Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,770 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Pity. The food was very good. The chef had been at the breacon in killarney.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Terry's Butchers will be closed today and tomorrow, after some staff members tested positive for Covid - they say most are fully vaccinated, but they are awaiting further results.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Apparently another phone repair shop! Just what the town needs! 🙄

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Vogue in ivy Terrace appears to be Vogue Hair & Beauty which is over by Dunnes NCR. They are opening a second salon! Looked to be open today.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I don't understand why there are so many but I'm guessing they all surely can turn a profit? In 20 + years of owning a mobile phone, I think I only used such a shop once to buy a replacement battery so I guess I'm not their target market. The one in the old Lee Records next to BOI looks really cheap and tatty looking from the outside for a supposedly brand new shop!

In other updates, Jysk opening in Manor in October according to the news yesterday . It was to open in early summer but got delayed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 FM252

The shop on castle street, i actualy went in once with an emergency of spilled drink on laptop. Extremely knowledgeable and great to deal with.

Workers were also talking with teenagers about new games coming out and what to expect etc as they bought second hand games i think. Alot more than phone repair shop more of a tech shop / geek shop. Far better than expected and I went there after a google and seeing all the great reviews

Usually i would have gone to apple store but for Tralee this was a great asset to have

Is that the one on the corner across from St. John's church? I have heard they are very good to deal with. There's another one only just opened further down next to Bank of Ireland.

I could. E wrong.. but I think all 3 of you are talking about different shops...first poster was talking about the new phone accessory shop across from Bailey's

Second poster talking about Techneek.

And youre talking about Phonedealz.

It's getting confusing at this stage 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭bobdcow

I like the repair shop across from Yummy cafe :-)

• Advertisement

Is First chapter in Manor shopping centre still in business? I was up there this afternoon but they were closed. I had promised to get an ice-cream for my little boy!

The centre seems very dead any time I go up there. Hopefully with the opening of The Range it will improve the place.

First Chapter - as far as I am aware it is closed on Sunday.

Oh right, thanks. That's strange, it never used to close on Sundays.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Pirates Ale

No, in fact it tended to be busy of a Sunday, but I guess Covid and the loss of Debenhams changed that.

We were only talking about Manor yesterday, Debenhams was a big attraction with a wide range of products aimed at every age

The Range isnt going to have the same appeal.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,784 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Yeah, considering the former Debenhams units in Mahon Point and Newbridge have been taken on by Frasers, The Range is a disappointment by comparison.

But I guess beggars can't be choosers...

Post edited by Quackster on

I don't know much about the Range, but from the comments I saw on social media when it was announced they were opening and anything since then, its all been very positive and a lot of people seem to be really excited by them opening. Same for JYSK. Hopefully they will do ok. I wonder if anyone will take over the cafe upstairs?

The range in Limerick is a nice shop - like its name it has a wide range of items. We were impressed by it and we do visit when we are in Limerick. It's mainly household items. It will be nice when it comes to Tralee but it something like Frasers would have been better. I do think Shaw's should up their game and try to replace what we lost with Debenhams.

Yeah, Shaws could do with a bit more. Its very old fashioned, I really don't like it as a shop. They have lost a few consession stores too though with Evans, Dorothy Perkins and I think the mens one too. So they will need to have a bit of a change if they want to improve.

Yeah, it's great they're coming to Tralee alright. But specifically in relation to the Debenhams unit, a more direct replacement (which a department store like Frasers would be) would have been better IMO.

We are also really starting to lack in decent clothes & shops in Tralee. There's not really a great selection anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Ducked into Shaws for first time in years last week to avoid a rain shower. I agree with you about it being old fashioned. They used to have a Burtons concession for men that did fairly decent and contemporary casual and formal clothes but that's gone and now there seems to be absolutely nothing in menswear that anyone under 50 would want to wear. My sisters say womenswear is the same...catering for much older women. Its like its just a larger version of Dan Fitzgeralds. Nothing against that age bracket, just that Shaws doesn't serve the majority of the population who buy clothes more often.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 FM252

Just saw in an Examiner article a few days ago that there is talk of a sportswear chain, I presume Elverys buying the Dunnes Store in town.

It said it nearly as fact but under the disguise of local gossip. Any one hear anything?

The article is headed...'Ireland's empty towns' if anyone is interested.

There's been a fatal car crash on the Tralee-Listowel road this afternoon. Unfortunately a 20 year old woman has died at the scene. RIP :(

Road is presumably closed, for anyone travelling that direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,770 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Closed from the bypass roadabout. Nightmare to get home today

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Pirates Ale

Surely the Cafe will be opened up again, and hopefully will be much better that what was there before, that wouldnt be hard mind you!

The cafe was run by Debenhams as far as I know, so unless the Range do cafes with their stores, then I don't know who will reopen it.

The Range has cafes in some stores but as it's entirely separate from the unit they're taking in Manor, it could just as easily be taken on by Tesco (who also have cafes in some stores) or a third-party.

Following on from what we were saying about Shaws, I just read that they now have Mango as a new concession store! That's good news and hopefully a sign of more names to join them. I haven't shopped in Mango in years but I used to love it when I lived in Dublin. Definitely will be calling in!

The range in Limerick used to have a cafe but it has been closed since Covid came along.

• Advertisement

In fairness to Shaws, a lot of their concessions were Arcadia Group companies and they lost them all suddenly when Arcadia went belly-up some months ago.

I'm guessing it takes time to line up replacements.

Advertisement