Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭bobdcow

I wonder will the taxi's move from outside heatons for the parade? They seem to have set up a rank there outside heatons/paddy macs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    Plus there's those big ramps on Denny street now which could be awkward for the floats!

If the floats could get through our pothole riddled streets I'm sure the little ramps on Denny Street won't pose a problem!

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Clab mor

g1983d wrote: »
    Poor alright this year and I'll say there will be some fun trying to get the floats down Denny street for the parade. The geniuses in charge will probably think of this on the day of the parade and use it as an excuse to have no parade and keep everything in the dome where they can charge entry

Well they charged last year and it didn't work out so now all the street acts are free???

Do u think all the entertainment in the dome should also be free???

Plus there's those big ramps on Denny street now which could be awkward for the floats!

Think that's what he was referring to !

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Pirates Ale

You could see roses going flying! Might be the most entertaining part of the event :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭g1983d

Clab mor wrote: »
    Poor alright this year and I'll say there will be some fun trying to get the floats down Denny street for the parade. The geniuses in charge will probably think of this on the day of the parade and use it as an excuse to have no parade and keep everything in the dome where they can charge entry

Well they charged last year and it didn't work out so now all the street acts are free???

Do u think all the entertainment in the dome should also be free???

Of course the dome shouldn't be free, what they put on is worth paying for if you are interested.

To me the festival is two separate parts, the dome which is profit making and the street entertainment which is loss making. I enjoy both parts, go to somethings in the dome and walking around the street to soak up a bit of atmosphere.
    The goodwill/community spirit that ran all the free events which drew a crowd is dying off more and more every year.
    It's kind of a vicious circle, less on means a smaller crowd which results in less on the following year.

If things were a bit more coordinated it might help, like the rose charity truck run that's on this weekend. To me it's make perfect sense to tie that in with the rose of Tralee, more publicity for the charity and a nice event in the town for the festival

Of course the dome shouldn't be free, what they put on is worth paying for if you are interested.

To me the festival is two separate parts, the dome which is profit making and the street entertainment which is loss making. I enjoy both parts, go to somethings in the dome and walking around the street to soak up a bit of atmosphere.
    The goodwill/community spirit that ran all the free events which drew a crowd is dying off more and more every year.
    It's kind of a vicious circle, less on means a smaller crowd which results in less on the following year.

If things were a bit more coordinated it might help, like the rose charity truck run that's on this weekend. To me it's make perfect sense to tie that in with the rose of Tralee, more publicity for the charity and a nice event in the town for the festival

I saw that truck run on alright I don't it's in anyway affiliated to the festival however?? In terms of coordination it would be out of the festivals hands unless someone from the truck run approached the festival. I think the rose in the name is in reference to the rose hotel and not the festival.

I don't see where your coming from with coordination. There's a Rose 10K, Rose Cup Football Blitz, Cycle against suicide spin off etc all coordinated with outside groups???

In terms of the street entertainment I read theres 150 thousand being spent this year in the streets alone.

It's not a music festival!!!!

Looking at the schedule there's a nice mix on local acts and entertainment between Denny street and the square.

The fire show on Friday will be good. Saw thery were also looking for buskers this year so that'll add a nice athmosphere around.
    Queen tribute band of Friday night.
    Rock band Monday night
    Family town in the park is always lovely.
    Parades fireworks marching bands.....

As a festival what more can they do!!!

There not going to have major headline names anymore it obviously doesn't pay to bring them. I appreciate that's how it was back in the day but there's so many other dedicated music festivals now it would be impossible to compete with so instead of trying and losing your shirt in it there prob better off with the smaller local acts.

We must also remember that back in the day the festival accumulated huge amounts of debt and went bust as a result of poorly planned and executed events over a few years. I'd imagine a lot of bands/agents and booking companies got stung quite badly as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

Here's the full listing of events for the Rose of Tralee festival next month. Very poor line up, worst in years. There is some music on the streets, but no major well known acts.
    http://www.roseoftralee.ie/2017-programme-of-events

Not closing down the Square this year then? I also seen a story some months ago that their grant aid from Bord Failte or whatever its called these days was halved.

Why does the festival need big name big cost acts? For the Tralee 800 last year they had a decent free gig in the Square and there was virtually no one there! What they need is a mix of stuff going on across 3 areas that will bring a crowd out and an athmosphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭g1983d

I think the biggest draw for families for years was the events in the town park.
    It used be sponsored by Kerry Group as far as I can remember and weather dependant the crowds were huge. I remember parking outside the town and walking in as it was so busy.

