Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Felix Jones is God

The_Mac wrote: »
    I wouldn't quite call it disgraceful. Plenty of variety once you visit the right pubs. The thing is there's just not that much a demand for craft beer in Tralee.

Well I would, and the choice in 90% of bars is piss poor...a few carry some bits from Dingle (the abbeys own) you get a few carry Red Rebel and Chieftain, you can find Bó on tap in one house that I'm aware of......but if you ask anyone working in an off licence, the desire for the beers is there.....we don't all want schlabs of Bavaria scham :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Well I would, and the choice in 90% of bars is piss poor...

Ok.. But if 90% of beer drinkers only want to order mainstream brands, then you can understand why publicans have to cater for that demand to ensure a profit . If I'm in Roundys sitting at the bar, the barman can spend much of the night saying "Sorry, we don't have Heineken" to unfamiliar customers and tries to recommend a craft equivalent which may or may not be what the customer wants. Craft beer is still too niche to be mainstream. The niche factor is one of Roundys appeals to me however!

ongarboy wrote: »
    Ok.. But if 90% of beer drinkers only want to order mainstream brands, then you can understand why publicans have to cater for that demand to ensure a profit . If I'm in Roundys sitting at the bar, the barman can spend much of the night saying "Sorry, we don't have Heineken" to unfamiliar customers and tries to recommend a craft equivalent which may or may not be what the customer wants. Craft beer is still too niche to be mainstream. The niche factor is one of Roundys appeals to me however!

My point is that craft beers are not niche anymore....and havent been for quite a while
    It's because the major brewers hold sway that micro breweries taps aren't in most bars....but in that case.....fill a small fridge full of a half dozen types of beer and see it go.....if you've ever been to Galway their Hooker beer is the biggest seller.....we have a half dozen local breweries we should be pushing like crazy in town.....it's ridiculous to think otherwise.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,784 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

ongarboy wrote: »

My point is that craft beers are not niche anymore....and havent been for quite a while
    It's because the major brewers hold sway that micro breweries taps aren't in most bars....but in that case.....fill a small fridge full of a half dozen types of beer and see it go.....if you've ever been to Galway their Hooker beer is the biggest seller.....we have a half dozen local breweries we should be pushing like crazy in town.....it's ridiculous to think otherwise.

Not just craft beers either. There's next to zero availability of mainstream continental beers like Hoegaarden, Paulaner, Staropramen etc.

So I'd have to agree that the pubs in Tralee are, in general, pretty ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

Agree 100%, there is no selection in town. Even Roundy's isn't making much of an effort anymore just Torc which isn't great and Bo Bristle which is generally sold out. They also do McGargles but the less said about that the better. The Castle (take a bow Ciarrai) and Supervalu are the only places that have any selection.

I went for a meal in No 4 the square last week and asked the barman what beer they had, he looked at me like I had 3 heads - Heineken, Bud and Carlsberg, what other beers are there?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

xxyyzz wrote: »
    Agree 100%, there is no selection in town. Even Roundy's isn't making much of an effort anymore just Torc which isn't great and Bo Bristle which is generally sold out. They also do McGargles but the less said about that the better. The Castle (take a bow Ciarrai) and Supervalu are the only places that have any selection.

I went for a meal in No 4 the square last week and asked the barman what beer they had, he looked at me like I had 3 heads - Heineken, Bud and Carlsberg, what other beers are there?

The bars are so reluctant to take any craft beer and I canno understand why. They are so afraid to try anything new! Nice big shelving unit just gone into the Castle offy which is almost entirely made up of Irish craft beer & some from the uk. There's also a section just for USA beers & another for Belgian/German etc. Craft beers are a big seller now!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

Because Kerry people still drink just to get sh*tfaced as opposed to just enjoying a beer. Having said that I'm none the better for 5 or 6 pints of Roundy's finest last night :(

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    The bars are so reluctant to take any craft beer and I canno understand why. They are so afraid to try anything new! Nice big shelving unit just gone into the Castle offy which is almost entirely made up of Irish craft beer & some from the uk. There's also a section just for USA beers & another for Belgian/German etc. Craft beers are a big seller now!

I saw that new shelving today as I got a few bottles of dungarven stout. Looks well I must say

xxyyzz wrote: »

I've had Creans in No4....but other than that it's gonna have to be a pina colada from Igor for my alcohol desires :):)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

I've had Creans in No4....but other than that it's gonna have to be a pina colada from Igor for my alcohol desires :):)

Igor is great at cocktails! I haven't had alcohol in so long now that I'm starting to crave a cocktail! lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

No sense of irony from Radio Kerry running a Bons ad after their story about the alleged rape. And the ad's strapline is 'modern healthcare, traditional values'!!

