Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Erik Shin

Gardai on a clampdown this morning, checking for tax, insurance etc and have just confiscated a van outside Hennesseys bar on castle st

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Has the French restaurant, la Rustique, in Princes street closed?

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Pirates Ale

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    Has the French restaurant, la Rustique, in Princes street closed?

Je ne savais même pas qu'il existait

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭RevBlueJeans

JonathonS wrote: »
    Back in the day a trip to the Aquadome followed by a pizza in Pizza Time was a summer highlight for my kids. How long have they they been in business? I'm guessing 25 years. They must be doing something right.

Pizza Time have been going since the early to mid eighties so over 30 years in operation. At one time before the advent of late bars it was a kind of "wine bar"! The were always fairly good until they started the ""LIMITED SPECIAL OFFER HALF PRICE PIZZA" crack.

Incidently when the opened first in the 80's they did a sicilian style pizza which was really excellent.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Hey, I was wondering does anyone have a recommendation for a plumber? Got a blockage problem with outside drains :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭kerryked

Yakult wrote: »
    Hey, I was wondering does anyone have a recommendation for a plumber? Got a blockage problem with outside drains :/

I often see a red van around the place, "Kerry drain services". This isn't a recommendation as I've never dealt with them, but they would probably be a good place to start as they would have the necessary power hoses etc to block drains.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

kerryked wrote: »
    I often see a red van around the place, "Kerry drain services". This isn't a recommendation as I've never dealt with them, but they would probably be a good place to start as they would have the necessary power hoses etc to block drains.

I can vouch for them. Very good service. Unblocked our sewer and drains a few weeks back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭acequion

What's the best Chinese or Thai /oriental take away in Tralee? Have people coming and don't feel like cooking.

acequion wrote: »
    What's the best Chinese or Thai /oriental take away in Tralee? Have people coming and don't feel like cooking.

How long is a piece of string?

Ho Kee in castle st
    Rose Garden in Rock St
    Tamarind Thai behind Garvey's
    Pagoda Chinese in Manor
    Lana Thai in Ashe at
    Sunshine Palace in Castle St.
    1,3,&4 in my experience.... But you'll get diff answers from all

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

tamarind has won best ethnic restaurant in ireland awards in the past and i've had very good experiences with them. I was in Lana recently and their food is really tasty but i don't think they deliver.

• Advertisement

Chinese restaurants in Tralee are poor to middling in my opinion.

I rate them as follows:
    Sunshine Palace: sometimes good but inconsistent (some dishes the chicken is unrecognisable)
    HoKee: take away only. The first Chinese in Tralee. Not bad but I reckon they all get the same sauces from the same supplier.
    The pagoda? In manor west. Haven't been there in a while but it's ok.
    Tarimand, Matt Talbot rd, Asian food. Thainese. Worth a try. Nice family owned and run.
    Lana on Ashe st: tried this Asian st food place but the novelty wore off after the third visit. Sit down comes served in take away containers. Not a patch on Khao in Killarney.
    The rose garden: I'm a rockie but I can't recommend this place.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭acequion

Chinese restaurants in Tralee are poor to middling in my opinion.

I rate them as follows:
    Sunshine Palace: sometimes good but inconsistent (some dishes the chicken is unrecognisable)
    HoKee: take away only. The first Chinese in Tralee. Not bad but I reckon they all get the same sauces from the same supplier.
    The pagoda? In manor west. Haven't been there in a while but it's ok.
    Tarimand, Matt Talbot rd, Asian food. Thainese. Worth a try. Nice family owned and run.
    Lana on Ashe st: tried this Asian st food place but the novelty wore off after the third visit. Sit down comes served in take away containers. Not a patch on Khao in Killarney.
    The rose garden: I'm a rockie but I can't recommend this place.

Thanks a mil,really appreciate this. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭phormium

Where would be the most convenient and nice place to take someone who uses a mobility scooter for tea/scone/cake in town centre?

It's not a massive one, a smaller model, I can't imagine it would any bigger than an electric wheelchair. Just need no steps obviously and a bit of space inside, it can be just manoeuvred alongside a table and used instead of the chair.

Would appreciate any suggestions, first trip around town and want to make it easy for them.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

phormium wrote: »
    Where would be the most convenient and nice place to take someone who uses a mobility scooter for tea/scone/cake in town centre?

It's not a massive one, a smaller model, I can't imagine it would any bigger than an electric wheelchair. Just need no steps obviously and a bit of space inside, it can be just manoeuvred alongside a table and used instead of the chair.

