Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Felix Jones is God

kn wrote: »
    National Transportation Authority are recommending the elimination of the direct Tralee-Dublin rail service with all services changing at Mallow. In return they are proposing that the number of services be increased to an hourly from a 2 hourly service. IF they do move to the hourly service then I would support the elimination of the direct service. I did often wonder about the economics and safety of the long train direct service on the Tralee-Mallow leg.

http://www.radiokerry.ie/news/2016-rail-review-recommends-dropping-direct-kerry-dublin-routes/

There's a reason I get the direct train...because of that wait at Mallow, anywhere between 25 -45 minutes in a horrific station that numbs both your mind, and your arse with the cold.
    If they get the wait down to 10 minutes, sure , go for it, but otherwise no way.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,784 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

There's a reason I get the direct train...because of that wait at Mallow, anywhere between 25 -45 minutes in a horrific station that numbs both your mind, and your arse with the cold.
    If they get the wait down to 10 minutes, sure , go for it, but otherwise no way.

I travel the Tralee/Dublin route nearly every week and always on trains where I have to change at Mallow. The wait is typically of the order of 10 minutes and when travelling Dublin-Tralee the connecting train is already there so there's no waiting on the platform.

Yes, when travelling Tralee-Dublin you're waiting for the train to arrive from Cork but there is a waiting room in the station building where you can escape the elements if you really want to. They should have shelters on platform 3 like they do at Limerick Junction though.

The wait is never anywhere near 45 minutes unless the train from Tralee is running over 15 minutes late and the connecting train from Cork doesn't wait around so you have to travel on the next train from Cork an hour later. Needless to say, this doesn't happen very often.

I must have been very unlucky for 8 years :D
    I guess it depends on what way the trains are running, if youre waiting for a connection from Limerick it can be a hell of a wait , hadn't done the trip in 4 months and had to do it 3 times in one week, 15 mins walk the shortest wait, 40-45 was the longest. The only way in my experience that you get directly off one train, and into the other is when youre on the Dublin train and youre disembarking to get on the train to Tralee.

I don't think anybody uses the the waiting room, it's worse than useless as you could realistically miss the train if youre not on the ball

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭phater phagan

I take that train quite often, and I've never had to wait more than 10 or 15 minutes at Mallow.
    On a different theme, I'm always amused that the announcements on the Mallow to Tralee train ask the passengers not to put their feet on seats, and that they can complain of anti-social behaviour to the staff. The Cork to Dublin train doesn't have those announcements. Some people ignore the feet on seats request and I've only seen one case of offensive behaviour on the Tralee train in many years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

I think this coffee company are taking over the Streat in Manor

https://www.facebook.com/TheBookshelfCoffeeHouse

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Nice aerial shot of the new Lidl under construction on Edward Street.

http://www.monami.ie/wp-content/uploads/IMG_5597-e1478706810282.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

ongarboy wrote: »
    Nice aerial shot of the new Lidl under construction on Edward Street.

http://www.monami.ie/wp-content/uploads/IMG_5597-e1478706810282.jpg

Can't imagine how bad the traffic is going to get around that area, especially Edward Street!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    Can't imagine how bad the traffic is going to get around that area, especially Edward Street!

I've always found Edward St to be uniquely very light on the traffic score.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

I've always found Edward St to be uniquely very light on the traffic score.

But it's very narrow and it's going to be difficult with a lot of traffic. Then there's trying to get in & out of JJ Sheehy rd from slatts carpark, which is already a pain!

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Pirates Ale

But it's very narrow and it's going to be difficult with a lot of traffic. Then there's trying to get in & out of JJ Sheehy rd from slatts carpark, which is already a pain!

And the new shop/service station beside Aldi will add some more traffic.
    Still though, its great to see these pieces off waste ground being used again.

• Advertisement

The access from Daly's Lane will be an entrance only. All traffic will exit onto Edward Street.

The parking that was along the eastern side of Edward Street from JJS Road to McCowan's Lane will be permanently removed to allow the provision of a right-turn lane into Lidl.

I don't forsee there being any significant change in traffic movements.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

Broadband by Vodafone down again.Good few outages all over the country.Disaster!!

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭sudaltsov

Screw VF.........

Seems the problem is actually based in the UK, to do with the blocks and theirs could be faulty, could be an
    issue for a long time yet

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭amadain

Quackster wrote: »
    The access from Daly's Lane will be an entrance only. All traffic will exit onto Edward Street....I don't forsee there being any significant change in traffic movements.

Where is "Daly's Lane" ? tia.

