Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭dball

Igotadose wrote: »
    The stale scones and weak or burnt coffee didn't help.

cough, cough. you forgot to add the price they charged

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Shaka Hislop

dball wrote: »
    cough, cough. you forgot to add the price they charged

The rent on that unit is absolutely ridiculous.
    A business in the town centre enquired about taking on the lease and he nearly fainted when he heard the quote... I s going to remain empty for quite a while I think

• Registered Users Posts: 24,069 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

That's Gloria Jean's... right under the stairs?
    Nothing left bar a concrete floor

I see that Mothercare's old shop has been gutted down to the concrete floor as well.

At least there's work going on in the old tile unit i.e. digging a load of square holes in the concrete, possibly to stick a few pillars in to support the mezzanine floor that was planned.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,770 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

The stale scones and weak or burnt coffee didn't help.

You forgot overpriced in your sentence.

4e for a coffee. I only went in there once.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Same here. Disgusting, overpriced coffee, dirty tables. Very uncomfortable and unpleasant experience. Never darkened the door again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Pirates Ale

You would think Upstairs in Manor is crying out for a Ballyseedy Garden Centre type restaurant.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭E mac

Anyone else get the feeling you were an inconvenience to the staff. I tried it a few times early in its opening but gave up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭phormium

I only gave it one go as well!

Bewleys were originally going into that upstairs in Manor when it started but that fell through, what went in there was akin to airport food or something, at least that is what it seemed like to me on my one visit there as well. Maybe they changed/improved I don't know, it certainly wasn't somewhere I'd go back to. A Ballyseedy style eatery might just bring extra business to the centre rather than just relying on shoppers.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭g1983d

phormium wrote: »
    I only gave it one go as well!

Bewleys were originally going into that upstairs in Manor when it started but that fell through, what went in there was akin to airport food or something, at least that is what it seemed like to me on my one visit there as well. Maybe they changed/improved I don't know, it certainly wasn't somewhere I'd go back to. A Ballyseedy style eatery might just bring extra business to the centre rather than just relying on shoppers.

The range have similar restaurants in their other shops so may take on it on but it won't change much in that case

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭cms88

E mac wrote: »
    Anyone else get the feeling you were an inconvenience to the staff. I tried it a few times early in its opening but gave up.

They found it hard to get/keep staff as the owners were watching everything they did etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

ejmaztec wrote: »
    At least there's work going on in the old tile unit i.e. digging a load of square holes in the concrete, possibly to stick a few pillars in to support the mezzanine floor that was planned.

Do you mean the old Carpetright unit? I believe the Danish furniture retailer JYSK is going in there. I saw them advertising for staff recently so that must be the fitting out of the store going ahead. If the economy rebounds post Covid with all the alleged savings we're all supposed to have built up, I'd say the Mothercare unit won't be long idle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

They have put three new benches in the Square. Anyone notice anymore new street furniture around the place?

ongarboy wrote: »
    Do you mean the old Carpetright unit? I believe the Danish furniture retailer JYSK is going in there. I saw them advertising for staff recently so that must be the fitting out of the store going ahead. If the economy rebounds post Covid with all the alleged savings we're all supposed to have built up, I'd say the Mothercare unit won't be long idle.

Yes, that's the place, it's been earmarked for JYSK for a while now, but it still says "Unit To Let", so anything could happen. They must be taking the country by storm, as they're even opening a second store in Limerick.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

kn wrote: »
    They have put three new benches in the Square. Anyone notice anymore new street furniture around the place?

I haven't noticed much, especially towards outside dining. Other towns in the county seem to have made a good effort.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Has anyone ventured out for some food/drinks since reopening? I was going for a take-away Monday evening and there seemed to be quite a few people outside the Fiddler/Cearnog. The Grand seemed to have a good few too.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭kev_Makaveli

Probably a long shot .

Would anyone happen to have a spare one of these lying around. Ours met a nasty fate and lost a battle with the lawnmower.

