Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Neewollah

Hi all,

just wondering if anyone could offer some advice.

A group of 5 are heading to Tralee in mid July for a few rounds of golf. Just wondering if any locals could tell me what pubs are currently open with outdoor seating under current guidelines. We want to book a few places in the coming days. It's looking likely now that only those with outdoor dining will be open for at least the next month

Ideally if any places had good screens to cover sports would be a plus also

we are staying in the Meadowlands.

thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 47 FM252

Off the top of my head....anyway Meadowlands have a nice new terrace and nice sports bar for residents.
    In town, I think the main spot with terraces are Ashe Hotel in town centre, Molly j's which is a part of Benners Hotel in town centre (large courtyard), then in the town square there is number 4 and cearnog bar. Maybe Sean Og's as it has large smoking area/courtyard but not sure.

In regards to outside town, on the way to Tralee golf course there Oyster Tavern with a nice new terrace outside and the Tankard. Both really nice with Osyter being more of drinking spot and tankard more for food but with bar etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Bailey43

FM252 wrote: »
    Off the top of my head....anyway Meadowlands have a nice new terrace and nice sports bar for residents.
    In town, I think the main spot with terraces are Ashe Hotel in town centre, Molly j's which is a part of Benners Hotel in town centre (large courtyard), then in the town square there is number 4 and cearnog bar. Maybe Sean Og's as it has large smoking area/courtyard but not sure.

In regards to outside town, on the way to Tralee golf course there Oyster Tavern with a nice new terrace outside and the Tankard. Both really nice with Osyter being more of drinking spot and tankard more for food but with bar etc.

That's great information even for the locals

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Neewollah

FM252 wrote: »

That's excellent. thank you very much

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Shaka Hislop

Neewollah wrote: »
    That's excellent. thank you very much

I was in Sean Ogs at the weekend...it has a large smoking area converted for seating alright....it's not really open air, you're covered in ...no large screen
    I think the football clubs, Austin Stacks and Kerins O'Rahillys were showing the Kerry game at the weekend, they do food also

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,020 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

I was in Sean Ogs at the weekend...it has a large smoking area converted for seating alright....it's not really open air, you're covered in ...no large screen
    I think the football clubs, Austin Stacks and Kerins O'Rahillys were showing the Kerry game at the weekend, they do food also

Smoking areas aren't meant to be covered in as you say.

If there is a health inspector reading this they may be paying a visit!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

There's a new atm machine at the old Lifestyle sports unit in Bridge Street! Great to see one finally finally down that end. Makes no sense having them all at the banks side of town.

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    There's a new atm machine at the old Lifestyle sports unit in Bridge Street! Great to see one finally finally down that end. Makes no sense having them all at the banks side of town.

Be careful.... that's aimed mainly at tourists, I think there is a nice little charge for using that

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

Neewollah wrote: »
    Hi all,

just wondering if anyone could offer some advice.

A group of 5 are heading to Tralee in mid July for a few rounds of golf. Just wondering if any locals could tell me what pubs are currently open with outdoor seating under current guidelines. We want to book a few places in the coming days. It's looking likely now that only those with outdoor dining will be open for at least the next month

Ideally if any places had good screens to cover sports would be a plus also

we are staying in the Meadowlands.

thanks in advance
    Not aware of anywhere doing 'bookings' per se for outdoor dining. Benners Hotel in the centre of town have a largish Courtyard for outdoor dining/drinking. The Grand Hotel are operating outdoor as well. But just very few pubs are doing outdoors. The two in the Square are the main one's.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

kn wrote: »
    Not aware of anywhere doing 'bookings' per se for outdoor dining. Benners Hotel in the centre of town have a largish Courtyard for outdoor dining/drinking. The Grand Hotel are operating outdoor as well. But just very few pubs are doing outdoors. The two in the Square are the main one's.

I think you have to book for Benners at the weekends (evenings probably), but think they do walk-in during the day. Benners are only doing food though, not doing drink only service at the moment.

• Advertisement

The Aqua Dome are set to reopen next week! Great news for them. They have been closed for what must be at least a year & half now.

Bad news for the restaurants and pubs who can't do indoor trade for another couple of weeks (at least).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Drove by Castle Street this evening and pleased to see the 4 or 5 vacant units adjacent to Baileys pub all cleaned up and repainted. While they all look to still unfortunately be unoccupied, it really freshens up the street and removes the shabby look. Let's hope they get new occupants soon!

The old Bridge Inn boutique hotel development is really taking shape now also. It looks well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,770 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

The Aqua Dome are set to reopen next week! Great news for them. They have been closed for what must be at least a year & half now.

Bad news for the restaurants and pubs who can't do indoor trade for another couple of weeks (at least).

They posted to say they won't be opening due to continued restrictions

They posted to say they won't be opening due to continued restrictions

That's a shame! I see the Playdium have had to put a similar post up that they can't re-open either :(

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

That's a shame! I see the Playdium have had to put a similar post up that they can't re-open either :(
    It's frustrating but hearing just how easily the Delta variant spreads with even the most casual contact lasting mere seconds, I can't help but think it's for the best that further reopening is paused until most of the population has been fully vaccinated.

