Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

xxyyzz wrote: »
    It looks like they have decided not to refurbish the courthouse and are going to move it to the island of geese. Shameful IMHO, in the same week that the council decided there was no suitable site for a small bikepark in Tralee that only required an acre or 2. The council couldn't give a damn about rejuvenating the town centre as far as I can see. Just business as usual for them and no incentive to think outside the box. http://traleetoday.ie/daly-expresses-disappointment-at-decision-to-move-courts-from-tralee-courthouse/

I don't think they have confirmed where it will be going, so it may not be the Island of the Geese....although I reckon that's what they are aiming for. But nothing has been announced. This was only mentioned last night by Pa Daly, so no further information has been given yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    I don't think they have confirmed where it will be going, so it may not be the Island of the Geese....although I reckon that's what they are aiming for. But nothing has been announced. This was only mentioned last night by Pa Daly, so no further information has been given yet.

April of 2019 the court services made an offer of up to €4million to the Dept of Defence for the Ballymullen site, at no time has an official reply been forthcoming.
    Regardless of what has been reported in the media, all parties knew this & it is not the preferred option of the town's solicitors.... although... they do want to move ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

"De Denny's site was left to de people of Tralee" is the cry from Facebook....
    It was dumped on the KCC's lap ...it has cost at least 1.5 million euro to date andd I don't think any of the hoi polloi put their hands in their pockets for this?
    The KCC is cashstrapped...the golden goose is long dead, so ...there will be shops. apartments...and most definitely a new court house as the court services had set aside up to €4 million to purchase a new site.
    What did people actually think was going to happen? ...a bike/skateboard park in a prime site in town?! Not even the most gullible person would have believed that
    You're conflating issues here, firstly I worked for Kerry group and I know they give nothing to anyone for free. It was laughable they handed over that asbestos riddled building claiming it was a gift. However, I never said the bikepark should be at the island of geese. There was a site agreed elsewhere in town and then they backed out of it. I know people put over 3 years work into it to get the project to where it was and most of the funding was agreed for grants etc. Dealing with the council is like pushing a boulder up a mountain.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

You're conflating issues here, firstly I worked for Kerry group and I know they give nothing to anyone for free. It was laughable they handed over that asbestos riddled building claiming it was a gift. However, I never said the bikepark should be at the island of geese. There was a site agreed elsewhere in town and then they backed out of it. I know people put over 3 years work into it to get the project to where it was and most of the funding was agreed for grants etc. Dealing with the council is like pushing a boulder up a mountain.

Where was the site they had agreed?

If the site is no longer available to purchase, then not much can be done on that front... landowner may have had a better offer, or a change of mind.. who knows..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Forge83

If the site is no longer available to purchase, then not much can be done on that front... landowner may have had a better offer, or a change of mind.. who knows..

Surely KCC own enough land that they wouldn’t have to look to purchase more land for this project....
    Do they own that spot the Circus were stuck in for months?
    How about the waste land area beside the Tralee harriers track, is that salvageable?
    The Tralee Sports complex pitches seem to be extremely under used now due to the ITT North campus facilities, Tralee town council jointly own it I think so possibly an option.
    In short, I’m sure they have a site available in their inventory if they really wanted to.

Forge83 wrote: »
    Surely KCC own enough land that they wouldn’t have to look to purchase more land for this project....
    Do they own that spot the Circus were stuck in for months?
    How about the waste land area beside the Tralee harriers track, is that salvageable?
    The Tralee Sports complex pitches seem to be extremely under used now due to the ITT North campus facilities, Tralee town council jointly own it I think so possibly an option.
    In short, I’m sure they have a site available in their inventory if they really wanted to.

No idea who owns the land the circus was on tbh.... there were discussions with TTC nearly 30 years ago for land beside the Sports Complex...there were discussions in conjunction with the Mitchels Regeneration about 8 year's ago, it never went beyond preliminary discussions as the land was granted to the Gaelcolaiste for their new building.
    Unfortunately, a bike/skate park isn't high on the council's priority list at the moment...it's a niche market... insurance costs....and maintenance would all be problematic... nothing much has changed in all this time

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

It looks like they have decided not to refurbish the courthouse and are going to move it to the island of geese. Shameful IMHO, in the same week that the council decided there was no suitable site for a small bikepark in Tralee that only required an acre or 2. The council couldn't give a damn about rejuvenating the town centre as far as I can see. Just business as usual for them and no incentive to think outside the box. http://traleetoday.ie/daly-expresses-disappointment-at-decision-to-move-courts-from-tralee-courthouse/
    It would be an absolutely fantastic result IMO for the town if a new purpose-built courthouse is constructed in the Island of Geese. Only suitable available location in the town centre. Moving to the outskirts of town would be a poor alternative that would take business from the town centre.

