Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Erik Shin

Clab mor wrote: »
    Can you edit your reply please so it makes sense......

I based my opinion on personal experience from frequenting the town most days for lunch and some mornings and afternoons for other business.

The percentages you quote above, are these official from a recent survey or just pulled out of the sky?

If they are official can you provide links to this info?

Can you stop grandstanding ... perhaps actually ask the local businesses instead of presuming you know anything about business life in the town centre ;)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

I spoke to two different business owners today, who are right in the thick of it, and they are very concerned with trade being so down. One person said they have to reduce staff hours, that's the reality. Its all well & good saying it won't be for long, but businesses have overheads & bills to pay, and are quite entitled to be worried.
    I was in town Wednesday & today and it really seems very quiet around, especially for a Friday! Even a cafe I was in, whcih isn't in Denny Street, or the Mall, seemed very quiet compared to usual....again, especially for a Friday afternoon, which is usually very busy. I know this isn't going to last forever, and the town will look great when its all done, but I do think the contractors should be working longer hours to get this done faster. I still don't really get why the Mall is going to take over 6 months to complete? Denny street will be back open very soon, which is great.

There's a retail meeting next week in the Grand, Tuesday 16th May at 6pm. If anyone wants to attend email info@tralee.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Clab mor

Erik Shin wrote: »
    Can you stop grandstanding ... perhaps actually ask the local businesses instead of presuming you know anything about business life in the town centre ;)

Grandstanding??? Not familiar with the term??

Let's call a spade a spade if you think for one second business's in tralee are going to admit that business is doing ok despite the ongoing works you are a bigger fool than I originally thought!!!

Of course business owners are going to tell u trade is down.......... it's business 101.

As I said in a previous post don't be gullible enough to believe everything you hear!!

If you can back up your previous stated percentages with evidence in the form of an official survey than I'll admit I'm wrong but it looks like you can't.

So for now I'll stick with my own observations and experience rather than idle gossip and hearsay from businessmen like the owners of The Grand .Hotel who are among one of the wealthiest families in Tralee!!!

Grandstanding??? Not familiar with the term??

Let's call a spade a spade if you think for one second business's in tralee are going to admit that business is doing ok despite the ongoing works you are a bigger fool than I originally thought!!!

Of course business owners are going to tell u trade is down.......... it's business 101.

As I said in a previous post don't be gullible enough to believe everything you hear!!

If you can back up your previous stated percentages with evidence in the form of an official survey than I'll admit I'm wrong but it looks like you can't.

So for now I'll stick with my own observations and experience rather than idle gossip and hearsay from businessmen like the owners of The Grand .Hotel who are among one of the wealthiest families in Tralee!!!

So you're spouting absolute rubbish? At least we've cleared that much up, empty vessels and all that;)

So you're spouting absolute rubbish? At least we've cleared that much up, empty vessels and all that;)

Hmmmmm if you say so!

• Advertisement

Hmmmmm if you say so!

You see, We can agree on something!

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Pirates Ale

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    I spoke to two different business owners today, who are right in the thick of it, and they are very concerned with trade being so down. One person said they have to reduce staff hours, that's the reality. Its all well & good saying it won't be for long, but businesses have overheads & bills to pay, and are quite entitled to be worried.
    I was in town Wednesday & today and it really seems very quiet around, especially for a Friday! Even a cafe I was in, whcih isn't in Denny Street, or the Mall, seemed very quiet compared to usual....again, especially for a Friday afternoon, which is usually very quiet. I know this isn't going to last forever, and the town will look great when its all done, but I do think the contractors should be working longer hours to get this done faster. I still don't really get why the Mall is going to take over 6 months to complete? Denny street will be back open very soon, which is great.

There's a retail meeting next week in the Grand, Tuesday 16th May at 6pm. If anyone wants to attend email info@tralee.ie.

I was also in town today and noticed the same.
    I think its total nonsense to be claiming that the business owners are making false claims regarding a drop in business tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

Pity you mentioned the Grand, just talking to someone who works there and business is down majorly this last week or so, you'd want to actually talk to people and not just make glib comments that make your posts seem quite silly

Hahaha coming from your good self! I had a lovely lunch in the roast house today, once you're inside you would hardly notice it.

xxyyzz wrote: »
    Hahaha coming from your good self! I had a lovely lunch in the roast house today, once you're inside you would hardly notice it.

