Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

ongarboy wrote: »
    Gosh, mid 80s I'd say...I can barely remember it. I remember a mobile shop van used to go around Spa Road and a shop opening briefly in Cahills Park too. (I remember they sold A-Team stickers and posters - all the rage then!!)

Oh sorry I thought you meant Lyons at the back of ch chemist, that sells the outdoor & work gear!

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Sully34

Quackster wrote: »
    Nothing can be done with the old landfill until it's been properly capped and made safe which is a costly operation. Council applied for funding to do this quite some time ago but, as yet, it has not been forthcoming.

Or just build some houses over it and say nothing to nobody

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Quackster wrote: »
    Those vouchers will be useful for shopping in Tesco! (Although I'll be confining myself to the small Tesco while the strike continues.)

I fully expect a similar Aldi leaflet to drop through the letterbox in the next 24 hours - they're not going to let the new Lidl opening go unchallenged!

I don't agree that Lidl will snarl up traffic in the area but I would agree those traffic signals, as they are, are far from optimal.

I mean the traffic will be bad with those lights the way they are at the moment. If traffic can't turn right it will get really backed up fast!

Speaking of lights, is it a traffic light system they are installing on Denny street/castle street? Saw guys working on them today

ongarboy wrote: »
    Gosh, mid 80s I'd say...I can barely remember it. I remember a mobile shop van used to go around Spa Road and a shop opening briefly in Cahills Park too. (I remember they sold A-Team stickers and posters - all the rage then!!)

Yeah Mick the caravan..was very handy. Forget who had the shop in their hallway in Cahills park

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    I mean the traffic will be bad with those lights the way they are at the moment. If traffic can't turn right it will get really backed up fast!

Speaking of lights, is it a traffic light system they are installing on Denny street/castle street? Saw guys working on them today

Saw that today as well. And the pedestrian crossing not 10 metres away......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Wang Kerr wrote: »
    The only thing I will say is....That since the council became proactive in spreading traveller families around town, and not having them condensed in one area, the issue of feuds and instances of armed battles has fallen away to nothing

Speaking of caravan users, a site next to the caravan park at the top of Monavalley opposite Sundays Well has permission submitted to the council seeking 17 new houses to be built. Nice to see overgrown infill areas being utilised.

kn wrote: »
    Saw that today as well. And the pedestrian crossing not 10 metres away......

I think that's being removed & the crossing will be at the lights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭fuerte1976

On about shops that closed, especially out the back of CH chemist- anyone on here remember the sweet shops (2 if I remember right) beside each other just at the back entrance to CH. Used to get some bags of goodies when we were staying in our grandparents house in stacks villas..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭liam7831

UP to 20 new jobs will be created this week when the new Lidl supermarket opens at its Edward Street site this Thursday.

The building is complete and they’re stocking the store at the old Heiton Buckley site, with the finishing touches to some landscaping and paving work taking place before the opening.

Their second store in Tralee – the other Lidl is located on the Castlemaine Road – will result in an investment of approximately €6.5million in the area.

Between 15 and 20 new positions will be created while their current store will retain its 23 staff. This is the German supermarket giant’s 150th store in Ireland.

The outlet is almost 2,800 square metres over two floors and will have 131 car parking spaces and 27 spaces for bicycles

http://traleetoday.ie/20-jobs-created-new-lidl-opens-thursday/

How many jobs will it cost elsewhere

fuerte1976 wrote: »
    On about shops that closed, especially out the back of CH chemist- anyone on here remember the sweet shops (2 if I remember right) beside each other just at the back entrance to CH. Used to get some bags of goodies when we were staying in our grandparents house in stacks villas..

Seamus had one..take him ages to come out of the sitting room. Can't remember the other one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

fuerte1976 wrote: »

I vaguely remember those sweet shops. They really seemed like relics from the 1940s. There was also a tin shed shop opposite St Catherine's which is now Kerry County council. McDonalds and Topaz there now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

liam7831 wrote: »
    How many jobs will it cost elsewhere

To be honest I think their aim is to take business from tesco and I reckon with the way tesco treat their staff they won't be long moving to Lidl.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,779 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

All the muppets in this town were back parking illegally outside the cinema again last night.

I foresee it won't be long until they get another gift from the traffic wardens if this ****e continues!

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭CiarraiAbu2

Sully34 wrote: »
    Seamus had one..take him ages to come out of the sitting room. Can't remember the other one

Able to but a loose cig and a strike, also a shop in Moyderwell around where the Sinn Fein office is now.

Able to but a loose cig and a strike, also a shop in Moyderwell around where the Sinn Fein office is now.

I remember that little shop in moyderwell. We used to get loose cigs in there during our school lunch break! Can you imagine that now! Lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭Wang Kerr

Petey Kellihers shop, he'd open packs of No.10 cigs (and a few other cheapies) for the Presentation and Green students, it was down a bit further from the Sinn Fein shop

Petey Kellihers shop, he'd open packs of No.10 cigs (and a few other cheapies) for the Presentation and Green students, it was down a bit further from the Sinn Fein shop

Its next door to the SF office. And Kathleen's across the road that was next door to Sugrue's bookies now the hairdressers.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭kev_Makaveli

There was also one further down from the sinn fein office. Maybe a few houses past the entrance to pres primary. We used go in there on the home from pres.

And The Gaelcholaiste students! 😜

kn wrote: »
    Its next door to the SF office. And Kathleen's across the road that was next door to Sugrue's bookies now the hairdressers.

That's correct, it was next door, the shop across the road was Moriarty's Kathleen and her sister ran it....A box of matches for 2p is what I remember :)

• Advertisement

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    And The Gaelcholaiste students! 😜

I'd say those goody-two-shoes crowd didn't make him much money ;);)

There was also one further down from the sinn fein office. Maybe a few houses past the entrance to pres primary. We used go in there on the home from pres.

The first incarnation of that shop was a petshop...Used to go in and look at their piranha fish, quite the attraction way back when.

Anybody remember Joe Royles motorbike shop in the same area with all the video games....HyperOlympics champion here :D

I'd say those goody-two-shoes crowd didn't make him much money ;);)

Ha! You'd be surprised! We liked to act all goody two shoes....haha!

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭bobdcow

Do you remember the Dolphin shop in Denny Street, you could barely turn around inside there :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Pirates Ale

bobdcow wrote: »
    Do you remember the Dolphin shop in Denny Street, you could barely turn around inside there :-)

Yes, and Russels in Edward was a great place for 'penny' sweets.
    The Casket was also tiny.
    I also vaguely remember a shop called Healys dairy

The Casket was also tiny.
    I also vaguely remember a shop called Healys dairy

That was in Castle Street, Philip Healy and his mom emigrated in the early 80's and it had a few owners after that

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭CiarraiAbu2

I still call it Healy's dairy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

I have vague very vague recollections of a shop that used sell penny sweets and they had like quartz stones in the window in rock street somewhere? I think... anyone any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭manoverboards

Still there Kellihers, next to the (old) Old Oak.
    The proprietor died a few years back shop has been idle since.
    cyning wrote: »
    I have vague very vague recollections of a shop that used sell penny sweets and they had like quartz stones in the window in rock street somewhere? I think... anyone any ideas?

• Advertisement

I think that is where the Solicitor office is now. That was an aladin's cave for 10p sweets.

Advertisement