Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Great win by the Tralee Warriors yesterday,

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭kerryked

Probably been asked here before, but..

Why are petrol prices at that Texaco in Oakpark so high? Does anyone ever actually use the place?

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Brock Stevens

kerryked wrote: »
    Probably been asked here before, but..

Why are petrol prices at that Texaco in Oakpark so high? Does anyone ever actually use the place?

I was thinking just that today. Drove past and 3 cars were filling up. Wondered if some people even care about prices at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭sudaltsov

Anyone tried to get SIRO from Vodafone? I ordered mine at the end of January(!) and they still keep "fixing" it (yes they checked the availability, of course). More than 2 months. Anything here to report to Comreg? The area is Marina

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

sudaltsov wrote: »
    Anyone tried to get SIRO from Vodafone? I ordered mine at the end of January(!) and they still keep "fixing" it (yes they checked the availability, of course). More than 2 months. Anything here to report to Comreg? The area is Marina

Vodafone are the reason I am not ordering it! As much as I want it, and it's available in my estate, I'm not going to give them the business! I was told Digiweb and another crowd do it too, but not sure they service tralee.

• Advertisement

VF are complete <censored>, I know. But I want SIRO... The question is how long for them it is legal to drag that installation story? At which point am I in position to demand some compensation etc? 2+months is really beyond any reason, even by Irish standards of 'timeliness'

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

VF are complete <censored>, I know. But I want SIRO... The question is how long for them it is legal to drag that installation story? At which point am I in position to demand some compensation etc? 2+months is really beyond any reason, even by Irish standards of 'timeliness'

I would definitely be getting onto Comreg & see where you stand. I would say you are entitled to a refund if you haven't had it in a certain timeframe...if you have paid them something obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭tfer

Was doing a clear out and came across a few vcr tapes, they were videos of the kids (when they were kids) we would love to watch them now.
    Who in town converts them to cd or hard drive and any idea how much they charge ?

tfer wrote: »
    Was doing a clear out and came across a few vcr tapes, they were videos of the kids (when they were kids) we would love to watch them now.
    Who in town converts them to cd or hard drive and any idea how much they charge ?

Think Dan Devane there on Rock Street does it. At least every time I'm stopped at the traffic lights there, I read the sign and that's what it says.

Wedding photographer guy out in Fenit, Digimac, would probably do it too.

Out of interest, why do you want SIRO? Unless you are running a business or downloading an insane amount of data I can't see the advantage of 1Gbps speeds to the average household user.

Fair enough if there are no other options available but I would presume for the average use of streaming on Netflix, browsing websites, sending emails etc that the 15/20/25Mbps offered by the other providers would be sufficient?

Obviously it's nice to have fibre broadband and I look forward to the day that it's properly implemented throughout the country but at the moment I can't really see the advantage of it for the average household user.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,779 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Out of interest, why do you want SIRO? Unless you are running a business or downloading an insane amount of data I can't see the advantage of 1Gbps speeds to the average household user.

Fair enough if there are no other options available but I would presume for the average use of streaming on Netflix, browsing websites, sending emails etc that the 15/20/25Mbps offered by the other providers would be sufficient?

Obviously it's nice to have fibre broadband and I look forward to the day that it's properly implemented throughout the country but at the moment I can't really see the advantage of it for the average household user.

VDSL can be rather variable depending on the length and state of the copper wire from the cabinet to your house, so while it may work well for you, you could find that your next-door neighbour has a much lower speed than you or may not be even be able to receive a stable connection.

Operators offering services over both Siro and Eir fibre offer a range of speeds starting at 150MB/s - you don't need to pay for 1GB/s unless you want that.

Vodafone is currently the only operator offering Siro in Tralee. There's no word of Digiweb or any other Siro partner extending their offering to Tralee.

But don't forget to check if Eir's fibre is available to you as an alternative to Siro.

Quackster wrote: »
    VDSL can be rather variable depending on the length and state of the copper wire from the cabinet to your house, so while it may work well for you, you could find that your next-door neighbour has a much lower speed than you or may not be even be able to receive a stable connection.

Operators offering services over both Siro and Eir fibre offer a range of speeds starting at 150MB/s - you don't need to pay for 1GB/s unless you want that.

Vodafone is currently the only operator offering Siro in Tralee. There's no word of Digiweb or any other Siro partner extending their offering to Tralee.

I did notice a few houses in our estate seem to have taken up the Siro judging by the same guys back every week or so to install. Can't think of the name on the vans I've seen. TLI always seem to be back around the estate checking things. There's a manhole outside my gate which they installed & they keep opening to check it.

I want to stop dependency on the copper wire. And I do not need 1G, I am fine with the very basic SIRO package 150Mbps

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭RevBlueJeans

When you sign on to Siro do you start paying immediately or does your contract only begin when the full service is established?

RevBJ

I have not payed anything yet. Moreover, my monthly VF broadband payments disappeared, hehe. I do not know if I am going to pay any extras later.

McGuirks golf are opening on Friday. They are situated between Bookshelf coffee shop & Flair in Manor retail park.

