Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,779 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

xxyyzz wrote: »
    Penneys going into the Debenhams unit. It's a disaster for the town centre if they close the shop on the mall.
    It's their own premises that they invested significantly in rebuilding not so long ago. I can't see them closing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭E mac

Is Tralee large enough for two Penney’s? Is the Manor unit large enough for one Penney’s? Be a real coup for Manor west though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Penneys going into the Debenhams unit. It's a disaster for the town centre if they close the shop on the mall.

What's your source for Penneys occupying Debenhams or is it just speculation?

Interestingly, I read today that Sports Direct are opening in Galway's old Debenhams. They previously didn't have an outlet in Galway. Don't think Tralee could support two Penneys and I agree with Quakster. They wouldn't close their town centre one after spending millions rebuilding it a little over 10 years ago. The Range sounds like a likely bet as they are expanding in Ireland and need a large floorplate.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

I don't know how Starbucks got planning to put a drive-thru in there as it makes no sense and between them and McDonalds the place is a total mess now. Plus you can't even park outside Fine Wines anymore as you have to drive around the same way as the drive-thru, they must be going mad over it! I wouldn't call Starbucks coffee nasty, each to their own! They serve other drinks too, the frappes etc are very popular.

The whole layout up there needs to be sorted out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,768 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    I don't know how Starbucks got planning to put a drive-thru in there as it makes no sense and between them and McDonalds the place is a total mess now. Plus you can't even park outside Fine Wines anymore as you have to drive around the same way as the drive-thru, they must be going mad over it! I wouldn't call Starbucks coffee nasty, each to their own! They serve other drinks too, the frappes etc are very popular.

Personal opinion on coffee. Ill drink it as a last resort. Usually a choice between it and Indian coffee :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,068 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I expect they'll blame any problems on the Covid situation, and "promise" that there won't be any problems when the restrictions end.

I prefer Costa, and even the coffee in Dunnes is better, and cheaper, than Starbucks.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Pirates Ale

Quackster wrote: »
    It's their own premises that they invested significantly in rebuilding not so long ago. I can't see them closing it.
    Still not good news for the Town centre though if it is going to be replicated in Manor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

Still not good news for the Town centre though if it is going to be replicated in Manor.

Thats not happening, it's not Penny's going there

Thats not happening, it's not Penny's going there

These runours are funny, especially the way they are put across as definite facts!

These runours are funny, especially the way they are put across as definite facts!

A company called The Range entered negotiations and are looking to move in asap.
    Now...spanners can always be thrown into works, but Penney's aren't involved

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

A company called The Range entered negotiations and are looking to move in asap.
    Now...spanners can always be thrown into works, but Penney's aren't involved

Ok I'll fess up, I knew it wasn't Penneys. I just had a small bet with myself that you couldn't help yourself and you would tell us who it really was.

Ok I'll fess up, I knew it wasn't Penneys. I just had a small bet with myself that you couldn't help yourself and you would tell us who it really was.

It was mentioned after my original post .
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

The Debenhams unit in Manor has been taken over....

This was your original post and your next post said it wasn't a done deal so you would keep your trap shut. I must admit I haven't read many of the subsequent posts.

This was your original post and your next post said it wasn't a done deal so you would keep your trap shut. I must admit I haven't read many of the subsequent posts.

It was mentioned afterwards... but not by me ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭phormium

The clue was in a post afterwards by someone else! :)

There would be no logic to Penneys moving anyway in any circumstance as they draw massive business to their existing shop, there is no one who wants to shop in Penneys that is put off by the fact they have to come into town to do so!

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭g1983d

phormium wrote: »
    The clue was in a post afterwards by someone else! :)

There would be no logic to Penneys moving anyway in any circumstance as they draw massive business to their existing shop, there is no one who wants to shop in Penneys that is put off by the fact they have to come into town to do so!
    g1983d wrote: »
    They will have a big range of stuff

Talks of the new units out the back of Harvey Normans have been quite lately
    Some kind if garden centre diy place woodies were objecting was in the plans.
    B&Q would be nice.
    Town centre in serious bother though, empty buildings that are falling apart

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭hanamandiol

The Range going into former Debenhams unit

Talks of the new units out the back of Harvey Normans have been quite lately
    Some kind if garden centre diy place woodies were objecting was in the plans.
    B&Q would be nice.
    Town centre in serious bother though, empty buildings that are falling apart

We'd never get a B&Q I'd say, not big enough population, I usually pop into the one in Limerick when passing through, good selection you don't get easily everywhere but far from cheap, you pay for the convenience which is fair enough I suppose.

