Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Turning right out of aldi is tricky even at quiet times, the cars from the train station side appear around the bend sharpish!

Yeah, its a bit of a blind spot.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

kn wrote: »
    That's going to make turning in out onto where the train station entrance is very interesting as traffic at the lights often back up that far.

I don't really see why. The only traffic accessing Lidl from the JJS Rd end of Daly's Lane ought to be traffic coming from the far end of JJS Rd which will just have to queue if the traffic at the lights is backed up beyond the left turn into Daly's Lane. And this traffic could instead not turn on to JJS Rd in the first place but rather access Lidl from the Castle St end of Daly's Lane.

Traffic coming from Oakpark or NCR Rd will access Lidl from Edward St (the primary access) as that will be the sensible thing to do.

And remember, ALL traffic will exit at Edward St.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭TigerTim

Quackster wrote: »
    A pedestrian access to Sullivan's Lane is one of the conditions of planning.

Is Sullivan's lane the one with the large Guinness mural?.

T.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Felix Jones is God

TigerTim wrote: »
    Is Sullivan's lane the one with the large Guinness mural?.

T.

That's the one

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

That's the one

Is that back wall being knocked to make it pedestrianised?

• Advertisement

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    Is that back wall being knocked to make it pedestrianised?

It's to be a gated entrance, locked at night, so I'd say they'll knock a hole in the wall rather than knock the whole wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

That will really open up Boherbee area to Edward Street/train station/Oakpark for pedestrians regardless of whether you will be a Lidl shopper or not. I don't think I've ever used or heard of some of these lanes before reading the Lidl application (Daly's, Sullivan's, Walpole, McCowen's etc). Anything to inject life into them is a positive for the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

ongarboy wrote: »
    That will really open up Boherbee area to Edward Street/train station/Oakpark for pedestrians regardless of whether you will be a Lidl shopper or not. I don't think I've ever used or heard of some of these lanes before reading the Lidl application (Daly's, Sullivan's, Walpole, McCowen's etc). Anything to inject life into them is a positive for the town.

It would certainly become a new handy pedestrian access from Edward St to Moyderwell.

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Quaderno

(click images to enlarge)

402142.jpg

402160.jpg

Council making the road outside Munster Bar in Ballymullen one way only so you can no longer turn right coming from Manor/Killorglin Road onto that stretch of road. You'll have to access it via turning right at the Fels Point roundabout. I wasn't aware of that particular stretch of road being a hazard or such a big traffic generator if I'm honest. Traffic lights at Fairies Cross is surely a far more pressing requirement for pedestrian and motorist safety?

http://www.radiokerry.ie/news/tralee-road-to-be-made-one-way-to-improve-safety/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

The Dubs are coming to town next March

THE support of the Tralee business community towards the redevelopment of Austin Stack Park has reaped rich dividends with the confirmation that both this year’s All Ireland Finalists, Dublin and Mayo, will play their 2017 Allianz Football League matches in Austin Stack Park.

The new development and state of the art floodlighting is the key factor behind both fixtures being allocated the primary Saturday night slots – Mayo on February 11th (7pm) and the Dubs on March 18th (7pm) – the latter setting up a bumper St Patrick’s weekend for Tralee. It’s guaranteed to result in football fans staying overnight in the town for the games.

The President of Tralee Chamber Alliance, John Drummey, said: “We hugely welcome this very positive news which will bring a strong off-season boost to Tralee. We need to work together to attract as many Dublin and Mayo supporters as possible to book accommodation, dine in our restaurants and enjoy a warm welcome in Tralee’s many pubs.”

The Austin Stack Park Redevelopment Finance Committee were instrumental in securing the fixtures, demonstrating how collaboration between business (represented by Tralee Chamber Alliance) and the GAA can work for everyone’s benefit.

The Committee, comprised of Liam Lynch, John Drummey (President TCA) and Aidan O’Connor representing the town and Tony O’Keeffe, John Joe Carroll and Eamonn O’Sullivan from the GAA launched an innovative ticket scheme in 2015, which raised €250,000 in two days – almost exclusively from Tralee businesses, including the Tralee Hotel Alliance.

The redevelopment of Austin Stack Park, which will eventually cost almost one million euro, has already shown that it is a significant positive for the local economy and will continue to do so long into the future with many similar fixtures on the cards.

http://traleetoday.ie/tralee-business-welcomes-saturday-night-football-
    austin-stack-park/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

Not so much Tralee chit-chat but it looks like there is a serious manhunt happening outside of Castleisland tonight. Lots of squad cars and the Shannon helicopter focusing the spotlight on a certain area North-East of the town. There's lots of forestry that direction...Hope they get who they're looking for.

Not so much Tralee chit-chat but it looks like there is a serious manhunt happening outside of Castleisland tonight. Lots of squad cars and the Shannon helicopter focusing the spotlight on a certain area North-East of the town. There's lots of forestry that direction...Hope they get who they're looking for.

Santa?

Someone stealing trees? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

Aren't we all comedians tonight!...

