Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭barryribs

Great idea, and what angle does sunlight enter the pedestrianised area? I'll give you a hint, check the shadow on the chimney

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭traleelad2

Are you having a laugh. Are you insinuating that we shouldn't build a badly needed court house at that location because it’ll block the sun on the footpath 😂

The main central area where the chimney is will be unaffected, that’s the main pedestrianised zone!

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,768 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

You do realise that the site in question was earmarked for a commercial building in the Island of Geese masterplan from day one? It's now simply been decided that the commercial building to be constructed there will be the new courthouse.

Don't remember anyone objecting to the building of a commercial building on that site (due to potential shadowing or whatever reason) before now.

The grass lawn there was always intended to be temporary, just like the lawn at the back of the site where social housing will be built next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭g1983d

I think a new courthouse is badly needed and closer to the town centre the better to keep business, add3d bonus of being near garda Station to make their life a bit easier attending cases and maybe being able to go back to station for other work inbetween cases.

With the old courthouse, it's an opportunity to get a gaa museum up and running, that or a private developer open a bar or something but as evidenced in this here, the people of tralee cant just get along for the betterment of the town.

Everything needs to be objected to, fought against or just put down in general and those that may want to better the town get no support and shouted down

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

And also Dick Boyle wouldn't want to lose his contract feeding the juror's cold carvery down in the Grand if it moved out to Ballymullen. I've been that soldier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Morebypasses

Your last paragraph hits the nail on the head. Shout down progress seems to be the motto. One telling comment from one of the councilliors from Killarney at the meeting on Monday is "I will gladly take the 20 million investment in my area if Tralee tuns it down". I sense this issue would not get any air time in Killarney and the new court house would probably be built by now. Meanwhile in our town plans are in place to oppose the construction in Tralee. God help us.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,698 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

It's typical of Tralee, turn down everything that would be good for it.

Leiberr,M&S. I'm sure there is more.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,357 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

When is the work over by Forge Cross (Colliswood?) due to be finished? They have cleared all the trees away from there where the little bridge was etc. We used to walk up there during lockdown, was a lovely little area. Pity its been so cleared now.

Traffic is crazy in Oakpark in the mornings now as no one able to use that road to get to Listellick. Don't know when its due to finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Pirates Ale

I'd imagine the residents on that road are probably happy that it is closed, the amount of traffic on it since the bypass opened was crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,698 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

What's the actual purpose of the road works?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,357 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Its being widened as far as I know. The bridge used to only allow 1 car at a time before. I would say it will only get worse when it reopens with traffic if its being widened.

It's a new northern relief road from Forge Cross to Listellick, the next section of a road around the town that will eventually stretch all the way to Blenerville, via the Bracker O'Regan Road and a western relief road through the Kerries (a part of which is currently under construction as part of the new housing scheme in Lohercannon).

Should be finished next summer I think. The existing narrow road will never again be used as a rat run. Can't wait for it to open as it'll take a lot of traffic off the Killeen Road.

I didn’t realise the scheme in lohercannon included part of that road. That’s fantastic news.

I think the bridge that’s going in at forge cross is dual carriageway size. Do they have funding to complete the full road. I thought it was just the bridge that had funding at this stage.

Are they actually widening the existing road or re-routing it? I struggle to see how they could widen the existing one without encroaching on the houses.

It’s being re routed

It has to be wide enough for the road and for footpath/cycleways at both sides.

They widened the road by the MTU too and put in a pedestrian crossing and an extra right turn lane into the college. Much better now.

Something needs to be done about that junction in Manor by the Bookshelf. It is impossible to get out from there as traffic is always coming off the roundabout or out of the main Manor carpark. Almost no one will let you out and the traffic coming from say Billy Naugtons is also trying to come out at the same time. When its busy its just impossible. It puts me off going up to Mr Price etc as I just can't be dealing with that junction after. I don't know if its the council or is it Manor owners themselves who need to sort it out?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,438 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

We just were there today, thinking of trying the bookshelf but the mayhem at the intersection in the middle of the day was crazy. Maybe another time, it's way too many roads coming together with no one certain of who has priority.

Just a bad intersection.

Yeah, really badly designed and too confusing. I would be surprised if there haven't been a few bumps or near misses there! We thought someone was leaving us out earlier, she slowed down & when we went to pull out she kept going!! Its so frustrating there!

• Advertisement

Just turn left and go all the way around the small roundabout and come back out.

Its getting out of there full stop that's the problem. Doesn't make a difference what direction you are going!

TBF a few signs, etc. might help. It's "here's a complex intersection, there's the shop I want I think, how do I get there" with traffic bearing down on you from 3 or 4 directions at once.

In my opinion, Tralee's pretty confusing to drive around, not like I have a tonne of experience driving there but it's always challenging and I find I take my well known trips and do a lot of walking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭TigerTim

I seem to remember reading that the road would be closed for 16months. Can't wait for killeen road & old Killeen road to quieten down

T.

I wonder will they put a new roundabout on the junction where it comes out on the abbeydorney road? Presumably they will.

Not strictly Tralee related, but anyone know how long the work on the N26 through Annascaul is supposed to last? It starts today. Hopefully the result is the 'washboard' through town becomes as smooth as the newer N86 paving

Thanks. Is there a link/website? I'm wondering what they're doing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭lordleitrim

There's a thread here on Boards under the Roads forum that discusses the N86 road improvements at length. You might get more info there.

Advertisement