Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,768 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Have spoken of this since the bypass opened-amazing such an access wasnt considered during the road construction-very positive development and will reduce traffic congestion around Killerisk and KCC AREA

It wasn't considered as part of the bypass project as an access to a private commercial development wasn't going to be constructed at taxpayers' expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭RevBlueJeans

Interesting but what about that weird one way exit off the bypass to racecourse road?

Interesting but what about that weird one way exit off the bypass to racecourse road?

That is to provide direct access to Clash Industrial Estate. The NRA in their infinite wisdom decided a northbound exit would be appropriate but, for safety reasons, a southbound entrance would not.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Zefff

Hey Tralee folks, might sound flakey, but where's the best place to go to walk amongst trees around here (besides the lovely park)?! We Canadians are missing the trees and it's a beautiful day. I was looking at Ballyseedy woods. Seems nice, but how would one get there without a car? We're used to long walks. Having said that, we've also been wanting to take a little train trip somewhere. Any ideas for combining both (woods walk and train)?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,357 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Zefff wrote: »
    Hey Tralee folks, might sound flakey, but where's the best place to go to walk amongst trees around here (besides the lovely park)?! We Canadians are missing the trees and it's a beautiful day. I was looking at Ballyseedy woods. Seems nice, but how would one get there without a car? We're used to long walks. Having said that, we've also been wanting to take a little train trip somewhere. Any ideas for combining both (woods walk and train)?

You could take the train to Killarney, there's the national park there which you could walk to from train station.

• Advertisement

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    You could take the train to Killarney, there's the national park there which you could walk to from train station.

We were there a couple weeks ago. And you've inspired us to go again haha

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

We were there a couple weeks ago. And you've inspired us to go again haha

There's walks up around torc waterfall near killarney, amazing scenery. Alternatively try glanteenassig on the way to castlegregory. Glanageenty is another option about 5 miles from Tralee.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭RevBlueJeans

Walked to tonevane today. No trees but plenty snow! Ballyseedee woods are walkable from town.

Walked to tonevane today. No trees but plenty snow! Ballyseedee woods are walkable from town.

Good to hear. What's the best route to Ballyseedee?

And are there walking/hillwalking clubs?

Good to hear. What's the best route to Ballyseedee?

And are there walking/hillwalking clubs?

Foley's Glen is definitely the best place that should satisfy your thirst for trees that is walkable from Tralee. Much wilder and off-the-beaten-track feel than Ballyseede. It's on the Short Mountain road, south of Ballyard. You can also continue to walk the road up to the top of the Short Mountain for lovely views north over Tralee and south over Killorglin and Mid-Kerry.

• Advertisement

Quackster wrote: »
    Foley's Glen is definitely the best place that should satisfy your thirst for trees that is walkable from Tralee. Much wilder and off-the-beaten-track feel than Ballyseede. It's on the Short Mountain road, south of Ballyard. You can also continue to walk the road up to the top of the Short Mountain for lovely views north over Tralee and south over Killorglin and Mid-Kerry.

Sounds perfect. Foley's Glen doesn't show up on google maps, neither does Short Mountain Rd. Any search suggestions to start us off on the right foot?

Sounds perfect. Foley's Glen doesn't show up on google maps, neither does Short Mountain Rd. Any search suggestions to start us off on the right foot?

Type the following coordinates into Google Maps for the entrance to Foley's Glen:

52.231750,-9.700573

The road continuing south from this entrance is the Short Mountain Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭The YOPPA

Zefff, if you Google 'Queen Scotia's Grave' & click the activeme link it gives you info on how to get there. Queen Scotia is reportedly buried there.

For easier directions, take a left out of the aquadome, turn left at the first t junction & then take the next right.

Hope this helps.

Sorry, just saw above post when I refreshed!!

The YOPPA wrote: »
    Zefff, if you Google 'Queen Scotia's Grave' & click the activeme link it gives you info on how to get there. Queen Scotia is reportedly buried there.

