Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

For anyone with little kiddies, there are a couple of Santa post boxes in town this year! One is in the Square and another outside the credit union.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Bailey43

Anyone traveling by train between 18th December and 6th January must reserve a seat.This includes people with free travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I see Gloria Jeans cafe in Manor has closed down. With that and the upstairs Debenhams owned restaurant shut, Costa must be making a fortune!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

ongarboy wrote: »
    I see Gloria Jeans cafe in Manor has closed down. With that and the upstairs Debenhams owned restaurant shut, Costa must be making a fortune!

It must be pretty grim in the centre now

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Sardonicat wrote: »
    It must be pretty grim in the centre now

It wasn't too bad this afternoon, bustling with nice festive vibe....apart from at the Debenhams end. Sad to see a huge store all shuttered up. The rest of the retail park was jammers!

• Advertisement

ongarboy wrote: »
    It wasn't too bad this afternoon, bustling with nice festive vibe....apart from at the Debenhams end. Sad to see a huge store all shuttered up. The rest of the retail park was jammers!

I wonder what the future holds for the Debenhams unit?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

My favourite thing in the centre at the moment is the Hannibal Lector cell they have the Santa doll in. Hello Clarice, have you been a good girl this year?

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

I wonder what the future holds for the Debenhams unit?
    Think there's a fair chance Marks & Sparks will move in. They're one of the few retailers holding their own at the moment.

Nothing's gonna happen though until the former Debenhams workers lift their blockade...

Quackster wrote: »
    Think there's a fair chance Marks & Sparks will move in. They're one of the few retailers holding their own at the moment.

Nothing's gonna happen though until the former Debenhams workers lift their blockade...
    Think that might be over soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,068 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Didn't M&S walk away the last time because they wanted to set up in the town centre, and the council wanted them in Manor West, the end result being that the council stuffed it up and M&S went to Killarney instead?

• Advertisement

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Didn't M&S walk away the last time because they wanted to set up in the town centre, and the council wanted them in Manor West, the end result being that the council stuffed it up and M&S went to Killarney instead?
    Other way round.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,068 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Other way round.

I knew it was one or the other :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭Paul Weller

Marks will not be coming to Tralee in any shape or form...the Debenhams unit is set to be subdivided between multiple tenants (hopefully)

Marks will not be coming to Tralee in any shape or form...the Debenhams unit is set to be subdivided between multiple tenants (hopefully)

Who, though?

Who, though?

A few names have been bandied about, but nothing definite as yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭E mac

A few names have been bandied about, but nothing definite as yet.

Tesco would veto any food based shops coming in as an anchor tenant. Would Lifestyle have the same 'pull' to veto sportswear outlets like sportsdirect/elverys.
    Something like Superdry would do serious harm to Parrafin.

E mac wrote: »
    Tesco would veto any food based shops coming in as an anchor tenant. Would Lifestyle have the same 'pull' to veto sportswear outlets like sportsdirect/elverys.

Well, that's it exactly re Tesco... Penny's are supposed to be interested in a portion though, could be interesting to see if that happens..as well as the Danes Jysk who pulled out of using the Dunnes stores unit in Bridge St.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Forge83

Well, that's it exactly re Tesco... Penny's are supposed to be interested in a portion though, could be interesting to see if that happens..as well as the Danes Jysk who pulled out of using the Dunnes stores unit in Bridge St.

Penny’s interested in a portion? Surely it would only make sense for them to take the whole unit, they would be wasting their time otherwise.
    The same with Jysk, they would need the whole unit.

A subdivision of that unit will see some more down town businesses move up which would be terrible for the town.

I wonder who will take the restaurant upstairs. A supermacs or KFC would clean up there. Or even an Eddie Rockets or Nando’s would do well there.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Forge83

DV8 have a lot of Superdry I think. Their shop in Killarney is a nice shop, far better than the shop in Tralee. A move to Manor would be good for them.
    An outlet shop like the Nike Factory in Killarney would be great. The likes of Adidas or Under Armour. I wonder how the Nike Factory actually ended up in Killarney....

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭E mac

Five shops I'd like to see at manor but absolutely zero chance of happening...

