Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

For the majority of people, Tralee is a small place and walkable.

What if you live in Manor but work in Monavalley/Dromtacker? It's not really walkable unless you plan to spend 2 hours a day walking. People drive everywhere here. If for some reason, you are unable to drive you have to shell out for taxis. The elderly, disabled, etc are badly let down by a lack of integrated public transport. TBS fill a gap and provide a good service, but two loops of the town aren't really sufficient to get people to and from where they need to be efficiently given the spread of the town now..

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Quaderno

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    Wow that's a crazy asking price!! Where did they come up with that price? That's actually ridiculous.

The really scary thing about that price is that I'm not even sure if a project like that would bring enough profit now to make it worth the risk with the recent price inflation in building materials. If I'm not mistaken the site cost them €275000. With stamp duty, solicitor, cost of finance, planning costs and the clearout of the old site you can assume close to €300000 already gone before the first builder even turned up on site. And then they basically had to build a brand new house. I can't image the builder putting much less than €600000 into that house and he needs to feed a family as well I guess. Still far to expensive in my opinion, but I wouldn't be surprised if it went for over 600. Still, it's a big risk for the developer in times like these.

P.S.: I'm not affiliated with the builder. The €275k comes from here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Sardonicat wrote: »
    What if you live in Manor but work in Monavalley/Dromtacker? It's not really walkable unless you plan to spend 2 hours a day walking. People drive everywhere here. If for some reason, you are unable to drive you have to shell out for taxis. The elderly, disabled, etc are badly let down by a lack of integrated public transport. TBS fill a gap and provide a good service, but two loops of the town aren't really sufficient to get people to and from where they need to be efficiently given the spread of the town now..

I clearly said, the majority. That obviously leaves a need for others.
    Having come from a city of over 1 million. Tralee is a small place.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Yes, it is comparatively small and I would wager most able bodied people would be able to walk from their home into the town centre in 20 mins max, regardless of which side of the town they live on. The issue is going further than that for a 9am work start. Those without transport are either precluded or stuck getting taxis. It's simply not good enough given that towns of comparable size and spread have a BE service with interlinking routes. We should be moving towards leaving the car at home, lack of a proper public service transport system prevents many from doing that.

Yes, it is comparatively small and I would wager most able bodied people would be able to walk from their home into the town centre in 20 mins max, regardless of which side of the town they live on. The issue is going further than that for a 9am work start. Those without transport are either precluded or stuck getting taxis. It's simply not good enough given that towns of comparable size and spread have a BE service with interlinking routes. We should be moving towards leaving the car at home, lack of a proper public service transport system prevents many from doing that.

I work in killarney normally and talking to colleagues, they could be waiting 2 hours for a bus thats late. Now that's inexcusable

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Shaka Hislop

"build it and they will come"

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

I live at the very top of Oakpark but we drive to work every day in town centre, however when I had my baby I walked into town a lot and it took me about 25 minutes. When he started to get a bit older and the pram was not an option anymore, it was back to using the car. I liked the walk into town (when not raining!) and I've done it a few times on my own since. I actually never bothered to use the town bus as I knew the pram would be an issue on it and I couldn't be bothered with the hassle.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

"build it and they will come"

If I had that sort of money, I wouldn't be paying that for a house on a busy main road. Much nicer options outside the town for a bigger house, bigger land etc. Whoever pays that needs their heads read! :D

So what you're saying is you don't come from Tralee, you don't live in Tralee, you don't work in Tralee, you don't know all that much about Tralee, but you're setting everyone else straight about the place :D

So what you're saying is you don't come from Tralee, you don't live in Tralee, you don't work in Tralee, you don't know all that much about Tralee, but you're setting everyone else straight about the place :D
    Don't know where you got all that from but you really should get off your high chair before you fall off.

I've had connections with tralee for over 30 years so have seen lots of change over that time and live just outside it.

• Advertisement

Where did you get the idea they are not from Tralee? Plenty of people who didn't grow up here live here! Don't be so presumptuous!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭TigerTim

If I had that sort of money, I wouldn't be paying that for a house on a busy main road. Much nicer options outside the town for a bigger house, bigger land etc. Whoever pays that needs their heads read! :D

Absolutely. I thought about mid €300k would be a decent asking price. Seems ridiculous.

T.

TigerTim wrote: »
    Absolutely. I thought about mid €300k would be a decent asking price. Seems ridiculous.

T.

Exactly what I was thinking. I think they will find it very hard to sell it at €650k! its a crazy asking price. The house seems to have been finished really well, but I just don't get how they came up with that asking price for the location! We paid €270k for a semi-detached in 2005 in Oakpark and I still think we were mad to pay that!

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Bailey43

I was thinking that. I haven't seen it around.

It's back in service right on time today

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Pirates Ale

If the old house cost €275k though, he is hardly going to sell the new one for €300k!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭cms88

What's the story with the multi storey car park by Abbeycourt does anyone know? It's been closed for weeks now and it had been open during level 5

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

Wow that's a crazy asking price!! Where did they come up with that price? That's actually ridiculous. Lovely house, but way too overpriced! its not the nicest location right on the busiest main road in town! I'm shocked! There are bigger houses with bigger gardens for sale in Ballyard which are less than that and Ballyard is always expensive to buy!

