Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭cms88

Anybody know what businesses are behind the "re-open Tralee" movement for March 1st ?

The only Kerry business i;ve head of saying they're going to open etc is Paul Treyvaud in Killarney but that's in July. But at the same time he loves the soud of his own voice so will do anything to get hi face in the media.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

I haven't seen the letter, but I did hear about it and apparently its basically a copy of a letter that was doing the rounds in England too. So some group or someone has just copied it and are trying to get it going here. I doubt any business here is going to do it, but its very tough for them to be closed and have another 6 weeks added on.
    What annoyed me the most about these extended restrictions was that they kept the 5km limit. I really wish they had extended it. The better the weather gets, the more people are going to the same places, such as the park, Wetlands, Ballyseedy and they are all too busy. At least if they extended it a bit, people can spread out a bit more. If you bring your kids to the playground, its packed!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    I haven't seen the letter, but I did hear about it and apparently its basically a copy of a letter that was doing the rounds in England too. So some group or someone has just copied it and are trying to get it going here. I doubt any business here is going to do it, but its very tough for them to be closed and have another 6 weeks added on.
    What annoyed me the most about these extended restrictions was that they kept the 5km limit. I really wish they had extended it. The better the weather gets, the more people are going to the same places, such as the park, Wetlands, Ballyseedy and they are all too busy. At least if they extended it a bit, people can spread out a bit more. If you bring your kids to the playground, its packed!

I heard on Matt Cooper that whatever way they drafted the rent eviction freeze legislation, it is tied to the 5km rule, so if they lift the 5km rule then the freeze on evictions gets lifted also which is a farce IMHO. I can live with all the other restrictions but the 5km rule stopping you doing exercise any distance from your house is ridiculous, particularly with the evenings getting longer. I can go to a crowded supermarket but I can't go to an empty beach. It would make a lot more sense to just stop inter-county travel and a lot easier for the guards to implement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

An article in the independent hinting that it's the Irish Freedom Party, Hermann Kelly & Ben Gilroy's mob.... anyone who throws their lot in with them deserves to be chucked in jail

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭phater phagan

An article in the independent hinting that it's the Irish Freedom Party, Hermann Kelly & Ben Gilroy's mob.... anyone who throws their lot in with them deserves to be chucked in jail

Didn't they have a candidate "Mairead Donovan" running in the Kerry elections who didn't actually exist?

• Advertisement

Didn't they have a candidate "Mairead Donovan" running in the Kerry elections who didn't actually exist?

Thats correct, they placed her details and a stock image on their site....when the media discovered it, the party claimed it was a website creators error.
    They are a despicable bunch & hopefully their time will be very short lived, so far they've never had any support at the poling stations

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭The_Kitty

The restrictions are the same until April 5th... but there's an open letter floating around on social media stating Tralee businesses will reopen on March 1st.
    I've not seen any actual business state they will reopen on that date though

It will probably be more like July as we usually have similar restrictions to UK and its July before they are lifting them. I see in Dunnes last weekend they are after taping off the homewares and what little clothing they had out. They still have pyjamas and underwear out and a tiny bit of loungewear.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭Degag

cms88 wrote: »
    The only Kerry business i;ve head of saying they're going to open etc is Paul Treyvaud in Killarney but that's in July. But at the same time he loves the soud of his own voice so will do anything to get hi face in the media.

Yep, i do admire the guy cause he has built himself up quite a way from a small restaurant in Killarney but i had to stop following on SM. Every post was just an attempt to go viral. Fair annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,768 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

The_Kitty wrote: »
    It will probably be more like July as we usually have similar restrictions to UK and its July before they are lifting them. I see in Dunnes last weekend they are after taping off the homewares and what little clothing they had out. They still have pyjamas and underwear out and a tiny bit of loungewear.

It's daft that I can go into an off licence and buy a case of beer and yet it's illegal to sell shoes for kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Anyone recommend a good bike mechanic around?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

It's daft that I can go into an off licence and buy a case of beer and yet it's illegal to sell shoes for kids.

