Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Damokc

kerryked wrote: »
    Not sure if you have replaced it with a new suite but there are a few places around town that would re-upholster it for you and make it look newer, if that's what you're after

It's a new build house and we got it from a relative so it a flowery suite of furniture wont suit. It was given to us for an upstairs living area that i have different plans for now. We have a new suite for the sitting room.
    I priced upholstering.....€1,800!!! Nearly the price of our new suite!!

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭kerryked

Damokc wrote: »
    It's a new build house and we got it from a relative so it a flowery suite of furniture wont suit. It was given to us for an upstairs living area that i have different plans for now. We have a new suite for the sitting room.
    I priced upholstering.....€1,800!!! Nearly the price of our new suite!!

Jaysus, didn't think it would cost that much. Fair enough I guess it's not really economical then.

If Walter Lyons' aren't going to give you anything much for it I'm sure SVP or some other local charity shop would be delighted to take it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Oh guess who's playing the festival this year.....Nathan Carter.....AGAIN!! It's a feckin annual event for him now!

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    Oh guess who's playing the festival this year.....Nathan Carter.....AGAIN!! It's a feckin annual event for him now!

That Wagonwheel must be falling asunder at this stage it's been rocked so many times

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Erik Shin

Nathan Carter and the Ronan Collins showband are the 2 big draws for the festival....i kinda hope the council are working 24hrs a day on the mall that week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 Tippinkerry

I heard most of the entertainment will be in the dome this year, not in the streets. Anybody else hear that?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Erik Shin wrote: »
    Nathan Carter and the Ronan Collins showband are the 2 big draws for the festival....i kinda hope the council are working 24hrs a day on the mall that week

Rock breakers on full blast

No rock to break just have them there anyway :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Pirates Ale

I heard most of the entertainment will be in the dome this year, not in the streets. Anybody else hear that?
    Didnt hear it but it would make more sense than messing around charging people to go in the square.:rolleyes:

Didnt hear it but it would make more sense than messing around charging people to go in the square.:rolleyes:

Especially as it's rubbish than nobody under the age of 55 or isn't from an ethnic background would want to watch anyways

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Clab mor

Yeah It looks that way from the rose of tralee website.

Pity.... town will take a bit of a hit as it looks like no concerts are taking place in the town this year???

The ticket prices are also higher as a result of them being in the dome by the looks of things!!

The only thing about Nathan and the the shownands is they sell!!! Nathan booked out the INEC this weekend and I believe he's doing 2017 New Years there also. He's a no brainer in terms of bums on seats and making a few quid. Tralee locals in general seem to poorly support things especially if there not free. Nathan attracts a wider audience than just tralee so that goes a long way in selling tickets.

I also see the festival are looking for Volounteers this year!? Might be an opportunity for locals unhappy with the festival to make a change.

• Advertisement

Funny you think that.... Locals are the people who fill the dome most nights, who shell out as businesses to be partners for the Rose of Tralee...And in return get... Nothing...We tolerate it because it brings in revenue to bars, hotels and cafes..And certain individuals... a lot of shops could nearly shut as the week means people stay away from town unless they really have to come into town
    I've always wondered why there is never any entertainment organised for manor ......

Funny you think that.... Locals are the people who fill the dome most nights, who shell out as businesses to be partners for the Rose of Tralee...And in return get... Nothing...We tolerate it because it brings in revenue to bars, hotels and cafes..And certain individuals... a lot of shops could nearly shut as the week means people stay away from town unless they really have to come into town
    I've always wondered why there is never any entertainment organised for manor ......

Incorrect ...bar actual locals night the selection nights, rose ball, fashion show etc are mainly supported from people outside the town and more often that not the county.

I commend any business that supports the festival but I don't agree that business don't get anything in return???

Businesses get footfall..... if a business feels there getting nothing from it no one holds a gun to their head to contribute,

Every hotel b&b and hostel are booked out for the weekend of the festival all these people at some point or another will stroll through the town if a business doesn't make a few extra quid during festival week then the business is clearly doing something wrong.

You ask any of the businesses in town, the week of the festival is a bit of a write off...but it's tolerated as I have already said.....but the one thing that we need is clarity on money's donated and raised, to see where it all goes...no transparency on that at all

You ask any of the businesses in town, the week of the festival is a bit of a write off...but it's tolerated as I have already said.....but the one thing that we need is clarity on money's donated and raised, to see where it all goes...no transparency on that at all

But surely a business can't be worse off because of the festival there must be some benefit to the business given the increase in visitors to the town.

When you say a right off in what way would a business suffer as a result of the festival??

Clab mor wrote: »
    But surely a business can't be worse off because of the festival there must be some benefit to the business given the increase in visitors to the town.

When you say a right off in what way would a business suffer as a result of the festival??

Little or no trade....locals stay away from town the week of the festival during business hours unless it's unavoidable...on the plus side...it's always a good time to take holiday's

I think it all depends on the business.

Obviously Garvey's, petrol stations, delis etc will do a roaring trade with people passing in an out, getting ice cream and all the rest of it.

But places like shoe shops or smaller clothes shops would probably suffer. If I was coming down from up the country for the festival the last thing I'd want to be doing is going into shops that you would find anywhere.

A lot of builders around the town would take their holidays to coincide with the festival too, so places like builder's providers wouldn't be rushed off their feet.

As I said, depends on the line of business.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,092 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Ah lads. Nathan Carter.

I think it all depends on the business.

Obviously Garvey's, petrol stations, delis etc will do a roaring trade with people passing in an out, getting ice cream and all the rest of it.

