Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Tippinkerry

Businesses in the non hospitality sectors see their footfall and sales fall away for the week of the festival. The only businesses to benefit are hotels , pubs etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Clab mor

Businesses in the non hospitality sectors see their footfall and sales fall away for the week of the festival. The only businesses to benefit are hotels , pubs etc.

So you reckon penneys byrnesworth garveys coffee shops etc don't see benefit?? These are non hospitality sectors???

The_Mac wrote: »
    Man why is it every time someone says something even slightly negative about Tralee or the festival you seem to show up and shout them down, especially when in regard to business in the town.

No one is shouting anyone down..... i comment on what Interests me, most of the ****e chat on here is nonsense but when I see something of interest like people putting down the festival or moaning about the town I comment......

It is my opinion which I am entitled to, that many (but not all) tralee locals and businesss don't appreciate what the festival does for the town and is quiet intent on putting it down and selling it as bad for the town. Not just on here but on social media in the press word of mouth etc......

Businesses and locals in Tralee town are at times the biggest whingers in Ireland.

The council are investing huge amounts of money in our town redeveloping it to make it look better.

First the businesses held up the process with meetings by bitching about parking and taxi ranks which had already been passed during the consultation process months before hand.

Now that it's finally underway there moaning about the disruption, what did they think was gona happen...... little fairies come in and night with silent rock breakers and do the work while everyone is asleep.

We have Facebook groups like "save tralee" where the admins think they have a right and a mandate to speak on behalf of Tralee people with mainly negative comments and misinformed info.

Businesses and locals need to row in behind our council, councillors and festivals and look on them favourably and support the decisions made!!!

We all have a common goal to see Tralee do well and thrive I'm sure nobody goes out of there way to make things awkward for businesses or locals, be that councils or festivals committees. They all believe they are making the right decisions and helping do good for the town.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Clab mor wrote: »
    No one is shouting anyone down..... i comment on what Interests me, most of the ****e chat on here is nonsense but when I see something of interest like people putting down the festival or moaning about the town I comment......

It is my opinion which I am entitled to, that many (but not all) tralee locals and businesss don't appreciate what the festival does for the town and is quiet intent on putting it down and selling it as bad for the town. Not just on here but on social media in the press word of mouth etc......

Businesses and locals in Tralee town are at times the biggest whingers in Ireland.

The council are investing huge amounts of money in our town redeveloping it to make it look better.

First the businesses held up the process with meetings by bitching about parking and taxi ranks which had already been passed during the consultation process months before hand.

Now that it's finally underway there moaning about the disruption, what did they think was gona happen...... little fairies come in and night with silent rock breakers and do the work while everyone is asleep.

We have Facebook groups like "save tralee" where the admins think they have a right and a mandate to speak on behalf of Tralee people with mainly negative comments and misinformed info.

Businesses and locals need to row in behind our council, councillors and festivals and look on them favourably and support the decisions made!!!

We all have a common goal to see Tralee do well and thrive I'm sure nobody goes out of there way to make things awkward for businesses or locals, be that councils or festivals committees. They all believe they are making the right decisions and helping do good for the town.

And just like you can have an opinion (which only seems to be about the same thing...seeing as the rest of what we talk about is so boring to you!), we are also allowed to voice concerns or opinions too! And the town isn't full of whingers. The committee who voiced concerns over the works in town were full of business people and taxi owners who were worried about the plans and had the right to be! The plans were changed too based on those concerns, so they were valid!

We are all looking forward to the town looking well when the works are finished, no one is disputing that. But we can disagree with decisions that are made. Especially when it's a business who has to pay ridiculous rates, and has to worry about their trade being affected

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,779 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Nothing unique to businesses in Tralee though. The business community in Castleisland held up the bypass for years and businesses in Listowel are currently whinging about the bypass of that town.

But Dublin takes the biscuit where business interests are doing everything possible to scupper the fantastic transformation of the city centre because sure Mary from Foxrock must be able to drive right in to Brown Thomas in her disgusting tank of an SUV.

