Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

I noticed the former Italian deli place on Edward St has '3 months free rent' plastered all over the front of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

Do you know whats going on there?

I hope they are doing away with the stupid right hand turn into the street in front of the Munster Bar/ Ballymullen PO!

Cars wait there for ages waiting to turn in the same time they could continue to the round a bout and get access from the far side.
    No it was between Nancy Myles and the Killerisk roundabout. My guess is they were laying Fibre optic cable.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,779 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Folk rough sleeping tonight outside the Intreo on Edward St. Is this a new phenomenon?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

Quackster wrote: »
    Folk rough sleeping tonight outside the Intreo on Edward St. Is this a new phenomenon?

I think its a new Roma begging crowd in town. Saw one looking as if he was settling down outside Paddy Power on Castle Street last evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

http://www.radiokerry.ie/mcdonalds-tralee-undergo-major-refurbishment-september/

That's odd.  After the drawn out planning process to replace the McDonalds in Tralee with a two storey which they got permission for, they've now abandoned those plans and will just refurbish the existing premises.  I wonder why the change of mind?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

ongarboy wrote: »
    http://www.radiokerry.ie/mcdonalds-tralee-undergo-major-refurbishment-september/

That's odd.  After the drawn out planning process to replace the McDonalds in Tralee with a two storey which they got permission for, they've now abandoned those plans and will just refurbish the existing premises.  I wonder why the change of mind?

Was wondering why the new build hadnt started,

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭kerryked

Wonder what happens to employees for the duration of the renovations. Will they get paid? 3 weeks is a long time to go without your wages.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Tippinkerry

I understand the costs of the new site and restaurant building would have made the project too expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭pickled101

In a file, in a filing cabinet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 PixieMoth

Would any of you know if there is a BoyleSports in Manor West?

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭hanamandiol

PixieMoth wrote: »
    Would any of you know if there is a BoyleSports in Manor West?

yes in mcdonalds/topaz section

50 new jobs promised at Tralee engineering plant
    https://www.rte.ie/news/munster/2017/0428/871113-tralee-borgwarner/

Good jobs news for Tralee. Borg Warner will now employ 220 staff with this expansion which is pretty impressive!

Also more good news below. It's great to see innovation like this in smaller towns like Tralee. Sometimes people have fantastic business ideas but may not have the right facilities, mentoring, or assistance to bring it to fruition. This type of concept support is surely invaluable.

Two new business innovation hubs for Co Kerry
    https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2017/0428/871162-two-new-business-innovation-hubs-for-co-kerry/

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Apparently the Stonehouse restaurant is to be renamed and I think under new management. They are changing the name to 'Chroi' (as in the Irish for Heart!).
    https://www.facebook.com/traleeculinarygangsters/posts/735363336644211:0

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭pickled101

Yes, P Commanes was a real old style shop that used to sell light hardware, kitchen utensils etc. The owner, Paddy, ran it until he was in his 80's and it then closed. (he died a few years ago)
    I presume his son is now running it as a book shop, passed by it yesterday and the guy in there would fit the age profile anyway.

Hope it works out for him, the door was locked at 5:20pm with an advertised closing time of 5:30pm. Myself and 85yr father tried to get in, was a fella at the counter who looked up at us and back to his work again :-)
    Maybe we did not fit the target market

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Erik Shin

pickled101 wrote: »
    Hope it works out for him, the door was locked at 5:20pm with an advertised closing time of 5:30pm. Myself and 85yr father tried to get in, was a fella at the counter who looked up at us and back to his work again :-)

Sorry for your troubles

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

pickled101 wrote: »

I guess he closed early as he may not have been too busy! Not all shops open or close at the time they say they will. Small shops, who are run by the owners et tend to be a little more relaxed with opening hours. I wouldn't take it personally. Yes maybe he should have acknowledged you, but I guess he was closed & assumed you could see that.

A winning €500,000 Euromillions ticket was sold in Gala mount hawk yesterday! Well done to the lucky winners!
    http://traleetoday.ie/e500000-euromillions-win-tralee-last-night/

http://www.radiokerry.ie/planning-sought-redevelop-building-tralee/

It's almost a shame this quirky old building would be demolished (between Caballs toys and Dowlings shoe shop) but I imagine it's not fit for purpose for modern retailing requirements.  Does anyone know when it last was open as a McQuinn's butchers? I can't ever remember it being open despite my not so youthful years!!

duplicate

• Advertisement

http://www.radiokerry.ie/planning-sought-redevelop-building-tralee/

It's almost a shame this quirky old building would be demolished (between Caballs toys and Dowlings shoe shop) but I imagine it's not fit for purpose for modern retailing requirements.  Does anyone know when it last was open as a McQuinn's butchers? I can't ever remember it being open despite my not so youthful years!!

Always thought it would make a lovely little pub,be sad to see it knocked down

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭phormium

I can remember it being open but can't put a year on it, can actually clearly remember the lady who was usually in there, never liked the stuff hanging in the window. I like my meat nice and clinical looking in supermarket packs :)

Seem to be a bit of a trend of organised begging appearing in Tralee....Saw a guy sitting outside Costello's pharmacy on a bag in Rock st today...Couple of hours later he was gone...And another guy sat there on a bag taking his place...

Erik Shin wrote: »
    Seem to be a bit of a trend of organised begging appearing in Tralee....Saw a guy sitting outside Costello's pharmacy on a bag in Rock st today...Couple of hours later he was gone...And another guy sat there on a bag taking his place...

Yeah, its going on a few weeks now I think. There's a guy playing music in the Mall too. I assume the Gardai are moving them along, but most likely they just come back again. Hopefully the move on soon.

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    Yeah, its going on a few weeks now I think. There's a guy playing music in the Mall too. I assume the Gardai are moving them along, but most likely they just come back again. Hopefully the move on soon.

Not Roma this time,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Damokc

Hey guys. Long time since I've posted here. Just wondering if Walter Lyons take in furniture for cash/store credit? Got a used but good suite of furniture (corner unit with fold out bed + 1 + 1(swivel) ). It's an old style flowery patterned suite.Would like to get something for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Pirates Ale

Damokc wrote: »
    Hey guys. Long time since I've posted here. Just wondering if Walter Lyons take in furniture for cash/store credit? Got a used but good suite of furniture (corner unit with fold out bed + 1 + 1(swivel) ). It's an old style flowery patterned suite.Would like to get something for it.

Not trying to be negative, but even if he does buy it (which I very much doubt tbh), I would think the money would be very small,like lucky to get €20 small.

I didn't even know he bought furniture off customers.
    Maybe you'd be better off putting it up on adverts.ie or donedeal.

Did anyone here do the Darkness into Light walk this morning? It was meant o be a huge turnout again! Well done to all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭kerryked

Not sure if you have replaced it with a new suite but there are a few places around town that would re-upholster it for you and make it look newer, if that's what you're after

Advertisement