Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Quackster wrote: »
    Indeed, they're still far from perfect. But train frequency & comfort have significantly improved. And driving to Dublin involves much more motorway and much less driving through towns than it did twenty years ago.

I used the evening flight from Kerry the odd time back in the day when the last train out of Tralee was too early for me. Don't think I've used it at all in the last decade or more, given there no longer is an evening flight and the last train from Tralee is at a much more respectable 19:05.
    The nightmare that is Adare almost caused us to miss the ferry once. An hour and a half to get clear of the tail back and as soon as we hit the motorway the traffic just moved freely. True, once you get passed that bit it's usually plain enough sailing, but we could do with one or two busses a day direct to Limerick that could connect with the direct bus from Limerick to Dublin. While the road journey by car has improved, the bus journey is as arduous as ever, and it's all some people can afford.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Looking for a heating system installer for a Grant boilerhouse boiler, hopefully someone that can come to the Dingle area. It'll be a good-sized job including new oil tank, running pipes through concrete footpaths, some trenching to make that happen, and possibly splitting 1 zone into two. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,770 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Sardonicat wrote: »
    The nightmare that is Adare almost caused us to miss the ferry once. An hour and a half to get clear of the tail back and as soon as we hit the motorway the traffic just moved freely. True, once you get passed that bit it's usually plain enough sailing, but we could do with one or two busses a day direct to Limerick that could connect with the direct bus from Limerick to Dublin. While the road journey by car has improved, the bus journey is as arduous as ever, and it's all some people can afford.
    I always go via Tarbert and foynes.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

The Dublin Coach service is a hell of a lot better than when the only option was Bus Éireann with its extended stops at Limerick bus station to change vehicle and its innumerable stops along the way.

What we could do with is a bus service that doesn't go via Limerick as that adds a good 30 minutes to the DC service.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭phormium

I always go via Tarbert and foynes.

Me too, I'd only go the Adare route even though it's better road if it was some strange random hour of day or preferably night! While the coast road is a bit slower it's consistent, seldom any holdups.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

Just bypass at the Ballingary Road before Adare and you come out at the roundabout where they sell the Strawberries.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

Indeed, they're still far from perfect. But train frequency & comfort have significantly improved.

Not if your changing at Mallow with a load of luggage and the lift on the blink more often than not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭cute geoge

Igotadose wrote: »
    Looking for a heating system installer for a Grant boilerhouse boiler, hopefully someone that can come to the Dingle area. It'll be a good-sized job including new oil tank, running pipes through concrete footpaths, some trenching to make that happen, and possibly splitting 1 zone into two. Thanks!

murty delany is pretty good at service of them anyway ,goes by kerry boilers i think

kn wrote: »
    Not if your changing at Mallow with a load of luggage and the lift on the blink more often than not.
    I can't recall the last time I changed at Mallow and needed to cross the footbridge to change trains. The vast majority of connecting Dublin-Cork trains crossover to pull up at the island platform.

I can't recall the last time I changed at Mallow and needed to cross the footbridge to change trains. The vast majority of connecting Dublin-Cork trains crossover to pull up at the island platform.

Not coming from Dublin. They often pull in at platform 1 and you have to cross the footbridge to platform 3 for the Kerry train.

• Advertisement

Not coming from Dublin. They often pull in at platform 1 and you have to cross the footbridge to platform 3 for the Kerry train.
    Sometimes but not most times. As I said, I travel on this nearly every week and cannot recall the last time I had to cross the footbridge when coming from Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Traleelad

A lot of media expose about damage to a parking meter in Tralee to the tune of 6000 Euro.

Whilst I sympathise with Kerry Co Co one would wonder if there would be as much exposure into a shop window being broken or private/commercial property being vandalised.

I assume the meter would have been insured.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭The_Kitty

Sometimes but not most times. As I said, I travel on this nearly every week and cannot recall the last time I had to cross the footbridge when coming from Dublin.

It depends on the time of day and the day. Like sometimes you do have to cross it and if another person was doing a different day and time every week their experience would be the opposite of yours. Like sometimes you dont even have to change trains. I dont see why you're arguing with another persons experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,770 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Traleelad wrote: »
    A lot of media expose about damage to a parking meter in Tralee to the tune of 6000 Euro.

