Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Erik Shin

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    I get that. What we mean is how badly laid out the ads are!

You mean...In your face and can't possibly miss them?....It's quite deliberate

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Erik Shin wrote: »
    You mean...In your face and can't possibly miss them?....It's quite deliberate

Yeah, but they are all over the place & really badly laid out. Looks like an amateurish website in my opinion!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Yeah, but they are all over the place & really badly laid out. Looks like an amateurish website in my opinion!

Should just keep the ads to the side of articles,

People are still going to see them but it would make the site a bit easier on the eye

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Should just keep the ads to the side of articles,

People are still going to see them but it would make the site a bit easier on the eye

Exactly!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,526 ✭✭✭✭siblers

traleetoday.ie looks like it was designed by a transition year student in 1999, it's a dreadful website.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,526 ✭✭✭✭siblers

That's how he makes his money, the ads on boards are just as much a pain, but a necessary evil

There are pretty simple ways to block the ads on Boards, not sure if it's allowed to post how to block them though

siblers wrote: »
    There are pretty simple ways to block the ads on Boards, not sure if it's allowed to post how to block them though

Best not to post how! I rarely notice the ads on boards. They are nowhere near as annoying and all over the place as on traleetoday! You're right, it's really badly designed.

With today's Bus Eireann strike i think people would want to check on any train journeys to be made...There have been no trains from Limerick or Cork this morning, 1 or 2 relief buses... But i doubt we'll get that in Tralee

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭phater phagan

With today's Bus Eireann strike i think people would want to check on any train journeys to be made...There have been no trains from Limerick or Cork this morning, 1 or 2 relief buses... But i doubt we'll get that in Tralee

The Irish Rail site doesn't mention this! Are you sure? I must catch a plane to England from Cork airport this evening.

The Irish Rail site doesn't mention this! Are you sure? I must catch a plane to England from Cork airport this evening.

Check out the commuting thread, seems to be very frenetic...I'd advise you check before doing anything tbh.

We were told that train drivers wouldn't pass the picket in shared stations....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭phater phagan

Check out the commuting thread, seems to be very frenetic...I'd advise you check before doing anything tbh.

We were told that train drivers wouldn't pass the picket in shared stations....

Thanks for that Erik. I've decided to drive there instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Attached gives affected services. The direct 07:05 departure from Tralee was cancelled and some Cork to Dublin services were also cancelled meaning while the Tralee to Mallow shuttle services were operational, you could have arrived in Mallow with a long wait for the next train to Dublin....
    I'm surprised any rail services operated out of Tralee given that the station shares both bus and train services. Is there a picket at Tralee bus station?

http://www.irishrail.ie/news/rail-services-bus-eireann-dispute

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,779 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

ongarboy wrote: »
    I'm surprised any rail services operated out of Tralee given that the station shares both bus and train services. Is there a picket at Tralee bus station?

The trains operating from Tralee are those operated by drivers who start their shifts in Cork or Dublin. It's the Tralee-based drivers who are not 'passing' the picket that has absolutely nothing to do with them.

In any case, thank the heavens for Dublin Coach! :D

Quackster wrote: »
    The trains operating from Tralee are those operated by drivers who start their shifts in Cork or Dublin. It's the Tralee-based drivers who are not 'passing' the picket that has absolutely nothing to do with them.

Surely the first trains leaving Tralee in the morning must be affected?

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭hanamandiol

The death of comradeship among workers is confirmed by your post.Of course Bus Eireann workers will strike when their company cuts their wages and attacks their livelehoods.Withdrawl of labour is their only weapon.Of course their colleagues in a sister company-also owned by our right wing Govt-will not pass their colleagues picket.I would also expect the public not to pass the picket

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭g1983d

The death of comradeship among workers is confirmed by your post.Of course Bus Eireann workers will strike when their company cuts their wages and attacks their livelehoods.Withdrawl of labour is their only weapon.Of course their colleagues in a sister company-also owned by our right wing Govt-will not pass their colleagues picket.I would also expect the public not to pass the picket

No poin in the public passing the picket of there's no busses or trains travelling

Surely the first trains leaving Tralee in the morning must be affected?

The early trains out of Tralee were cancelled but the 05:55 might have operated because there possibly was no picket at the bus station when that driver turned up for work.

The first train to Tralee from Mallow/Cork to run was the one due in at 12:55 and the 13:05 return then ran as it's operated by the same Cork-based driver.

All subsequent trains operated by Cork drivers should run but the direct Tralee/Dublin trains won't as they're operated by Tralee-based drivers.

Bus Eireann staff have every right to strike but they're only hastening the demise of their own employer.

Considering that the bus and train stations in Tralee are completely separate buildings that only share a car park, the utterly pointless actions of the train drivers are beyond disgusting, especially given the severe inconvenience (and in many cases trauma) they have exacted on innocent commuters.

But at least we can agree that we have a right-wing government! :D

Would anyone know is there any truth to the rumour that Barry's bakery is closing down with the shop unaffected ?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 greysheep

Erik Shin wrote:
    Would anyone know is there any truth to the rumour that Barry's bakery is closing down with the shop unaffected ?

Bakery closed at 2pm today

• Advertisement

greysheep wrote: »
    Bakery closed at 2pm today

WTF...??? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭th283

WTF...??? :confused:

It seemed to happen very quickly, they only rang business customers today to let them know

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

That's out of the blue. An iconic Tralee brand gone!

http://www.radiokerry.ie/loss-20-jobs-iconic-kerry-bakery-closes/

kn wrote: »
    That's out of the blue. An iconic Tralee brand gone!

And a part of what makes Tralee Tralee dies with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

And a part of what makes Tralee Tralee dies with it.

No more of Barry's uniquely thinly sliced fresh crusty loaf! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Easy to explain why. There was no free parking in town. Or so you would be led to believe in some quarters.
    Ridiculous reasoning aside, It's no secret that the German supermarkets taking over with almost free bread and other groceries have sounded the death knell for the small shop and similar buisinesses.
    Sad to see the iconic bakery go, it was a figurehead of the town.

Wow that's awful news. Very sad to hear that. Always remember getting their vanilla slices in primary school for our 'sos'! Loved them!

Have only just heard tonight too that Il Forno in courthouse lane has also closed its doors! Sad to hear.

Have only just heard tonight too that Il Forno in courthouse lane has also closed its doors! Sad to hear.

Facebook popular, but people not going thru the doors, a real shame.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Well, you can't say that they didn't try to make a go of it.

Advertisement