Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

siblers wrote: »
    Reading some of the reviews on the Facebook page, there are so many people out there who would be more suited to living in 1950s Ireland. Amazing how people can get so upset over the rose who spoke about Repel The 8th

And why complain on the Rose page? How is it their fault she mentioned it? She's entitled to her opinion!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

kerryked wrote: »
    Haven't seen much of the reviews myself - not too bothered really.

Are people giving out about the fact that abortion was mentioned at all and that the festival shouldn't be used as a political platform Ciarrai?

You can't really have it both ways - if you're going to ban women talking about issues such as abortion etc, it's a lovely girls competition. If you don't want it to be a lovely girls competition you've got to allow discussion on pertinent social issues.

I did see something (possibly on here) about the Roses being interviewed in private and asked about their opinions on a range of different topics, and that they were judged on these views. Also so something about Mary Kennedy "strongly disagreeing" (paraphrasing) with what the Sydney Rose said. As the head of the judging panel I would have expected more understanding from her.

Yes, it seems they are giving out that it wasn't the place to say it. but the Rose committee probably didn't know she was planning on saying it! I don't see the big deal personally.

There's been a lot of bad feeling this year on the festival as a whole, primarily to do with the square being used for ticketed gigs.

The post by the Down Rose has been deleted apparently, but it's been in the media already!
    http://www.breakingnews.ie/discover/down-rose-claims-roses-were-manipulated-bullied-and-mistreated-751568.html

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Pirates Ale

All in all, they would probably be better going back to the old formula of bringing the finalists only to Tralee and letting all of them have their TV moment rather than going all x factor like.
    This might also free up the Dome for the ticketed music events.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭kerryked

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    So electricity seems to be off In our estate (which we were notified of) so that TLI can do works, which we weren't notified of! They are drilling all over the place & now our house alarm is going off & can't be stopped! I am going mad already! 😡
    Dont know why TLI didn't bother to notify us of these works.

Too busy saving horses Ciarrai!

http://traleetoday.ie/photos-tli-workers-rescue-horse-mud-north-kerry/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 Tomhere

Can anyone recommend a building supplier for standard 9" cavity blocks and 1/2 sized cavity blocks that delivers in Tralee area. Need for some raised beds. 150-175 blocks needed. Cheers.

Tomhere wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a building supplier for standard 9" cavity blocks and 1/2 sized cavity blocks that delivers in Tralee area. Need for some raised beds. 150-175 blocks needed. Cheers.

McMahons up in Clash do blocks and have a grab on the truck for lifting them in. I'm sure Boyle's and Heiton Buckleys would probably have the same.
    Best bet is to ring around for a few prices.

Ardfert Quarries also do block afaik, but not sure if they would deliver that quantity, think that's only about 4 bales. (45 in a bale of cavity, iirc).

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭bobdcow

There is a meeting for BTS members in the meadowlands today at 1pm, you have to present your keyfob and have your name on a list before your gain entry to the meeting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Felix Jones is God

bobdcow wrote: »
    There is a meeting for BTS members in the meadowlands today at 1pm, you have to present your keyfob and have your name on a list before your gain entry to the meeting.

And a signed note from both your grandparents?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

I went to a gym once in my life. Never again.
    I guess I never needed huge arms to try to impress girls...😂

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,784 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Wonder what the outcome was of that meeting?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

Tomhere wrote: »

Ardfert quaries will of course deliver. A pallet of blocks has 44 so you'll need a few.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Pirates Ale

Ardfert quaries will of course deliver. A pallet of blocks has 44 so you'll need a few.
    They would be slow to deliver 3 or 4 bales though, unless they happened to be passing very near.

I hear the Brandon was sold on Thursday ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭LurkingLurker

Does anyone know if there is a skatepark in tralee? Like a small outdoor one?

Does anyone know if there is a skatepark in tralee? Like a small outdoor one?

Not at the moment. There have been plans for one for a long time but nothing seems to come of it. The council is looking for submissions as to what should be done with the old Denny site & a skate park has been mentioned by quite a few people.