Will the new two way traffic system in Denny St increase traffic flow in Edward St. ?

National Transportation Authority are recommending the elimination of the direct Tralee-Dublin rail service with all services changing at Mallow. In return they are proposing that the number of services be increased to an hourly from a 2 hourly service. IF they do move to the hourly service then I would support the elimination of the direct service. I did often wonder about the economics and safety of the long train direct service on the Tralee-Mallow leg.

Absolute NO NO, and more importantly it's not a bargaining issue in return for gaining something else.

YES, increase the services to Mallow HOURLY !

In time I foresee that imho the 'hourly' service would be trimmed back - due to various made up reasons like passenger volume at certain times, economics, etc, etc.

Nothing better than getting on a train/plane/car and arriving at your destination undisturbed !

amadain wrote: »
    Where is "Daly's Lane" ? tia.

Will the new two way traffic system in Denny St increase traffic flow in Edward St. ?

Dalys lane is the proper name for what we refer to as Slatts lane

Absolute NO NO, and more importantly it's not a bargaining issue in return for gaining something else.

YES, increase the services to Mallow HOURLY !

In time I foresee that imho the 'hourly' service would be trimmed back - due to various made up reasons like passenger volume at certain times, economics, etc, etc.

Nothing better than getting on a train/plane/car and arriving at your destination undisturbed !

There are seven/eight services each way a day and only one of them each way is a direct service. The idea of eliminating direct Tralee (and Limerick) to Dublin services is that it allows a much more efficient use of the Cork/Dublin mainline with an increased frequency of service for everyone.

The biggest problem with an hourly Mallow/Tralee service is that each train would have to pass two trains coming against it on the way and the only passing loops are at the stations (minus Millstreet considering it has only one platform) so timetabling would be tight and there'd be a considerable risk of one late-running train throwing the rest of the day's services awry.

I don't think it should have a significant impact as traffic from Denny St to Edward St will most likely mainly be traffic that currently travels Prince's St > The Mall > Edward St.

• Advertisement

TY.

The access (to the new Lidl) from Daly's Lane (Slatts Carpark) will be an entrance only, and the ONLY traffic exit from the new Lidl will be onto Edward St.

Will they open any pedestrian (or Traffic) access from Walpole's or Sullivan Lanes ? They should imho.

Will they open any pedestrian (or Traffic) access from Walpole's or Sullivan Lanes ? They should imho.

A pedestrian access to Sullivan's Lane is one of the conditions of planning.

...allows a much more efficient use of the Cork/Dublin mainline with an increased frequency of service for everyone.

The biggest problem with an hourly Mallow/Tralee service is that each train would have to pass two trains coming against it on the way and the only passing loops are at the stations (minus Millstreet considering it has only one platform) so timetabling would be tight and there'd be a considerable risk of one late-running train throwing the rest of the day's services awry.

Can we take it from your reply that an Hourly Service is NOT possible ?

...and that in fact the NTA offer is just a patronising political allegory.

("in return they are proposing that the number of services be increased to an hourly from a 2 hourly service").

'You can fool all the people some of the time, and some of the people all the time, but you cannot fool all the people all the time' - Abraham Lincoln.

A pedestrian access to Sullivan's Lane is one of the conditions of planning.

Any common sense reason why it's not also a traffic access (exit only even) ?

Any common sense reason why it's not also a traffic access (exit only even) ?

It wouldn't wash with planners opening a vehicular access onto a cul-de-sac lane that currently has virtually no traffic. It would be one thing if there was an existing access (seems there once was but it was likely bricked up decades ago) but not in this case.

Also, even if they did get the consent of planners, there would likely be multiple objections.

And Lidl themselves in their planning application were of the view they don't have direct access to the public road at Sullivan's Lane (part of the lane may be in private ownership) which would prevent them from providing any access without third party consent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

That's going to make turning in out onto where the train station entrance is very interesting as traffic at the lights often back up that far.

That's going to make turning in out onto where the train station entrance is very interesting as traffic at the lights often back up that far.

That's what I thought. Plus Turning right from Edward st onto JJ Sheehy rd can be really hard as there's no feeder light.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭bobdcow

It can go back to Aldi at times, it's crazy at peak times

bobdcow wrote: »
    It can go back to Aldi at times, it's crazy at peak times

And getting out of Aldi can be really hard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Pirates Ale

And getting out of Aldi can be really hard.

Turning right out of aldi is tricky even at quiet times, the cars from the train station side appear around the bend sharpish!

Advertisement