Have to agree, it's the same old illiterate Facebook facists who are shouting about their freedom being denied.
    You just have to look at the English to see they had more new cases of Covid yesterday than the whole of the EU combined....pubs have been a breeding ground over the Euro's.... we're now entering the business end of the GAA championships....a recipe for disaster if places are opened too early.
    Personally, I think more of the population needs to be vaccinated before reopening....so I can see it being after the August bank holiday before indoor dining is doable

• Registered Users Posts: 17,020 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Have to agree, it's the same old illiterate Facebook facists who are shouting about their freedom being denied.
    You just have to look at the English to see they had more new cases of Covid yesterday than the whole of the EU combined....pubs have been a breeding ground over the Euro's.... we're now entering the business end of the GAA championships....a recipe for disaster if places are opened too early.
    Personally, I think more of the population needs to be vaccinated before reopening....so I can see it being after the August bank holiday before indoor dining is doable

Are things a disaster in Denmark at the moment.

And when I say disaster I don't mean the mood of the nation lifting and people enjoying themselves. Although I know that is a disaster for some.

BPKS wrote: »
    Are things a disaster in Denmark at the moment.

And when I say disaster I don't mean the mood of the nation lifting and people enjoying themselves. Although I know that is a disaster for some.

No, there is no disaster in Denmark...and do you know why?
    Because for indoor dining and drinking, you need to be vaccinated or have a negative PCR test...
    Thanks for proving my point.

45% of the adult population is now fully vaccinated...30-34yo portal opens next week

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

Got a leaflet through the door from the ACI/Gemma O'Doherty looney tunes brigade re COVID vaccine so they are active in Tralee. Surely all argument re the vaccines is mute with the evidence from the UK that it is broadly effective against severe outcomes with the Delta/Indian variant (I think you can still argue that AZ is the poor relation of them and I heard the Labour leader Alan Kelly on radio today saying that the elderly and health workers had been sold short in getting AZ rather Pfizer in this regard).

Can the Covid chat be moved to the appropriate thread please as its starting to go off topic again on the Tralee thread. Thanks. MOD

• Advertisement

Dunnes is starting to come together a bit more! I hadn't been in since last Friday and today the healthfood section, 'Nourish' was open. The cheesemongers 'Sheridans' looks like it will be open next week. It seemed as though the place was a lot more organised now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,495 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

My strimmer might need a carburetor rebuild. Anyone to recommend around Tralee for 2-cycle engine work? It's a McCulloch strimmer from Woodies, and has become nigh unto impossible to start

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Forge83

Igotadose wrote: »
    My strimmer might need a carburetor rebuild. Anyone to recommend around Tralee for 2-cycle engine work? It's a McCulloch strimmer from Woodies, and has become nigh unto impossible to start

JPD lawnmowers in Monavalley can repair it. You sure it’s not just a new spark plug it needs?
    Unless it’s a really good strimmers it might be more cost effective to buy a new one as replacing a carburetor on a McCulloch might not be cost effective.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,495 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Forge83 wrote: »
    JPD lawnmowers in Monavalley can repair it. You sure it’s not just a new spark plug it needs?
    Unless it’s a really good strimmers it might be more cost effective to buy a new one as replacing a carburetor on a McCulloch might not be cost effective.

I pulled the spark plug and it looked pretty clean and shiny to me, no fouling that I could see nor any pitting.

It is a good strimmer, cost over 100 euros when I bought it a few years ago. If you were to recommend a good replacement, what would you recommend?

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Forge83

Igotadose wrote: »
    I pulled the spark plug and it looked pretty clean and shiny to me, no fouling that I could see nor any pitting.

It is a good strimmer, cost over 100 euros when I bought it a few years ago. If you were to recommend a good replacement, what would you recommend?

You could get lucky and it could be a small repair.
    If they need to replace the carburettor you are looking at anything from €60/80. Personally I’d ask them to look at it, if something small let them fix it, if a bigger job trade it in against a new one as McCulloch aren’t a brand that one expects to get 20 years out of. Procut in woodies is about the cheapest you will get these days at €150.
    JPD sell a lot of Stihl but are expensive approx €240+ for a base model.
    Shanahan’s do Honda but even more expensive but one of the best.
    Husqvarna base model approx €200/€220 is another good one.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭kev_Makaveli

Is the station house closed down. Couldn't use the app and phone wasn't working. Drove past and the doors were closed.

Nothing on their Facebook or website

• Registered Users Posts: 6,770 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Opening date for the range

https://www.therange.co.uk/stores/tralee/

Don't know why they don't have an Irish website.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,069 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Opening date for the range

https://www.therange.co.uk/stores/tralee/

Don't know why they don't have an Irish website.

It's about time the Debenhams signage etc was removed, as no one needs reminding of the bad old days.

I see that the Mezzanine floor has been installed in the old tile unit, but have seen no further info on whether or not JYSK is actually going to rent it. It still says To Let" on the sign.

Is the station house closed down. Couldn't use the app and phone wasn't working. Drove past and the doors were closed.

Nothing on their Facebook or website

Haven't heard anything but there doesn't seem to be any activity on their facebook page anymore. Not sure though, I haven't eaten from there in years.

• Advertisement

There were a good few cars had items stolen from them in the Oakpark area in the past week! The Gardai said it happened at night and the cars were unlocked! They won't get much luck from their insurance companies if the cars weren't locked!

http://traleetoday.ie/spate-of-thefts-from-vehicles-in-tralee-estates-over-past-week/?fbclid=IwAR1p8XiKr874ET5IHArK4JeUhzz1K0WO7ffPKIVCWQrncxp7FN5PECrecSE

Advertisement