Not at the moment. There have been plans for one for a long time but nothing seems to come of it. The council is looking for submissions as to what should be done with the old Denny site & a skate park has been mentioned by quite a few people.

Yeah, but my fave suggestion so far is a museum ! Do it up and have walking tours of how the pigs were killed,! :D
    You couldn't make it up....who the fck wants to see where all the poor bastard pigs were killed.
    "Hey kids, will we go to the aquadome today, or maybe the wetlands"?
    "Nah dad. we wanna go see where they butchered millions of pigs"!
    the gift shop will be selling Denny rashers I guess

I think a farmers market in the old Denny's site would be good too. They could use it for a few things really.

• Advertisement

According to the BTS website (btsfitness.ie) they are relocating & reopening!

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT!

We are relocating and re-opening on 30th September 2016.

There will be classes scheduled for the interim with the venue and time details on our Facebook page from Monday 29th August 2016.

Thank you for your continued support.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭kaiser31

According to the BTS website (btsfitness.ie) they are relocating & reopening!

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT!

We are relocating and re-opening on 30th September 2016.

There will be classes scheduled for the interim with the venue and time details on our Facebook page from Monday 29th August 2016.

Thank you for your continued support.

I wonder will he have equipment? If it's locked into the gym? Mmm, I don't trust it! You wouldn't be locked out of your business because you got a new landlord? i think someone is telling porkies and hasn't being paying his rent for perhaps a year or two (pure speculation of course 😉)

kaiser31 wrote: »
    I wonder will he have equipment? If it's locked into the gym? Mmm, I don't trust it! You wouldn't be locked out of your business because you got a new landlord? i think someone is telling porkies and hasn't being paying his rent for perhaps a year or two (pure speculation of course 😉)

The camper van isn't blocking the front door anymore (passed there today) so he may be able to get his stuff out now.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭thinktwice

I hear the Brandon was sold on Thursday ;)

As in the Brandon Hotel has been sold? :confused:

Ate in No. 4 on the Square Friday evening.

Overall enjoyed it. The service was painfully slow however. We went in, took our seats, got some drinks and the menus. From there we were waiting a solid 30 mins with waiting staff behind the bar talking. Think the problem was that the "boss" gave us the menus and she wasn't going to come back around to take our order.

Eventually we had to ask a waitress if she could take our order. Another couple who were also waiting similarly long, walked out, as did another group of 4 (not because they were waiting for a long time, however)

Anyway, we weren't waiting long for the food. It was really good. I got the steak, cooked nicely, and OH got the fajitas, which were also really good. Dessert was the ice cream with nuts and butterscotch sauce, would be back again even just for this.

Interior is also very nicely decorated. Overall, a solid 8/10.

thinktwice wrote: »
    As in the Brandon Hotel has been sold? :confused:

No, the mountain :D

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭thinktwice

No, the mountain :D

Hilarious Felix Jones is God! I just hadn't heard the hotel was for sale! :p

You can have your say on the Denny's site by doing a survey on their website www.theislandtralee.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Bord Pleanala have given the go ahead for Topaz to build a petrol station next to Aldi on the John Joe Sheehy road. While I'd prefer to see a more interesting business open there (aren't there 4 or 5 other garages in the area??), I'm glad to see the last vacant site on that road being developed.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,784 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

ongarboy wrote: »
    Bord Pleanala have given the go ahead for Topaz to build a petrol station next to Aldi on the John Joe Sheehy road. While I'd prefer to see a more interesting business open there (aren't there 4 or 5 other garages in the area??), I'm glad to see the last vacant site on that road being developed.

It is a rather bizarre decision as it goes against the town and county development plans and the recommendation of ABP's own inspector to reject planning. Joe O'Connor must be spitting fire as he submitted a very robust and well-argued appeal!

It will be the death of the filling station in the Horan Centre anyway and will only add to traffic congestion on JJS Road.

Advertisement