Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Felix Jones is God

NewCorkLad wrote: »
    I think anyone who feels the need to look down on other people enjoying a game which encourages exercise and social interaction and doesnt affect them in anyway need to have a long hard look at their life :rolleyes:

Aw, it doesn't encourage exercise and interaction, it encourages mindless stupidity with people not paying attention to where they walk, and its putting tens of millions into the coffers of the producers , and that is the reality of the situation....
    I see your :rolleyes: and raise you :D

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭kerryked

Better watch outs guys.....

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

AN explosion at a power station on the outskirts of Tralee caused the major power outage across the county this morning.

About 50,000 people around the county in Tralee, Killarney, Dingle, west Kerry and south Kerry were without power from just after 9am. The ESB are carrying out a full investigation into what happened at the transmission station in Laharn on the Listowel Road.

No one was injured in the explosion. Work is ongoing to repair the equipment but power was restored in most homes around the county by 11am.

http://traleetoday.ie/incident-laharn-station/

Did anybody hear the explosion? I don't live too far from that power station but I didn't hear anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭bobdcow

Well for me here, the lights dimmed, turned off, went full on again and off all within a second or 2 and the oven went off :-( - was it an actual BOOM?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

bobdcow wrote: »
    Well for me here, the lights dimmed, turned off, went full on again and off all within a second or 2 and the oven went off :-( - was it an actual BOOM?

I don't know, that's what I was wondering when they said explosion!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,527 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Aw, it doesn't encourage exercise and interaction, it encourages mindless stupidity with people not paying attention to where they walk, and its putting tens of millions into the coffers of the producers , and that is the reality of the situation....
    I see your :rolleyes: and raise you :D
    Apart from moments of complete stupidity which says more about the individuals than the game, Pokemon Go has had a pretty positive effect on people's lives.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/education/education-news/pok-mon-go-classroom-help-autistic-children-australia-craig-smith-a7144946.html

http://www.today.com/parents/how-pokemon-go-sparked-miracle-transformation-boy-autism-t100928

http://www.dailyedge.ie/humans-of-ireland-pokemon-go-2887309-Jul2016/

Autistic kids great, wonderful...but full grown adults chasing Pokemon....get out of here...sad acts

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Clab mor

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    No one was being negative. Just pointing out what is happening. Thanks for updating us, we weren't sure what was going on while those works were going to be on & if it would affect the street entertainment etc. Things like the street stalls will probably have to be moved from Denny st too & will the parade still go up Denny st?

Parade routes for Sat & Sun are unchanged!!!

Market stall locations are also unchanged... I see in the local papers that there is now a road closure in place for one lane of Denny street for the full week to facilitate and give more room for the stalls!!! There will be no access down the costa coffee lane from the mall.

The full list of events for the week is available on the website!!

From what I can gather the changes to Denny street are very minor in terms of work. Construction wise it's only kerbing, islands and a new pedestrian crossing..... I think!!

Clab mor wrote: »
    Parade routes for Sat & Sun are unchanged!!!

Market stall locations are also unchanged... I see in the local papers that there is now a road closure in place for one lane of Denny street for the full week to facilitate and give more room for the stalls!!! There will be no access down the costa coffee lane from the mall.

The full list of events for the week is available on the website!!

From what I can gather the changes to Denny street are very minor in terms of work. Construction wise it's only kerbing, islands and a new pedestrian crossing..... I think!!

I spotted an ad for it in the paper today. I see that an old 80's band, 'Cry Before Dawn' are playing on the Sat night in the square! That's a blast from the past!

Burger King in Tralee are doing home deliveries! I got a leaflet in the door today!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Pirates Ale

Called into Iceland there for a few bits and have to say there was a great little buzz around the horan centre shops with all of them doing business.
    Nice to see it.

I spotted an ad for it in the paper today. I see that an old 80's band, 'Cry Before Dawn' are playing on the Sat night in the square! That's a blast from the past!

Probably the only band worth having a look at during the whole festival, shocking selection of bands, perhaps Hermitage Green as well, but outside of that, ... Nathan shaggin Carter...give me strength !

Probably the only band worth having a look at during the whole festival, shocking selection of bands, perhaps Hermitage Green as well, but outside of that, ... Nathan shaggin Carter...give me strength !

How many years in a row has Nathan played now? :rolleyes:

How many years in a row has Nathan played now? :rolleyes:

Too many, he's like a Scouse boomerang, just keeps coming back

He sells tickets lads..... Brings a great crowd in from all over....

He's in the INEC 4-5 times a for 25 euro a ticket. They even had a whole weekend dedicated to him in May I think.

He sells tickets lads..... Brings a great crowd in from all over....

He's in the INEC 4-5 times a for 25 euro a ticket. They even had a whole weekend dedicated to him in May I think.

There are plenty of other acts that could be gotten in and that would draw the locals out.
    We've had huge artists here before, genuine stars, not a 1 trick piebald and his wagon wheel...just doesn't do it for me at all

There are plenty of other acts that could be gotten in and that would draw the locals out.
    We've had huge artists here before, genuine stars, not a 1 trick piebald and his wagon wheel...just doesn't do it for me at all

See it's not just about the locals .... From what I've heard through the years locals poorly support most of the paid gigs no matter who's performing.

Our national and international guests would most likely be the target audience!!

See it's not just about the locals .... From what I've heard through the years locals poorly support most of the paid gigs no matter who's performing.

Our national and international guests would most likely be the target audience!!

