Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,046 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

The Rose of Tralee might get a new lease of life if the expected reorganisation isn't screwed up by people who think they know what they're doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭g1983d

It (the ROT International festival and the ROT Street festival) needs new thinking which would most likely come with new people.

The street festival has new people this year at very short notice so I guess next year may see change, the International festival has the same owners so up to them what happens there

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

Why did they ever get rid of the gig rigs? Surely Guinness et al with declining advertising channels would consider bringing them back.

The Festival programme looks poor enough outside of Saturday night.

http://traleetoday.ie/full-programme-for-feile-tra-li-released/

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,355 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

The Feile TraLi committee had very short notice to get the street entertainment organised, so I guess we couldn't expect too much in the way of bands this year. I think next year we might have something better, if they can get some sponsors on boards and more funding.

I've nothing against the Rose of Tralee, I have always loved it and the Roses. I don't agree with the argument that its 'sexist' or 'insulting to women' etc, as if all women felt that way then there would be no Roses in the first place! I went in for the Kerry rose over 20 years ago. I did it reluctantly at the beginning as I was asked to do it and I was only 23 at the time, in college and felt a bit embarrassed to do it! But I did it and had such a great time. Now this was only the Kerry heat, and I didn't get through, but it was great fun. I didn't feel like I was in a beauty pagent or anything sexist. People take it way too seriously and don't seem to get its just a bit of innocent fun! Why can't people just either watch it or don't watch it, but don't make it into something more serious! Live and let live!

Agree with all that, hopefully the committee can build on this year and the ROT company can get its house in order also.

Re the actual rose selection its been part of the festival for years that some corners of the media or individuals try to tear it down, I cant understand why, if they don't like it don't watch it.

Of late though the detractors are getting louder which is unfortunate

• Advertisement

Was in Iceland yesterday. Three staff at the one till chatting with nothing to do. As well as the freezers the chilled sections are getting noticeably barer. Opening hours have also been reduced. Surely only a matter of time before it goes the way of the dodo. I hope I'm wrong but I doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭traleelad2

Closed today indefinitely. Staff told no money for wages.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,355 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Yeah, I heard that Iceland is gone now. All stores are to close apparently.

Feck that was sudden. I thought things looked grim there Wednesday. Didn't realise it was that immenent.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,693 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

That's the 2 big stores in the centre gone. Not much left to entice you to the Horan centre except a packet of paracetamol in shines

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭cms88

It really is some shitshow the whole thing. Are there any Icelands still open? All of them in Cork closed last week i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭bobdcow

I noticed the Viva Burg building has a SOLD sign on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭traleelad2

Ah there’s a bit more there than that to be fair. Plenty people shop in Dunnes and also the furniture, paint, bathroom and curtain/fabric stores are all well established and busy shops. Also plenty food and drink options too and if your short on toilet paper for all the shite your spewing you can pick that up in total cleaning supplies!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,693 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

I was just thinking the shops in the front. The 2 bigger units are now empty

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭lordleitrim

Radio Kerry saying a major supermarket chain is considering taking over the closed Iceland stores nationwide. My money would be on Tesco opening Express style stores in them maybe. I'd say Dunnes won't be too happy with a competing rival (whomever it is) so close....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,944 ✭✭✭cute geoge

There is no fear of tesco bothering Dunnes up there .I would say Dunnes custom up there has doubled in the last year alone probably pulling some custom from dunnes n.c.r. .It is the ideal shop for everything you need in and out quick with great parking

I heard a while back that Dunnes were considering a move from the horan centre to manor west/east

It appears that Tesco is looking to take over at least some of the stores out of Examinership for its Express brand. Don't know if the Horan Centre would be one of them - its on the small side I reckon, not the best location wise, but at least has the advantage of being right in Dunnes' face to take some turnover off them.

PS I have been in smaller Tesco Expresses' in London & Belfast so it is possible. Just not with the bakery in the Square one.

Post edited by kn on

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,768 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Article about the centre of Town from the Examiner.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/spotlight/arid-41200435.html

• Advertisement

I was reading that today. There's a few errors in it. It says Vila closed, which isn't true, it only just opened opposite Vero Moda!? I thought Hogans decorating store closed this year, not 2022?

It does say that a toy shop that closed is due to be turned into apartments, which I am assuming is Caballs?

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Bailey43

Caballs it is and they will be taking in Old Billy Nolans shop aswell.

Apparently the old Shindig shop next to Shaws is being converted to apartments too as has the old Osborne bar on Edward Street.

I suppose its a good thing to have more residents living in the town centre and goes some way in addressing accommodation shortages but does that erode the town centre's function as a retail and hospitality destination if former shops, bars and restaurants are gradually being removed from the landscape like that? Caballs is made up of about 4 buildings so that's a fair stretch of retail frontage gone for good on Bridge Street. A better mix would be ground floor retail with overhead apartments.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Pirates Ale

That article is very poor really, and trying to link the death of Tom Ross to the decline of the Town centre is total nonsense.

He spent his life inside in such buildings doing that type of work, in good and bad times!

The article that completely ignored Listowel, which has the same problems as the other towns, and is more significant than Ballybunion. The reporter's Garmin must have been on the fritz. 😜

Yeah, I don't know why he had to mention Tom Ross's death in it. Its very badly written.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭bobdcow

It was a terrible article - showing a picture of Quinlans Bar but talking about Quinlans fish shop and only later referencing the bar. What could have been a very good article was just awful to read.

I was reminded today that Manor News in Manor West is now in the Easons stable, but I don't know if it's a franchise (like the one in Listowel) or owned outright by Easons. I think this has been the case for at least two or three weeks but there's been no change to the signage.

I saw what looks like the disassembling of the canopy of the closed down petrol station in the Horan Centre carpark. Are they getting rid of the petrol station for good?

I suppose with Corrib Oil down the road and Kelloil and Circle K at Clash nearby, that end of town is already well covered.

• Advertisement

Advertisement