As for the rest Woodies/The Range/Homestore are all variations of the same thing with a huge overlap in products in all of them. I know everyone is into buying too much stuff but how can we need more of it so couldn't imagine another diy type place being a runner in Manor.

I'm not sure what I'd like to see over there if M&S is out of the question.

phormium wrote: »
    We'd never get a B&Q I'd say, not big enough population, I usually pop into the one in Limerick when passing through, good selection you don't get easily everywhere but far from cheap, you pay for the convenience which is fair enough I suppose.

As for the rest Woodies/The Range/Homestore are all variations of the same thing with a huge overlap in products in all of them. I know everyone is into buying too much stuff but how can we need more of it so couldn't imagine another diy type place being a runner in Manor.

I'm not sure what I'd like to see over there if M&S is out of the question.

Same as that, always pop into the one in Limerick when passing.

Cant see the need for a variation of woodies in Manor but woodies were peeved about it anyway.
    A lot of these chains are in a bit of bother, with covid and brexit being UK owned in the main.

Best menswear, schuh and river island would all do well along with bugger unit for next, harvey Norman add furniture so bigger unit also but all of these take more and more from locally owned business and the town centre so I'm conflicted about advocating for them:-)

Entrance off the by pass in the future also which will be welcomed from a traffic perspective but even less reason fro people to venture into town if there's a quick easy route out of manor

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭newman10

The Range going into former Debenhams unit

Direct competition with Woodies, HomeStore & More and Fitzgibbons
    Doesn't make sense from a product mix point of view

• Advertisement

newman10 wrote: »
    And some overlap with Harry Corry too I'd imagine

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

newman10 wrote: »

Not to mention Jysk.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,768 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

I'm sure whoever is going in will have done their research.

I'm sure whoever is going in will have done their research.

That's what I always think when I see new places opening up but nevertheless many close again in short space of time, I often wonder what research they did do!

Along the theme of new stores, what do we all think is needed in Tralee.
    Forget about the big chains, what do you see as a business a local could setup and work?
    Be it a shop, a trade or a service, whats not catered for at the moment or is catered for but done badly,

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Good question! As a female, I would like to see more clothing chains, maybe New Look or more decent shoe shops. I like the local boutiques, but find them pricey and don't shop much in them. Apart from Penneys and Vero Moda, I find myself shopping online a lot as I just find the variety here very boring and limited. I loved Topshop in Manor, and Oasis, but they are gone now too.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭teroknor83

Along the theme of new stores, what do we all think is needed in Tralee.
    Forget about the big chains, what do you see as a business a local could setup and work?
    Be it a shop, a trade or a service, whats not catered for at the moment or is catered for but done badly,

Centre of Tralee is really missing a top quality bakery!

Good question! As a female, I would like to see more clothing chains, maybe New Look or more decent shoe shops. I like the local boutiques, but find them pricey and don't shop much in them. Apart from Penneys and Vero Moda, I find myself shopping online a lot as I just find the variety here very boring and limited. I loved Topshop in Manor, and Oasis, but they are gone now too.

Are the rents in Tralee Town centre a big factor in keeping these stores from opening, I know thye pay rents in Dublin but they have huge number of customers to balance that

teroknor83 wrote: »
    Centre of Tralee is really missing a top quality bakery!

Bakery like O'Mahonys but in town centre or if the Mall expanded their bakery or something different all together?

• Advertisement

For me the obvious chains like Tommy Hilfiger, etc would be nice
    But local business wise I think there's huge opportunity for handyman service to open a store to promote their service but also sell related products
    Another service that could be done in store would be for those who are not comfortable with computers helping them buy online, get car tax, change electricity providers, etc

Ice cream shop maybe

Advertisement