A number of truck trailers as band stages, donkey derby, helicopter rides and the one I was always in awe of was the model planes and helicopters being flown.

Mind you this was 25 years ago, times have changed and people are less easily entertained now:-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭cute geoge

They still get the crowds on the sunday if the weather is good .I popped in the town park the second last festival on the sunday .
    My god it was tronged but nothing at all for entertainment for children ,it had gone down from previous years .Tell you the truth i was glad to get out of there and wont be caught there again with a young lad

• Registered Users Posts: 10 dontknowyet1

Would anyone know if jwmaintenanceservices is still in business or if he has ceased trading?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Strange that a new Council sign in an Oakpark estate is largely in Irish, even if the English would be virtually identical: "Fíneáil €3,000".

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Strange that a new Council sign in an Oakpark estate is largely in Irish, even if the English would be virtually identical: "Fíneáil €3,000".

Saw that this eve. don't know why it they couldn't just put it in English!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Would anyone know if jwmaintenanceservices is still in business or if he has ceased trading?

There is a company called Multi Maintenance services around owned by James Barrett, but not sure it's the same name as the one you mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Saw that this eve. don't know why it they couldn't just put it in English!

Yeah, Scoil Mhic Easmainn's nearby, but we wouldn't qualify as a breac-Gaeltacht any time soon!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,092 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Called into Benners today and met my old school pal. Google Maps to the rescue. Place looks well. Coffee was terrible. Wished him well, and told him bout the coffee. Gastro pub, and bewleys coffee, is a no no in my books.

Now the coffee in the roast house, that's definitely worth the trip into town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Erik Shin

Erik Shin wrote: »

It Was meant to be for just today but they will open from 12-5pm tomorrow, Sunday 16th also!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/time-again-for-the-rise-of-tralee-with-denny-st-regeneration-454940.html

Interesting article on the challenges Denny Street faces in the 21st century due to the costs of upgrading listed buildings and how much of the buildings space/upper floors are lying idle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭phater phagan

I was reading a CSO report that urban Tralee's unemployment rate is 27%. That seems very high. I don't doubt the veracity of the report, but it is quite disturbing.

Erik Shin wrote: »

Pop up charity shop opening for one last day on Friday 21st. Everything priced to sell.

https://www.facebook.com/events/731882146998116/?ti=icl

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭JonathonS

ongarboy wrote: »
    Interesting article on the challenges Denny Street faces in the 21st century due to the costs of upgrading listed buildings and how much of the buildings space/upper floors are lying idle.

Denny St must be the finest street in Ireland outside of the 5 cities, and you could argue that only Dublin's Georgian squares compare to it. How well it looked in 1924, with not a car in view. Tralee has a real gem there.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Brock Stevens

Driving in town centre today and it sruck me how quiet it has gotten since they closed the mall. I drive down castle street a few times a week at various times. I can not remember the last time I had to stop at aib to let a pedestrian cross at either of the new crossings. Before I would nearly always be stopped at the zebra crossing for a while then again for people crossing from aib to costa. Where have all the pedestrians gone?

The pedestrian crossing over by the park/Siamsa is odd. It changes to red very quickly, even after it goes to green, it will go back to red immediately after someone presses it. I saw one car get through when it changed back to red the other day. No wonder the traffic is getting backed up.

Driving in town centre today and it sruck me how quiet it has gotten since they closed the mall. I drive down castle street a few times a week at various times. I can not remember the last time I had to stop at aib to let a pedestrian cross at either of the new crossings. Before I would nearly always be stopped at the zebra crossing for a while then again for people crossing from aib to costa. Where have all the pedestrians gone?

Weather, schools off.....blah blah blah.

But the town is certainly quieter in the evenings. Not as many tourists around as in previous years. Not seeing the coaches parking up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

They're saying the crowds for the festival are way down as well this year......oh sorry, I'm a month early for that guaranteed post! ;)

They're saying the crowds for the festival are way down as well this year......oh sorry, I'm a month early for that guaranteed post! ;)

Or, "The Kerry's Eye reports record crowds for the 12th year in a row for the festival"
    Goebbels could have taken lessons from that lot :D

The kerryman had a headline a few weeks ago saying hotels were booked out for the festival. Apparently totally untrue and a few hotels posted on facebook saying as much and that they had vacancies!

• Advertisement

The kerryman had a headline a few weeks ago saying hotels were booked out for the festival. Apparently totally untrue and a few hotels posted on facebook saying as much and that they had vacancies!

Yes Indeed, benners had half their rooms empty...and someone else had loads of rooms left...can't remember, was it John Collins?

Advertisement