Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Felix Jones is God

Sully34 wrote: »
    How come everybody picked up on the skateboarding thing and nobody even bothered to mention the whole heroin problem

And you see folks that's why we have a problem

Skateboarding is evil... Heroin I can live with

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Sully34

kerryked wrote: »
    I think Felix is right re the skateboard park idea. Imo, it's a very American idea, wouldn't really work in Tralee. In my experience the majority of teenagers in Tralee don't 'skate', they'd probably laugh at the idea and use it as a space to drink cans wit da bais.

Think the powers that be need to be more in tune with young people rather than just throwing out the 'skateboard park' idea all the time.

Are Horan's opening a new store where Vodafone was or relocating one of the existing stores?

As far as I know it's going to be another shop

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Sully34

Skateboarding is evil... Heroin I can live with

Not fond of the little bastards meself to be honest but wouldn't wish a dirty needle on them either

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

Yerrah lads cop on to yourselves, you provide facilities and they will be used, a skatepark is just one example of this and cost eff all in the greater scheme of things. It's better than having teenagers hanging around the playground in the park which intimidates the younger kids it was built for. There is one on the quays in Limerick and its a great facility. Not every teenager wants to play gah, it's good to provide them with options.

Same teenagers will still be hanging around the playground in the park, they're skangers not skaters dude...

• Advertisement

Same teenagers will still be hanging around the playground in the park, they're skangers not skaters dude...

They're not, you know. As a parent of a 3yo, I go in there on weekends with my lad and they're grand but just shouldn't be in there arsing around on the swings etc.

The square is where the skangers seem to hang around, there's not much you can do with them admittedly.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Pirates Ale

I have a 15 year old nephew and was surprised when he told me got a BMX for Christmas! Apparently there is a skate/bmx park near where he lives (Waterford) and he and his friends use it a regularly.
    I think some sort of facility like that could only be a good thing for Tralee.

xxyyzz wrote: »
    They're not, you know. As a parent of a 3yo, I go in there on weekends with my lad and they're grand but just shouldn't be in there arsing around on the swings etc.

The square is where the skangers seem to hang around, there's not much you can do with them admittedly.

They are you know, if you took any notice of the playground surface having to be replaced due to fires being lit and the zipline being vandalised
    Also if you read back thru this thread there was an adult beaten up down there by a group of "potential skateboarders"

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭The_Mac

They are you know, if you took any notice of the playground surface having to be replaced due to fires being lit and the zipline being vandalised
    Also if you read back thru this thread there was an adult beaten up down there by a group of "potential skateboarders"

Oh no not the Potential Skateboarders gang. They're crafty bastards they are.

How can someone be a "potential skateboarder"? It's like looking at a lad with head head down and hood up in a big coat and saying he might be a "potential heroin addict"

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

I was in Westport in May last year and they have a fantastic skateboard park, with other outdoor activities including outdoor gym equipment! I saw no loitering or skangers hanging out. It was being used for exactly it's purpose and looked very well looked after.

• Advertisement

Well there's security cameras there now and I've never seen any issues there. I'm still not sure why this is a not reason to provide facilities to teenagers. When I was a teenager back in the dark ages at least there was the superbowl to hang around in for a few hours on a Saturday. They don't even have that now.

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    I was in Westport in May last year and they have a fantastic skateboard park, with other outdoor activities including outdoor gym equipment! I saw no loitering or skangers hanging out. It was being used for exactly it's purpose and looked very well looked after.

Exactly, I'm not quite sure how this is a bad thing.

xxyyzz wrote: »
    Exactly, I'm not quite sure how this is a bad thing.

It's not a bad thing...It's just not the best use of monies. Thankfully, it seems that the Dennys site can't be used for this anyway due to the terms that have been set out for its development

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

The Denny site should first and foremost be relatively high rise for Tralee. With a couple of hundred apartments or more. What happens at ground level is another matter.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,779 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Totally agree that the Denny site is not an appropriate location for a skateboard park but a skateboard park really should be provided. Yes, it's a niche but it's a sufficiently significant niche to be catered for.

I would say climbing is more of a niche but a climbing wall has been installed in the Wetlands (and rightly so). The more of these recreational facilities, the better.

Quackster wrote: »
    Totally agree that the Denny site is not an appropriate location for a skateboard park but a skateboard park really should be provided. Yes, it's a niche but it's a sufficiently significant niche to be catered for.