When there's something worth seeing, the locals will come out, it's that simple
    And there won't be many international tourists caring too much for Nathan Carter i suspect, his target audience is the Irish market

I'm just looking at it from my own point of view,and my musical taste... nothing to get excited about at all. I think Ballybunion have Ryan Sheridan in a few weeks, listowel have the Frank and Walters, riptide movement and the stunning...not a bad lineup at all...bring that to the dome and you'll make a killing , I'd pay €25 to see that.
    Don't forget, we used to see INXS, Big Country, James Brown here....the Rose is a big business now, plenty of money being taken in, from local business and corporate sponsorship... but not a huge amount of that money is seen spent on the streets of Tralee on previous years....and I see no reason to think this year will be any different

And there won't be many international tourists caring too much for Nathan Carter i suspect, his target audience is the Irish market

I'm just looking at it from my own point of view,and my musical taste... nothing to get excited about at all. I think Ballybunion have Ryan Sheridan in a few weeks, listowel have the Frank and Walters, riptide movement and the stunning...not a bad lineup at all...bring that to the dome and you'll make a killing , I'd pay €25 to see that.
    Don't forget, we used to see INXS, Big Country, James Brown here....the Rose is a big business now, plenty of money being taken in, bjtg local business and corporate sponsorship... but not a huge amount of that money is seen spent on the streets of Tralee on previous years....and I see no reason to think this year will be any different

INXS?? when did they play here?? :eek:

INXS?? when did they play here?? :eek:

You were in college.... we had this conversation before ;)

• Advertisement

Ryan Sheridan is going to Kilflynn - Enchanted Lands Festival - can't find the link on facebook

I don't think Tralee as a whole appreciate the festival, what we have. Locals don't support it fully, you can see it with the crowds every year they just aren't there. I don't believe the businesses support the festival as best they can, when Guinness sponsorship dried up the quality went down and I don't think the organizers cater for what the locals would like.

Felix is correct, if there is something worth seeing the locals will come out and the organisers need to cop on to that, but on the flip side the locals do need to support it more even if it's not worth seeing.

Not Tralee related but I heard at KFest there was a drama going on and 6 people showed up to it - that must be soul destroying for the performers, so can you blame the Festival for going with a sure thing in Nathan Carter? he will and does bring in a crowd.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,784 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

So there seems to be a coalition of opinion now that the court house must remain in the town centre.

Meanwhile the council is wondering what to do with the old Denny site.

Seems like a no-brainer to me, especially as it would comfortably take a new Garda station as well.

http://https://www.facebook.com/Enchantedlandsfestival/

For the festival in Kilflynn - Ryan Sheridan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

Nathan Carter is a stain on humanity.

Don't forget, we used to see INXS, Big Country, James Brown here....the Rose is a big business now, plenty of money being taken in, from local business and corporate sponsorship... but not a huge amount of that money is seen spent on the streets of Tralee on previous years....and I see no reason to think this year will be any different

At a recent breakfast meeting between traders and festival it was reported street entertainment is costing in excess of 350 thousand. A lot of the costs associated with the streets are swallowed up in security stages lighting sound appearance fees etc.

It's important to remember that the Rose of Tralee isn't a music festival. Yes it has always featured a lot of music acts buts this is only complimentary to the main event which is the selection of the Rose!!

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭The_Mac

At a recent breakfast meeting between traders and festival it was reported street entertainment is costing in excess of 350 thousand. A lot of the costs associated with the streets are swallowed up in security stages lighting sound appearance fees etc.

It's important to remember that the Rose of Tralee isn't a music festival. Yes it has always featured a lot of music acts buts this is only complimentary to the main event which is the selection of the Rose!!

Ah now lets be fair the music is all anyone talks about. And it's a crap selection again this year. I recall them saying last year since they were upping the number of days of the festival they were upping the quality of acts. I mean a few years ago we had JLS and the Coronas playing, there's not even some washed up band from X Factor this year.

The_Mac wrote: »
    Ah now lets be fair the music is all anyone talks about. And it's a crap selection again this year. I recall them saying last year since they were upping the number of days of the festival they were upping the quality of acts. I mean a few years ago we had JLS and the Coronas playing, there's not even some washed up band from X Factor this year.

Reggie and Bollie were actually X Factor finalists........

Besides that You are also incorrect in saying it is only the music acts that people talk about .....and that is a typical local comment!

There are three parades featuring up to 15 national and international marching bands. Overall about 900 participants.......

An aerial acrobat style show in the trees of the town park.

A HUGE host of family entertainment in the town park.

The Rose selection nights are viewed by nearly three quarters of a million people with another couple of hundred thousand viewing online all over the world.

And the Rose ball is already sold out for about 1500 people........

The Rose of Tralee is so much more than what locals see it! It's such a pity...

Are the stage, lighting and sound systems rented out or do the Rose of Tralee own them?

• Advertisement

Reggie and Bollie were actually X Factor finalists........

Besides that You are also incorrect in saying it is only the music acts that people talk about .....and that is a typical local comment!

There are three parades featuring up to 15 national and international marching bands. Overall about 900 participants.......

An aerial acrobat style show in the trees of the town park.

A HUGE host of family entertainment in the town park.

The Rose selection nights are viewed by nearly three quarters of a million people with another couple of hundred thousand viewing online all over the world.

And the Rose ball is already sold out for about 1500 people........

The Rose of Tralee is so much more than what locals see it! It's such a pity...

Do you work for the festival or chamber alliance by any chance? ;)

Advertisement