Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Felix Jones is God

Clab mor wrote: »
    Reggie and Bollie were actually X Factor finalists........

Besides that You are also incorrect in saying it is only the music acts that people talk about .....and that is a typical local comment!

There are three parades featuring up to 15 national and international marching bands. Overall about 900 participants.......

An aerial acrobat style show in the trees of the town park.

A HUGE host of family entertainment in the town park.

The Rose selection nights are viewed by nearly three quarters of a million people with another couple of hundred thousand viewing online all over the world.

And the Rose ball is already sold out for about 1500 people........

The Rose of Tralee is so much more than what locals see it! It's such a pity...

The reality is that the Rose festival is a nuisance to people living in town, it's a week of lost sleep , rubbish, banging on doors and windows and general feckery by pissheads.
    The quality of entertainment is dire and I am being kind! Reggie and Bollie...who dafuq are they? :D nobody cares...
    The only businesses to make money during the festival are bars, hotels and takeaways....the normal businesses in town could shut their doors for s few days,
    The Rose show is the ultimate in kitsch, and it is watched by many outside the county....I don't get the popularity and neither do many more...
    But, it provides monies to certain sectors of the town for a week, and we as residents and business people grit our teeth and bear it for another week, but we ain't going to be singing Happy with Pharrell.....btw, he ain't coming either this year

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭bobdcow

I do enjoy the festival and now that I have kiddies it's great to see them enjoy it too - but one thing I don't "get" about the festival is the Rose Ball, and hype that surrounds it.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Clab mor

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    Do you work for the festival or chamber alliance by any chance? ;)

Afraid not..... but I have grown up with it all my life and it always hits a nerve when I hear locals discrediting it.... It's such a shame.....

Pubs and clubs will be packed...... Every hotel room and apartment booked out..... Shops in the town centre will be busier..... Taxis will be busier...... It creates jobs in the dome for bar staff and waiters....... Visiting families make use of the wetlands...Aqua dome and other attractions and the groups that visit often take in muckross house or west Kerry and wild Atlantic way........

I'm sure you will see a report about it in the papers the week after the festival BUT generally the gardai report very little incidents during the week.....

Of course it brings an element of inconvenience to some locals but infairness it's one week out of 52 which has enormous benefits for the town.

If Killarney had what we have we'd be moaning that there's nothing in Tralee....

bobdcow wrote: »
    I do enjoy the festival and now that I have kiddies it's great to see them enjoy it too - but one thing I don't "get" about the festival is the Rose Ball, and hype that surrounds it.

When last did you attend?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

I've only been to the ball once, many years ago, but I loved it. My parents used to go every year for years and I know a lot of people who still go to it. I would love to go again sometime. It's a really good night.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Afraid not..... but I have grown up with it all my life and it always hits a nerve when I hear locals discrediting it.... It's such a shame.....

Pubs and clubs will be packed...... Every hotel room and apartment booked out..... Shops in the town centre will be busier..... Taxis will be busier...... It creates jobs in the dome for bar staff and waiters....... Visiting families make use of the wetlands...Aqua dome and other attractions and the groups that visit often take in muckross house or west Kerry and wild Atlantic way........

I'm sure you will see a report about it in the papers the week after the festival BUT generally the gardai report very little incidents during the week.....

Of course it brings an element of inconvenience to some locals but infairness it's one week out of 52 which has enormous benefits for the town.

If Killarney had what we have we'd be moaning that there's nothing in Tralee....

I've grown up with it too, and I do like it, but I also spend most of the time working during it so I don't get to enjoy it as much as I'd like to. Although this year will be the first time in a long long time that I won't be working for it, but I also won't be out & about too much either with a new baby! Probably just during the day.

When last did you attend?

Festival every year - Rose Ball never

The reality is that the Rose festival is a nuisance to people living in town, it's a week of lost sleep , rubbish, banging on doors and windows and general feckery by pissheads

sounds like a normal Saturday night in Boherbee..... That behaviour isn't reserved to festival week...
    The quality of entertainment is dire and I am being kind! Reggie and Bollie...who dafuq are they? :D nobody cares.

