Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

random question, but apart from post office, wheres a few places I can buy stamps?!!

Sweeney's Costcutters in Castle street sell stamps singly, otherwise you can buy books of stamps in Garvey's

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭kev_Makaveli

Are sweeneys part of a muktipack and not for individual resale ...😂

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

GARDAÍ in Tralee are seeking the public’s assistance in tracing the whereabouts of 33 year old Kathryn Broderick who is missing from the town since Sunday, September 18.

Kathryn is described at 5’9″ in height, of medium build and has long sandy coloured hair. Gardaí and Kathryn’s family are concerned for her safety.

Anyone with information is asked to contact Tralee Garda Station on 066 – 7102300 or any Garda Station

http://traleetoday.ie/gardai-seek-publics-help-locating-woman-missing-tralee/

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭thinktwice

GARDAÍ in Tralee are seeking the public’s assistance in tracing the whereabouts of 33 year old Kathryn Broderick who is missing from the town since Sunday, September 18.

Kathryn is described at 5’9″ in height, of medium build and has long sandy coloured hair. Gardaí and Kathryn’s family are concerned for her safety.

Anyone with information is asked to contact Tralee Garda Station on 066 – 7102300 or any Garda Station

http://traleetoday.ie/gardai-seek-publics-help-locating-woman-missing-tralee/

It's her second time going missing since early June. She also has links to Abbeyfeale. The photo released by the guards is very poor quality - if I passed her in the street I don't think I'd recognise her from it. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

The Rose Experience airs on IRISH TV on Thursday September 29 from 8.30pm-10pm. IRISH TV can be viewed on Sky 191; Freesat 400; Free to Air andwww.Irishtv.com

http://traleetoday.ie/irish-tv-air-rose-tralee-festival-thursday/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Clab mor

Does anyone know what the story is with the Facebook page "save Tralee".

There are a number of seriously negative posts directed towards the town and its facilities which in my opinion have an opposite effect to "saving Tralee"

It seems the admin hiding behind the page has taken it upon himself/herself to speak on behalf of Tralee people despite having no official mandate to do so.

What are people opinions on pages like this??

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Clab mor wrote: »
    Does anyone know what the story is with the Facebook page "save Tralee".

There are a number of seriously negative posts directed towards the town and its facilities which in my opinion have an opposite effect to "saving Tralee"

It seems the admin hiding behind the page has taken it upon himself/herself to speak on behalf of Tralee people despite having no official mandate to do so.

What are people opinions on pages like this??

Anyone is entitled to set up a public Facebook page aren't they!? there are a number of business people on a committee behind it, and they did organise public meetings with the council to get a number of issues on the town revamp addressed and changed, which was successful. Not everyone is going to agree with their views, which is fine! Same as here really!
    Not sure how it's being negative towards the town & its facilities though ...

I just read that ShoeZone in bridge street is to close in November with the loss of 8 jobs. Not a shop I ever used to shop in but sad for the staff. Another empty unit for the arcade, which is half empty as it is! Such a waste.

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    Anyone is entitled to set up a public Facebook page aren't they!? there are a number of business people on a committee behind it, and they did organise public meetings with the council to get a number of issues on the town revamp addressed and changed, which was successful. Not everyone is going to agree with their views, which is fine! Same as here really!
    Not sure how it's being negative towards the town & its facilities though ...

A lot of the issues raised are miss-informed.

I appreciate that it's a free world and all that I just think speaking on behalf of people of Tralee without having a mandate i.e. Local councillor or a recognised committee like chamber alliance etc is out of order!

I have no pity for anyone or business objectecting to the works in the town centre!! The time for objections and submissions past and therefore they shouldn't be given any consideration.

You can be sure the number of business people behind it are probably the same fools that objected to the M&S development a number of years ago!!

A lot of the issues raised are miss-informed.

I appreciate that it's a free world and all that I just think speaking on behalf of people of Tralee without having a mandate i.e. Local councillor or a recognised committee like chamber alliance etc is out of order!

I have no pity for anyone or business objectecting to the works in the town centre!! The time for objections and submissions past and therefore they shouldn't be given any consideration.

You can be sure the number of business people behind it are probably the same fools that objected to the M&S development a number of years ago!!

But the objections were dealt with since the deadline passed, the council changed a lot of the concerns raised, which the committee were happy with. I know many business owners (some of whom also part of the save Tralee committee) who didn't object to M&S, including myself! The issues raised for the town centre were valid and they are definitely not against the town upgrades, they will be of great benefit to the town.

• Advertisement

GARDAÍ have located missing woman, Kathryn Broderick, safe and well. Gardaí wish to thank the public for their assistance, no further action required.

Ms Broderick was missing from Tralee since Sunday, September 18 and an appeal was issued yesterday morning by Gardaí as Kathryn’s family were concerned for her safety.

http://traleetoday.ie/gardai-find-woman-missing-tralee-safe-well/

KERRY GAA are to be contacted in relation to, what is effectively, an outdoor Kerry GAA museum at Austin Stack Park.