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭phater phagan

The tree Amigos - yes comedy is much more palatable than something we have no control over.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭JonathonS

Council making the road outside Munster Bar in Ballymullen one way only so you can no longer turn right coming from Manor/Killorglin Road

That's the route I take, but to be fair if I was living on Ballymullen Rd I would be fed up with cars constantly passing when there was an alternative route just metres away.
    It will also reduce the chances of an accident with customers staggering out of the Munster.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭hanamandiol

Council making the road outside Munster Bar in Ballymullen one way only so you can no longer turn right coming from Manor/Killorglin Road onto that stretch of road. You'll have to access it via turning right at the Fels Point roundabout. I wasn't aware of that particular stretch of road being a hazard or such a big traffic generator if I'm honest. Traffic lights at Fairies Cross is surely a far more pressing requirement for pedestrian and motorist safety?

http://www.radiokerry.ie/news/tralee-road-to-be-made-one-way-to-improve-safety/

Agree strongly with both of your polnts of view

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Johnnyq79

Need a circular porcelain plague made up. It will have a picture and writing on it. It's for a house name. Any place in tralee that would do it?

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭manoverboards

Christie Hennessy must have been one hell of a Mickey Harte fan !

• Advertisement

Latest on the old Dennys site

KERRY County Council has published a summary of the findings of almost 800 submissions which were received from members of the public in relation to the future use of the former Denny Bacon Factory in Tralee town centre.

Over a period of six weeks, the Council engaged in a non-statutory and informal public consultation process to establish the views of people in relation to what should become of the 2.3 acre site at the Island of Geese which was gifted to the people of Tralee by Kerry Group in 2014.

Almost one third of a total of 766 respondents suggested a mixed use for the site and when that broad range of proposals was categorised along with all the other proposals specifying one use, the following is the breakdown of preferences for the use of the site:

· Arts/Culture 20.80%

· Social/Community 20.66%

· Public Amenity Space 18.28%

· Sports/Recreation 15.54%

· Retail 10.86%

· Tourism 9.37%

· Residential 2.76%

· Office Space 1.74%

In the further comments section of survey responses received, 21% of all respondents said they would like to see the area or part of it used as a farmers’ market/food market similar to the English Market in Cork or the Milk Market in Limerick while almost 7% of respondents proposed a skate park for the site.

Of a full total of 766 submissions, 605 responses were received through the ‘Share My Idea’ forms online at www.theislandtralee.ie and in hard copy; there were 69 written submissions; and 92 submissions made at workshops which were held in Tralee on 21 September.

All of the submissions have been collated and categorised by the Planning Section of Kerry County Council.

Mayor of Tralee, Cllr Terry O’Brien said the level of engagement in the consultation process was unprecedented and provides a useful consultation template for the future: “A project like this would normally just proceed through planning and statutory processes without any widespread consultation. But Kerry County Council was always conscious of the fact that this site was gifted to the people of Tralee and we wanted them to have their say.

“While all the proposals that have emerged through the ‘Share My Idea’ process are unlikely to be fully accommodated within the Island of Geese site, they remain valid and will be considered in the context of the wider development of the Tralee Town Centre West development and the wider town itself.

“The next step will be the appointment of experts to draw up a master-plan for the area and I hope that the content of these submissions will be closely considered in laying out what will become of this wonderful and iconic location,” said Cllr O’Brien.

http://traleetoday.ie/range-ideas-public-use-former-denny-plant/

What a clusterfck

It's probably not making as big a splash as it should, but congrats to Tralee's Shona Heaslip who won the womens national cross country title yesterday at just 22 years of age, beat a few Olympians to the title too!

2 Storey! I cannot see how this branch will have less staff than the Castlemain Rd one though. The Mitchells area will be spoilt for shopping choice when this opens.

kn wrote: »
    2 Storey! I cannot see how this branch will have less staff than the Castlemaine Rd one though. The Mitchells area will be spoilt for shopping choice when this opens.

Staff facilities upstairs. Most of the building is single story.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭conor222

Hey there, I'll be staying outside tralee over Christmas and wondering if anyone knew any taxis that'll be working on Christmas day? It'd be from ardfert to killflynn and back later that night (sorry if I'm posting in the wrong place)
    Thanks!

conor222 wrote: »
    Hey there, I'll be staying outside tralee over Christmas and wondering if anyone knew any taxis that'll be working on Christmas day? It'd be from ardfert to killflynn and back later that night (sorry if I'm posting in the wrong place)
    Thanks!

I'd imagine Speedy Cabs will be running Christmas Day. Call and find out.

https://www.goldenpages.ie/speedy-cabs-tralee/

conor222 wrote: »
    Thanks!

Quite a few taxis wrk Christmas Day. I only have one number to hand though 24/7 Cabs 066-7124247

• Advertisement

Someone stealing trees? :D

Maybe its still a week early but a certain location in Tralee as of yet does not have its annual Christmas tree pitch.

Advertisement