10127_0.jpg

Have found them on line but they either don't ship to Here or Will take ages. I've ordered a replacement but its coming from China so could be about 6 Weeks

Its off an Intex 8ft Pool

A portfolio of almost 70 social housing apartments in Tralee are up for sale. 40 in An Sean Mhuileann and 29 in the Parklands apartments. I didn't realise either of those apartment buildings had social housing. More about it in the link below..

https://www.radiokerry.ie/news/social-housing-portfolio-in-tralee-has-guide-price-of-e10-75-million-239362

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    A portfolio of almost 70 social housing apartments in Tralee are up for sale. 40 in An Sean Mhuileann and 29 in the Parklands apartments. I didn't realise either of those apartment buildings had social housing. More about it in the link below..

https://www.radiokerry.ie/news/social-housing-portfolio-in-tralee-has-guide-price-of-e10-75-million-239362

Isn't some or all of Parklands used for refugees/asylum seekers?

I was always under the impression that An Sean Mhuileann was for students, I obviously haven't kept up with developments.

I was always under the impression that An Sean Mhuileann was for students, I obviously haven't kept up with developments.

There haven't been students in An Sean Mhuileann for quite a few years now ...more money to be made from couples and families.
    Parklands is a no go area at night..not much better by day, and it's nothing to do with the refugees

I don't think Parklands is used for refugees. A friend of mine was interested in buying an apartment there a few years ago as it was a good price....or so she thought. Really badly built and not the nicest of residents in there. She quickly changed her mind! Its not a bad location and nice views of park and mountains, just a shame its been left go the way it has.

• Advertisement

Did anyone hear anything about an incident on Ashe Street? Apparently the street had to be closed off due to a man brandishing a knife and he had to be talked down by the Gardai!

Did anyone hear anything about an incident on Ashe Street? Apparently the street had to be closed off due to a man brandishing a knife and he had to be talked down by the Gardai!

No, not heard a thing. Was it in relation to the Court sittings?

Sardonicat wrote: »
    No, not heard a thing. Was it in relation to the Court sittings?

No, just an isolated incident. No court sittings today.

A 25 year old male according to radio Kerry. He's been arrested apparently.

No, just an isolated incident. No court sittings today.

A 25 year old male according to radio Kerry. He's been arrested apparently.

He had a knife, Gardai talked him down...there's a few pics on twitter

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Tralee Rugby Club opening new bar and outdoor terrace today. Interior will be designed by same people behind Molly Js and Mall Tavern according to Radio Kerry

Stobart Air has ceased trading with immediate effect.
    No more Kerry to Dublin by air...... It's going to be very difficult to get someone to take this on now I think

• Registered Users Posts: 13,496 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Stobart Air has ceased trading with immediate effect.
    No more Kerry to Dublin by air...... It's going to be very difficult to get someone to take this on now I think

There's a thread on this already, but yeah, Kerry/Dublin's done for now. Inconvenient to say the least.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

There's a thread on this already, but yeah, Kerry/Dublin's done for now. Inconvenient to say the least.
    Not for very many I would imagine. The service was a shadow of its Celtic Tiger heyday, given the road and rail improvements, and it's likely the PSO will be ended sooner rather than later anyway.

Like when Ryanair pulled the plug when it had the PSO contact, it'll be hastily retendered and will probably be up and running again by the end of the year.

Quackster wrote: »
    Not for very many I would imagine. The service was a shadow of its Celtic Tiger heyday, given the road and rail improvements, and it's likely the PSO will be ended sooner rather than later anyway.

Like when Ryanair pulled the plug when it had the PSO contact, it'll be hastily retendered and will probably be up and running again by the end of the year.

Rail improvements? It still takes four hours and a small fortune to get to Dublin by train. And no motorway til Limerick.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Sardonicat wrote: »
    Rail improvements? It still takes four hours and a small fortune to get to Dublin by train. And no motorway til Limerick.
    Indeed, they're still far from perfect. But train frequency & comfort have significantly improved. And driving to Dublin involves much more motorway and much less driving through towns than it did twenty years ago.

I used the evening flight from Kerry the odd time back in the day when the last train out of Tralee was too early for me. Don't think I've used it at all in the last decade or more, given there no longer is an evening flight and the last train from Tralee is at a much more respectable 19:05.

Advertisement