Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭RevBlueJeans

When it opened first TSC had a Bennetons, is Benneton even a thing anymore?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

E mac wrote: »
    To be fair to you wasn’t too many places to shop goth in Tralee. Suppose upstairs in Roxy Records when they had heavy metal attire was as close as it got ...

Like I said, back then is eas more about individual creativity - second hand stuff that you'd adjust yourself. The fact that it's so mainstream with mass manufactured goth clothes is kinda counter to the whole point. You only got elaborate when going out on the town back then. The rest of the time ot was just lots of black fabric. I lost count if the time I heard "Where's the funeral?"

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

When it opened first TSC had a Bennetons, is Benneton even a thing anymore?

Yes they are still around, but I'd say only in big cities now. There was one in the Square up to about 2 years ago (or less)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭TigerTim

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    Sad to read on the Credit unions social media that one of their staff members, Norma Twomey, passed away. I hadn't seen her in a long time, but she was a lovely woman. I remember when she worked in the Irish Nationwide branch. Very sad news. RIP

Yes. Lovely woman. Always very helpful & friendly when she was in Irish Nationwide,

T.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭g1983d

E mac wrote: »
    Anyone know what ever became of Jer ? He had the men’s section ...

I think his son is the guy that owns Parrafin mens shops in town

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭g1983d

And the Downtown Deli

Was that the place next to where the bookshop now is near multi storey cat park entrance?
    They used do a savage chicken curry

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭cms88

g1983d wrote: »

Ya that's his son

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Forge83

Didn’t Jer also open that sowing shop across from Kerry radio?
    Bought plenty of Levi and Wrangler jeans in Dallas when I was younger. The son has Parrafin and Suits Select I think. Once ever I bought a few bits in both, never again, poor to average quality at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭phormium

Oh the Downtown Delly! Lovely food in there, often got my lunch there, the chicken and ham pie was delish and the rolls with sesame seeds on them! I have tried to replicate them many times and never managed to get the same flavour. An egg mayonnaise and a roll made a fine lunch.

My mother used to buy full cheesecakes there back when it was the latest thing :) that was really delicious too, she used to bring in her own glass dish for it, I still have that white fluted glass dish in the press, good times!

Very sorry to see the news about Norma, remember her well from Irish Nationwide

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Forge83 wrote: »
    Didn’t Jer also open that sowing shop across from Kerry radio?
    Bought plenty of Levi and Wrangler jeans in Dallas when I was younger. The son has Parrafin and Suits Select I think. Once ever I bought a few bits in both, never again, poor to average quality at best.

That wasn't Jer, that was the other man who used to run Dallas (totally forget his name). I may be very wrong, but I think he passed away in the last few years?

• Advertisement

That was Pauric/Padraig? Turner, used to work with Ger

Benneton had about 4 openings in Tralee, kept opening and closing over several years, always wondered why they kept trying!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

That wasn't Jer, that was the other man who used to run Dallas (totally forget his name). I may be very wrong, but I think he passed away in the last few years?

If it's the person I remember, he hasn't passed away... suffers from crippling arthritis I believe

If it's the person I remember, he hasn't passed away... suffers from crippling arthritis I believe

You are probably right. I know he close due to illness, but I wasn't sure if he had passed away since. Hopefully not!

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭E mac

phormium wrote: »
    That was Pauric/Padraig? Turner, used to work with Ger

Benneton had about 4 openings in Tralee, kept opening and closing over several years, always wondered why they kept trying!

Always wondered why myself. Earliest incarnation I can think of is where the 3 outlet is in the small sq. they were the first tenants in that corner building of what became Abbey Court.....I think ..

They were over roughly where Subway was in the Square too for a while, think they were down in what is now Shoe Zone as well. Very faulty market research obviously!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭cms88

phormium wrote: »
    They were over roughly where Subway was in the Square too for a while, think they were down in what is now Shoe Zone as well. Very faulty market research obviously!

I think they were whee Vodafone are now, or at least they were next to it.

I think Radleys were in some way involved in it. Also i think Margret from Connect Kerry might also have had something to do with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭kev_Makaveli

Have a booking slot for penny's. I'll open the bidding at a minimum of 300 Eur

Have a booking slot for penny's. I'll open the bidding at a minimum of 300 Eur

Apparently people have been selling their slots on donedeal!

I think I can wait another week or 2!

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭JonathonS

Tralee shopping centre could be a great space for indoor food market, English Market style

I remember McCann's in Castle St, an old style up-market food store of the type that was put out of business by the new supermarkets in the 60's and 70's. Similar to Findlater's in Dublin. This type of shop is has made a comeback elsewhere, there is definitely an opportunity for one in Tralee.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

Does anyone know who the new mural is of in the island of geese? It's across the road from the Hugh O'Flaherty mural. It's brilliantly done, almost like a photo but there doesn't seem to be any name on it.

• Advertisement

xxyyzz wrote: »
    Does anyone know who the new mural is of in the island of geese? It's across the road from the Hugh O'Flaherty mural. It's brilliantly done, almost like a photo but there doesn't seem to be any name on it.

https://www.independent.ie/regionals/kerryman/localnotes/much-loved-luke-remembered-in-new-mural-on-matt-talbot-rd-40282344.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

TigerTim wrote: »
    Yes. Lovely woman. Always very helpful & friendly when she was in Irish Nationwide,

T.

Was she the one married to a Guard?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭adam88

kn wrote: »
    Was she the one married to a Guard?

No different woman.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 jant2

Has anyone had a dashcam installed in Halfords Tralee? Any issues with installment?

Best of luck to all the hairdressers, barbers & beauticians reopening tomorrow (Monday)!
    I for one cannot wait for my appointment at the weekend!

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭pickled101

jant2 wrote: »
    Has anyone had a dashcam installed in Halfords Tralee? Any issues with installment?

I had one installed in Halfords Tralee a couple of years ago and was surprised by how professional the install was.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,768 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Best of luck to all the hairdressers, barbers & beauticians reopening tomorrow (Monday)!
    I for one cannot wait for my appointment at the weekend!

Wife has an appointment with a friend of ours in killarney. She's secretly looking forward to it

The Tralee - Abbeydorney road is closed tonight due to a serious crash. I hope everyone is ok :(

https://www.radiokerry.ie/news/tralee-to-abbeydorney-road-closed-following-serious-crash-236143

• Advertisement

Unfortunately an 11 year old little girl died in an accident with her bike an a van on the Abbeydorney road. I think the road is still closed off. Very sad news. Condolences to her parents and family. RIP

Advertisement