Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Erik Shin wrote: »
    Not quite sure...7.20ish I think

Ok thanks. It didn't go off where I live, but I know work was quite possibly affected so need to make sure alarm is ok etc!

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

And inside the space of 10 minutes it cut off, can back..Cut off and came back again.... Heaven help me I can't take this excitement on a Sunday morning!

Well I'm glad I slept through all that excitement! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

It was discussed here before about Dunnes Stores policy of leaving their excess units closed and vacant instead of selling them on to prevent competitors from moving in, hence they long empty store on Bridge Street. Article below goes into more detail citing the Tralee example.

http://www.thejournal.ie/dunnes-stores-vacant-shops-3-3410126-May2017/?google_editors_picks=true

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭mikehn

Hi
    Not sure if this is the right place but I'm looking for suggestions regarding accommodation for my Son and Daughter for June July and August. Both of them are working in the town centre and would have to be within walking distance. Any of the places that they have tried are looking for long term lets:(
    Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭kerryked

mikehn wrote: »
    Hi
    Not sure if this is the right place but I'm looking for suggestions regarding accommodation for my Son and Daughter for June July and August. Both of them are working in the town centre and would have to be within walking distance. Any of the places that they have tried are looking for long term lets:(
    Thanks in advance

I would assume the student accommodation places would be letting for the summer? Sean Mhuileann and Kingscourt would be my first port of call if they haven't already tried there.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

mikehn wrote: »
    Hi
    Thanks in advance

Also try Tralee town centre apartments http://www.ttca.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭mikehn

Thanks Guys, good suggestions, will try them tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭Radio5

ongarboy wrote: »
    It was discussed here before about Dunnes Stores policy of leaving their excess units closed and vacant instead of selling them on to prevent competitors from moving in, hence they long empty store on Bridge Street. Article below goes into more detail citing the Tralee example.

http://www.thejournal.ie/dunnes-stores-vacant-shops-3-3410126-May2017/?google_editors_picks=true

Interesting. Ironically, they are central but landlocked in Killarney with very limited parking. I haven't heard of them looking to move or open a 2nd outlying store.

In other town centres, Ennis for example they built on a lot of the carpark to add space to the shop. Eventually they put up a multi-storey there as well.

Radio5 wrote: »
    Interesting. Ironically, they are central but landlocked in Killarney with very limited parking. I haven't heard of them looking to move or open a 2nd outlying store.

In other town centres, Ennis for example they built on a lot of the carpark to add space to the shop. Eventually they put up a multi-storey there as well.

In Killarney they were to be anchor tenants in the Torc shopping centre which didn't proceed due to the crash.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭Radio5

Oh I didn't know they were supposed to be going in there. What is happening with that site now I wonder, apart from the grass growing on it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭hanamandiol

Thought I saw this premises for sale in commercial section of property for sale website recently.Great if sold and developed

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭g1983d

Thought I saw this premises for sale in commercial section of property for sale website recently.Great if sold and developed

That's how they keep their rates low, say it's for sale but never accept a reasonable offer, council should take it over as an abandoned site

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

I see on the festival website that they have removed the 'Paid Concerts' in the Square like what they had last year. Anyone know what happened?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Erik Shin

kn wrote: »
    I see on the festival website that they have removed the 'Paid Concerts' in the Square like what they had last year. Anyone know what happened?

It was a balls up ..The traders in the square wouldn't have stood for it this year, but luckily the festival committee took this into consideration and decided not to hire anybody worth spending a euro on... Instead you can go to the dome and watch Ronan Collins and his fatass showband

It was a balls up ..The traders in the square wouldn't have stood for it this year, but luckily the festival committee took this into consideration and decided not to hire anybody worth spending a euro on... Instead you can go to the dome and watch Ronan Collins and his fatass showband

But their were 4 concerts listed for the Wed-Fri and Monday that are now gone.

Is that it? The only entertainment will be in the dome? The streets will be deserted!! Why couldn't they go back to Denny street? I had looked at the rose site last night & I was wondering why there was no street entertainment listed. I thought it was still to be announced! :eek:

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    Is that it? The only entertainment will be in the dome? The streets will be deserted!! Why couldn't they go back to Denny street? I had looked at the rose site last night & I was wondering why there was no street entertainment listed. I thought it was still to be announced! :eek:

Well the only 'ticketed' entertainment. Of course there still will be street entertainment but that has not been up to much in recent years.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Brock Stevens

g1983d wrote: »

That's how they keep their rates low, say it's for sale but never accept a reasonable offer, council should take it over as an abandoned site

I had heard they were reopening the town centre one but with drapery and clothing only. And a cafe too. Still waiting to see it happen though.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Clab mor

Ciarrai76 wrote: »

I heard in the news a while back that failte ireland pulled a lot of funding away from the festival so there was probably cuts to be made. Having said that I can't imagine the streets not having entertainment so possibly it's taking a different direction?? It's unlikely there'll be known headline acts if it's pushing more towards free entertainment though.

