Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭The_Mac

kn wrote: »
    Why does nearly everyone I come across refer to it as the 'Green Bus' rather than Dublin Coach? :)

Well... They're green and they're buses

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Erik Shin

The_Mac wrote: »
    Well... They're green and they're buses

And they go elsewhere besides Dublin....and the word coach is a bit too fancy for it :)

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Erik Shin wrote: »
    And they go elsewhere besides Dublin....and the word coach is a bit too fancy for it :)

Well it so happens I was on one on Tuesday and it was blue!

And a bit fancier than their usual dilapidated ones too!

Still was twenty minutes late arriving in Tralee though... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

I think I'm not too far away from the mark by saying the nightlife in Tralee is the worst it's ever been, it's beyond terrible.
    The festival will prove interesting...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

I think I'm not too far away from the mark by saying the nightlife in Tralee is the worst it's ever been, it's beyond terrible.

You are spot on in what you are saying,nightlife in Tralee has slowly got worse and worse as the years have gone on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

What nightlife? Hennessys, the Scabbey and the Blasket on Tuesday nights is I think the sum total of Tralee's nightlife! God be the days when you had the Brandon, Horans and even Benners to choose from (or even Slatts for those of a more mature vintage).

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

kn wrote: »
    What nightlife? Hennessys, the Scabbey and the Blasket on Tuesday nights is I think the sum total of Tralee's nightlife! God be the days when you had the Brandon, Horans and even Benners to choose from (or even Slatts for those of a more mature vintage).

Very true. It's really gone backwards. Fabrik closed again last weekend so I can't see who will take it on as the last management seemed to be trying everything, even not charging in. I guess nightclubs are pretty much a thing of the past, although I suppose not everywhere. The arguemebt that people are drinking at home first doesn't really make a difference as that was happening when I was in my early 20's , so it hasn't changed that much. I know drink prices are more expensive, but what really is stopping a nightclub working here?

I don't really get this purple flag thing either. I can't really see Tralee being awarded it to be honest. We will see I guess.

Walking thru town Friday morning..4 taxis parked outside Heatons and all along the barrier...a woman pulls up behind them...and the traffic warden books her...and only her.
    She gave him a mouthful of abuse...and I gave her my name and number if she wants to challenge it in court...if you're going to be a cnut...I mean a traffic warden...do your job properly...or just fck off and stay home

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

The mural on the side of Croi is finished! It looks great!
    http://traleetoday.ie/photos-mural-town-centre-looking-amazing/

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Brock Stevens

Walking thru town Friday morning..4 taxis parked outside Heatons and all along the barrier...a woman pulls up behind them...and the traffic warden books her...and only her.
    She gave him a mouthful of abuse...and I gave her my name and number if she wants to challenge it in court...if you're going to be a cnut...I mean a traffic warden...do your job properly...or just fck off and stay home

Yeah I really don't get it. The council won't meet the taxis half way and say it's their way or no way. Yet when the taxis decide to do whatever they like they are left get away with it. Seems crazy to me.

• Advertisement

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    The mural on the side of Croi is finished! It looks great!
    http://traleetoday.ie/photos-mural-town-centre-looking-amazing/

Wonderful idea - looks amazing!

Reminds me of the lovely mural on the side of the old Benner's which unfortunately was never replaced.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

Very true. It's really gone backwards. Fabrik closed again last weekend so I can't see who will take it on as the last management seemed to be trying everything, even not charging in. I guess nightclubs are pretty much a thing of the past, although I suppose not everywhere. The arguemebt that people are drinking at home first doesn't really make a difference as that was happening when I was in my early 20's , so it hasn't changed that much. I know drink prices are more expensive, but what really is stopping a nightclub working here?

I don't really get this purple flag thing either. I can't really see Tralee being awarded it to be honest. We will see I guess.

Maybe people just don't go drinking like raging alcoholics anymore. I mean if you go to the continent, it's pretty abnormal the amount we drink in comparison.

xxyyzz wrote: »
    Maybe people just don't go drinking like raging alcoholics anymore. I mean if you go to the continent, it's pretty abnormal the amount we drink in comparison.

And more and more of us have zero interest in frequenting pubs that only have the usual macro-piss on draught, with maybe one faux-craft beer to show they're so with things. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭theaceofspies

Coffee culture is replacing pub talk with less pubs and more coffee houses.

