Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

I think they were setting up outside Counihans shop in town today.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

My Mom got stopped by the Gardai in Princes Street last Monday morning. I haven't seen any checkpoints at all this time, between going to work and shopping.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Costa have decided to close from Today until further notice. They are too quiet apparently. My husband said they were so quiet on Saturday and then there was a big long queue outside Parkgate Coffee in Princes street (which was why he ended up going to Costa as he didn't have time to wait).

Its very hard for any business who is trying to stay open and coffee shops are probably not selling much coffee at the moment to justify staying open. I saw also that La Scala have decided to close too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭JohnGreenFan

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    Costa have decided to close from Today until further notice. They are too quiet apparently. My husband said they were so quiet on Saturday and then there was a big long queue outside Parkgate Coffee in Princes street (which was why he ended up going to Costa as he didn't have time to wait).

Its very hard for any business who is trying to stay open and coffee shops are probably not selling much coffee at the moment to justify staying open. I saw also that La Scala have decided to close too.

Is that both Costas or just the one in town?

Great to see Parkgate doing so well though, always a big queue outside whenever I've passed.

Is that both Costas or just the one in town?

Great to see Parkgate doing so well though, always a big queue outside whenever I've passed.

I don't know actually, I only know the one in the town centre is closed.

• Advertisement

Did anyone hear anything about Shaw's going out of business? I have heard it from 2 different people now that they won't be reopening?

Sad to hear if its true. Hopefully its not true though. They are in Tralee a long time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

Did anyone hear anything about Shaw's going out of business? I have heard it from 2 different people now that they won't be reopening?

Sad to hear if its true. Hopefully its not true though. They are in Tralee a long time.

Burton were going into administration just before Christmas... Shaw's themselves i don't know.... but there are always rumours about them..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭JohnGreenFan

Have heard from staff in there for the past couple of months to use vouchers if you have them as they were expecting to be closing. Apparently Tralee store was doing quite well but stores in other places were not.

Burton were going into administration just before Christmas... Shaw's themselves i don't know.... but there are always rumours about them..

Burton & Wallis are just concession stores in there, but they are gone as part of the Arcadia group, which have gone into administration. Shaws don't seem to have an online store, so that won't have helped.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

If Shaws closes, that is the final nail in the coffin for that part of town (Dunnes, Quinlans bar, Lifestyle, Val O'Sheas, Ela Maria, Abbey Inn, Caballs, the empty joke that is the Tralee Shopping Centre, Jasmine, old never re-occupied Shindig unit, Dish and a few more all gone before it).

Major business failing that Shaws doesn't do online retailing. (Even pre COVID, that was a necessity for most retail businesses to be able to thrive)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Bailey43

Quackster wrote: »
    Yes. Plenty.

There was a checkpoint out in curaheen just beyond the church on Saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Forge83

The Elverys unit in town is up for lease on Daft with REAs.
    So it looks like they are either on the move to manor or out of Tralee completely.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,779 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Forge83 wrote: »
    So it looks like they are either on the move to manor or out of Tralee completely.
    Old Mothercare unit would suit them. Unless pigs have finally gained the ability to fly and Dunnes have done a deal on the Bridge St unit (fingers & toes crossed they have). Old Guineys unit is another potential option but it'd need significant alterations to make it suitable IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭E mac

Just looked it up on Daft the speakers coming through the glass of the front window is an old reminder of when Kielys electrical were tenants there.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,779 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Burton & Wallis are just concession stores in there, but they are gone as part of the Arcadia group, which have gone into administration. Shaws don't seem to have an online store, so that won't have helped.
    Looks like Next is going to buy Arcadia so I guess it'll depend on whether they take on Arcadia's Irish operations as part of the deal.

That's been up for lease since early last year. They have been looking for a new location in Tralee for a while now.

That's been up for lease since early last year. They have been looking for a new location in Tralee for a while now.