I would say climbing is more of a niche but a climbing wall has been installed in the Wetlands (and rightly so). The more of these recreational facilities, the better.

The wetlands provided the climbing wall though?
    I don't see the point in building a skate park, I'm sorry, perhaps look at an existing property and convert it, but I'd be against any huge outlay of council monies on this ....For what it's worth, I only know 2 skateboarders and neither of them have been lobbying for this new park...Who is leading the call for it do we know ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 stickyface

Hello, looking for gym recommendations in Tralee? Preferably with classes included. I'm a total beginner so nothing too intimidating!

stickyface wrote: »
    Hello, looking for gym recommendations in Tralee? Preferably with classes included. I'm a total beginner so nothing too intimidating!

Depends what you want really, Leonard Foley does classes and a lot of people say good things about him
    White Panther gym do tae bo and exercise class's for beginners too
    Hercules gym gets some mentions on here too

• Registered Users Posts: 6 stickyface

Depends what you want really, Leonard Foley does classes and a lot of people say good things about him
    White Panther gym do tae bo and exercise class's for beginners too
    Hercules gym gets some mentions on here too

Thanks for reply. Looking for ways to improve my overall fitness levels really, don't need to lose weight, more so build up my endurance and stamina. I work late some evenings so I find it difficult to commit to a block of classes, but I'll look into Leonard Foley, hadn't heard of him (Tralee newbie!)

Well both he and the white panther do mixed gender classes, so your can go at your own pace ....For a while ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Hercules gym in Monavalley is meant to be great. They dont run classes, but they have a good few personal trainers working out of there. There's a lot more fitness classes & personal trainers In town now than ever before. Plenty of choice. The Brandon, sports complex & Manor west gym all have classes included in membership.

I'm in process of mentally gearing myself up to go back training after having a baby 6 months ago!! Trying to decide where I want to go or go back to the class I used to go to.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭bizidea

Hi just wondering if anyone here would know of any house or apartment to rent in or near Tralee will be working down there for the next ten to twelve weeks and finding it very hard to get accomodation

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

bizidea wrote: »
    Hi just wondering if anyone here would know of any house or apartment to rent in or near Tralee will be working down there for the next ten to twelve weeks and finding it very hard to get accomodation

Not sure if landlords would offer such short term lets especially if the market is so buoyant. As it's off season for tourism, maybe you could negotiate a reduced rate with a B&B owner? Maybe suggest excluding breakfast to get the price down as who wants a full irish fry 7 mornings a week? Also check Airbnb.

No one seems to be interested in the short term let's alright. rang a few bandbs but they don't seem too interested either tried to get rates with no breakfast

No one seems to be interested in the short term let's alright. rang a few bandbs but they don't seem too interested either tried to get rates with no breakfast

There's a very big shortage of places to let in Tralee at the moment. It would be pretty hard to get a short term let as most don't do shorter than 6 months. You could chance somewhere like Sean Mhuileann near the train station or Tralee town centre apartments http://www.ttca.ie
    You might be lucky.

All tried and every estate agent tried thought there would be no problem around Tralee thought there would be a lot of empty holiday homes around tralee

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

All tried and every estate agent tried thought there would be no problem around Tralee thought there would be a lot of empty holiday homes around tralee

Tralee Holiday Lodge would do a short-term arrangement. Ask for the owner 'Matt' and will definitely do a deal with you.

http://www.traleeholidaylodge.com/contact.php

Thought this might be of interest to some.

Tralee Blood Donor Clinics for week commencing 23rd JANUARY 2017

Tralee, The Brandon Hotel, Monday, 23rd January 2017, 5pm – 8.30pm
    Tralee, The Brandon Hotel, Tuesday, 24th January 2017, 3pm – 5pm & 7pm – 9pm
    Tralee, The Brandon Hotel, Wednesday, 25th January 2017, 3pm – 5pm & 7pm – 9pm
    Tralee, The Brandon Hotel, Thursday, 26th January 2017, 3pm – 5pm & 7pm – 9pm

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭jousting with chairs

You could try here,

http://www.whitehousetralee.com/

The pub is closed down atm but the accommodation is still going AFAIK.

• Advertisement

You could try here,

http://www.whitehousetralee.com/

The pub is closed down atm but the accommodation is still going AFAIK.

Yes I forgot about that place. They are able to take short term bookings & you don't get a breakfast as far as I know. There is parking right next to it, but you have to pay.

Advertisement