Coffee culture is replacing pub talk with less pubs and more coffee houses.

I don't think it is.....that's a daytime trade only.... but there is a lack of diversity in the pub trade here....one of the best nights I ever had was in a bar in cork .. leather couches...wine was the drink of choice and a DJ with a chilled selection of jazz/south American Latin dance tunes, she had the place packed and it was brilliant.
    We could do with something a little different in Tralee tbh...the only band I see that are worth going to are Avatar...and they end up in the abbey quite a bit

Edit:.... I may have had a point when I started...but I meandered just a tad :D

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭g1983d

You are spot on in what you are saying,nightlife in Tralee has slowly got worse and worse as the years have gone on.

I dunno, I think it's improved over the past 12 months, nothing like it's hay day but better than 2 or 3 years a go

I don't think it is.....that's a daytime trade only.... but there is a lack of diversity in the pub trade here....one of the best nights I ever had was in a bar in cork .. leather couches...wine was the drink of choice and a DJ with a chilled selection of jazz/south American Latin dance tunes, she had the place packed and it was brilliant.
    We could do with something a little different in Tralee tbh...the only band I see that are worth going to are Avatar...and they end up in the abbey quite a bit

Edit:.... I may have had a point when I started...but I meandered just a tad :D

That's exactly the type of place I'd go to. Roundys do that sort of thing, at least they try to. No4 on the Square should do it too. I don't go out often, but last night I was out I went to Roundys & really liked it. We went to no4 after & it wasn't busy & they didn't really want us sitting on the couch on the 1st floor near the fire. Not sure why?!

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Clab mor

Are they going to remove the red and white bollards at top of the mall alongside where the taxis are parking before the festival I wonder there's also traffic cones scattered around and a few barriers outside the AIB.

The mall looks fantastic but the few bits strewn around are ruining the overall look.

Clab mor wrote: »
    Are they going to remove the red and white bollards at top of the mall alongside where the taxis are parking before the festival I wonder there's also traffic cones scattered around and a few barriers outside the AIB.

The mall looks fantastic but the few bits strewn around are ruining the overall look.

The work is apparently on hold now until the end of the festival, so I would assume they will need to move them for health & safety reasons while the festival is on? Wonder what the taxis will do though!? :rolleyes:

As soon as the barriers are moved the taxis will move back in like rats

• Advertisement

As soon as the barriers are moved the taxis will move back in like rats

Are the taxis due to go back onto the newly paved mall when works are finished?i didn't think they were?

Are the taxis due to go back onto the newly paved mall when works are finished?i didn't think they were?

No, they aren't....but they have already stated that they will as the bylaws allow it.... hopefully the ordinary law of the land allows Muppets to be arrested for causing damage to.the new paving

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

They aren't allowed park in the cycle lane on Denny st either or outside Heatons not that that has stopped them.

The serial chipper name change in Castle street is changed, again! Now called 'Andy's' and apparently its Asian and European food!
    Oh and they need staff!

I noticed the barriers have been moved further out into the yellow box outside the new Mall & Heatons! No taxi's parked there this morning, nor would they be able to as less room now!

I noticed the barriers have been moved further out into the yellow box outside the new Mall & Heatons! No taxi's parked there this morning, nor would they be able to as less room now!

They parked on the pedestrian crossing outside Heatons at 9am and the traffic warden standing across the road looking at them while he played pocket pool

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭Jimmyireland

No, they aren't....but they have already stated that they will as the bylaws allow it.... hopefully the ordinary law of the land allows Muppets to be arrested for causing damage to.the new paving

By Laws will be changed by KCC before the Nov24th finish

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭Jimmyireland

They parked on the pedestrian crossing outside Heatons at 9am and the traffic warden standing across the road looking at them while he played pocket pool

Simple..The wardens are afraid to issue tickets to them, but will issue tickets to anyone in Denny Street..

Taxis now parked in cycle lane outside Zip Yard/Costa on Denny street!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭kev_Makaveli

Taxis now parked in cycle lane outside Zip Yard/Costa on Denny street!

Just get someone to cycle into them. The threat of being sued might help them pull the finger out.

Cant stand taxis. They think they own the roads. I would never let a taxi out given the the chance.

Advertisement