But places like shoe shops or smaller clothes shops would probably suffer. If I was coming down from up the country for the festival the last thing I'd want to be doing is going into shops that you would find anywhere.

A lot of builders around the town would take their holidays to coincide with the festival too, so places like builder's providers wouldn't be rushed off their feet.

As I said, depends on the line of business.

Sure that goes for every festival not just the rose of tralee??

Naturally there will be a target market but no festival in Ireland has crowds that support shoe shops or builders providers!!!

I really don't understand the constant negativity towards the festival just because it may not benefit a minority of trade doesn't mean it's a right off or poor for the town.

It's about the same as the whinging from business owners re the development of the town centre. It will inevitably be good for the town ......get over a little disruption and move on stop complaining.

Killarney had High Street done to something similar to tralee a while back and there wasn't half as much nonsense. They realise the long term benefits of things.

Naturally there will be a target market but no festival in Ireland has crowds that support shoe shops or builders providers!!!

I really don't understand the constant negativity towards the festival just because it may not benefit a minority of trade doesn't mean it's a right off or poor for the town.

It's about the same as the whinging from business owners re the development of the town centre. It will inevitably be good for the town ......get over a little disruption and move on stop complaining.

Killarney had High Street done to something similar to tralee a while back and there wasn't half as much nonsense. They realise the long term benefits of things.

I'm not being negative towards the festival at all.

I was just responding to your comment "But surely a business can't be worse off because of the festival ", I've just pointed out some businesses that, imo, would be worse off because of the festival.

No one said the festival itself was a write off or bad for the town, someone mentioned that it was a write off for certain businesses and I've just tried to give examples of those businesses, that's all

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,777 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

I'm not being negative towards the festival at all.

I was just responding to your comment "But surely a business can't be worse off because of the festival ", I've just pointed out some businesses that, imo, would be worse off because of the festival.

No one said the festival itself was a write off or bad for the town, someone mentioned that it was a write off for certain businesses and I've just tried to give examples of those businesses, that's all

Just because a business sees a drop in custom during the festival doesn't mean that it's actually worse off at the end of the year because much, if not most, of that drop in custom is accounted for by customers making planned purchases before or after the festival that they otherwise might have made during the period of the festival.

The only lost trade that can't be recouped is incidental trade but I'm not sure what businesses in town would be reliant on the incidental trade of locals but not visitors.

• Advertisement

Well lads all I'll say is...you can't make up money if people don't come into the store....and add to the fact that passing trade has dropped by 15-20% on the mall... you'll see what that will mean to the town by Xmas

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

No one is being negative toward the festival. It seems every time anyone says anything that isn't all sweetness & nice towards it, we are accused of knocking it or being negative towards it! It's a great asset to the town, but a lot of changes are needed! That's all we are saying!

And retailers are quite entitled to moan about the drop in trade during the road works. We all know it will be good in the long run, but 7 months of disruption is a long time & a lot of businesses can't afford to loose trade like that. It's not always about doing something wrong! Plenty of business owners can have a good business but there can be other reasons why there can be problems within a business.

Whats the latest with the building of this conference centre next to the Rose Hotel?

Whats the latest with the building of this conference centre next to the Rose Hotel?

I was wondering about that recently. I haven't heard a thing about it since last year!

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    I was wondering about that recently. I haven't heard a thing about it since last year!

I think it was due to be finished this year,red tape I suppose holing things up

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Brock Stevens

I was on a job website today and saw an advert for a sales assistant "internship" 2 positions available for a 10 week period over the summer. Unpaid work with a certificate and reference provided at the end. This is an unpaid position. Interest in fashion required, so clothes, shoe or accessories shop?? This makes me angry. 2 people (students) working a summer job for free. I woukd love to be able to name and shame that particular shop. Imagine how abused those poor "interns" will be. Worse than slave labour. What use is a certificate from a random shop for future employment. Is it just me that this angers??

I was on a job website today and saw an advert for a sales assistant "internship" 2 positions available for a 10 week period over the summer. Unpaid work with a certificate and reference provided at the end. This is an unpaid position. Interest in fashion required, so clothes, shoe or accessories shop?? This makes me angry. 2 people (students) working a summer job for free. I woukd love to be able to name and shame that particular shop. Imagine how abused those poor "interns" will be. Worse than slave labour. What use is a certificate from a random shop for future employment. Is it just me that this angers??

Definitely not just you it angers.

To me, an internship should give you a realistic chance of getting a job within the company when it's finished. If the internship doesn't work out for whatever reason and they don't offer you a job then that's fine.

But what you've described here is frankly insulting to students, or anyone for that matter, looking for work for the summer. Even to call it an 'internship' isn't really on imo. You'd basically be given all the shifts everyone else doesn't want to do, won't receive a cent and probably be expected to be grateful that you get a 'certificate' and a reference at the end of it.

Was the shop in question in Tralee or elsewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Brock Stevens

Yeah a shop in tralee. A local shop who im sure cry out that there isn't enough parking and that the locals need to support them more. But who in turn have no intention of supporting the locals by actually proving paid jobs. Misers.

Yeah a shop in tralee. A local shop who im sure cry out that there isn't enough parking and that the locals need to support them more. But who in turn have no intention of supporting the locals by actually proving paid jobs. Misers.

Saw the ad you're referring to. Could've sworn I saw a notice up on that shop window for part-time positions available only a few weeks ago. What a kick in the teeth it'd be if you went in to apply and were told it was a 10 week unpaid 'internship'.

Laughable, but sad if they can get away with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭The_Mac

Man why is it every time someone says something even slightly negative about Tralee or the festival you seem to show up and shout them down, especially when in regard to business in the town.

Advertisement