Its not illegal to buy shoes for kids, you can get them anywhere (obviously mainly online), but if you ask the staff in Dunnes for a pair they will sell them. Someone told me they even just picked a pair off the shelf in dunnes and went to the self service checkout an bought them!

keane2097 wrote: »

Anthony O'Halloran in Boherbee is the one most people would use for serious bikes... Caballs in Staughtons Row for normal bikes is the best way I can put it

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Anthony O'Halloran in Boherbee is the one most people would use for serious bikes... Caballs in Staughtons Row for normal bikes is the best way I can put it

I follow you, that's what I was after :) Anthony O'Halloran it is!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

keane2097 wrote: »

If it's a mountainbike then Denis O'Shea in the big little bike shop in Killarney otherwise O'Halloran's cycles although he can be a little peculiar to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭JonathonS

xxyyzz wrote: »
    ...otherwise O'Halloran's cycles although he can be a little peculiar to deal with.

as can we all, these days.

Like the song says:

And so I cry sometimes
    When I'm lying in bed
    Just to get it all out
    What's in my head
    And I am feeling a little peculiar :confused:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NXnxTNIWkc&ab_channel=4NonBlondesVEVO

1 billion views, definitely the perfect song for the times that are in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭newman10

Its not illegal to buy shoes for kids, you can get them anywhere (obviously mainly online), but if you ask the staff in Dunnes for a pair they will sell them. Someone told me they even just picked a pair off the shelf in dunnes and went to the self service checkout an bought them!

Not correct
    Shoes are Non Essential items and should only be purchased online and Click'n'Collect is also not allowed :confused:

newman10 wrote: »
    Not correct
    Shoes are Non Essential items and should only be purchased online and Click'n'Collect is also not allowed :confused:

Click and collect is allowed if the business is open, I've used with Dunnes and Ch chemist in last couple of days!

Tell me any shoe shops that are open.

Where did I say any are open? I said you can contact them if you need them and they will send them out. I also said, if you ask staff in Dunnes or Tesco, they can get them for you.

newman10 wrote: »
    Not correct

Kids clothes and shoes were deemed essential. The dunnes click and collect is running, i get all my stuff for work from it.

• Advertisement

Where did I say any are open? I said you can contact them if you need them and they will send them out. I also said, if you ask staff in Dunnes or Tesco, they can get them for you.

I was referring to shoe shops. Tesco/Dunnes are not shoe shops.
    There are none open as they are deemed not essential.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭newman10

Kids clothes and shoes were deemed essential. The dunnes click and collect is running, i get all my stuff for work from it.

Click'n'Collect should not be available under Level 5 Restrictions and the likes of Dunnes allowing it it another set of we can do what we want !!

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/2dc71-level-5/#retail-and-services-for-example-hairdressers-beauticians-barbers

I have too and I picked up a click and collect from CH chemist on Friday.

My understanding was that click & collect wasn't allowed if the shop was closed? I know Dunnes had to remove their 'reserve and collect' option from their website.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭poppy37

Anyone know if Soundstore in Manor is open? I have to return a small appliance bought online and could do it when doing the big grocery shop if it’s open.

poppy37 wrote: »
    Anyone know if Soundstore in Manor is open? I have to return a small appliance bought online and could do it when doing the big grocery shop if it’s open.

Yes they are open

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭poppy37

Yes they are open

Thanks Ciarrai

Sorry to cut back again to this, I won't do it again. but if anyone is stuck for shoes Walsh Brothers in town have next day delivery and respond to messages really quickly if you have issues/queries.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭kev_Makaveli

Anywhere around the tralee area I could get. 1 tonne bag of topsoil. Doesn't need to be screened

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭You the man

Anywhere around the tralee area I could get. 1 tonne bag of topsoil. Doesn't need to be screened

Try Boyles in clash.
    I got it there before. Approx €70 for 1 ton bag delivered..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭Sikpupi

Anyone know where I can get Chinese Cooking Wine in Tralee.

Or even... any recommendations for shops selling Chinese ingredients and/ or ware like bowls, pans etc.

Am going thru my Chinese Cooking phase (via You Tube) as well as watching yer man on Maura & Daithia in the afternoon show. But finding all sauces need some Chinese Cooking Wine.... which seems to hard to find.

Many thanks.

Advertisement