I also saw on Facebook that Bryan Carr isn't running the street side of things this year so maybe there are other changes ahead.

The square wasn't ideal last year a lot of traders put out which u can understand. The canopy was pretty cool however especially given the ****e weather.

Anyone know how the 65 odd roses will be whittled down to 32 this year given the ****e that was made of last year. There was murder about the RTÉ documentary.

I had heard they were reopening the town centre one but with drapery and clothing only. And a cafe too. Still waiting to see it happen though.

That's what they had there when it closed so I doubt they'll reopen it in that same format again unless they think there's been a good uplift in the local economy compared to when it closed (2009 was it?).

I had heard a while ago that they were planning to expand their Cafe Sol chain and that unit was possibly in the mix but it has come to nothing so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Clab mor

kn wrote: »
    But their were 4 concerts listed for the Wed-Fri and Monday that are now gone.

Don't suppose u can remember who they were ?? Be interesting to know what happened there!!

Clab mor wrote: »
    I heard in the news a while back that failte ireland pulled a lot of funding away from the festival so there was probably cuts to be made. Having said that I can't imagine the streets not having entertainment so possibly it's taking a different direction?? It's unlikely there'll be known headline acts if it's pushing more towards free entertainment though.

I also saw on Facebook that Bryan Carr isn't running the street side of things this year so maybe there are other changes ahead.

The square wasn't ideal last year a lot of traders put out which u can understand. The canopy was pretty cool however especially given the ****e weather.

Anyone know how the 65 odd roses will be whittled down to 32 this year given the ****e that was made of last year. There was murder about the RTÉ documentary.

I suppose we just have to wait & see what further announcements are made.

As for the roses, I don't know if they are still doing the qualifiers selection. I would assume so, but just not televising it.

Clab mor wrote: »
    Don't suppose u can remember who they were ?? Be interesting to know what happened there!!

Same crowd from last year for the Wed night 'rock the results' and Nathan Carter for the Monday I recollect. Carter is on the Dome Wed night instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

Best places in the town for few drinks on a Tuesday night?

Best places in the town for few drinks on a Tuesday night?

Sean Og's always has some live music or Baileys too.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭Kerry Gooner

Noticed a For Sale sign up on it yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭phater phagan

Yes stop animal. Sean Og's is very lively and friendly and the music is fab.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Noticed a For Sale sign up on it yesterday.
    That's interesting! I see Daft have advertised it as well so maybe Dunnes are finally offloading it. It would be great if a big name retailer took it on and finally give some life back to that stretch of the street.  I imagine it's too small for a Marks and Spencer but could easily house H&M or maybe Zara?
    The next problem is what to do with the god awful Tralee Shopping Centre next door that has tumble weed blowing through all the empty units. It's embarrassing that all you can purchase in that shopping centre is either a kebab, knitting needles or some new soles for your shoes!!

http://www.daft.ie/kerry/commercial-property-for-sale/retail-units-for-sale/bridge-street-tralee-kerry-441994/

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Forge83

That's interesting! I see Daft have advertised it as well so maybe Dunnes are finally offloading it. It would be great if a big name retailer took it on and finally give some life back to that stretch of the street.  I imagine it's too small for a Marks and Spencer but could easily house H&M or maybe Zara?
    The next problem is what to do with the god awful Tralee Shopping Centre next door that has tumble weed blowing through all the empty units. It's embarrassing that all you can purchase in that shopping centre is either a kebab, knitting needles or some new soles for your shoes!!

http://www.daft.ie/kerry/commercial-property-for-sale/retail-units-for-sale/bridge-street-tralee-kerry-441994/

Why aren't the units in the arcade even advertised for lease or sale? They should offer them for 6 months free with no rates for a few start ups to give them a chance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Erik Shin

The Tralee shopping centre has been sold, seems the owner is taking his time with what's being done....one unfounded rumour is that Elverys are looking at taking the hallmark card shop and the old Dallas shop beside it, with an upstairs unit also.....and ... completely unfounded and without basis...the same individual is interested in the Dunnes building

Advertisement