Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

The Dog Warden will definitely follow it up, but no harm reporting to the Gardai too if you feel the dog is a danger.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

Igotadose wrote: »
    What's the process for complaining about a neighbor's dog? Damn thing's attacked me and the wife the last 2 times we went by the yard. Had to fend it off with sticks ffs. Neighbor's unconcerned, he was present both times, the second time I point blank asked him if he was going to restrain the dog, he looked blank at me and said nothing. Might be he's not too competent, don't know his name.

Can I go straight to the guards, or must I go through the dog warden first? Ask here though we're not in Tralee the dog warden for our Dingle area is.

I remember a case like this only much less severe in that case in Tralee Court about 5 years ago. In that case it was a case of just a dog that was allowed roam free out the back barking all day long when the householders left the place for the day. It was been dealt with as a criminal matter, I cannot recollect what legislation, but the Guards did bring the case the Court. But in that case it was also a case as you allude to with the couple up in Court being I'd say well intellectually disabled. It came to Court a number of times with Judge O'Connor giving the couple every chance but he didn't seem to be getting it through to them so I saw him in Court giving them one last chance in a very firm manner. Didn't hear about it after that so I assume the dog was got rid of off the premises.

So yeah. Its the Guards that deal with these matters. Sorry I don't have the legislation involved in my head.

PS I remember the victims in this case did present the Court with lots of photo evidence etc that Judge O'Connor was impressed by.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

What early retirement in the public sector?

Civil and public servants do 40 years for a full pension. Gardai do 30 years but pay more into their pension to cover the earlier retirement.

I said public sector including semi state and mock voluntary bodies where it always falls on the taxpayer to make up for pension deficits.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,489 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

kn wrote: »

PS I remember the victims in this case did present the Court with lots of photo evidence etc that Judge O'Connor was impressed by.

FWIW I have video of the most recent attack including me asking the guy whether he'd restrain the dog.

I am 100% confident any time I walk near that house I can get fresh video :mad::mad::mad:

I'll ring the guards; I don't have the house location precisely yet but I've found it on Google maps.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭manoverboards

I don't think people give the chamber enough credit, they just got a load of free publicity on the back of a new website, their website hasn't changed since 2018 !

cms88 wrote: »
    Do they spend members money on anything other than that website i wonder? It seems to be ''updated'' every few months

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

There is a big thread going on over in reddit at the moment, some girl is looking to re-establish contact with her father, a Matt Mujegu, who spent a long time in Tralee.

Details and a picture on the thread in question if anyone knows him

https://www.reddit.com/r/ireland/comments/n19czm/can_you_help_me_find_my_dad/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

oeb wrote: »
    There is a big thread going on over in reddit at the moment, some girl is looking to re-establish contact with her father, a Matt Mujegu, who spent a long time in Tralee.

Details and a picture on the thread in question if anyone knows him

https://www.reddit.com/r/ireland/comments/n19czm/can_you_help_me_find_my_dad/

I actually know Matty, was very involved in trad music scene here for years

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

I noticed that old derelict house across from Oakland’s shop in Oakpark has been sold and all the trees etc have been removed from around it. I didn’t know what the house looked like before now. I wonder how long it has been derelict? Anyone know anything about the history of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭TigerTim

Saw that as well. Been derelict for as long as I remember. Looked to have been quite a big house, Take a walk/drive down the lane by the side of it, Couldn't believe the size of the garden. Huge. Would fit a few more houses in there.

T.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭RevBlueJeans

This was the McMorans house. it was only built in the early 1970’s in the grounds of the much larger Mount Eagle Lodge when the Minister downsized and sold the larger house. Generations of art students attended art classes here over the years. There was always a load of mature trees around the old Mance. The “lane way” is the entrance to Mount Eagle Logde.
    http://traleetoday.ie/new-book-on-old-presbyterian-church-in-tralee/
    Russell McMorran who passed away in Dec 2019 was a great amateur historian and a very interesting man. I might be mistaken but remember him selling periwinkles on bridge st in the 80,s.

• Advertisement

This was the McMorans house. it was only built in the early 1970’s in the grounds of the much larger Mount Eagle Lodge when the Minister downsized and sold the larger house. Generations of art students attended art classes here over the years. There was always a load of mature trees around the old Mance. The “lane way” is the entrance to Mount Eagle Logde.
    http://traleetoday.ie/new-book-on-old-presbyterian-church-in-tralee/
    Russell McMorran who passed away in Dec 2019 was a great amateur historian and a very interesting man. I might be mistaken but remember him selling periwinkles on bridge st in the 80,s.

no, not that house, I'm talking about the house down the road, opposite Oaklands shop (next to the medical centre).