Sinn Féin Cllr Toireasa Ferris proposed the a motion at the meeting of Tralee Municipal District at Kerry County Council on Monday.

Cllr Ferris said the triangular area of land opposite Austin Stack Park is one of the biggest eyesores for people coming into town and while the walls of Austin Stack Park have been painted, “it is hideous looking”.

She said after Tralee was overlooked in relation to a GAA museum – which is set for Killarney – there is nothing stopping the Council to engage in their own project here in town.

“I have spoken to the property owner of that site and he is favourably disposed to allowing use of the site if we want to do something similar to the roundabout at Manor. We could put up plaques and memorials there and incorporate it with the walls of Austin Stack Park where you would have a wall of fame for hurling and football county senior championship winners and in relation to those who have won All-Ireland championships,” said Cllr Ferris.

She said this would, in effect, be an outdoor GAA museum and people arriving into town would see the connection between the GAA and Tralee.

“It would be obvious to all that this is the capital of the county and it would enhance that side of town,” she said, explaining that it could be done relatively cheaply through councillors allocations. The Council is to contact the Kerry GAA County Board about the matter.

http://traleetoday.ie/wall-fame-suggested-outside-austin-stack-park/

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Pirates Ale

I just read that ShoeZone in bridge street is to close in November with the loss of 8 jobs. Not a shop I ever used to shop in but sad for the staff. Another empty unit for the arcade, which is half empty as it is! Such a waste.
    You could almost see that was going to happen - when those units were for sale a while back, they were advertising the fact that there was a big rental income (it was crazy money iirc) from Shoezone, of course the small print showed that the long term lease was nearly up.
    I'd imagine Shoezone had at that stage informed the landlords they wouldnt be renewing..

But the objections were dealt with since the deadline passed, the council changed a lot of the concerns raised, which the committee were happy with. I know many business owners (some of whom also part of the save Tralee committee) who didn't object to M&S, including myself! The issues raised for the town centre were valid and they are definitely not against the town upgrades, they will be of great benefit to the town.

The issues should have been raised and dealt with during the allocated time when the proposal and plans were made!! The council rolled over too easily to what was essentially mob rule!!

I just think if it's to be a positive thing "save Tralee" is certainly the wrong name for the group?? What exactly does it need saving from??

There are a few posts there about the court house moving which are quite silly and the festival got an all merciful bashing!!

Using social media like that is tasteless, if someone or committee so wishes there are official channels to go about improving ones town!!!

The issues should have been raised and dealt with during the allocated time when the proposal and plans were made!! The council rolled over too easily to what was essentially mob rule!!

I just think if it's to be a positive thing "save Tralee" is certainly the wrong name for the group?? What exactly does it need saving from??

There are a few posts there about the court house moving which are quite silly and the festival got an all merciful bashing!!

Using social media like that is tasteless, if someone or committee so wishes there are official channels to go about improving ones town!!!

The law society in Kerry are opposed to the courthouse move, they are quite right too!
    Not sure why it all bothers you so much! Just don't follow or like the page & you don't have to read all their posts, simples!

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,784 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

The law society in Kerry are opposed to the courthouse move, they are quite right too!
    Not sure why it all bothers you so much! Just don't follow or like the page & you don't have to read all their posts, simples!

The opposition to the courthouse moving from a building that simply isn't up to the task of housing modern court facilities is, quick frankly, beyond ridiculous. On the other hand, opposition to it leaving the town centre has merit.

Fortunately, a most suitable site in the form of the old Denny factory has become available and the council are very willing to engage with the OPW about a new courthouse being part of the redevelopment.

Ultimately though, the decision rests with the OPW and the OPW alone.

While it's simply not suitable as a courthouse in this day and age, the current building is one of the town's architectural gems and what a fantastic venue it would make as a theatre or exhibition space.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭RevBlueJeans

I don't often disagree withe Ciarrai but in this case I think crab mor has a point. I don't know who is behind "save tralee" (the name is a little over the top) but can guess that it is a number of businesses directly impacted by proposed traffic changes in the town. I can see that these big rate payers might want to influence the decision making process. However there are other stakeholders in the future of the town besides businesses. Businesses are often wrong headed when they confuse chronic traffic congestion with "hustle and bustle" and positive trading conditions. I remember when we had a fine pedestrian way in the mall in the 1970's. The traders (mostly elsewhere in the town) vehemently objected and plans to retain the much loved and admired pedestrian way we're shelved. Traders have little or no concern for pedestrians and object to safer wider footpaths to protect their precious on street parking. I don't envy the council when they try to balance often conflicting interests especially when one vested interest is traditionally so powerful.

revbluejeans

• Registered Users Posts: 12,526 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Had a look on the page, it's painful trying to read the posts. Emojis and # in every sentence. It's a terrible name for a Facebook page too.

It bothers me that an un-official group with no mandate from or by the people of Tralee takes it upon themselves to speak on behalf of the town!!

I'm sure that the Irish Wheelchair association would be in favour of a courthouse move to provide better access for those with disabilities??

Just beacuse the law society oppose it doesn't make it wrong or a bad thing for Tralee????

