Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Igotadose wrote: »
    In the US, where building supply cost has skyrocketed, it's being attributed to a slow recover from the 2008 crash; the 'processors' (lumber mills typically) haven't ramped up capacity since that downturn because doing so is an enormous investment fraught with risk.

What's happened as a result is that since things reopened in the US there's an enormous pent-up demand for building materials and workers as everyone put off that extension/bedroom/gazebo during the lockdown and now that they've had a forced-year of 'staycation,' they want to improve the local digs. Especially now that so many are permanently working from home.

Not sure if the capacity was an issue in Ireland, it's kind of hard to tell as a consumer but I don't recall prices of building materials rising so much in the few years prior to 2020, though they've never been cheap like in the good old days. Getting people to do the work has always been difficult especially out on the Dingle Peninsula, plenty of contractors, quite a few faking it.

Not sure where timber for construction is sourced in Ireland. Are there big lumber mills? Does it come from the UK or the mainland? Or something crazy like all the way from China? I know timber production in Ireland is small-ish, and a lot of construction is concrete/cavity block+concrete tile roofs these days.

Sweenys near kilcummin. Prices are cheaper than Boyles. I saved 10% On a build last year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Shaka Hislop

Rose of Tralee has officially been cancelled today for this year

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Rose of Tralee has officially been cancelled today for this year

Aw damn, I was going to enter this year. The Mature Rose.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 FM252

Heard that Sean ogs may be doing a cocktail bar in addition to the whiskey bar they had planning for. They took out a long term lease apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

FM252 wrote: »
    Heard that Sean ogs may be doing a cocktail bar in addition to the whiskey bar they had planning for. They took out a long term lease apparently

What I had heard was that the hotel being built would have a cocktail bar. Not sure if that's a different thing or whether Sean Ogs might be operating it.

Also heard that Val's was going to be opening back up and that the restaurant at the corner of the Square where Croi used to be was opening again, not sure as what. No idea how accurate any of this is but just what I heard around the place.

With the Sean Ogs expansion, if the rest of it came to pass it would be a real injection to the area.

• Advertisement

Sardonicat wrote: »
    Aw damn, I was going to enter this year. The Mature Rose.

Ah here, there's mature & then there's ancient :P

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Ah here, there's mature & then there's ancient :P

You can go in for that category.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 FM252

keane2097 wrote: »
    What I had heard was that the hotel being built would have a cocktail bar. Not sure if that's a different thing or whether Sean Ogs might be operating it.

Heard they took a lease on the ela maria unit which would be beside the whiskey bar but same as you cant swear on it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

FM252 wrote: »
    Heard they took a lease on the ela maria unit which would be beside the whiskey bar but same as you cant swear on it.

There was work going on in the old Ella Maria unit today!

Seems theres going to be work carried out on the boards servers on the 7th....so boards will be read only for 2 days.
    Might post some salacious gossip on here that can't be touched for 2 days :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭newman10

Sweenys near kilcummin. Prices are cheaper than Boyles. I saved 10% On a build last year

Wouldn't be hard to be cheaper than Boyles ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Listrydude

keane2097 wrote: »

With the Sean Ogs expansion, if the rest of it came to pass it would be a real injection to the area.

Absolutely! So it's a hotel that's going in there. Wasn't sure what was going in there

• Registered Users Posts: 13,494 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Any of the shops around Tralee sell pasteurized, non-homogenized milk? Need a couple of litres.

Igotadose wrote: »
    Any of the shops around Tralee sell pasteurized, non-homogenized milk? Need a couple of litres.

There's a guy who sells his, own milk at the market on Saturday. Might be what you want

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Traleelad

I see Facebook is full of pictures of towns all over that are gearing up for outdoor summer.
    Cork have fantastic large umbrellas erected on princes street.
    I saw Dingle have really cool picnic style benches added that have a roof on them.

Anyone know if Tralee has anything planned or are our town councillors just sitting on their hands ones again???

The tralee to Killarney train will be packed every weekend if we don’t get out act together.

Ardfert milk, in SuperValu.

Ardfert milk, in SuperValu.

That was perfect, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭pickled101

There's a guy who sells his, own milk at the market on Saturday. Might be what you want

Ballymac Dairy is the brand sold in the market and he makes butter + cream as well.

Oaklands store in Oakpark stock it.

My kids love it, we get the low fat option just have to remember to bring the glass bottle back each time

pickled101 wrote: »
    Ballymac Dairy is the brand sold in the market and he makes butter + cream as well.

Oaklands store in Oakpark stock it.

My kids love it, we get the low fat option just have to remember to bring the glass bottle back each time

Does he give a refund on the bottle?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,069 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Are you sure it's a guy? :eek:

• Advertisement

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Are you sure it's a guy? :eek:

I see what you did there.... And it's a yes

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭pickled101

Does he give a refund on the bottle?

yes 50c deposit/refund
    1litre size bottle
    Milk is sourced from a local farmer
    https://ballymacdairy.ie/

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Has the mens shop Parrafin gone from Manor? I noticed another empty unit in the shopping centre as I was going upstairs to the toilets yesterday. I totally forgot to check on the way back down! I know Gloria jeans is gone, but it looked like its the unit next to that? I might be confusing it with another unit.

I hope that shopping centre gets a bit of life back into it as there's very little to bring anyone up for, unless you are going to Tesco shopping!

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭newman10

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    Has the mens shop Parrafin gone from Manor? I noticed another empty unit in the shopping centre as I was going upstairs to the toilets yesterday. I totally forgot to check on the way back down! I know Gloria jeans is gone, but it looked like its the unit next to that which I think was Parrafin?

I hope that shopping centre gets a bit of life back into it as there's very little to bring anyone up for, unless you are going to Tesco shopping!

They were looking for a Store Manager 2 weeks ago

https://ie.indeed.com/jobs?q=Retail&l=Tralee%20County%20Kerry&sort=date&start=10&vjk=a38eae4739a8775a

newman10 wrote: »

It must be a different unit so. As you go up the stairs there's a completely empty unit straight underneath. I can't place what would have been in there?

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    It must be a different unit so. As you go up the stairs there's a completely empty unit straight underneath. I can't place what would have been in there?

That's Gloria Jean's... right under the stairs?
    Nothing left bar a concrete floor

Yes I think it was just below the first level of the stairs. I thought it was tucked in a bit further.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭E mac

Paraffin was open for business yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I think the opening of Costa and then Starbucks annihilated Gloria Jeans business.

• Advertisement

ongarboy wrote: »
    I think the opening of Costa and then Starbucks annihilated Gloria Jeans business.

The stale scones and weak or burnt coffee didn't help.

Advertisement