Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭kev_Makaveli

I'm sure there's a text article in there somewhere.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Quackster wrote: »
    Hats off to Terry O'Brien for securing the funding. It's a wonderful amenity.

Now all that's missing is a cafe at the Basin end.

That would be lovely! With some outside seating etc!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Has anyone here done the North Kerry Way? You would never hear anything about it when they are discussing walks and hiking on the Radio Kerry,its all Killarney and South Kerry walks that get the attention

http://www.irishtrails.ie/trail/north-kerry-way/26/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Erik Shin

Quackster wrote: »
    Ciarrai76 said it was set up by business people.

I'm not sure where you're going with your last sentence. Comes across as glib and patronising.

Well, when you try to call people spineless cowards without any evidence bar 3rd hand information supposedly about a Facebook page I'm afraid you can't expect your post to be taken too seriously now can you

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Listowel Man

i just came back from Tralee

did some shopping

i love the place

• Advertisement

Anyone heading towards Banna and Ballyheigue in the coming weeks bit of info here for you,the road is closing to facilitate work on the new Ardfert Sewerage Scheme

http://www.kerrycoco.ie/en/allservices/roads/roadclosures/title,13363,en.html

http://www.radiokerry.ie/criticism-two-week-closure-main-road-ardfert/

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Erik Shin wrote: »
    Well, when you try to call people spineless cowards without any evidence bar 3rd hand information supposedly about a Facebook page I'm afraid you can't expect your post to be taken too seriously now can you

:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Has anyone here done the North Kerry Way? You would never hear anything about it when they are discussing walks and hiking on the Radio Kerry,its all Killarney and South Kerry walks that get the attention

http://www.irishtrails.ie/trail/north-kerry-way/26/

I've done the Kerry Head loop section, starting and finishing in Ballyheigue. Very nice and the views across to Clare on a good day are fantastic.

I remember it featured on Tracks and Trails a while back. Think it was Plastic Sheeting doing the walk!

Due to selfish vested interests, we're in the stone age here in terms of long-distance way-marked trails compared to the joys at the other end of the Holyhead and Rosslare ferries but I do agree that much of what we have is under-utilised.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

http://www.radiokerry.ie/approval-given-next-phase-mitchels-regeneration-project-tralee/

Just reading this. While it's great to see the Mitchels area being improved, I do wonder if spending 4 million on 15 houses, working out at 266K per house is the best use of taxpayers funds?   There are loads of fine second hand 3 or 4 bedroom houses on the market that are in good condition for anyone for under 200K.

duplicate post deleted

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

I saw this notice from the council on the Kerrymans Facebook page.

A MESSAGE FROM KERRY COUNTY COUNCIL:

Parallel parking on Denny Street, Tralee:

Ahead of the introduction of a new two-way traffic flow on Denny Street, Tralee, later this month, parallel parking will come into effect on the street this weekend.

The street will be lined for parallel parking over the coming days, replacing the existing perpendicular parking arrangements. Cars will park parallel to the kerb/footpaths under the new arrangements.

The new arrangements will come into effect from this Saturday, 13 May ahead of the introduction of the two-way traffic flow on Monday, 22 May from 6.00am.

Motorists are asked to please observe the new parking provisions from this weekend which will be monitored by traffic wardens.

Works are currently proceeding to schedule on Denny Street and the Mall.

Further updates ahead of the introduction of the two-way system will be provided in the media and social media.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭phater phagan

I'm really enjoying the traffic-less Mall. I know that it's only for a short time, but it would be great if the Mall was pedestrianised. Only dream for sure, but one can dream.

I'm really enjoying the traffic-less Mall. I know that it's only for a short time, but it would be great if the Mall was pedestrianised. Only dream for sure, but one can dream.

Out of pure habit I am still looking to see of a car is coming when I cross over! Strange having no traffic there! I wonder how the taxis are getting on being down by Boots?

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    Out of pure habit I am still looking to see of a car is coming when I cross over! Strange having no traffic there! I wonder how the taxis are getting on being down by Boots?

Going by the story in the Kerrys Eye the taxis arent too happy down there

They want to have the rank in the lower Mall like they have during the festival

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭Jimmyireland

So that they can Double Park and clog up the whole town again ??

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭hanamandiol

I think that you and i should run this town !!! Have been saying this for 20 years

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭The_Mac

I think that you and i should run this town !!! Have been saying this for 20 years

Problem being is traffic congestion in other parts of the town because of it though... God help the businesses, the father was talking to the lad inside Paddy Mac's and he was seriously pissed about how the constant jackhammering was driving business away. Have to agree though, why go to a pub where you have to endure construction if you're going for a pint in the afternoon when you can go someplace like the Castle or the Sportsfield in peace.

The_Mac wrote: »
    Problem being is traffic congestion in other parts of the town because of it though... God help the businesses, the father was talking to the lad inside Paddy Mac's and he was seriously pissed about how the constant jackhammering was driving business away. Have to agree though, why go to a pub where you have to endure construction if you're going for a pint in the afternoon when you can go someplace like the Castle or the Sportsfield in peace.