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭phater phagan

Apparently the doctor who allegedly raped the 61 year old woman at the Bons has absconded and left the country. He was employed as a locum diagnostician. That doesn't look good. The woman who has accused him of rape said that she gave him a 10 euro tip after he examined her. I have never heard of anyone giving a doctor a tip before!! Very peculiar!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

Giving tips to doctors is very much a thing with older people especially in rural areas. I had never heard of it until a few years ago but much more common than you'd think.

Apparently there's no homecoming this eve for the victorious Kerry minor team! I can't see why they wouldn't have one for them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 571 ✭✭✭pcuser

Apparently there's no homecoming this eve for the victorious Kerry minor team! I can't see why they wouldn't have one for them!

Thats a disgrace, Those young lads would have worked so hard in training.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

That's shameful, they put on some excellent displays this year. I'm shocked at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭bobdcow

There is a sort of homecoming this evening in Kenmare as the Kerry captain is from there. It's being organised by the club in Kenmare, not the county board - I don't know what time it's on but it was on the radio this morning.

The county board said, according to Radio Kerry that there will be some sort of thing on Oct 2nd when there are county championship games on in Killarney.

Apparently Kieran 'Star' Donaghy will be on the Late Late show in a few weeks! His book is out in October too, hence the promotion!
    Apart from football & him I don't know what his book would be about, or why anyone would be interested! Seems strange but they all seem to do it now I suppose (money talks!).

Apparently Kieran 'Star' Donaghy will be on the Late Late show in a few weeks! His book is out in October too, hence the promotion!
    Apart from football & him I don't know what his book would be about, or why anyone would be interested! Seems strange but they all seem to do it now I suppose (money talks!).

Did he do the colouring-in all by himself?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,526 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Kieran Donaghy is probably the least liked Kerry footballer by Kerry fans, not many outside of Kerry rate him. It says a lot about the Late Late that they even have him as a guest. He must have great PR working for him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

siblers wrote: »
    Kieran Donaghy is probably the least liked Kerry footballer by Kerry fans, not many outside of Kerry rate him. It says a lot about the Late Late that they even have him as a guest. He must have great PR working for him

Someone up there (above us or in RTE!) likes him anyway. I remember Marty Morrissey creaming himself over him during a game where he kept referring to him as Star - it got a bit much and he was told to tone it down at half time.

Fair play to the lad, he has done well for himself at the end of the day, whatever people may think of him.

siblers wrote: »

I don't know about being least liked, I don't have anything against the guy. I have met him a good few times & know his wife, and he's a nice enough guy. He also plays for the Stacks, which is good enough for me! ;)

I just don't personally see the point in him writing an autobiography, or any player for that matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Pirates Ale

I don't know about being least liked, I don't have anything against the guy. I have met him a good few times & know his wife, and he's a nice enough guy. He also plays for the Stacks, which is good enough for me! ;)

I just don't personally see the point in him writing an autobiography, or any player for that matter.

I guess money is a good enough reason!
    He is guaranteed to sell x amount for the Christmas market anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I guess money is a good enough reason!
    He is guaranteed to sell x amount for the Christmas market anyway.

Agreed. These books are always given as presents for someone that you don't know what else to buy them. My friend ended up with 3 copies of the Roy Keane bio for his 40th last year!! :)

I actually spotted Donaghy in Benners at lunchtime during the week. I didn't realise how tall he was! He also seemed to have borrowed Paul Galvin's skinny jeans!!:D

I see that the take-away in Castle st (formerly Soprano's) has changed names, again!! Its now Passion Kebab (classy!). I've lost track how many times its changed names now!?

I see that the take-away in Castle st (formerly Soprano's) has changed names, again!! Its now Passion Kebab (classy!). I've lost track how many times its changed names now!?

It's been passion kebab for a couple of months now :)

It's been passion kebab for a couple of months now :)

ah I see! I don't get out much anymore! lol

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭The_Mac

Something definitely going down in town tonight. Gardaí and special branch were everywhere checking cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

The_Mac wrote: »
    Something definitely going down in town tonight. Gardaí and special branch were everywhere checking cars.

Looking for me I think.......I evaded them......;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

random question, but apart from post office, wheres a few places I can buy stamps?!!

Advertisement