On a separate note, someone mentioned a while back that you can't drive around by that above location and go out via Bowling buddies to The Playdium/Mr price. Anyone know why that is? I had to turn around last week.

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    McGuirks golf are opening on Friday. They are situated between Bookshelf coffee shop & Flair in Manor retail park.

On a separate note, someone mentioned a while back that you can't drive around by that above location and go out via Bowling buddies to The Playdium/Mr price. Anyone know why that is? I had to turn around last week.

First thing that comes to mind is to deter 'boy racer' types hanging around there at night, that's just idle speculation though.

First thing that comes to mind is to deter 'boy racer' types hanging around there at night, that's just idle speculation though.

True, although they could have put in a gate type thing as they did in the other part of the retail park. I know it's different owners, but better than blocking it totally off. I'd say cars are turning around there all day.

True, although they could have put in a gate type thing as they did in the other part of the retail park. I know it's different owners, but better than blocking it totally off. I'd say cars are turning around there all day.

Couldn't be certain but I think they do have one of them new barriers at the coffee shop side but not at the Soundstore side so I guess they wanted to block off access from up there. Doesn't really make much sense to me either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Erik Shin

Some individuals would want to take a long hard look at themselves and not be so bitter and twisted in life.....Not in relation to any post here, just a generalisation about the mindset of certain people in Tralee

• Advertisement

Erik Shin wrote: »
    Some individuals would want to take a long hard look at themselves and not be so bitter and twisted in life.....Not in relation to any post here, just a generalisation about the mindset of certain people in Tralee

"Sure no wonder we're bitter and twisted with the state of the government/council/chamber alliance/road works/potholes/rents in the town centre/insert plight of Tralee people as appropriate here"

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,020 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Anybody know of charities, womens refuges etc that would be happy to take board games, kids jigsaws, kids books and the likes around Tralee.

I have a clear-out planned for next week and would like to find a home for these items instead of the dump.

BPKS wrote: »
    Anybody know of charities, womens refuges etc that would be happy to take board games, kids jigsaws, kids books and the likes around Tralee.

I have a clear-out planned for next week and would like to find a home for these items instead of the dump.

Adapt women's refuge is a good place to start. You can either drop them to their place in Shanakill (next to Shanahans) or to their charity shop near Gleasures funeral home.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭RevBlueJeans

Have only just heard tonight too that Il Forno in courthouse lane has also closed its doors! Sad to hear.

Just realised this now. What a shame. They had by far the best pizza in town and were not afraid to try innovative initiatives such as comedy etc. The owners and staff were all ways very friendly and efficient.

A friend of mine who ran a very successful restaurant in Tralee always said that Tralee people simply won't pay for quality.

A any good pizza places in town apart from the global brands and pizza time (god awful pizza).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Just realised this now. What a shame. They had by far the best pizza in town and were not afraid to try innovative initiatives such as comedy etc. The owners and staff were all ways very friendly and efficient.

A friend of mine who ran a very successful restaurant in Tralee always said that Tralee people simply won't pay for quality.

A any good pizza places in town apart from the global brands and pizza time (god awful pizza).

Have you tried the pizzas in New Yorkers?

Its been a while since I was in Pizza Time they used be decent pizzas,have they gone down hill?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

I think location killed them, not price. Courthouse lane does not have much footfall. Also they were competing against 2 established Italian restaurants in Bella bia and pomo doro. On top of that you have domino's, la scala, pizza time and new yorkers at the cheaper end of the market all selling pizza. The roast house isn't super cheap but there is always consistently high quality food there and they are doing a roaring trade, difference being they are right in the centre of town.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

xxyyzz wrote: »
    I think location killed them, not price. Courthouse lane does not have much footfall. Also they were competing against 2 established Italian restaurants in Bella bia and pomo doro. On top of that you have domino's, la scala, pizza time and new yorkers at the cheaper end of the market all selling pizza. The roast house isn't super cheap but there is always consistently high quality food there and they are doing a roaring trade, difference being they are right in the centre of town.

Agreed. While locals would know of Courthouse lane, casual visitors and tourists to the town would not really stumble upon it and most restaurants heavily rely on this type of trade to start making profit margins. It's a shame because it is exactly the type of restaurant I'd visit or seek out if I was a tourist or visitor to other towns.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭chupacabra

Have you tried the pizzas in New Yorkers?

Its been a while since I was in Pizza Time they used be decent pizzas,have they gone down hill?

Last time I had a pizza time was around 2 years ago but they had gone down a lot in quality. I remember back when I was a young'n you'd almost choke to death on the fresh mozzarella they used back then. Nowadays is all cheap quality ingredients so they can push their "LIMITED SPECIAL OFFER HALF PRICE PIZZA (mon-sun)" :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭JonathonS

Back in the day a trip to the Aquadome followed by a pizza in Pizza Time was a summer highlight for my kids. How long have they they been in business? I'm guessing 25 years. They must be doing something right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Pirates Ale

JonathonS wrote: »
    How long have they they been in business? I'm guessing 25 years. They must be doing something right.
    Thats very true, they have seen some amount of restaurants come and go in that time

Advertisement