Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭murdig

kn wrote: »
    Wow. The Town really needed another coffee shop......

The one in town does brilliantly, will be interesting to see if they can recreate that success in manor.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,779 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

murdig wrote: »
    The one in town does brilliantly, will be interesting to see if they can recreate that success in manor.

Yeah, no shortage of gullible people willing to pay any price for a coffee, just to buy into a brand!

At least we haven't been invaded by Starbucks. Yet.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Quackster wrote: »
    Yeah, no shortage of gullible people willing to pay any price for a coffee, just to buy into a brand!

At least we haven't been invaded by Starbucks. Yet.

I happen to like their coffee, so I must be very gullible, or I can just choose where I Want to eat & drink, just as you can!

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    I happen to like their coffee, so I must be very gullible, or I can just choose where I Want to eat & drink, just as you can!

Nothing wrong with their coffee but nothing special about it either. Each to their own I guess.

At least they're paying good rates to the council for a premises that size! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭Wang Kerr

One of their neighbours will be pulling out and moving to Manor too in the very near future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Just spotted the baby with the pint viral post today also included a clip from Tralee in 1997 at the start. Recognise anyone??

http://www.rte.ie/archives/2017/0202/849582-scarcity-of-single-women-in-kerry/

Wang Kerr wrote: »
    One of their neighbours will be pulling out and moving to Manor too in the very near future.

Is there room in Manor for anything else?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,092 ✭✭✭✭beertons

ongarboy wrote: »
    Costa Coffee to open a second outlet in Tralee at Manor West SC in a new unit to be built next to Carpetright. Planning permission for the cafe has been submitted to the council with a decision due in April.

They're doing that up my way too. A second shop being built in the car park of a retail park beside the big ball. They'll do well, because the parking is free. I had a coffee there once, never again.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

I was up in Manor yesterday but I can't quite figure out where beside carpetrite it's planning to go? I noticed a bit of extra space just before the pedestrian crossing, is it there?

Just spotted the baby with the pint viral post today also included a clip from Tralee in 1997 at the start. Recognise anyone??

I was in college in the RTC then so I recognised a couple of people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

There was bit on the 9 o clock news tonight about it

I wasn't up in Manor yesterday but I can't quite figure out where beside carpetrite it's planning to go? I noticed a bit of extra space just before the pedestrian crossing, is it there?

Yes, I came across the planning doc on the council website. It's that space between the pedestrian crossing and the gable end of Carpetright according to the details. It will be a brand new building.

Someone started a thread in After Hours a few days ago about it too

Yes, I came across the planning doc on the council website. It's that space between the pedestrian crossing and the gable end of Carpetright according to the details. It will be a brand new building.

Ah right. I was wondering as there are trees & plants etc there. I guess they will remove it all.

Was there not talk a while back about the old Randles until being leased & something going in there? No sign of anything happening so maybe it fell through?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

Yeah. Donie Jones standing outside the pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Sully34

I see planning permission has been granted to build a four bedroom house between the chalets and piebald sanctuary on the canal

"If you build it they will come"

Sully34 wrote: »
    I see planning permission has been granted to build a four bedroom house between the chalets and piebald sanctuary on the canal

The only thing I will say is....That since the council became proactive in spreading traveller families around town, and not having them condensed in one area, the issue of feuds and instances of armed battles has fallen away to nothing

I see there's a new holistic Therapy centre opening in Boherbee.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭CiarraiAbu2

Sully34 wrote: »

Should that whole place not be converted into one big park and link it into the wetlands and the canal.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭CiarraiAbu2

Can't see the planning online

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭fuerte1976

Dunno how planning is being granted there.. After all, the old dump is very close if not underneath it...

Lidl is opening tomorrow in Edward street. They did a nice job of the front of it, it makes the street look well. I got a leaflet in the door this morning which has some weekly €10 off vouchers on it.

