Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

What a beautiful day for Feile an Blath! Going to head down to it tomorrow with the baba!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭pickled101

I have to say changing Denny street to two-way traffic has really opened up the town and has to be good for business?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Was home at the weekend for the first time since the traffic changeover.  Yes, it does look better and already you can see what the street paving will look like in the Mall as it has been completed outside some of the shops. Looking forward to the finished product.  However, when driving down Ivy Terrace towards Princes Street,  the idiot driver before me didn't stop at the first red light well before Counihan's corner or immediately prior to the yellow box but proceeded to the actual corner (ie stalling on the yellow box).  This meant a van turning left from Fabric onto Ivy Terrace couldn't complete his manoeuvre.  No amount of beeping by the van would prompt the idiot to reverse to give the van clearance.  He appeared oblivious to the fact he was in the wrong.  I'm guessing this is a regular occurrence.....

• Registered Users Posts: 17,019 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Is the road near the surface car park (running along the underground car park) down from the Tesco express also called Ivy Terrace?

Was crossing the pedestrian lights there from the Park last week and a car turning left at this junction towards Denny St came straight through our Green Pedestrian light. Afterwards I had a look and if you are turning left there you cants see the red light, the 'Green Man' would be you only indication that you shouldnt be turning there.

An accident waiting to happen.

• Advertisement

Saw a guy right up at the top of the yellow box beside counahins the other day. Obviously another person who doesn't know what a yellow box means! Plenty of them around this town! Always see it on JJ Sheehy road when trying to turn into or out of Slatts carpark. There is usually some fool or two blocking it by stopping right in the yellow box! They always seem to avoid looking at you and pretend not to notice!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    Saw a guy right up at the top of the yellow box beside counahins the other day. Obviously another person who doesn't know what a yellow box means! Plenty of them around this town! Always see it on JJ Sheehy road when trying to turn into or out of Slatts carpark. There is usually some fool or two blocking it by stopping right in the yellow box! They always seem to avoid looking at you and pretend not to notice!

The one outside Pres on Castle Street is always blocked up as well at peak times for the school.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

Hey folks,
    Anyone have a notion where I would be able to pick up a Nintendo Switch around Kerry? It's the young fellas birthday this weekend and that's what he wants. Been trying to get one for the last three weeks and I keep being told that they will be in stock in the next "week or two". I have been trying all the big places (Argos, gamestop and Smyths) daily, and a lot of the other places that you would think might stock consoles (Tesco, harvey normans, currys etc) don't stock them, They have one in one of the second hand shops in town, but it's priced nearly 100 euro above retail. He knows they are hard to get at the moment, but I would love to have one for him on his actual birthday.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 17,019 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

oeb wrote: »
    Hey folks,
    Anyone have a notion where I would be able to pick up a Nintendo Switch around Kerry? It's the young fellas birthday this weekend and that's what he wants. Been trying to get one for the last three weeks and I keep being told that they will be in stock in the next "week or two". I have been trying all the big places (Argos, gamestop and Smyths) daily, and a lot of the other places that you would think might stock consoles (Tesco, harvey normans, currys etc) don't stock them, They have one in one of the second hand shops in town, but it's priced nearly 100 euro above retail. He knows they are hard to get at the moment, but I would love to have one for him on his actual birthday.

Cheers

I think you are out of luck really. Out of stock everywhere (even online from Amazon/Game etc) until mid July.

Dont buy the 2nd hand one, not worth it and probably no warranty with it.

Its worth waiting for besides buying something else if your kid is old enough to understand that.

oeb wrote: »
    Hey folks,

Cheers

I would give him a voucher for Smyth's so that when it comes back in stock he knows he can go buy one. I'm sure he will understand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Brock Stevens

Something I have noticed with the ivy terrace/princes street junction is if you have come down Denny street and are stopped at the lights on ivy terrace. When they go green the traffic starts moving. For the cars turning left towards the Brandon there is a sizeable pothole/uneven surface on the corner from some roadworks a couple of months ago. When drivers see this most will naturally slow down to avoid damaging car. If turning right to go by Dominicans sometimes there is traffic build up that won't be seen till you exit ivy terrace that also slows down traffic. Now imagine being the 2nd car behind them you enter the new box junction on a green light the cars in front slow down slightly then light goes red, what do you do continue onto princes street, which you can't see either way till you enter it or do you stop and wait for next green. Flaw in the system. Of course there still are some that just do as they always did and stop at the corner anyway. Just my opinion on the high volume of cars all the way up.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭bobdcow

I don't think all the drivers deliberately go as far as Counihans into the yellow box, when the lights turn red you can be easily caught, I think a timer would be handy on the countdown to red.

