Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭g1983d

You could go to tralee gas supplies, but the owner will probably give out to you for buying off him. :confused:

Ah hes not that bad:-) bought all our baby stuff and some bikes over the years there and found him grand.

Its a long established business in the town and they know they have the best prices in general so I guess that can come across but I'm ok with it if I get the best price with the bonus of shopping local

Know of people up the country who have bought off of them online too

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    I imagine it will be difficult for many pubs in town to have any outdoor seating and will in turn have to stay closed until at least July (?). I doubt the council will allow a lot of seating along the pathways, nor would you be able to fit many tables anyway so not many customers could be catered for.

Even those who do have space for some out door dining/drinking, won't have a lot of it. The only place I can think of with a good amount of space is Benners courtyard (which they are doing loads of work on), Gally's may have space to play around with in their carpark. An Cearnog has a little bit of space. Yummy Cafe is doing outdoor seating, but you won't be able to fit too many tables, so it will be hard to get a seat during busy times. The likes of the Tankard has a great huge garden out the back that they can take full advantage of. And the Oyster to a smaller extent. It will be interesting to see how the pubs and restaurants who can open cater for it.

Ruairis or whatever its called now :-) have space too and even outside the brogue but is it enough space to justify opening, I don't know

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Pirates Ale

g1983d wrote: »
    Ah hes not that bad:-) bought all our baby stuff and some bikes over the years there and found him grand.

Its a long established business in the town and they know they have the best prices in general so I guess that can come across but I'm ok with it if I get the best price with the bonus of shopping local

Know of people up the country who have bought off of them online too

I always get bike bits there too, I find the experience 'interesting' though!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Ruairis or whatever its called now :-) have space too and even outside the brogue but is it enough space to justify opening, I don't know

Yeah, not sure how many tables they will be able to fit, but it won't be many.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭RevBlueJeans

cms88 wrote: »
    Whatever happened to PC Solutions in Pembroke St? He was a loss for that ide of town

Yes I miss Jack from PC Solutions he was excellent.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

Hahaha, I worked in that hardware shop in the Tralee shopping centre :D

Jesus....was reminiscing and decided to check back...
    I started working there on May 6th 1991
    30 years ago!
    I'm fckin old :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Jesus....was reminiscing and decided to check back...
    I started working there on May 6th 1991
    30 years ago!
    I'm fckin old :D

I cannot for the life of me remember that shop!?

I cannot for the life of me remember that shop!?

It was across from Rex's bakery....it's where the computer shop is now

It was across from Rex's bakery....it's where the computer shop is now

Wow, can't remember it at all! I was in that shopping centre a lot in those days as my uncle had a business in there, but that hardware shop does not ring a bell!

Wow, can't remember it at all! I was in that shopping centre a lot in those days as my uncle had a business in there, but that hardware shop does not ring a bell!

It was owned by John Lavery, Ireland's foremost lepidopterist :D but he collected all the weird and wonderful ..lizards, snakes, tarantulas etc...his old house in Marian Park was quite the adventure :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭phormium

It was teeny tiny, think Small Benners size if not smaller! Maybe not what you are picturing in a 'hardware' shop compared to these days.

I loved it, he was so helpful, he always had what I was looking for and knew what I needed even if I didn't know myself! I loved that countertop of stuff.

Inbetween - I started work in town centre in 1981, got there a decade before you, does make me feel old sometimes when I see old photos of the town and think I should really rmember that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Pirates Ale

Cant remember that hardware shop either!

I do remember the general stores next to the bakery in there, loved wondering around it, used to buy bomb bags, cap gun caps and bomb bags in there

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭barryribs

I do remember the general stores next to the bakery in there, loved wondering around it, used to buy bomb bags, cap gun caps and bomb bags in there

Touchstone!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Cant remember that hardware shop either!

Funny, I'm usually well versed on 1980s/1990s Tralee but can't remember that hardware shop either. I guess I wasn't at that age where I was doing DIY back then. I do remember Touchstone and when Hugh Cullotys had it before that.

I think that shopping centre pretty much died when Dallas, Gers Casuals, Saxone Shoes and Smittys cafe in the middle all pulled out around the same time and were replaced with inferior tat shops or just left vacant altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

I remember the shop. I had no ide it was a hardware store!I'd never go in there cos of the window display.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭E mac

Mid 90s? It was a busy shop lotta footfall. Right hand side was full of cheap jewellery goths would have loved if they existed back then...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭phormium

Loved Dallas and their clothes.

E mac wrote: »
    Mid 90s? It was a busy shop lotta footfall. Right hand side was full of cheap jewellery goths would have loved if they existed back then...

Left hand side as you come in from the rock street side near enough where the bakery is now

All sorts of stuff in there :-)

I also remember some one of the shops near dallas had one of the upstairs units too and a stairs from the ground to the 1st floor, no idea what they used sell though

There used to be a drop in crèche upstairs too!

• Advertisement

Has total cleaning supplies closed their shop in the Horan centre? Seems like they are just up in Clash now going by their social media.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭SecretsOfEarth

Has total cleaning supplies closed their shop in the Horan centre? Seems like they are just up in Clash now going by their social media.

No, both stores are still open - the shop in Clash has just been renovated and is reopening tomorrow as far as I know, but both are still fully open.

There used to be a drop in crèche upstairs too!

And the Downtown Deli

I did.

Sardonicat wrote: »
    I did.

Did you shop there...😁

phormium wrote: »
    Loved Dallas and their clothes.

Anyone know what ever became of Jer ? He had the men’s section ...

Did you shop there...ðŸ˜

I loomed my way ominously into Touchstone regularly. Goths are much more elaborate and ornate these days. Back then, unless you were going out, all you needed was black attire and a frown for casual wear.

Sardonicat wrote: »
    I loomed my way ominously into Touchstone regularly. Goths are much more elaborate and ornate these days. Back then, unless you were going out, all you needed was black attire and a frown for casual wear.

To be fair to you wasn’t too many places to shop goth in Tralee. Suppose upstairs in Roxy Records when they had heavy metal attire was as close as it got ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭cms88

The demise of the shopping center has gone hand in hand with the demise of the town center.

Until about 15 year ago or so almost every unit in there was full. Had Abra closed that time that would have been the end of it imo

• Advertisement

Sad to read on the Credit unions social media that one of their staff members, Norma Twomey, passed away. I hadn't seen her in a long time, but she was a lovely woman. I remember when she worked in the Irish Nationwide branch. Very sad news. RIP

Advertisement