The group seems to focus on issues that are mostly negative with an aim to build up mis informed support on social media!!!

Traders have little or no concern for pedestrians and object to safer wider footpaths to protect their precious on street parking. I don't envy the council when they try to balance often conflicting interests especially when one vested interest is traditionally so powerful.

If I had my way, there'd be absolutely no on-street parking in the centre of town except for disabled, taxis, commercial loading/unloading and some set-down/pickup (15 mins max - strictly enforced!) to facilitate hotels and bulky goods retailers. There's more than adequate off-street parking to cater for everyone else.

Parked cars are an absolute blight on the streetscape and take up valuable space that should be given back to people.

• Advertisement

Quackster wrote: »
    The opposition to the courthouse moving from a building that simply isn't up to the task of housing modern court facilities is, quick frankly, beyond ridiculous. On the other hand, opposition to it leaving the town centre has merit.

Fortunately, a most suitable site in the form of the old Denny factory has become available and the council are very willing to engage with the OPW about a new courthouse being part of the redevelopment.

Ultimately though, the decision rests with the OPW and the OPW alone.

While it's simply not suitable as a courthouse in this day and age, the current building is one of the town's architectural gems and what a fantastic venue it would make as a theatre or exhibition space.

Quiet frankly I'm thinking moving the court house completely out of town to the outskirts might not be a bad idea, certain court days bring a particular element to the town centre that no town in Ireland would like!!!

I agree in principle that yes there are knock on effects to other business however as mentioned a theatre or museum would be a fantastic addition should it ever move!

It's a protected structure so it's not like it's going to be knocked to the ground should the actual court services move!!

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭manoverboards

🌹 #Wow, I also just #had a look at the aforementioned #SaveTralee page on the #FACEBOOK

☪ I also #found it #quite painful to #read

🐵 It would be funny if it wasn't #Rabble #Rousing and #Misguided

🌹 These are the same folks #who were in the #local papers recently #CRYING about #car #parking when #Kerry County Council were trying to #iIMPROVE #Tralee #Town centre #Right ?

♻️ I just #HOPE to #God that they went along to that #Denny event in the #Brandon last week in order #to hear from the #experts how to #save a #town center !

🏛 They CLEARLY have a #Deep love for them #Emojis things :)

☕️ And little understanding #of #how hash tagging works

Quiet frankly I'm thinking moving the court house completely out of town to the outskirts might not be a bad idea, certain court days bring a particular element to the town centre that no town in Ireland would like!!!

I agree in principle that yes there are knock on effects to other business however as mentioned a theatre or museum would be a fantastic addition should it ever move!

It's a protected structure so it's not like it's going to be knocked to the ground should the actual court services move!!

For various reasons it's considered best practice to keep civic facilities in an urban centre rather than scattering them around in a fragmented manner.

I know the local gardai are very opposed to moving the garda station to Ballymullen too and are instead seeking for the station to be redeveloped on its current site - something I think no-one would disagree with.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭RevBlueJeans

It's a facade shell. The core of the building was rebuilt in the 70's.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭manoverboards

Surly if the main issue is that the building can't housing modern court facilities, it can be gutted and rebuilt in as state of the art facility. I presume the only listed part is the exterior wall. If it's an issue with access, which I imagine there is with wheelchairs and the steps there are 2 ground level entrances with could be made use of.

Quackster wrote: »

Surly if the main issue is that the building can't housing modern court facilities, it can be gutted and rebuilt in as state of the art facility. I presume the only listed part is the exterior wall. If it's an issue with access, which I imagine there is with wheelchairs and the steps there are 2 ground level entrances with could be made use of.

The site is pretty tight and having to build within the confines of an existing protected structure impose significant limitations that don't exist when you're building a new purpose-designed structure from the ground up.

Anyway, the OPW in its wisdom has ruled out upgrading the current structure as a viable option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Felix Jones is God

The Gardai were all for the proposed new site in the late 90's - 00's that was meant to be built in the area of the aquadome.
    Don't think there is much room to develop their existing site .. . . would it not be delicious irony for them to build on the Denny's site?
    :D

The retail units in manor which house Topaz, fine wines, Seamus o'Sullivans butchers etc is up for sale!
    http://traleetoday.ie/multi-milion-euro-retail-centre-manor-west-going-hammer/

Here's the reason for all the cones & reduced lanes at Ballygarry roundabout
    http://traleetoday.ie/heres-reason-traffic-delays-roundabout-near-ballygarry/

• Advertisement

I hear that there are still a lot of members of BTS who Are still having membership fees being taken despite it being closed. Apparently a finance company in the uk are who do deal with it and members are being advised to contact them
    cfmadmin@harlandsgroup.co.uk is the email address if anyone needs it.

Shouldn't the banks be able to cancel the direct debit? I also read that some people who paid by card upfront (€500!!) are now stung too. Would the credit card company be able to do something there? Aren't they covered under consumer law? Awful to see so many people get stung for this. Especially after very recently taking up the special offer they had! No updates on his plan to open by the end of September!

Advertisement