For easier directions, take a left out of the aquadome, turn left at the first t junction & then take the next right.

Hope this helps.

Sorry, just saw above post when I refreshed!!

That's great, thanks very much. I'll have to read about Queen Scotia now, being from Nova Scotia myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

I hope this building isn't going to end up a big white elephant

http://traleetoday.ie/planning-granted-for-ida-facility-at-kerry-technology-park/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

http://traleetoday.ie/planning-granted-for-ida-facility-at-kerry-technology-park/

A lot of companies have left the tech park due to overcrowding and lack of investment. They were left extremely frustrated. This could be a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭phater phagan

Another Global Pharmaceutical scenario ? Perhaps.

xxyyzz wrote: »
    A lot of companies have left the tech park due to overcrowding and lack of investment. They were left extremely frustrated. This could be a good thing.

Don't get me wrong is it great to see something happening,

I just hope that some time in the future a company will take a gamble on Tralee and set up in the town,a manufacturing/production company would be ideal

Look at the old Goblin unit,that would be an ideal place to set up,near the Tech Park and the new by pass,

But the costs of doing something like this is too high atm in this country

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭g1983d

Don't get me wrong is it great to see something happening,

I just hope that some time in the future a company will take a gamble on Tralee and set up in the town,a manufacturing/production company would be ideal

Look at the old Goblin unit,that would be an ideal place to set up,near the Tech Park and the new by pass,

But the costs of doing something like this is too high atm in this country

From what I've heard one of the builders providers in clash has bought Goblin with plans to open a new premises and close their old 1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Pink Fairy

Might have been an attempted robbery on the EBS in Russell Street. Windows smashd in and the Gardai in attendance
    Edit: A car crashed into the building, possibly driver lost control

• Advertisement

g1983d wrote: »
    From what I've heard one of the builders providers in clash has bought Goblin with plans to open a new premises and close their old 1

Boyles??

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,357 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Pink Fairy wrote: »
    Might have been an attempted robbery on the EBS in Russell Street. Windows smashd in and the Gardai in attendance
    Edit: A car crashed into the building, possibly driver lost control

http://www.radiokerry.ie/news/car-crashes-into-busy-building-in-tralee-town-centre/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    Mortgage holder facing eviction maybe? Being in his 30's not likely to be health related.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭g1983d

Boyles??

I'd prefer not to say but it would be good for the road if it happens.
    Brighten up the place a bit as all the buildings along there are run down looking

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Pirates Ale

I heard in the past that it was Boyles, in fact I posted it in here at time iirc.
    That doesnt mean I was correct though, but it does make sense as that land backs on to their existing yard.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Tralee a city??!!

Surely a nonsense idea? I can't picture ever calling The Mall the city centre! I know there's the argument that similar sized town Kilkenny is officially a city but that's based on some ancient charter rather than it realistically being recognised as a typical living breathing city. I think there would be more piss taking of the town than anything else if Tralee were to suddenly be labelled a city.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/welcome-to-the-city-of-tralee-population-22-200-1.2558656

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Pink Fairy

I'm.starting to think Tommy Mac was dropped on his head as a child..... a lot!

Kilkenny is only, by convention, referred to as a city for historic reasons. It has absolutely no legal designation as a city. It did have a borough council when Tralee only had a town council but Drogheda, Wexford, Sligo and Clonmel also had borough councils but have never (except for by some deluded folk in Sligo's case) been referred to as cities.

This persuit of city status is pure nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭The YOPPA

Lady that was killed in the accident outside Rathkeale was from Tralee. Knew her to talk to, always smiling, such a lovely person. Condolences to her husband & children.

• Advertisement

The YOPPA wrote: »
    Lady that was killed in the accident outside Rathkeale was from Tralee. Knew her to talk to, always smiling, such a lovely person. Condolences to her husband & children.

Awh that's awful news. Sorry to hear that.

Advertisement