Indeed, they had agreed to take on the ground floor of the carpetright store in Manor, but the upstairs was then wanted...and the price was too much.
    They still want to move to that side of town though

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭newman10

ongarboy wrote: »
    If Shaws closes, that is the final nail in the coffin for that part of town (Dunnes, Quinlans bar, Lifestyle, Val O'Sheas, Ela Maria, Abbey Inn, Caballs, the empty joke that is the Tralee Shopping Centre, Jasmine, old never re-occupied Shindig unit, Dish and a few more all gone before it).

Major business failing that Shaws doesn't do online retailing. (Even pre COVID, that was a necessity for most retail businesses to be able to thrive)

Shaws have an online presence but it really should be through their own site

https://goss.ie/featured-2/now-you-can-shop-shaws-department-store-online-209068

Dont think Superdry will be opening any shops soon, they are under serious threat

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2021/jan/19/superdry-covid-19-sales-shares-revenues

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭adam88

E mac wrote: »
    Just looked it up on Daft the speakers coming through the glass of the front window is an old reminder of when Kielys electrical were tenants there.

Where did Kielys go to after the mall. I’ve memories of it as a young fella going in there with the parents. Would it have been where Iceland is now ??

adam88 wrote: »
    Where did Kielys go to after the mall. I’ve memories of it as a young fella going in there with the parents. Would it have been where Iceland is now ??

Ya spot on. Moved to bigger digs where Iceland is now.

• Advertisement

newman10 wrote: »
    Shaws have an online presence but it really should be through their own site

https://goss.ie/featured-2/now-you-can-shop-shaws-department-store-online-209068

Dont think Superdry will be opening any shops soon, they are under serious threat

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2021/jan/19/superdry-covid-19-sales-shares-revenues

You would wonder if a lockdown continued for say another 12 months taking in next Christmas what retailers would be left. Not just in Tralee but Europe for example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Arsenal11

Hi lads ,

I am moving to tralee at the end of the year...

I am looking to buy an apartment..

Looking for recommendations for areas that are nice / it so nice..

Ivy Terrace look fine to me wondering if anyone has an experience of this place

All recommendations and help is greatly appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭ruffmut

adam88 wrote: »

Kielys went up to the Horan centre before they closed down.

Arsenal11 wrote: »
    Hi lads ,

Please don't post regarding this in more than one thread anymore, can you just stick to this thread from now on. Thanks MOD

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Arsenal11 wrote: »
    Hi lads ,

If you are referring to the Parklands apartments above Guineys, I heard some bad antisocial behaviour activities going on there a couple of years ago. Non-residents seemingly congregating, making noise, boozing and causing damage in the common areas and throwing stones at pedestrians etc from the rooftop. I think a resident wrote to the media outlining their despair. I'm not sure if that has all been brought under control now.

I had a friend who lived in Oakview village for a couple of years (next to Greyhound track on Brewery Road) and they loved it. Spacious, modern apartments and very peaceful. Only 10 minutes walk into town centre and 5 mins from bus/train station. Not sure if they have availability at the moment though. Check rent.ie or Daft.

This is the kind of thing we should be looking to build in Tralee https://openhousedublin.com/locations/site-specific-playpark/

xxyyzz wrote: »
    This is the kind of thing we should be looking to build in Tralee https://openhousedublin.com/locations/site-specific-playpark/

Saw that on nationwide tonight...it's part of a larger playground area too...so chances are unless they build it in the town park, it won't happen ?

Saw that on nationwide tonight...it's part of a larger playground area too...so chances are unless they build it in the town park, it won't happen ?

I'm under no illusion that it will be built but the video puts paid to the notion that there is no demand for skateparks and bikeparks etc. If you build them they will be used. You can see how much the kids in the video love the place and have taken responsibility for it. People in Tralee have put in so much work behind the scenes out of their own free time over the last few years to get something like this and there is just zero help from the council.

Not strictly Tralee news, but I've just seen that the great Jerry Kiernan has passed away...9th in the 1984 Olympic marathon and the best middle distance runner bar none we've produced down here

• Advertisement

I spotted a big load of graffiti on the gable wall of the terraced houses just up near St. Brendan's Church. Its the house that has the big Austin Stacks sign on it but someone has spray painted on the wall, including the words 'f**k the gardai'! Not nice to see.

Advertisement