About 3000 teenagers will care on the Friday night...... Think their recent single was top 5 in Ireland.... Not my cup of tea but I'm not going to bash them for that... People are allowed to have different tastes in music so some people DO like them and know who they are!
    The only businesses to make money during the festival are bars, hotels and takeaways....the normal businesses in town could shut their doors for s few days,

I don't think ANY business in town could afford to shut there doors the week of the festival.... That's nonsense..... It has a knock effect for all businesses
    The Rose show is the ultimate in kitsch, and it is watched by many outside the county....I don't get the popularity and neither do many more...

just to point out its also watch my many outside of the COUNTRY also.....

Are the stage, lighting and sound systems rented out or do the Rose of Tralee own them?

All hired I'd imagine..... That type of equipment is hugely expensive

I suppose the cost of the festival will come down once/if a permanent home is built? maybe then the festival could buy their own equiptment and keep/store it at the "Dome"?

Just after remembering Clab - I worked as a teenager for the rose ball one year back in the early 90's.

• Advertisement

Festival every year - Rose Ball never

Well I have attended quite a few years and it is a fantastic night... Sharing a table with people from all corners of the world what the organisers do inside is amazing decoration wise..... Maybe next year you should actually attend and see what the hype is about rather than wondering???

Well I have attended quite a few years and it is a fantastic night... Sharing a table with people from all corners of the world what the organisers do inside is amazing decoration wise..... Maybe next year you should actually attend and see what the hype is about rather than wondering???

To be honest, I probably actually won't attend - not the type of evening that would float my boat.

sounds like a normal Saturday night in Boherbee..... That behaviour isn't reserved to festival week...

About 3000 teenagers will care on the Friday night...... Think their recent single was top 5 in Ireland.... Not my cup of tea but I'm not going to bash them for that... People are allowed to have different tastes in music so some people DO like them and know who they are!

I don't think ANY business in town could afford to shut there doors the week of the festival.... That's nonsense..... It has a knock effect for all businesses

Sorry, but so much rubbish in that post I can't even begin to put you right
    But, let's just say that whatever walk of life you're in you have no concept of the day to day reality of living in town

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭manoverboards

On the topic of festivals the one in Banna today was great.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭The_Mac

Sorry but as much as I love the festival Rose of Tralee is anything but a normal Saturday night in Boherbee. It's all fun and games for a bit but the town gets very quickly out of control. The square is a cesspit by 11 o clock. Being in the middle of it is great craic drunk but I can't imagine what it's like for families passing through.

Where are you pulling the 3000 teenagers number from? Sure there'll be a few out to see them but I doubt there'll be that many. Doubt Denny Street could hold it.

For someone claiming to not be a part of festival organisation you strangely seem to know a lot of the intricacies that surround it.

I have no knowledge of the event in question but a couple of things.

This type of thing happens a bit more than you would think, go to Siamsa a bit more and you will see, while hard for all involved it is kind of par for the course.

The Rose is not 'that type' of festival, as far as I know things like drama have never featured as part of the programme.

K-Fest is an amazing festival, to see how the town have gotten behind it is inspiring. I do hope someone from Tralee Chamber Alliance, Festival of Kerry supporters group etc. were sent out to it on a rekkie.

Nathan Carter while not my cup of tae is a good choice for entertainment for the festival, once, but again this year ? At this stage it is downright lazy by the organisers, it was the same with other acts in the past, Richie Kavannagh must have played every year for a decade.

Plus I can't imagine to many people travelling to see him, just check out his gig schedule he is playing a gig in just about every county over the next couple of months.
    Not Tralee related but I heard at KFest there was a drama going on and 6 people showed up to it - that must be soul destroying for the performers, so can you blame the Festival for going with a sure thing in Nathan Carter? he will and does bring in a crowd.