1. Krispy Kreme Be great initially prob get sick of quickly.
    2. Schuh Good for nothing too fancy shoes.
    3. Superdry Like Schuh nothing too fancy
    4. Landers Yes I know it's only 5 min walk away but it's a 5 min walk away...
    5. M&S A serious missed opportunity by Tralee

• Advertisement

Forge83 wrote: »
    Penny’s interested in a portion? Surely it would only make sense for them to take the whole unit, they would be wasting their time otherwise.
    The same with Jysk, they would need the whole unit.

A subdivision of that unit will see some more down town businesses move up which would be terrible for the town.
    Exactly. Any planning application to subdivide the unit would likely face numerous objections.

I don't think anyone on this thread can speak with absolute confidence on who will/won't occupy that unit. It's all speculation at this point.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 386 ✭✭Biafranlivemat

Five shops I'd like to see at manor but absolutely zero chance of happening...

1. Krispy Kreme Be great initially prob get sick of quickly.
    2. Schuh Good for nothing too fancy shoes.
    3. Superdry Like Schuh nothing too fancy
    4. Landers Yes I know it's only 5 min walk away but it's a 5 min walk away...
    5. M&S A serious missed opportunity by Tralee

I ate Krispy Kreme donuts once, all I could taste was sugar.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

The survey I posted a link up for recently was basically asking what shops people would like to see in Tralee. I did see a comment to it on the chamber alliance facebook page with a list of shops that should open here, one including Brown Thomas....that made me laugh!

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    The survey I posted a link up for recently was basically asking what shops people would like to see in Tralee. I did see a comment to it on the chamber alliance facebook page with a list of shops that should open here, one including Brown Thomas....that made me laugh!

Brown Thomas? They should put it next to Penneys!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

Brown Thomas? They should put it next to Penneys!

Or Guineys, it would make for interesting reading in Tralee do you know

• Registered Users Posts: 6,768 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

xxyyzz wrote: »
    Or Guineys, it would make for interesting reading in Tralee do you know

It's not like they are far away from each other. Tralee isn't exactly a metropolis!

It's not like they are far away from each other. Tralee isn't exactly a metropolis!

*Tralee Chamber Alliance does not approve of this message*

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Penneys have probably a stronger standing to go out to Manor West. M and S in terms of size would fill the space easily enough but the council refused it and went to Killarney. They might just do a grocery section for m and s and divide the space up with other shops.

The cafe sections M and S would be ideal but can’t see it happening. O’Briens, B B’s or Brambles or another franchise cafe/coffee place or fast food are more likely to take up space there. I’d have put costa or Starbucks there but they already have their own spots in manor west.

My guess it be a mix of shops is a more likely outcome the way it already was mixed with oasis’s, topshop aswell as Debenhams but be replaced with different shops. I’d like to see topshop come back though.

Shaws or another next outlet could be a possibility and vary what shops they have there under Shaws/Next. Think that’s what’s happening in the UK in some Debenhams stores that Next has taken over them with beauty/other items not clothes.

I doubt there is a big enough following for Brown Thomas when things can be bought online from there. The most they could do is cater for the beauty section.

I’d like to see Schuh, River Island, Diesel and Superdry and maybe other smaller shop spaces used up by other brands that you mainly find in cities. It would be nice if they had a Kilkenny shop or Avoca section aswell.

New look or H and M could be more likely choices as a full space than other stores. Penneys be more successful I think. There are two dunnes already I can’t see them having another. Carraig Donn in town could do with being in a bigger space.

Some shops need to stay in the town to keep things going there. They keep Penneys in the town even if they expanded out to manor.

Tkmaxx is already an outlet shop they might consider something similar. There are enough sports shops and shops selling sports gear in both sides of the town. Lifestyle sports left the town and are now in manor. Regatta I think would be a better option to bring into manor for sports wear.

My guess they will only put in a shop or set of shops that there is a market for them. Shops that suits everyone and all age groups. Also that they know what shops would do well and be successful.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

I’d like if they put milanos as a mini restaurant up stairs but there’s so many of them around the country. They have two in Limerick and Cork and one in Killarney. A cafe for everyone like other franchises might be a better option where everyone could go.

• Advertisement

Just to be clear, TTC didn't block M&S coming to Tralee, they refused planning permission to change the use of a specific unit at Manor that would have allowed M&S to trade from that unit. M&S would not require planning permission to move into the Debenhams unit. It's theirs for the taking if they want it.

Interestingly, several retailers have been trading in Manor in breach of planning for years and continue to get away with it. (Soundstore, Mr Price etc).

Advertisement