Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    Sounds like Dunnes will have a lovely new section put in. I remember they announced there was going to be a health store going in there a couple of years or so ago, but it never happened in the end.

Health food chain Nourish are advertising for a manager for a new store in Dunnes NCR in June/July also so looks like it's all happening as part of the revamp. The job Dunnes have done on some of their Dublin stores is really top class so expect a really fancy looking supermarket when they've completed their upgrade.

https://www.jobs.ie/ApplyForJob.aspx?Id=1937772

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,779 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

ejmaztec wrote: »
    There's a Carphone Warehouse section in the Currys across the road from the Parkway in Limerick, which was put in place after Dixons got their hands on CW, and I was surprised that the one in Manor West didn't get incorporated into Currys at the same time.
    There was a Carphone Warehouse concession in Harvey Norman in Manor, that was completely separate to the Carphone Warehouse shop, and this moved into the Currys unit after Dixons bought CPW.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

ongarboy wrote: »
    Health food chain Nourish are advertising for a manager for a new store in Dunnes NCR in June/July also so looks like it's all happening as part of the revamp. The job Dunnes have done on some of their Dublin stores is really top class so expect a really fancy looking supermarket when they've completed their upgrade.

https://www.jobs.ie/ApplyForJob.aspx?Id=1937772

I think that was the same company that was meant to open a couple of years ago. Good to see it going ahead now. I'd say the place will look great.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,068 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Quackster wrote: »
    There was a Carphone Warehouse concession in Harvey Norman in Manor, that was completely separate to the Carphone Warehouse shop, and this moved into the Currys unit after Dixons bought CPW.

I never spent long enough in Currys or Harvey Normans to notice anything like that, and only noticed the one in Limerick when I bought an SD card once. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

The Debenhams unit in Manor has been taken over....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

The Debenhams unit in Manor has been taken over....

Any idea who?

Any idea who?

Yep :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭phormium

Not more sports type shop hopefully?

phormium wrote: »
    Not more sports type shop hopefully?

No, it's not...
    it's not a confirmed deal yet, so will keep my trap shut

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭E mac

No, it's not...

Aahhh yer killing us....😀

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭SecretsOfEarth

No, it's not...

You can't do that to us! Give us a clue, make it a guessing game anyway :p

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭E mac

A shop that sells Televisions for left handed people??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,768 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

E mac wrote: »
    A shop that sells Televisions for left handed people??

Close... Its a shop that sells tvs to left handed people with a missing index finger :)

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭g1983d

You can't do that to us! Give us a clue, make it a guessing game anyway :p

They will have a big range of stuff

g1983d wrote: »
    They will have a big range of stuff

I remember seeing that mentioned on here a while ago :P

So another Woodies basically :) I can live with that but can't figure out how all manage selling basicially similar stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 47 FM252

It would make sense if it was that furniture shop changing units but would be great if it's a brand new addition

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭newman10

No, it's not...

Unit that size needs a tenant that can add extra footfall to Manor, it would make sense for Tesco to upgrade and for the Tesco unit to be let, don't think furniture is good enough, a new Pennys ??

• Registered Users Posts: 47 FM252

I meant the new JYSK shop.....it's a Danish IKEA basically. Plenty of footfall for that. But I hope it's something new again

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭g1983d

Theres a different tenant ready for Debenham unit, Jysk are going into where carpet right were

• Advertisement

Stock was removed from the Debenhams store in Manor last night, despite the ex-Debenhams staff trying to block it. A high court order prevented them from stopping it and they were told to move by Gardai.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭poppy37

Stock was removed from the Debenhams store in Manor last night, despite the ex-Debenhams staff trying to block it. A high court order prevented them from stopping it and they were told to move by Gardai.

The footage I saw online was horrible and the poor strikers in Dublin were completely manhandled. I really feel for them, they were totally abandoned by our local TD’s and I hope the politicians in question suffer at the hands of the voters in the next election.

Debenhams is dead as far as bricks and mortar stores are concerned, now that Boohoo has bought the name and the website for I think £55Million.

They've bought several "Names" like Dorothy Perkins, Burton, Oasis, Wallis etc, and they're all only online as well.

The Deer Park in Killarney is also now missing stores, and the jobs that went with them. Of course, Burtons in Shaws must be gone as well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boohoo.com

It'll be a miracle if the former Debenhams employees get anything out of KPMG.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭pickled101

When the company I worked for here in Tralee closed overnight 5/6 years ago we got statutory redundancy and were owed salary that we never received.
    I didn't have the luxury of protesting for a year and demanding more from the liquidator.

Just went out and found a new job within 6 weeks.

pickled101 wrote: »
    When the company I worked for here in Tralee closed overnight 5/6 years ago we got statutory redundancy and were owed salary that we never received.
    I didn't have the luxury of protesting for a year and demanding more from the liquidator.

Just went out and found a new job within 6 weeks.

Nail on the head
    I think Debenhams staff are now at the point where they have lost a lot of support.
    Thousands of people now realise that they themselves will be losing their jobs and will be getting nothing more than statutory redundancy....
    Debenhams have been promised retraining monies, nobody else will.....looks like they might yet snatch defeat from the jaws of victory...

Nail on the head
    I think Debenhams staff are now at the point where they have lost a lot of support.
    Thousands of people now realise that they themselves will be losing their jobs and will be getting nothing more than statutory redundancy....
    Debenhams have been promised retraining monies, nobody else will.....looks like they might yrt snatch defeat from the jaws of victory...

Didn't the protesters refuse the retraining money outright, and just wanted the cash?

With all the businesses that I've dealt with over the decades, anyone who was made redundant only got the Statutory Amount, and I don't think that any of them expected to get any more than that.

I know the Debenhams folks were offered extra, and they refused because they decided that the offer wasn't enough. I think that was when the offer was taken off the table, and KPMG told them that there wouldn't be another one.

As for all people complaining, and saying that the Government should help, the same people don't seem to realise that if there is any help, then the tax payer would be funding it. It could also lead to other people looking for more than the Statutory Redundancy money in future if the Government coughs up extra now.

I know when my company were doing redundancies there was a 'training' grant payment extra to the redundancy payment as such, it was just paid out and no check every made on what course if any was done, is it stricter these days I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,768 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

I got made redundant from a national company in 2009 along with 300 more.
    We were offered 5 weeks. There was no government task force and definitely no training grant. We took it and I went on to get a post grad in IT followed by a job.

Most of the workers were foreign agency staff or Irish and worked for the firm for 30 plus years so little chance of another job in their late 50s /60s.
    Examiner went to the landlord of one site and looked for a rent reduction and 150 jobs saved. Landlord refused. The staff had their closure notice within the hour.

Are these Debenham staff getting social welfare. I hope not as they are obviously not available for work if on a picket line.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭cms88

The thing that's annoyed me about the whole Debenhams thing is how the staff have got people to believe that they haven't been offered that they're entitled to. You often seen comments like/ ''give them what they deserve'' or comments like that.

It's also quite annoying how they keep saying Td's etc have abandoned them. When in reality they can't actually do anything for them.

They've been given a number of offers and turned them all down, why should anything have any pity for them at this stage?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

All the above is all true but then you contrast it with the situation in the public sector and 'taxpayers money' is seemingly no object when it comes to redundancy, early retirement etc etc.

Advertisement