Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭cms88

kn wrote: »
    All the above is all true but then you contrast it with the situation in the public sector and 'taxpayers money' is seemingly no object when it comes to redundancy, early retirement etc etc.

That is just as big an issue to be fair

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭newman10

Quite a lot of anti Debenhams Staff sentiments here, management were equally or more to blame for the fiasco

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Pirates Ale

Were they even there in recent times, any time we passed the little tent was empty.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Were they even there in recent times, any time we passed the little tent was empty.

I hadn't seen them there in a good while.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

The Chamber alliance have launched a new app. I hope its better than their last attempt! it was woeful!

http://traleetoday.ie/tralee-chamber-launches-new-look-app-and-website/?fbclid=IwAR2VjO9zKuwGMJKZXysi8WLHXJgTaADGS2TzqedyW-n-No23ur7FPf5uZc8

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    The Chamber alliance have launched a new app. I hope its better than their last attempt! it was woeful!

http://traleetoday.ie/tralee-chamber-launches-new-look-app-and-website/?fbclid=IwAR2VjO9zKuwGMJKZXysi8WLHXJgTaADGS2TzqedyW-n-No23ur7FPf5uZc8

Tralee Chamber Alliance... about as much use as a eunuch in a Turkish brothel

newman10 wrote: »
    Quite a lot of anti Debenhams Staff sentiments here, management were equally or more to blame for the fiasco

How so? Pretty such the management had nothing to do with Covid.

They've been made plenty of offers and have refused them. That's their problem and no one elses.

Do they spend members money on anything other than that website i wonder? It seems to be ''updated'' every few months

cms88 wrote: »
    Do they spend members money on anything other than that website i wonder? It seems to be ''updated'' every few months

I would love to know what they spend members money on (apart from their salaries!). We haven't joined as members, can't see the point of it!? I know other businesses who have left, as they couldn't see what they were paying them for!?

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭newman10

How so? Pretty such the management had nothing to do with Covid.

They've been made plenty of offers and have refused them. That's their problem and no one elses.

Debenhams closing had absolutely nothing to do with Covid, the company was loaded with debt by a very inept management in the UK and its operations in Ireland suffered accordingly
    Debt increased by over £800m in 3 years by Private Equity !!

Debenhams and Topshop were run on the Gordon Gekko philosophy of "Greed is Good". Asset stripping of Pension Funds etc

I am not a Debenhams employee nor do I have any connection wit one

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/dec/01/debenhams-never-recovered-from-private-equity-ownership

• Advertisement

I would love to know what they spend members money on (apart from their salaries!). We haven't joined as members, can't see the point of it!? I know other businesses who have left, as they couldn't see what they were paying them for!?

I wonder how many members there actually are now?

They have all these ideas that go nowhere and then thed to pretend that it never actually happened. On top of the taking credit for anything and everything that happens.

I also wonder why they get as much coverage as they do. You rarely ever hear much in the media about other chambers such as Listowel, Castleisland etc

• Registered Users Posts: 6,768 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

All the above is all true but then you contrast it with the situation in the public sector and 'taxpayers money' is seemingly no object when it comes to redundancy, early retirement etc etc.

What early retirement in the public sector?

Civil and public servants do 40 years for a full pension. Gardai do 30 years but pay more into their pension to cover the earlier retirement.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭g1983d

I wonder how many members there actually are now?

They have all these ideas that go nowhere and then thed to pretend that it never actually happened. On top of the taking credit for anything and everything that happens.

I also wonder why they get as much coverage as they do. You rarely ever hear much in the media about other chambers such as Listowel, Castleisland etc

Typical example of chamber talk shop

http://traleetoday.ie/chamber-alliance-in-talks-with-major-retailers-about-setting-up-in-tralee/

I can't think of anything useful they have done for the town, highlighting issues is one thing but action to resolve them is whats needed

g1983d wrote: »
    Typical example of chamber talk shop

http://traleetoday.ie/chamber-alliance-in-talks-with-major-retailers-about-setting-up-in-tralee/

I can't think of anything useful they have done for the town, highlighting issues is one thing but action to resolve them is whats needed

"TRALEE Chamber Alliance (TCA) has confirmed that they are currently in advanced talks with four national and international retailers with a view to setting up in Tralee."

I remember reading this (from 2019)! In advanced talks and nothing has happened to date!

Such tripe from them!

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭g1983d

"TRALEE Chamber Alliance (TCA) has confirmed that they are currently in advanced talks with four national and international retailers with a view to setting up in Tralee."

I remember reading this (from 2019)! In advanced talks and nothing has happened to date!

Such tripe from them!

I'm sure Covid will be trotted out as a reason

Such tripe from them!

They were singing that the Dunnes stores unit in The Mall was going to be taken over by Jysk.....I have a slight feeling that isn't going to happen...

They were singing that the Dunnes stores unit in The Mall was going to be taken over by Jysk.....I have a slight feeling that isn't going to happen...

they will probably take credit for it going to Manor!