Its a rather big site in that location compared to a semid in the Oakpark area. I imagine that is adding to the price a lot.

kn wrote: »
    Its a rather big site in that location compared to a semid in the Oakpark area. I imagine that is adding to the price a lot.

Its not a bad size, it looks bigger since they cut down all those trees. Although its a shame they cut all of them down as it looks too bare now.

Can anyone recommend a company who can install a porch at a front door of house? Considering getting a small porch, but not even sure where to go or who is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Forge83

Can anyone recommend a company who can install a porch at a front door of house? Considering getting a small porch, but not even sure where to go or who is good.

Hey Ciarrai, any reputable builder is crazy busy at the moment. With the current massive increase in material prices I would strongly recommend you wait until next year if possible.
    Some good small builders would be Dermot Lawlor Contruction, Tommy Diggins Construction and CTS construction.

• Advertisement

Forge83 wrote: »
    Hey Ciarrai, any reputable builder is crazy busy at the moment. With the current massive increase in material prices I would strongly recommend you wait until next year if possible.
    Some good small builders would be Dermot Lawlor Contruction, Tommy Diggins Construction and CTS construction.

Thanks. Yeah won't be doing it for a while anyway. Have a hundred other jobs to get done around the house which I can't see happening until after the summer with trades people being so busy! We can't even get an electrician to get back to us regarding numerous jobs we need done between home and business!

Where did you get the idea they are not from Tralee? Plenty of people who didn't grow up here live here! Don't be so presumptuous!
    I didn't presume anything I just read the posts in the Tralee thread and the poster has mentioned several times that they don't come from Tralee, don't live in Tralee and just in the last couple of pages that they don't work in Tralee?????

I didn't presume anything I just read the posts in the Tralee thread and the poster has mentioned several times that they don't come from Tralee, don't live in Tralee and just in the last couple of pages that they don't work in Tralee?????

I think you need a hug :D though you only have 2 out of 3 right.

It looks like you're one of these people who believes that if a person isn't from tralee/kerry for at least 10 generations they have no right to say anything about the place. Be careful of the dragons beyond the border:D

371 posts in 10 years days, 22 on this sub forum, 6 in the last year, and your judging me :) .

And? Anyone can post on here, no rules as to where you have to live. Never see you posting on here, so why is it bothering you?

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Johnthemanager

Prices of materials are only going to go up, next year is going to be worse. Most of the tradesmen I.know that are pricing jobs are only giving the quotes for 3 weeks. Most materials have gone up 40%.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Forge83

Prices of materials are only going to go up, next year is going to be worse. Most of the tradesmen I.know that are pricing jobs are only giving the quotes for 3 weeks. Most materials have gone up 40%.

Would disagree about next year. Unless there is another worldwide disaster, materials cost will stabilise by the end of this year.
    They are already starting to stabilise in the US.
    Cost of product manufacture hasn’t increased much, it’s transport costs due to Covid that have driven prices up. These will come down gradually.

John Murphy of The Four Seasons bar in Castle Street passed away yesterday.
    He must have had that bar for 30+ years I think

• Registered Users Posts: 13,494 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Would disagree about next year. Unless there is another worldwide disaster, materials cost will stabilise by the end of this year.
    They are already starting to stabilise in the US.
    Cost of product manufacture hasn’t increased much, it’s transport costs due to Covid that have driven prices up. These will come down gradually.

In the US, where building supply cost has skyrocketed, it's being attributed to a slow recover from the 2008 crash; the 'processors' (lumber mills typically) haven't ramped up capacity since that downturn because doing so is an enormous investment fraught with risk.

What's happened as a result is that since things reopened in the US there's an enormous pent-up demand for building materials and workers as everyone put off that extension/bedroom/gazebo during the lockdown and now that they've had a forced-year of 'staycation,' they want to improve the local digs. Especially now that so many are permanently working from home.

Not sure if the capacity was an issue in Ireland, it's kind of hard to tell as a consumer but I don't recall prices of building materials rising so much in the few years prior to 2020, though they've never been cheap like in the good old days. Getting people to do the work has always been difficult especially out on the Dingle Peninsula, plenty of contractors, quite a few faking it.

Not sure where timber for construction is sourced in Ireland. Are there big lumber mills? Does it come from the UK or the mainland? Or something crazy like all the way from China? I know timber production in Ireland is small-ish, and a lot of construction is concrete/cavity block+concrete tile roofs these days.

Minx/Wildpair in The Mall will be closing, they'll stay open for another 2 weeks to sell off stock & allow vouchers to be used

• Advertisement

Minx/Wildpair in The Mall will be closing, they'll stay open for another 2 weeks to sell off stock & allow vouchers to be used

awh no, that's a shame! I really like that shop and the two ladies who run it are lovely. Another big unit to fill :(

Advertisement