Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭g1983d

This is true, all boils down to people putting themselves 1st over the town, ROT, gaa or committe they are involved in.

There are very few selfless people left that give to something with no expectations of getting back unfortunately.

Would've imagined they had yhe last 2 years to be planning this buy don't know how it all works either to actually know

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

The Aqua Dome are reopening on the 15th March! They are looking for staff. I posted details in the jobs thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭amadain

Company worth 300K imvho (O'G might sell it for 400K)

Hard to know without seeing accounts I guess, if there's big debts the price goes down.

Whatever the case he will want his share anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

It's a right comedown from the Rose hotel to the Meadowlands. No disrespect to the Meadowlands but it's not the scale of the Rose Hotel. Blurb says they will have exclusive use of the Hotel with the exception of the bar. Looks as if the festival is going to be another victim of COVID.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Agreed. Hosting the Rose TV show in a sports hall is akin to a local fundraiser dance in a parish hall. Major undermining of its prestige...or maybe that was lost years ago?🤔🤔

Was just saying the other day what a flagship hotel The Rose Hotel is for Tralee and now the festival committee turning its nose up on that great venue that would best compliment the festival. Again no disrespect to Meadowlands but its not in the same league and is hidden away in the middle of a residential suburb.

I'm now waiting to hear some announcement from the Rose Committee that some tatty mobile phone repair shop will now be the proud new main sponsor of the festival!!🙄🙄

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Latest update on the festival changes...the dome is on the move, to a more central location....who knows where that will be? O'Gara seems to be very defensive in this 'statement'! The whole thing is a bit ridiculous now.

New Dome Structure To Be Located In Town Centre For Rose Festival - traleetoday.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Bailey43

I would give a good guess and say Pearce Park is where the new tent (dome) will be

• Registered Users Posts: 6,772 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Why are they launching the RoT festival in Dublin.

Why not call it the rose of Dublin festival?

• Advertisement

I think they do that every year, weren't DAA a sponsor and they do the RTE photos out in Montrose that will be in front of rte guide

• Registered Users Posts: 24,069 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I get the impression that it's going to be a dirty business accommodation wise. The American contingent might want to give their money to the Rose Hotel, especially as the Rose Hotel is still listed as a sponsor on the ROT website.

I haven't followed the goings on for years, and didn't realise that there were only two other sponsors (KCC and RTE). Someone on Facebook mentioned that Guinness pulled out, but I haven't a clue when that happened, and they must have lost others over the years.

It all seems to be a bit of a mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Its all a bit Father Ted for me, we'll have the rose selection night and we will have the over 75's football game on beforehand

Guinness pulled out at least 15 years ago, if not more. That was the downfall of the festival really as the big acts stopped coming and playing as they couldn't afford it anymore. I think Tipperary crystal is another sponsor and then they go to businesses in town for help.

I was in Manor today so I popped into Jam for a takeaway coffee. It doesn't look like they are taking the old Gloria Jeans unit down underneath them as its still vacant and has the to let sign still up. The Debenhams signage is still on all the glass barrier and on the outside window upstairs. You would have expected that to have all been removed by now. Coffee was just ok. I'd prefer to go over to the Bookshelf.

And Newbridge silverware, I guess sponsors will stay if they feel they are getting value for money and shown a bit of corporate love

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭hanamandiol

I was expecting more from Jam, but it didn't look like much. Can't really understand why the debenhams logos are still up. Why would a company want their name up around their business?

I noticed a lot of trees were cut down in the Clash area. There were a lot cut down recently by the train tracks/level crossing, and further up towards Ballybeggan there were more done (one huge one still lying in the field). Possibly damaged in last storm in December.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭phormium

I went over to Manor few weeks ago to go to Jam, fancied something nice as I used to love their place in Killarney. I went upstairs, took a look and left, there is terribly small selection and nothing like they used to be. The customers ahead of me wanted to get a sandwich made up but they said they didn't do that, just what was in the cold cabinet available so it's obviously either not a shadow of it's former self or just not fully set up yet and running more like a takeaway kiosk.

I went out to Ballyseedy instead for a nice slice of cake and coffee.

• Registered Users Posts: 59,610 ✭✭✭✭namenotavailablE

Myself and my better half had the exact same experience as you, Phormium. We had been looking forward to a visit but were put off by the layout and queue.

I suppose we'll give it a go at some point but Ballyseedy has been getting our recent custom (handier for parking too).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭Radio5

Lots of signage for shops that closed are still up in Deerpark centre in Killarney also, D Perkins etc. You would think they'd be removed by now.

Went to Ballyseedy Garden Centre cafe for lunch recently and was impressed. I am not in Tralee area very often but on reading the comments above about Manor, I'm glad I made that choice.

Ballyseedy garden centre are good for food. They are so busy there, mainly at the weekends with big queues around lunch time! They have added more seating inside, and the kids indoor play area is now gone so extra seats in that section now too.

Great play area outside for the kids.

It's lovely in Ballyseedy Garden Centre, pity about the indoor play, that was a victim of Covid very early on, couldn't be having all those kids touching the same toys! Doubt it will come back now when the seating is there. They are still missing the seating they had in the area just after the tills in that semi circular bit but I notice there is a display of garden furniture there now, it was just empty before. Just a matter of time before on a busy day someone sits on the display stuff :)

The Bookshelf was closed today when I was over that way, was that just today or has it been closed longer? No obvious note on door or on SM that I could find. I fancied a raspberry scone with my coffee!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Any chance you looked at their seed selection? Seems overall not so much available this year so far...

No I didn't I'm afraid, saw a load of seeds somewhere recently, just happened to notice what I thought was a big display of them even though I don't buy any usually. Thing is I go practically nowhere so can't think of where it could be other than maybe Woodies!

The Bookshelf was only closed for today, back open tomorrow. They had some issue with electricity, I think the ESB were turning it off for most of day.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭wackokid

Probably off topic but can anybody here say for sure that Tralee General Hospital has a CARDIAC unit?

Met somebody from the town recently who thinks they don't have such a unit.

I find that hard to believe in this day and age.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭boardlady

Advertisement