Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭phater phagan

Yippee. Other people also would like to see the Mall liberated from traffic. Excellent idea.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

kn wrote: »
    I went to the first one and it was an excellent night's free entertainment. Not so sure about this one though. None of the names are jumping out at me.

I know who Gary Keane is. Really good local musician. Not sure of rest, bar one who I wouldn't have any interest in listening to!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Some great old photos of the town in this link. Some photos aren't really old but definitely from at least 15 years ago & shops I'd forgotten were around even then!
    http://www.traleephotocollection.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭hanamandiol

Does anybody think that the lack of grasscutting all around Tralee is an embarassment for the town.All approach roads need grass cut.I believe the bypass is to be cut by its construction company for some years-its deplorable.Ballycarthy roundabout and approach to townis very overgrown,along by ITT is embarassing.Come on KCC ,GET THE BASICS DONE

Does anybody think that the lack of grasscutting all around Tralee is an embarassment for the town.All approach roads need grass cut.I believe the bypass is to be cut by its construction company for some years-its deplorable.Ballycarthy roundabout and approach to townis very overgrown,along by ITT is embarassing.Come on KCC ,GET THE BASICS DONE

I was thinking that too. It looks so bad. Its gas cos eventhough my estate is private, the council do the grasscutting (thankfully), but they came in & cut it barely a week after it was done, and it had barely grown.
    They don't really do a great job though as they leave all the cut grass on the green, and never do the edging around the trees & walls so it looks shabby and the loose grass gets blown around & thrown everywhere by kids.

There are a lot of people who would gladly do that work and do a good job...and they could give work to unemployed if they are short on staff!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Clab mor

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    I was thinking that too. It looks so bad. Its gas cos eventhough my estate is private, the council do the grasscutting (thankfully), but they came in & cut it barely a week after it was done, and it had barely grown.
    They don't really do a great job though as they leave all the cut grass on the green, and never do the edging around the trees & walls so it looks shabby and the loose grass gets blown around & thrown everywhere by kids.

There are a lot of people who would gladly do that work and do a good job...and they could give work to unemployed if they are short on staff!

Count yourself lucky and you shouldn't be so ungrateful if you are getting it done for free. I also live in a private estate where the council DO NOT maintain our green areas.

We contribute 100 euro per year to a residents committee to maintain these area's with a private contractor. This is for grass cutting, weed spraying, tree maintenance etc.

No one is going to gladly do that work for anything les than the going rate.

There's equipment to purchase and maintain, petrol to run the equipment, insurance, vans and trailers to get the equipment to the estate and disposal of the grass cuttings.

Clab mor wrote: »
    Count yourself lucky and you shouldn't be so ungrateful if you are getting it done for free. I also live in a private estate where the council DO NOT maintain our green areas.

We contribute 100 euro per year to a residents committee to maintain these area's with a private contractor. This is for grass cutting, weed spraying, tree maintenance etc.

No one is going to gladly do that work for anything les than the going rate.

There's equipment to purchase and maintain, petrol to run the equipment, insurance, vans and trailers to get the equipment to the estate and disposal of the grass cuttings.

Ok relax would you! I never said I was ungrateful. I was just commenting on the previous persons post about the state of the grass cutting. We are very lucky our estate is maintained by the council. Don't come at me like that as if I've been rude in my post when I wasn't.
    You seem to want to pick on anything that is said on here.

Ok relax would you! I never said I was ungrateful. I was just commenting on the previous persons post about the state of the grass cutting. We are very lucky our estate is maintained by the council. Don't come at me like that as if I've been rude in my post when I wasn't.
    You seem to want to pick on anything that is said on here.

Anyone who moans about work they get done for free is ungrateful!

You clearly stated that the council don't do a good enough job in your estate for something that you are getting done for free and that probably shouldn't be happening anyway.

I was mearly pointing out that I felt your comments sounded ungrateful. Most other private estates in tralee have to look after these matters themselves at a cost per household.

Possibly if the council spent less time cutting your estates grass they might have more time to look after the public areas in the approach to Tralee.

Your civic duty could be enacted here by notifying the council that the estate is private and the green areas should be looked after by the residents.

You clearly stated that the council don't do a good enough job in your estate for something that you are getting done for free and that probably shouldn't be happening anyway.

I was mearly pointing out that I felt your comments sounded ungrateful. Most other private estates in tralee have to look after these matters themselves at a cost per household.

Possibly if the council spent less time cutting your estates grass they might have more time to look after the public areas in the approach to Tralee.

Your civic duty could be enacted here by notifying the council that the estate is private and the green areas should be looked after by the residents.

Ok I'll let them know you're not happy!

How should it not be happening if the developer passed it onto the council years ago!? Same as they did with the street lighting?

Go have a moan to the council yourself about all your grievances!

• Advertisement

How should it not be happening if the developer passed it onto the council years ago!? Same as they did with the street lighting?

Go have a moan to the council yourself about all your grievances!

I have nothing to moan to the council about?

You are the one moaning that the council haven't been doing a good enough job in your estate for FREE!!'

I'm perfectly happy with my estate's arrangement 100 euro is small money to keep the greens and trees maintained to a very high standard.

We can't all expect everything for nothing!!!