I still think the traffic will be crazy around there once it's open! They badly need a feeder light at that Edward street/JJ Sheehy junction, when turning right from Edward st there's no feeder light, whereas there is on the other lights. It's really hard to turn & ive seen a few near misses with people taking a chance! Plus do we really need another supermarket in town, let alone two of each!?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

UP to 20 new jobs will be created this week when the new Lidl supermarket opens at its Edward Street site this Thursday.

The building is complete and they’re stocking the store at the old Heiton Buckley site, with the finishing touches to some landscaping and paving work taking place before the opening.

Their second store in Tralee – the other Lidl is located on the Castlemaine Road – will result in an investment of approximately €6.5million in the area.

Between 15 and 20 new positions will be created while their current store will retain its 23 staff. This is the German supermarket giant’s 150th store in Ireland.

The outlet is almost 2,800 square metres over two floors and will have 131 car parking spaces and 27 spaces for bicycles

http://traleetoday.ie/20-jobs-created-new-lidl-opens-thursday/

Plus do we really need another supermarket in town, let alone two of each!?

I guess they've done their market research to say Tralee can support another supermarket. I think another reason supermarkets do so well is the decline of the corner shop. When I grew up in 70s/80s there was just a small Dunnes on Bridge St and an even smaller Quinnsworth in the Square where Carphone Warehouse is yet my street (Strand Road) had 8 grocery shops between Knockmoyle and High St but only 2 remain.

Shop across from Caherina Cottages (now closed)
    Renees (now Morans)
    OSullivans Walshs Terrace (closed)
    Mays (still open as Bons shop)
    Millers/Moriartys (now a TV install/repair shop)
    Nammocks ORahilly Villas (closed)
    Shop next to Huddle (now launderette)
    Lyons on Chapel St (closed)

I guess they've done their market research to say Tralee can support another supermarket. I think another reason supermarkets do so well is the decline of the corner shop. When I grew up in 70s/80s there was just a small Dunnes on Bridge St and an even smaller Quinnsworth in the Square where Carphone Warehouse is yet my street (Strand Road) had 8 grocery shops between Knockmoyle and High St but only 2 remain.

Shop across from Caherina Cottages (now closed)
    Renees (now Morans)
    OSullivans Walshs Terrace (closed)
    Mays (still open as Bons shop)
    Millers/Moriartys (now a TV install/repair shop)
    Nammocks ORahilly Villas (closed)u
    Shop next to Huddle (now launderette)
    Lyons on Chapel St (closed)

When did Lyons close?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

Lidl is opening tomorrow in Edward street.

No, it's opening Thursday 23rd.

Lidl is opening tomorrow in Edward street. They did a nice job of the front of it, it makes the street look well. I got a leaflet in the door this morning which has some weekly €10 off vouchers on it.

I still think the traffic will be crazy around there once it's open! They badly need a feeder light at that Edward street/JJ Sheehy junction, when turning right from Edward st there's no feeder light, whereas there is on the other lights. It's really hard to turn & ive seen a few near misses with people taking a chance! Plus do we really need another supermarket in town, let alone two of each!?

Those vouchers will be useful for shopping in Tesco! (Although I'll be confining myself to the small Tesco while the strike continues.)

I fully expect a similar Aldi leaflet to drop through the letterbox in the next 24 hours - they're not going to let the new Lidl opening go unchallenged!

I don't agree that Lidl will snarl up traffic in the area but I would agree those traffic signals, as they are, are far from optimal.

When did Lyons close?

Gosh, mid 80s I'd say...I can barely remember it. I remember a mobile shop van used to go around Spa Road and a shop opening briefly in Cahills Park too. (I remember they sold A-Team stickers and posters - all the rage then!!)

Should that whole place not be converted into one big park and link it into the wetlands and the canal.

Nothing can be done with the old landfill until it's been properly capped and made safe which is a costly operation. Council applied for funding to do this quite some time ago but, as yet, it has not been forthcoming.

• Advertisement

Adiboo wrote: »
    No, it's opening Thursday 23rd.

Yeah sorry forgot today was only Tuesday! I loose track of the days I'd the week while at home with a baby! Lol

Advertisement