• Registered Users Posts: 47 FM252

I honestly don't see the problem with the Chamber. They come up with ideas and generally form a plan for Tralee
    They don't have money to actually do them
    They are basically doing something that Kerry County Council should be doing but never bothered. So the Council can either steal the ideas or it puts pressure on them to actually start doing their job.

KCC has zero foresight or ideas. They have just done footpaths in the town 2019/2020 thinking this was great. They are the ones with the money although they spend over 40 per cent of it on wages. But if you ask to build a skate park in a town of 25,000 that has been talked about since I was a kid they have no money

they will probably take credit for it going to Manor!

They already have taken credit for it!

FM252 wrote: »
    I honestly don't see the problem with the Chamber. They come up with ideas and generally form a plan for Tralee
    They don't have money to actually do them
    They are basically doing something that Kerry County Council should be doing but never bothered. So the Council can either steal the ideas or it puts pressure on them to actually start doing their job.

KCC has zero foresight or ideas. They have just done footpaths in the town 2019/2020 thinking this was great. They are the ones with the money although they spend over 40 per cent of it on wages. But if you ask to build a skate park in a town of 25,000 that has been talked about since I was a kid they have no money

My issue with the Chamber is while yes they ''come up'' with the ideas, mot if not all those ideas are just copied from somewhere else and we see them in the media taking credit for them as if they were the ones who came up with them.

A few years ago there was this big thing about the Amazon working from homes jobs. The Chamber made out they singlehandedly were the ones who ''brought'' the jobs to Kerry. But when very few people ever actually took the jobs becuase the wage, hours etc were poor it was as if it never happened.

That's just one example of many.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,068 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

My issue with the Chamber is while yes they ''come up'' with the ideas, mot if not all those ideas are just copied from somewhere else and we see them in the media taking credit for them as if they were the ones who came up with them.

A few years ago there was this big thing about the Amazon working from homes jobs. The Chamber made out they singlehandedly were the ones who ''brought'' the jobs to Kerry. But when very few people ever actually took the jobs becuase the wage, hours etc were poor it was as if it never happened.

That's just one example of many.

That seems to be standard procedure for local groups of one kind or another, with the leader, or leaders, on the glory trail, hoping to get a plaque on a wall somewhere. The infighting and backstabbing is also par for the course :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭rottie 11

May be the wrong place to post this but it’s worth a try. Any one on here good with cars or know any
    Mechanic that wouldn’t be too busy. I’ve a few small jobs to do and a general check up. Anyone I know is busy at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

Outdoor boozing from June 7th. I can see this being a Public Order nightmare. You are going to have tens and hundreds of people in the like of the Square with glasses so there will be lots of broken glass around the place. The Square Bar was jointed outdoors when it opened in the first lockdown. The Guards are going to have a nightmare. And what about people living next to bars? They are going to get no peace and people pissing all over the joint.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Outdoor boozing from June 7th. I can see this being a Public Order nightmare. You are going to have tens and hundreds of people in the like of the Square with glasses so there will be lots of broken glass around the place. The Square Bar was jointed outdoors when it opened in the first lockdown. The Guards are going to have a nightmare. And what about people living next to bars? They are going to get no peace and people pissing all over the joint.
    It's called life, deal with it. People have been locked-up for long enough ffs.

ejmaztec wrote: »
    That seems to be standard procedure for local groups of one kind or another, with the leader, or leaders, on the glory trail, hoping to get a plaque on a wall somewhere. The infighting and backstabbing is also par for the course :pac:

One person comes to mind with this when it comes to the Chamber :P

• Registered Users Posts: 13,489 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

What's the process for complaining about a neighbor's dog? Damn thing's attacked me and the wife the last 2 times we went by the yard. Had to fend it off with sticks ffs. Neighbor's unconcerned, he was present both times, the second time I point blank asked him if he was going to restrain the dog, he looked blank at me and said nothing. Might be he's not too competent, don't know his name.

Can I go straight to the guards, or must I go through the dog warden first? Ask here though we're not in Tralee the dog warden for our Dingle area is.

Ring the Gardai if you feel he's a danger to you.... otherwise ring KCC and they'll divert to the dog warden

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Anyone having any issues with Vodafone broadband today or is the issue on my end?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,033 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Igotadose wrote: »
    What's the process for complaining about a neighbor's dog? Damn thing's attacked me and the wife the last 2 times we went by the yard. Had to fend it off with sticks ffs. Neighbor's unconcerned, he was present both times, the second time I point blank asked him if he was going to restrain the dog, he looked blank at me and said nothing. Might be he's not too competent, don't know his name.

Can I go straight to the guards, or must I go through the dog warden first? Ask here though we're not in Tralee the dog warden for our Dingle area is.

Deffo ring the Gardaí it could be a child it attacks the next time.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭phormium

I'd start with the dog warden, they won't be long about pursuing it.

Advertisement