Whilst I sympathise with Kerry Co Co one would wonder if there would be as much exposure into a shop window being broken or private/commercial property being vandalised.

I assume the meter would have been insured.

I assume the shop would be insured as well

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

I assume the shop would be insured as well

The carpark is owned by the council, don't think Garveys would have to have insurance for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Shaka Hislop

I see that the Pride flag being flown at the vaccination centre is coming in for some abuse amongst certain quarters here in town

The_Kitty wrote: »
    It depends on the time of day and the day. Like sometimes you do have to cross it and if another person was doing a different day and time every week their experience would be the opposite of yours. Like sometimes you dont even have to change trains. I dont see why you're arguing with another persons experience.
    Strange post. They were arguing with my experience.

The majority of down trains cross over to the island platform. A minority are unable to cross over due to conflicts.

I see that the Pride flag being flown at the vaccination centre is coming in for some abuse amongst certain quarters here in town

I presume it's an SU decision to fly the flag on a Univerdity building as its Pride week. Most third level institutions do similar. People don't have a lot to be bothered about, do they? Are they frightened they were being injected with The Gay, or something?

I presume it's an SU decision to fly the flag on a Univerdity building as its Pride week. Most third level institutions do similar. People don't have a lot to be bothered about, do they? Are they frightened they were being injected with The Gay, or something?

It's a satanic symbol apparently

It's a satanic symbol apparently

FFS.

• Advertisement

FFS.

Haters gonna hate.....we definitely have a few uneducated and hate filled people here in town

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Dunnes NCR is slowly coming together! I don't know when they are due to be finished the renovation works, hopefully not much longer. Its a bit of a chore shopping in there at the moment as literally everything has been moved around and it seems to take me longer to do a shop these days!

Looking forward to when its finished, I'd say it will look great.

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    Dunnes NCR is slowly coming together! I don't know when they are due to be finished the renovation works, hopefully not much longer. Its a bit of a chore shopping in there at the moment as literally everything has been moved around and it seems to take me longer to do a shop these days!

Looking forward to when its finished, I'd say it will look great.
    Tell me about it! Took me ages to find the baked beans the last day I was in! :D

Tell me about it! Took me ages to find the baked beans the last day I was in! :D

Same here, then they moved them again!!! I come home missing half the things I needed! :rolleyes:

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    Same here, then they moved them again!!! I come home missing half the things I needed! :rolleyes:

The poor staff are are driven demented!

The poor staff are are driven demented!

I can imagine! I’d say they don’t even know where to find stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭poppy37

It used take me twenty mins to do a shop as I go first thing in the morning, this weekend it took about double that and I must have gone around the shop half a dozen times trying to find Barilla pasta sauce, pasta sauce isn’t beside the dried pasta any more.

It’s going to be like the Jetland Dunnes, commonly known in Limerick as the Dunnes with notions. Any time I am in there I spend way more than planned.

• Registered Users Posts: 59,610 ✭✭✭✭namenotavailablE

Re Dunnes Stores' new layout- I was wondering if it was just me slowing down and getting doddery. The 'logic' of the placement of stuff is opaque. You can find detergents on an aisle and then also as a 'special' a few aisles away. It definitely is taking me longer to find stuff.

Bah humbug and all that to the change.

Re Dunnes Stores' new layout- I was wondering if it was just me slowing down and getting doddery. The 'logic' of the placement of stuff is opaque. You can find detergents on an aisle and then also as a 'special' a few aisles away. It definitely is taking me longer to find stuff.

Bah humbug and all that to the change.

It could be deliberate as well to get you to shop more for impulse buys by breaking up your routine. That's a common supermarket tactic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59,610 ✭✭✭✭namenotavailablE

It could be deliberate as well to get you to shop more for impulse buys by breaking up your routine. That's a common supermarket tactic.

How little they must know about me :p

1. I am a creature of habit when it comes to grocery shopping.
    2. I shop with a list.
    3. I want the things listed.
    4. If I get frustrated in the acquisition of said things, I may switch my loyalty.
    One thing that should help soon is putting actual signs at the head of each aisle so that customers can at least filter the relevant aisles, although the mix of 'east-to-west' and 'north-to-south' aisles might make the signage look a little bit cluttered. It would still be an improvement over the existing trial and error experience.

Advertisement