Would appreciate any suggestions, first trip around town and want to make it easy for them.

Try Yummy Cafe in the Square. I go in there with a pram regularly & often put it alongside the table & there's a good bit of room. There's double doors going in too, so its handy.

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    Try Yummy Cafe in the Square. I go in there with a pram regularly & often put it alongside the table & there's a good bit of room. There's double doors going in too, so its handy.

Could be an awkward one with the works going on at the moment, footpaths aren't the greatest in town at the best of times.

The staff in Yummy down by Dowlings shoes are always very nice and accommodating, lot of parents with buggies and stuff in there. I think the Roast House on Denny Street is another one that might be a good option.

I'd hope most places would be accommodating to a person in need of an extra bit of space for a mobility scooter or wheelchair. Hope the experience goes well for you!

Thanks, I had actually looked at The Roast House, it has nice wide space going in and figured it might work or Benners was another option but they seem to have stopped using the coffee shop bit and all food is in the bar, might still work though.

I'm afraid Yummy is out for exactly the reason most people love it, this is an elderly person and not that tolerant of noise, I find Yummy hard work myself :) It's a great place if you have kids but if I want a quiet cup of coffee it's not where I would go.

Der Sullivan's has a big wide double door as well entering into their café part

phormium wrote: »
    Thanks, I had actually looked at The Roast House, it has nice wide space going in and figured it might work or Benners was another option but they seem to have stopped using the coffee shop bit and all food is in the bar, might still work though.

I'm afraid Yummy is out for exactly the reason most people love it, this is an elderly person and not that tolerant of noise, I find Yummy hard work myself :) It's a great place if you have kids but if I want a quiet cup of coffee it's not where I would go.

True, the noise from the kids can be a bit much...and my own little 9 month old has started to get noisy when we are out! lol I'd say the Roast house would be good, although I wouldn't go in at lunch as it's quite busy.

I did a bit of a ramble around this morning to suss out various places. I definitely think the Roast house is a runner when they have finished the racket outside the door. Plenty of space in there.

I also checked out Dawsons which is actually very accessible as the lift in Heatons is huge so that might be really handy too and access down the laneway so avoiding traipsing around the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Forge83

Has Gaudinos restaurant(old Allegro) closed down? Passed yesterday at lunch and closed.

• Advertisement

Forge83 wrote: »
    Has Gaudinos restaurant(old Allegro) closed down? Passed yesterday at lunch and closed.

Closed down a few months ago

I didn't even notice they had closed. That's a shame. They had done a nice job of doing it up last year.

Old allegro, even older Stella and even older still Wimpy! There was an old cruel joke which went: Q. How do you know the Festival is on in Tralee? A. Because there is a crowd in the Stellla.

The sign on the front of Gaudino's stated that they were closed for the winter and would be reopening in the spring.

As an aside has there ever been a successful business run out of the two units accross the road from Barry's on Rock st?

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,779 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

As an aside has there ever been a successful business run out of the two units accross the road from Barry's on Rock st?

I remember there was a supermarket (Mace maybe) there at one stage but since that closed (early 90s?) nothing has lasted there for long.

Was there ever any more developments on the Old Oak re-opening? Thought I heard that either on here, or around town last summer, that it was going to reopen as a bar and live music venue. Would be nice to see something like that, but not sure how much of an appetite there would be for it in Tralee

Was there ever any more developments on the Old Oak re-opening? Thought I heard that either on here, or around town last summer, that it was going to reopen as a bar and live music venue. Would be nice to see something like that, but not sure how much of an appetite there would be for it in Tralee

Probably just rumours. I've not heard a thing about it since.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Forge83

The Old Oak premises is a weird situation. You would think the owners would either lease it out or sell it. If the bank owned it then they would likewise be trying to sell it.
    On that note and speaking of rumours, could it be a frozen criminal asset?

The Old Oak premises is a weird situation. You would think the owners would either lease it out or sell it. If the bank owned it then they would likewise be trying to sell it.
    On that note and speaking of rumours, could it be a frozen criminal asset?

To be honest, I've no idea what you're referring to there, but by the conclusions I'm drawing, probably best not to comment :pac:

To be honest, I've no idea what you're referring to there, but by the conclusions I'm drawing, probably best not to comment :pac:

Reports of it being a paramilitary bar and being used to clean drug money.... Strong rumour at the time, but it closed down before it came to anything

• Advertisement

I saw a to let sign up on Gaudinos today, so looks like it's definitely closed.

Advertisement