Would make your blood boil. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭The_Mac

So basically what you're saying is you're entitled to your opinion, and anyone who has a different opinion is wrong. And what kind of ****e are you talking about with "save Tralee" thinking they speak for all of Tralee? They just have an opinion for saving Tralee businesses. Nowhere on their page do they say they speak for everyone. That's like saying the group Tralee Do You Know asks the questions everyone in Tralee was wanting to ask.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

So basically what you're saying is you're entitled to your opinion, and anyone who has a different opinion is wrong. And what kind of ****e are you talking about with "save Tralee" thinking they speak for all of Tralee? They just have an opinion for saving Tralee businesses. Nowhere on their page do they say they speak for everyone. That's like saying the group Tralee Do You Know asks the questions everyone in Tralee was wanting to ask.

Totally agree!!

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    Totally agree!!

God it's been a long time since I remember the Save Tralee yoke on this thread but from what I remember he was ranting about how they should have gone to the council and they should be shut down by the gardaí for the page lol

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Tippinkerry

So you reckon penneys byrnesworth garveys coffee shops etc don't see benefit?? These are non hospitality sectors???
    Do you think heatons, minx even Easons see a benefit? And no Penneys trade actually falls off during the festival.

You are completely incorrect as they are two different type pages. One is a group the other is a page.

The page "save tralee" is set up so that the admin or admins are disguised under that name "save tralee" it is not a group.

All comments are made by the page Under the guise of "save tralee".

Tralee do you know is a group and doesn't ask any questions or make posts it is the individuals who are identifiable that post and make comments and ask the questions.

So your completely getting your wire crossed!!!

Save tralee page are known for comments such as "tralee town is disappointed to learn" "we at save tralee think....." clearly the page thinks they are speaking on behalf of someone. Silly pages like this are unconstructive and do nothing to help the town.

There is a chamber of commerce in place for a reason.

• Advertisement

Do you think heatons, minx even Easons see a benefit? And no Penneys trade actually falls off during the festival.

Yes I do actually and call into penny's Saturday or the festival you'll hardly get up the stairs

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭kerryked

You are completely incorrect as they are two different type pages. One is a group the other is a page.

The page "save tralee" is set up so that the admin or admins are disguised under that name "save tralee" it is not a group.

All comments are made by the page Under the guise of "save tralee".

Tralee do you know is a group and doesn't ask any questions or make posts it is the individuals who are identifiable that post and make comments and ask the questions.

So your completely getting your wire crossed!!!

Save tralee page are known for comments such as "tralee town is disappointed to learn" "we at save tralee think....." clearly the page thinks they are speaking on behalf of someone. Silly pages like this are unconstructive and do nothing to help the town.

To be honest I think you're distracted from the original issue.

I wouldn't pay much attention to any of these unofficial pages on facebook as you have said, anyone can set them up. If you set up a "Tralee is great" page, I would pay about as much attention to it as I pay to "Save Tralee". We all know no one on facebook has a mandate, as you say, to speak on behalf of the town. All these things have to be taken with a pinch of salt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Erik Shin

We do not have a chamber of commerce in Tralee...it was disbanded some years ago as it was at the very least, morally corrupt....we now have a chamber alliance....and it doesn't have the support of the majority of business people in Tralee ...anyone want to hazard a guess why?

Erik Shin wrote: »
    We do not have a chamber of commerce in Tralee...it was disbanded some years ago as it was at the very least, morally corrupt....we now have a chamber alliance....and it doesn't have the support of the majority of business people in Tralee ...anyone want to hazard a guess why?

Apologises I it was te chamber alliance I was referring to.

kerryked wrote: »
    To be honest I think you're distracted from the original issue.

I wouldn't pay much attention to any of these unofficial pages on facebook as you have said, anyone can set them up. If you set up a "Tralee is great" page, I would pay about as much attention to it as I pay to "Save Tralee". We all know no one on facebook has a mandate, as you say, to speak on behalf of the town. All these things have to be taken with a pinch of salt

The problem is people do pay attention to pages such as "save tralee".

And they row in behind them like a social media lynch mob with no proper facts and misinformation.

Some of the silly comments that follow very badly written posts with hashtags and emoji's can be very derogatory.

When the trees were cut down in the town centre people lost the plot in the page. There was zero facts about why they were cut down and there is no mechanism for officials clarify.