But the house that Mr. McMorran lived in has just been totally refurbished, and looks amazing! I used to go to Art classes in that house with Mr. McMorran. Lovely man and was brilliant at art history as we didn't have that subject in our secondary school so had to do it privately so I could do it for my leaving cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭RevBlueJeans

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    no, not that house, I'm talking about the house down the road, opposite Oaklands shop (next to the medical centre)

Oh! sorry I only catch up a few weeks at a time here and confused this with an earlier post.

I seem to remember either Dowds or Cusacks living in that old house whic seems to predate the other houses on the road.

Oh! sorry I only catch up a few weeks at a time here and confused this with an earlier post.

I seem to remember either Dowds or Cusacks living in that old house whic seems to predate the other houses on the road.

By the looks of it its been derelict for a long long time! It will be interesting to see what is done with it by the new owners!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭phormium

Someone ask Mike O'Donnell :), fairly close to where he is, did he mention it at all in his lockdown videos? I really enjoyed them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭cms88

I don't think people give the chamber enough credit, they just got a load of free publicity on the back of a new website, their website hasn't changed since 2018 !

They get more than enough considering they actually have very little to do with the things they claim to have done.

cms88 wrote: »
    They get more than enough considering they actually have very little to do with the things they claim to have done.

Apparently they have been shortlisted for some award now! God knows why!

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭newman10

• Registered Users Posts: 17,020 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Havnt been in Tralee since Xmas but driving on the Fat Mile yesterday I saw a massive new industrial/warehouse building at the top of Monavalley.

Any idea who the occupant will be?

• Registered Users Posts: 47 FM252

Its a civic recycling centre......Dillons waste

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

FM252 wrote: »
    Its a civic recycling centre......Dillons waste

Does this mean we don"t have to travel to Killarney to dispose of broken small electricals anymore?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 FM252

you can drop electrical things off behind harvey norman in manor for free.Anything with a plug and does not have to be from them

As far as I know neither Higgins or Dillons do it for free but its never expensive anyway when its small

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

FM252 wrote: »
    you can drop electrical things off behind harvey norman in manor for free.Anything with a plug and does not have to be from them

As far as I know neither Higgins or Dillons do it for free but its never expensive anyway when its small

Ah Jayzus, I never knew that! Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭TigerTim

Left an old television behind Harvey Norman's a few weeks ago. Very handy.

T.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

Something badly needs to be done with the carpark over at McDonald's. The Starbucks drive-through is causing carnage on Saturdays. Anybody parked in one of the spots near the butcher's gets blocked from getting out of the carpark by the Starbucks queue. It doesn't help that it seems to be a base of operations for 40 watt bulb young lads driving noisy sh*tbox cars doing laps of the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

xxyyzz wrote: »
    Something badly needs to be done with the carpark over at McDonald's. The Starbucks drive-through is causing carnage on Saturdays. Anybody parked in one of the spots near the butcher's gets blocked from getting out of the carpark by the Starbucks queue. It doesn't help that it seems to be a base of operations for 40 watt bulb young lads driving noisy sh*tbox cars doing laps of the town.

Those drive-thrus should be closed down.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,768 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Can't understand why anyone would sit in their car for half an hour to get a Starbucks coffee. It's nasty stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Pirates Ale

I wouldnt call it nasty. but very ordinary, and not worth queueing for.

That area has always been dodgy, with cars coming from all directions and poor parking outside Circle K. Starbucks and the constant stream of cars through McD's have only made things worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,768 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

I wouldnt call it nasty. but very ordinary, and not worth queueing for.

That area has always been dodgy, with cars coming from all directions and poor parking outside Circle K. Starbucks and the constant stream of cars through McD's have only made things worse.
    The only decent cup of Starbucks coffee I ever had was at a service area in India of all places. I put that down to having been drinking indian coffee for a month and the taste of European cappuccino with a scone was delightful ... I was desperate :)

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,779 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Can't understand why anyone would sit in their car for half an hour to get a Starbucks coffee. It's nasty stuff.
    It's not nasty but it's seriously overpriced for the ordinary fare that it is.

But as you say, the mind boggles as to why anyone would willingly subject themselves to the hassle of being robbed blind for the stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

Penneys going into the Debenhams unit. It's a disaster for the town centre if they close the shop on the mall.

Advertisement