On another note I've seen it, if you don't pull right up to the traffic light at Four Star the traffic lights don't seem to recognise your there. We were stuck in a tail back at those lights last Sunday and there was approx a meter in it, between the van and the traffic light/sensor. It took an irate bus driver to get out of his bus and yell at the man before he would move up to the line, and then it turned green, straight away.

bobdcow wrote: »
    I don't think all the drivers deliberately go as far as Counihans into the yellow box, when the lights turn red you can be easily caught, I think a timer would be handy on the countdown to red.

On another note I've seen it, if you don't pull right up to the traffic light at Four Star the traffic lights don't seem to recognise your there. We were stuck in a tail back at those lights last Sunday and there was approx a meter in it, between the van and the traffic light/sensor. It took an irate bus driver to get out of his bus and yell at the man before he would move up to the line, and then it turned green, straight away.

There seems to be a lot of teething problems with those lights. They are still causing traffic delays. They really need to sort them out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Erik Shin

Seems the taxi drivers are on a bit of a go slow in town, lots of beeping of horns and slow procession thru town

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Erik Shin wrote: »
    Seems the taxi drivers are on a bit of a go slow in town, lots of beeping of horns and slow procession thru town

They were on about that on the radio this morning

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,092 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Anyone got a spare Kerry Gems? I asked the inlaws to keep me one, for our 2 week holiday in July, but they never bothered.

Gardai are looking for info about a hit & run in clash recently.

http://traleetoday.ie/gardai-investigate-hit-run-incident-young-girl-injured/

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭JB81

Just wondering if anyone has taken their little ones to attend the Lego camps, i seen them advertised on Facebook. Abbeydorney, Listowel, Ballylongford, Tralee I would presume as well.
    My son is 3.5 and there are no suitable summer camps for his age.

Has anyone any experience,

Also any mother baby groups or activities that any knows off, apart from the normal community run sessions?
    Anywhere in Tralee, Killarney or North Kerry?

JB81 wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone has taken their little ones to attend the Lego camps, i seen them advertised on Facebook. Abbeydorney, Listowel, Ballylongford, Tralee I would presume as well.
    My son is 3.5 and there are no suitable summer camps for his age.

Has anyone any experience,

Also any mother baby groups or activities that any knows off, apart from the normal community run sessions?
    Anywhere in Tralee, Killarney or North Kerry?

I've heard the lego groups are good. I think I know someone who's brought their son to it.

I have personally only done a baby massage group with my little one, but since then I've not really done anything else and he's almost 1.

I see the grass verges all the way from Forge Cross roundabout to Ballygarry roundabout are still overgrown & haven't been touched since we first mentioned it here at the start of May! It looks so bad. How do the council expect the town to improve in the tidy town status with that!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭SecretsOfEarth

Grass on bypass near IT could really do with attention too, it looks quite ridiculous with it being a major road in the town and approaching peak tourism season!

Grass on bypass near IT could really do with attention too, it looks quite ridiculous with it being a major road in the town and approaching peak tourism season!

Yeah that's where I'm talking about. It's awful looking. What is going on that it's being neglected so badly!?

Dublin Coach update

Attention: Stop location change for Tralee M7 service!

The new stop is in front of the Tralee Municipal District Office (County Council) building, directly across the road from our current stop.

We will start to use this stop from 1.00am this Thursday, the 29th June. There is no change to our departure or arrival times.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭SecretsOfEarth

Yeah that's where I'm talking about. It's awful looking. What is going on that it's being neglected so badly!?

Sorry yeah you were, I didn't read your post right and I thought you meant Castleisland road near Ballygarry. It's ridiculous at this stage, it looks worse because the grass inside the IT fences is so well maintained!!

Dublin Coach update

The new stop is in front of the Tralee Municipal District Office (County Council) building, directly across the road from our current stop.

We will start to use this stop from 1.00am this Thursday, the 29th June. There is no change to our departure or arrival times.

How are people meant to deal with this? Firstly the roadworks.... now this!! The town's gone mad I tell ya!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Dublin Coach update

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

How are people meant to deal with this? Firstly the roadworks.... now this!! The town's gone mad I tell ya!

Don't want to be interfering with Kerry Group's view.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

I agree. Having to cross the road is just madness I tells ye! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭theaceofspies

Now we really have proof of who runs this county 1. Kerry Group 2. the GAA (sponsored by No.1) 3. Anyone with vested interests in no.'s 1 & 2 (probably also beneficiaries/members of PS union) 4. the rest of Kerry's inhabitants

Perestroika Kerry stile. Is it any wonder out brightest and best emigrated a long time ago.

• Advertisement

Now we really have proof of who runs this county 1. Kerry Group 2. the GAA (sponsored by No.1) 3. Anyone with vested interests in no.'s 1 & 2 (probably also beneficiaries/members of PS union) 4. the rest of Kerry's inhabitants

Perestroika Kerry stile. Is it any wonder out brightest and best emigrated a long time ago.

How come you're still here oh wise one?

Advertisement