Refurbishing the existing courthouse and extending it into nonexistent adjacent space is nothing but a deluded fantasy that would consume vast amounts of money.

No idea who owns the land the circus was on tbh.... there were discussions with TTC nearly 30 years ago for land beside the Sports Complex...there were discussions in conjunction with the Mitchels Regeneration about 8 year's ago, it never went beyond preliminary discussions as the land was granted to the Gaelcolaiste for their new building.
    Unfortunately, a bike/skate park isn't high on the council's priority list at the moment...it's a niche market... insurance costs....and maintenance would all be problematic... nothing much has changed in all this time

So the reality is they don’t really want to do it.
    Personally I would agree that it’s not a wise investment due to the reasons you have listed above. But I don’t understand why don’t just nip it in the bud with those who are pursuing the idea rather than giving them false hope.

Quackster wrote: »
    It would be a fantastic result IMO for the town if a new purpose-built courthouse is constructed in the Island of Geese. Only suitable available location in the town centre. Moving to the outskirts of town would be a poor alternative that would take business from the town centre.

Refurbishing the existing courthouse and extending it into nonexistent adjacent space is nothing but a deluded fantasy that would consume vast amounts of money.

I’ve heard the phrase “take business from the town centre a lot”
    How much business would it actually take? Or is it really just a sound bite excuse to keep the courthouse in the town centre closer to solicitors existing offices...
    Genuine question.

• Advertisement

It was dumped on the KCC's lap ...it has cost at least 1.5 million euro to date andd I don't think any of the hoi polloi put their hands in their pockets for this?
    The KCC is cashstrapped...the golden goose is long dead, so ...there will be shops. apartments...and most definitely a new court house as the court services had set aside up to €4 million to purchase a new site.
    What did people actually think was going to happen? ...a bike/skateboard park in a prime site in town?! Not even the most gullible person would have believed that
    Exactly this. Folk have been kidding themselves about the Island of Geese. Council had no choice but to accept the 'gift' but it's a financial noose and the council have no money to develop it themselves.

Apart from working with other state agencies to provide infrastructure that is actually for the benefit of the public, the only other option is entering into arrangements with private interests to provide commercially-oriented development.

Personally I would agree that it’s not a wise investment due to the reasons you have listed above. But I don’t understand why don’t just nip it in the bud with those who are pursuing the idea rather than giving them false hope.

It's not even that tbh...there were people who had been involved many years ago who wanted to get the project sorted,
    but they were looking for grant aid.. ministry of sport etc to help out...and it still looks like it's going to be years down the line.
    It seems that insurance is a problem.. There was a mountain biking international competition to be held in Killarney, ( a Tralee man was involved in the national organisation committee) on private lands in the mountains....it would have been a huge money spinner, many hundred if people to the area... future competitions to be held..... and the KCC pulled the plug on it

The issue wasn't insurance though, it was to do with purchasing the site but they had no backup option and absolutely no intention of getting one. It might sound naive but insurance isn't a good enough reason to stop building amenities in town that make it a better place to live for kids. I'm sh#t sick of hearing this excuse that we have to wrap kids in bubble wrap and not have anywhere to play because some bean counter in an insurance company who has never swung a leg over a bike has entered some data into an algorithm and the computer said no. Every major town in the uk has an amenity like this. There's nothing more frustrating than listening to insurance apologists saying that you can't have this or that because some toerag will make a claim. It works in every other country perfectly fine but councils can't be bothered their holes because there is no incentives for them to go the extra mile to make these things happen. Rant over

There are plenty of skating and mountain biking facilities around the country which all seem to have somehow overcome the insurance issue.

I
    It seems that insurance is a problem.. There was a mountain biking international competition to be held in Killarney, ( a Tralee man was involved in the national organisation committee) on private lands in the mountains....it would have been a huge money spinner, many hundred if people to the area... future competitions to be held..... and the KCC pulled the plug on it

That has been built and has run 3 national level events already. It's open by invitation only. Nothing to do with kcc. It was a cycling Ireland bureaucracy issue.

https://www.facebook.com/shronaboyfarm/

That has been built and has run 3 national level events already. It's open by invitation only. Nothing to do with kcc. It was a cycling Ireland bureaucracy issue.

https://www.facebook.com/shronaboyfarm/

I don't think that's the same event

I'm pretty much 100 percent it is. There was big talk of holding a world cup event there originally as it has the potential to be one of the longest downhill tracks in Ireland and the UK but that fell through because of cycling Ireland red tape. It opened on a smaller scale in 2019. I'm mates with the lads who built the track.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Johnthemanager

Has anyone seen any Covid check points on the Tralee - castle island - killarney roads lately?