When the council take over an estate from a developer they take charge of certain facilities waste water, lighting, roads, footpaths, sewers, fire hydrants and a few others. They will incorporate and maintain these as required.

Grass cutting or maintenance of grass verges is not carried out by the local authority.

I'm sure if you take the time to check the Kerry Co Co website it will state exactly that.

I have nothing to moan to the council about?

You are the one moaning that the council haven't been doing a good enough job in your estate for FREE!!'

I'm perfectly happy with my estate's arrangement 100 euro is small money to keep the greens and trees maintained to a very high standard.

When the council take over an estate from a developer they take charge of certain facilities waste water, lighting, roads, footpaths, sewers, fire hydrants and a few others. They will incorporate and maintain these as required.

Grass cutting or maintenance of grass verges is not carried out by the local authority.

I'm sure if you take the time to check the Kerry Co Co website it will state exactly that.

I didn't say I expect it all for nothing!!!!!

Lets just leave it now ok!

I didn't say I expect it all for nothing!!!!!

Lets just leave it now ok!

I said WE not YOU........:confused:

But glad to leave it there.....:rolleyes:

There is point to point horse racing at Ballybeggan racecourse on Saturday 27th May, first race is 2pm.

There is due to be Plenty to do on the day! Horseracing, A Dog show, Craft Stalls, Music, Pony rides, Bouncycastle, Facepainting, Kids Sand Art, Clay Fun Art, Hot food Catering & Full Bar!

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭manoverboards

That was the plan, the one they got the money for, every thing else seems to have been dropped except resurfacing the mall, 2 way'in Denny Street and taring the canal, a shame really.
    Does anybody else feel that they should pedestrianise the mall during the day once it's done up? From 10.30 or 11 am till 5.30 or 6 pm perhaps. With Denny street going two way next week. The only traffic I can see it inconveniencing would be the traffic from caherslee.

Every pedestrianised shopping street in the world manages to get morning deliveries, it's not like there's anything ground breaking here.
    I cant see the shops agreeing to 24/7. Early morning having it open allows deliveries.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭manoverboards

It's great for the bird's and the bee's...

Here are a few ideas of things to do this weekend! Don't forget the Fleadh Cheoil is also on!
    http://traleetoday.ie/seven-things-weekend/

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

That was the plan, the one they got the money for, every thing else seems to have been dropped except resurfacing the mall, 2 way'in Denny Street and taring the canal, a shame really.

Every pedestrianised shopping street in the world manages to get morning deliveries, it's not like there's anything ground breaking here.

There was never any plan to pedestrianise the Mall. That just wouldn't float with the businesses there. It's always been intended to have it as a shared space.

And what's been done is entirely dictated by the level of funding that's been allocated towards the Tralee Smarter Travel project by central government. More will be done as and when additional funding is made available.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭The_Mac

I said WE not YOU........:confused:

But glad to leave it there.....:rolleyes:

I always find it gas how the slightest criticism of the town or council sends you fuming

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Identying anyone by their real name is a dick move and a ban will always result

• Advertisement

It will be strange driving down from princes street to Denny street again after all these years! Wonder how many people will drive up the other lane thinking it's still one way! Lol

I wonder will they have a left turn signal at Ivy terrace and Princes St. for cars turning that way?

I just drove through town and noticed a lot of the taxis seem to have set up a rank in castle street. This would be fine if they weren't all illegally parked up on the footpath & on double yellow lines!

I know they aren't happy with their location at Side of Boots, but they can't just park up where they feel like it surely!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭fuerte1976

wnolan1992 wrote:
    Those heartless monsters in RTE, expecting a radio presenter to do outside broadcasts and do interviews.

Ciarrai76 wrote:
    I just drove through town and noticed a lot of the taxis seem to have set up a rank in castle street. This would be fine if they weren't all illegally parked up on the footpath & on double yellow lines!

Ciarrai76 wrote:
    I know they aren't happy with their location at Side of Boots, but they can't just park up where they feel like it surely!?

But shur, they've a sign on the roof so they're grand...

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

There's a good reason I will go to the ends of the Earth to avoid having to give a taxi my custom.

Hi Guys. I'm planning on taking the early train to Dublin next Sunday and I noticed from the IrishRail website that in order to get there I must transfer to a bus to Cork at the train station in Banteer, and then from there, take the train to Heuston. I'm curious, because there was no mention of line works scheduled on the IrishRail website, does anyone know if that is the case?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Hi Guys. I'm planning on taking the early train to Dublin next Sunday and I noticed from the IrishRail website that in order to get there I must transfer to a bus to Cork at the train station in Banteer, and then from there, take the train to Heuston. I'm curious, because there was no mention of line works scheduled on the IrishRail website, does anyone know if that is the case?

It's just a bus transfer between Banteer and Mallow, not Cork city,which is just one stop. Line maintenance usually takes place on Saturdays so there must be some work scheduled on that section only.

Did anyone hear anything about a new cheese shop opening in town? I think they are called Little shop of cheese & have another in Dingle. Does anyone know where it's based?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Erik Shin

Did anyone hear anything about a new cheese shop opening in town? I think they are called Little shop of cheese & have another in Dingle. Does anyone know where it's based?

It's down in the island of geese, near to Goose clothes shop

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,020 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

The boom is officially back.

Advertisement