On the topic of festivals the one in Banna today was great.

Is that an annual event? What sort of things were on there?

The_Mac wrote: »
    Sorry but as much as I love the festival Rose of Tralee is anything but a normal Saturday night in Boherbee. It's all fun and games for a bit but the town gets very quickly out of control. The square is a cesspit by 11 o clock. Being in the middle of it is great craic drunk but I can't imagine what it's like for families passing through.

Where are you pulling the 3000 teenagers number from? Sure there'll be a few out to see them but I doubt there'll be that many. Doubt Denny Street could hold it.

For someone claiming to not be a part of festival organisation you strangely seem to know a lot of the intricacies that surround it.

Have you been to oxygen or Slane or any other festival that features music lately..... That drunken behaviour is part and parcel to every festival or outdoor event..... Not just the Rose.....walk up through killorglin at 11pm during puck fair and you'll see some sights also

As a local I've attended many of the festival events over the years I don't know any intricacies just what I've seen and experienced personally. I've attended two of the Friday night concerts with my children in previous years and there was well in excess of 3000 people there!!!

You may say the town gets out of control but as I mentioned previously I've always read that the gardai have had relatively quiet festival weeks with very little arrests.

If for one second the gardai hse or kcc thought the town was out of control then road closures and event licenes wouldn't be granted OR would be granted with conditions......

Sorry, but so much rubbish in that post I can't even begin to put you right
    But, let's just say that whatever walk of life you're in you have no concept of the day to day reality of living in town

What you meant to say was there was so much FACT in that post you couldn't possibly argue.....

Btw I'm living in Tralee town all my life.......36years so I have a fairly good handle on it!!!

Anyway we will leave it at that.... Agree to disagree etc

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

It was just put together to celebrate 1916

• Advertisement

What you meant to say was there was so much FACT in that post you couldn't possibly argue.....

Btw I'm living in Tralee town all my life.......36years so I have a fairly good handle on it!!!

Anyway we will leave it at that.... Agree to disagree etc

You live in cloud cuckoo land, say hi to the unicorns for me

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

:D
    I get the impression they will do Denny st regardless & the mall later in the year. There are no music acts on Denny street for the festival this year, it's moved to the square! Not sure that's going to work, but maybe it will.

They've run into trouble with that one as the Square is a 'public space' and they cannot just come along as close it off to run private gigs on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭JonathonS

You live in cloud cuckoo land, say hi to the unicorns for me

Looks like the influence of Donald Trump is spreading. Don't debate, just insult the other guy.

JonathonS wrote: »
    Looks like the influence of Donald Trump is spreading. Don't debate, just insult the other guy.

I made my points, which were all true, he decided that reality wasn't what he wanted, so a unicorn is his prize

Apparently Utensils isn't closing down, but it's moving up somewhere in Courthouse lane. I had been told previously that he was giving up the retail shop, but obviously not!

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,784 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Apparently Utensils isn't closing down, but it's moving up somewhere in Courthouse lane. I had been told previously that he was giving up the retail shop, but obviously not!

The old Landers shop maybe? That'd be great as it's been vacant for years.

Part of the 1916 centenary celebrations, lots of music and dance, but more importantly not a whiff of Nathan Carter !

kn wrote: »
    They've run into trouble with that one as the Square is a 'public space' and they cannot just come along as close it off to run private gigs on it.

Really that's a pity.... I'd imagine it could all move back to Denny Street in a heartbeat again so I don't see it being a big issue really.....

Any idea what parties are making waves about it??? Is it shops/bars?????

Would Denny st not be classed as a public space also??? How does that work??? I presume permission from kcc must be sought?

I made my points, which were all true, he decided that reality wasn't what he wanted, so a unicorn is his prize

Ha yup sounds like Donald Trump alright!!

• Advertisement

Ha yup sounds like Donald Trump alright!!

Well, when you decide to want to deal.with the realities of the situation, please, let me know

Advertisement