I'm pretty much 100 percent it is. There was big talk of holding a world cup event there originally as it has the potential to be one of the longest downhill tracks in Ireland and the UK but that fell through because of cycling Ireland red tape. It opened on a smaller scale in 2019. I'm mates with the lads who built the track.

The person I was referring to is actually from the Tralee area and it was according to him KCC instructions on shutting it down.
    I'll try to find out and let you know

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

Plus it makes a lot of sense to co-locate with the Garda Station assuming that the move to beside the Rose Hotel is not happening anytime soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

How much business would it actually take? Or is it really just a sound bite excuse to keep the courthouse in the town centre closer to solicitors existing offices...
    Genuine question.

Broadly yeah. The other proposals are a stand alone Court in Ballymullen Barracks or a joint Garda Divisional HQ and Courts at the site on the Ballymullen side of the Rose Hotel. It is true that Solicitors in the main just want to be able to walk easily to/from their offices to the Court and Court services office.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭cms88

Genuine question.

This is very likely part of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭cms88

I can never understand so many people looking for a stake park. Is there even a demand for it? I can't say i've noticed too many skateboarders etc around town.

It's something imo that would be left ideal very soon after it opned

Just to be clear, because users above are conflating issues, the skate park and the bikepark are are completely separate projects. The skatepark project has been going for years and years but I think it got a bit of traction in the last few months. They got agreement and planning permission for a site in the complex and now need some crowdfunding to get it over the line. The bikepark is a completely separate project https://mtbky.ie/bikepark/tralee-urban-bike-park/ . Last year the council agreed to purchase a site for it and it looked to be going ahead but the owners of the site had a change of heart and the council are being extremely unhelpful in locating a second site claiming there is nothing suitable. Shannon town has a pumptrack similar to this and it's mobbed by kids. Insurance is not an issue for them. https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1232596473604604&id=381796002017993

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Just to be clear, because users above are conflating issues, the skate park and the bikepark are are completely separate projects. The skatepark project has been going for years and years but I think it got a bit of traction in the last few months. They got agreement for a site in the complex and now need some crowdfunding to get it over the line. The bikepark is a completely separate project https://mtbky.ie/bikepark/tralee-urban-bike-park/ . Last year the council agreed to purchase a site for it and it looked to be going ahead but the owners of the site had a change of heart and the council are being extremely unhelpful in locating a second site claiming there is nothing suitable. Shannon town has a pumptrack similar to this and it's mobbed by kids. Insurance is not an issue for them.

I was in Westport about 5 years ago and noticed they have a superb amenity park just outside the town centre. They have a playground, outdoor gym equipment and I'm nearly sure there was some sort of skatepark there too. It looked great.

I was in Westport about 5 years ago and noticed they have a superb amenity park just outside the town centre. They have a playground, outdoor gym equipment and I'm nearly sure there was some sort of skatepark there too. It looked great.

It is and like the movie, if you build it they will come. Pretty much every bikshop in the country was sold out all last year from people buying bikes during lockdown. The demand for these facilities is massive and the cost is pretty negligible when you consider that the council are looking at the feasibility of turning the lock gates into a swimming facility it's a drop in the ocean.

There's one just off Western Road in Cork as well. The insurance thing is just a line people trot out when they don't want something to work IMO.

Has anyone seen any Covid check points on the Tralee - castle island - killarney roads lately?
    Yes. Plenty.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Johnthemanager

Quackster wrote: »
    Yes. Plenty.

Were "essential" workers so we have been working through the lockdown. I was just curious because I'm doing listowel to killarney daily but I haven't come across any yet.

In comparison to the first lockdown they were everywhere.

I haven't noticed much of a difference in traffic either.

• Advertisement

Were "essential" workers so we have been working through the lockdown. I was just curious because I'm doing listowel to killarney daily but I haven't come across any yet.

In comparison to the first lockdown they were everywhere.

I haven't noticed much of a difference in traffic either.
    Cork side of Killarney and Limerick side of Castleisland probably been targeted most I would guess. The levels of traffic are pretty baffling alright.

Hopefully the Gardaí will be more liberal in handling out fines in the days ahead to those who don't have the appropriate work letters or other proof of essential travel.

Advertisement