Do people think that a council official woke up one morning and said "hey I think ill give the go ahead to cut down all the trees in the mall today I'm sure that'll rightly piss off the locals and business." There were reasons behind it which many people didn't bother to ask or investigate instead they just went on the save tralee page joined the band wagon and bashed the town its council and anyone to do with the decision.

Social media lynch mob at its best.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Listowel Man

The problem is people do pay attention to pages such as "save tralee".

And they row in behind them like a social media lynch mob with no proper facts and misinformation.

Some of the silly comments that follow very badly written posts with hashtags and emoji's can be very derogatory.

When the trees were cut down in the town centre people lost the plot in the page. There was zero facts about why they were cut down and there is no mechanism for officials clarify.

Social media lynch mob at its best.
    i was in Tralee yesterday i did some shopping it is a lovely place

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    Totally agree!!

in fairness instead of totally agreeing you could do with enforcing the rules......

Personal abuse is not tolerated under any circumstances; if you have a point to make you can do so without resorting to petty insults

kn wrote: »
    An older guy got beaten up at 8pm (broad daylight) just over a week ago in the Denny St archway by a gang of minority ethnic status (as I suppose we should call them now) youths. It was all caught on CCTV.......they are claiming self defence!!
    their ethnic status is irrelevant

You seem to have an axe to grind

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Last I checked the constituency was Kerry not Tralee

Last I checked the constituency was Kerry not Tralee
    it makes your town look bad :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

it makes your town look bad :(

Are you telling me Sinn Fein get no vote in Listowel,they seem to do well there as well,as Robert Beasley always gets voted in the council elections and they got another candidate in there the last time out as well

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,779 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Erik Shin wrote: »

It represents its members for good or ill. If the majority of businesses in Tralee were members, then undoubtedly it would represent the sum of their opinion.

But I think maybe some business people in this town are too tight to pay for chamber membership!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

Ignore Listowel Man. He popped up on a rugby forum stirring the exact same sh*te last week and got banned shortly after. He's a troll.

in fairness instead of totally agreeing you could do with enforcing the rules......

Personal abuse is not tolerated under any circumstances; if you have a point to make you can do so without resorting to petty insults

TO be fair I didn't spot that small bit! Sorry! But it's not personal abuse, and he looks to be copying your comment "most of the ****e chat on here..."

Please don't back seat moderate. If I see something is breaking board rules I will deal with it.

ListowelMan please do not bring up politics or anything to do with IRA or sign fein here or in the Kerry forum again. Mod

Bud, why is it when someone disagrees with you you seem to want to censor them? There was my comment, and how you think Save Tralee should be shut down. People are allowed different opinions.

Yes we have a chamber of alliance and council, but they won't do anything if they are not pushed to, like protests from the Save Tralee page. Should protesting be banned now because they should've all just rang up the chamber of alliance instead?

Also on a side note, just looked up Save Tralee on Facebook and they're praising recent town achievements. The only negative thing in the last few days is the council saying that the construction in the Town centre will cause no traffic disruption, which is bull, and they ask what people's thoughts are. Nowhere do I see them speaking for "the whole of Tralee"

If you don't like a page on Facebook don't LIKE it! Simple!!

Bud, why is it when someone disagrees with you you seem to want to censor them? There was my comment, and how you think Save Tralee should be shut down. People are allowed different opinions.

Yes we have a chamber of alliance and council, but they won't do anything if they are not pushed to, like protests from the Save Tralee page. Should protesting be banned now because they should've all just rang up the chamber of alliance instead?

What in the name of god are you taking about??? I'm not trying to sensor anyone. As the saying goes "opinions are like arseholes, everyone has one", and more importantly everyone is entitled to one.

They problem occurs when these opinions are from people with misinformation or when they are just using pages like save tralee to bash tralee and the town for the sake of it. The opinions are of no use as they are misinformed and can be quite damaging to the town and sometimes even individuals.

When did I say Save Tralee should be shut down???

• Advertisement

Save Tralee doesn't bash the town. And it doesn't speak for the town. It was set up by a number of business individuals in town, not just one. Just give it a rest About the page now!

Advertisement