Well unfortunately that's the issue.... Daily Grind the other day was shaking, people walking out and the poor girl behind the counter was getting a headache..... Der O'Sullivans was the same during the week....you've got to think that all cafes, bars etc are going to be affected for the next....6-12 months

Well unfortunately that's the issue.... Daily Grind the other day was shaking, people walking out and the poor girl behind the counter was getting a headache..... Der O'Sullivans was the same during the week....you've got to think that all cafes, bars etc are going to be affected for the next....6-12 months

So whats the alternative ???

The_Mac wrote: »

And the alternative is ??

• Advertisement

There is no alternative except to grin and bear it unfortunately and hope the long term gains when it is all finished will offset the short term pain. I live in Dublin and the city centre is an absolute mess at the moment with the north south Luas line being built. However, when it is completed by the end of the year, I think it will be worth it. Some streets are already finished and they look so much better then they ever did with the luas tracks and great looking road and footpath pavings.  Lets hope Tralee town centre looks great too!

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Clab mor

I passed the grand a couple of times during the week and people were sitting out the front sipping coffees and pints whilst there was diggers and trucks and noise etc!!!!

I think a lot of businesses are blowing it out of proportion. Using it as a poor mouth excuse to try and stimulate extra business which to be honest you can understand too. God loves a trier.

I've been in to paddy macs, the grand hotel, and teach beag for my lunches over the last few days and yes there was a bit of noise but nothing major.

The likes of Der Sullivan's and the Daily Grind are not even at the epicentre of the works yet so they best strap on the ear muffs and suck it up.

Denny Street looking very well this afternoon with surface almost completed and lines painted and all. Credit where credit is due.

Clab mor wrote: »
    I passed the grand a couple of times during the week and people were sitting out the front sipping coffees and pints whilst there was diggers and trucks and noise etc!!!!

I think a lot of businesses are blowing it out of proportion. Using it as a poor mouth excuse to try and stimulate extra business which to be honest you can understand too. God loves a trier.

I've been in to paddy macs, the grand hotel, and teach beag for my lunches over the last few days and yes there was a bit of noise but nothing major.

The likes of Der Sullivan's and the Daily Grind are not even at the epicentre of the works yet so they best strap on the ear muffs and suck it up.

Denny Street looking very well this afternoon with surface almost completed and lines painted and all. Credit where credit is due.

Pity you mentioned the Grand, just talking to someone who works there and business is down majorly this last week or so, you'd want to actually talk to people and not just make glib comments that make your posts seem quite silly

There's nothing stopping the council from carrying these works out in the morning...then breaking for 3 hours and continuing after 6...if they had the best interests of People in mind ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,412 ✭✭✭billbond4

Imagine the overtime bill for that !

billbond4 wrote: »
    Imagine the overtime bill for that !

Dublin county council work those hours....and thru the night... no reason that any council should be paid extra for working the same hours...but just split....

Dublin county council work those hours....and thru the night... no reason that any council should be paid extra for working the same hours...but just split....

It's not the council that are doing the works in Tralee. It's a private contractor!

Pity you mentioned the Grand, just talking to someone who works there and business is down majorly this last week or so, you'd want to actually talk to people and not just make glib comments that make your posts seem quite silly

Chill out lad did someone piss in your cornflakes this morning.......

How's ever you reiterated what I said in my original post!!

Businesses are saying that business is suffering as a result of the works but from what I can see from frequenting many of the business in town it doesn't look that way.

If your gullible enough to believe every word you hear than that's your perogative.

I prefer to make my own mind up rather than rely on idle gossip.

I think the businesses and traders are actually working the press and media very well in terms of getting it out there that it's business as usual for the town. Never before has the town centre shops been so prominent in the press and media. Front page of this weeks Kerryseye, haven't seen Kerryman yet.

Clab mor wrote: »
    Chill out lad did someone piss in your cornflakes this morning.......

How's ever you reiterated what I said in my original post!!

Businesses are saying that business is suffering as a result of the works but from what I can see from frequenting many of the business in town it doesn't look that way.

If your gullible enough to believe every word you hear than that's your perogative.

I prefer to make my own mind up rather than rely on idle gossip.

I think the businesses and traders are actually working the press and media very well in terms of getting it out there that it's business as usual for the town. Never before has the town centre shops been so prominent in the press and media. Front page of this weeks Kerryseye, haven't seen Kerryman yet.

Your eyesight isn't up to much, footfall is down, business is down approx 20-25% ... you're obviously paying attention to get real world going by your nonsensical posts

• Advertisement

Your eyesight isn't up to much, footfall is down, business is down approx 20-25% ... you're obviously paying attention to get real world going by your nonsensical posts

Can you edit your reply please so it makes sense......

I based my opinion on personal experience from frequenting the town most days for lunch and some mornings and afternoons for other business.

The percentages you quote above, are these official from a recent survey or just pulled out of the sky?

If they are official can you provide links to this info?

Advertisement