Funnily enough, never once did I mention the roast house ...

Funnily enough, never once did I mention the roast house ...

I assumed it was included in this quote given that it is currently in the heart of the roadworks
    you've got to think that all cafes, bars etc are going to be affected for the next....6-12 months

• Advertisement

I assumed it was included in this quote given that it is currently in the heart of the roadworks

You assumed incorrectly

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

I just saw on Facebook that Mozarts is changing owners. They just announced it saying farewell & thanks for the past 18 years (crazy how time has gone so fast!!). Not sure if they will keep the name.

I just saw on Facebook that Mozarts is changing owners. They just announced it saying farewell & thanks for the past 18 years (crazy how time has gone so fast!!). Not sure if they will keep the name.

'Mozarts Tapas' is the working name at the moment

'Mozarts Tapas' is the working name at the moment

I did hear something about there being tapas there! Looking forward to trying the new place out.

I did hear something about there being tapas there! Looking forward to trying the new place out.

It's a bit of a different second job for Karen Soffe though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭The_Mac

I prefer to make my own mind up rather than rely on idle gossip.

I think the businesses and traders are actually working the press and media very well in terms of getting it out there that it's business as usual for the town. Never before has the town centre shops been so prominent in the press and media. Front page of this weeks Kerryseye, haven't seen Kerryman yet.

In other words **** evidence heard from multiple sources, I saw people drinking outside the grand so business must be booming.

The_Mac wrote: »
    In other words **** evidence heard from multiple sources, I saw people drinking outside the grand so business must be booming.

No one said anything about business booming???

If your going to make an off the cuff uninformed comment at least have the decency to read over the previous posts.

No one said anything about business booming???

If your going to make an off the cuff uninformed comment at least have the decency to read over the previous posts.

To be inkeeping with some of the other shïte on here

To be inkeeping with some of the other shïte on here

Don't be so hard on yourself not all your posts are ****e.......

Don't be so hard on yourself not all your posts are ****e.......

True, very true...but yours are

• Advertisement

True, very true...but yours are

ha ha ha that's school yard stuff u must be very proud of yourself.......

ha ha ha that's school yard stuff u must be very proud of yourself.......

Tag...you're it!

;)

Now now, keep things a little more civil please!

Just back from a superb meal in Croi in the square, I'd highly recommend it. Best of luck to Kevin and Co. in there. Eric Shin, you'll be delighted to hear they are booked out for the evening :)

Just back from a superb meal in Croi in the square, I'd highly recommend it. Best of luck to Kevin and Co. in there. Eric Shin, you'll be delighted to hear they are booked out for the evening :)

Always liked the Stonehouse before the chef Mirek left and went to the butcher's in the horan centre.. After that it was only ok and Greg was fighting a losing battle I think...
    Hopefully the new reincarnation works well for the 3 lads and will be in there next week

I heard the guys behind New Yorkers are opening up in Monavalley, just in where the shop used to be at the entrance to Shanakill. Good catchment area, so best of luck to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Pirates Ale

I heard the guys behind New Yorkers are opening up in Monavalley, just in where the shop used to be at the entrance to Shanakill. Good catchment area, so best of luck to them.
    Saw a bit of work going on there lately alright. The Burger shack used to be the nearest one to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭bobdcow

Are MJ's and New Yorkers related to each other? Same owners or anything?? If they are and there is another incarnation of MJ's up that direction the Burger Shack will get a run for their money.

bobdcow wrote: »
    Are MJ's and New Yorkers related to each other? Same owners or anything?? If they are and there is another incarnation of MJ's up that direction the Burger Shack will get a run for their money.

No, MJ's is owned by Kevin Cotter, the previous diner there was owned by New Yorkers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭The_Mac

bobdcow wrote: »

If the chips are the same as New Yorkers I don't think Burger Shack will have anything to worry about.

Advertisement