Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭phater phagan

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    That's closed down and its not reopening.

That's not true. I spoke with the people who are doing the remodeling and they told me that it's opening under the same owners in a week or so.

They are definitely not reopening. My husband knows one of the owners & its not happening.

Sorry that is the quote I meant for my last post.

Sorry again - Ciarriai , I got the two posts about the Allegro and the other one confused. My apologies.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Sorry again - Ciarriai , I got the two posts about the Allegro and the other one confused. My apologies.

No problem!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

jp0st.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭RevBlueJeans

Slieve Mish mountain. Noticed it on my way home this evening too. Isn't it meant to be illegal now?

http://www.independent.ie/regionals/kerryman/news/family-flees-raging-gorse-blaze-27405593.html

From the kerry Man March 2011

Tralee Fire Brigade Station Officer Nigel Corner appealed to landowners not to light gorse fires, which are illegal in the period between March 1 and August 31.
    "We've been very lucky so far but I have to emphasise that nobody should be lighting fires like this at the moment. It's far too dangerous," said Mr Corner.
    The current dry spell also means that fires are spreading for quicker than usual. "The fire service is literally praying for rain at the moment," said Mr Corner.
    In addition to the risk to human life these gorse fires a placing a huge financial burden on the county. Last year the emergency service bill for dealing with gorse fires was almost €500,000. A SHOCKING rise in the number of unconfined gorse fires in Kerry last year resulted in the taxpayer forking out almost half a million euros in emergency service bills, a figure that is expected to rise yet further in 2011 as illegal fires rage across the county this week.
    In December The Kerryman also reported how over €100,000 of damage was also sustained by Coillte when gorse fires destroyed over 22 hectares of forest in one year.
    All gorse fires lit between March 1 and August 31 are illegal and while most are aimed at clearing overgrown shrubs in upland areas, allegations of blatant vandalism have added a much more sinister element to the equation.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

That gorse fire was still burning at 1am last night!

Not a bad parade today! It seemed to be a lot longer than previous years. Didn't seem to be too many floats though, but all in all it seemed good! Great to have a dry day for it :) Happy St. Patrick's day to you all :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Pink Fairy

Parade went off well, unfortunately the same old problem of marauding teens with cans of shaving foam, and paint destroying themselves and anyone that comes in their path.
    No adult supervision once the parade is over, they march the kids thru town and then abandon them to their own devices.... Stupidity.

Pink Fairy wrote: »
    Parade went off well, unfortunately the same old problem of marauding teens with cans of shaving foam, and paint destroying themselves and anyone that comes in their path.
    No adult supervision once the parade is over, they march the kids thru town and then abandon them to their own devices.... Stupidity.

Tralee Chamber Alliance put up a post this evening with a photo of the mess left from people in the square today. Everyone complaining about the lack of control there again this year!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Pink Fairy

Tralee Chamber Alliance put up a post this evening with a photo of the mess left from people in the square today. Everyone complaining about the lack of control there again this year!

Well it was quite easy to see who was doing it, team colour uniforms etc and there are many cameras in the area, plenty of information available for the authorities to act upon if they so wish

Killarney was brilliant today. Lots of happy families enjoying the parade and the buzz. Plenty of guards around the town -, who quickly put a stop any anti-social behaviour. A lovely day all round,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭fuerte1976

Just back from town. Square is all quiet now but it was a mess around 18.30 when I went through it first. Teens pissed - (not that I was a saint), puke and boxing. Great entertainment... Not..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

fuerte1976 wrote: »
    Just back from town. Square is all quiet now but it was a mess around 18.30 when I went through it first. Teens pissed - (not that I was a saint), puke and boxing. Great entertainment... Not..

http://traleetoday.ie/littered-square-not-make-happy-st-patricks-day/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭fuerte1976

Yea, saw that earlier. I forgot to mention as I was walking home back through the square, 3 'youth's' launched a glass in my direction that smashed just behind me against the old tsb building..
    Right ars@#(es...

Huge congrats to Bryan Cooper on winning the Cheltenham Gold Cup on Don Cossack

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭DubCul

Delighted for Bryan Cooper, seems a lovely lad too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

• Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭siblers

That really is a terrible website

I don't even know why anyone would advertise on it, it's a complete mess. The killarneytoday.com website is very tidy compared to it, wouldn't even take much work to tidy, just needs a template to work off of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

That really is a terrible website

Its website looks like a very early internet era c1998 amateur design and those ads are really cluttered and visually irritating. I never visit that site. However, their Facebook page is far better and if you opt to follow (like) it, you get all the Tralee news updates at they happen in a handy fashion. It's almost as good as this thread for the breaking news updates!! :D The physical current editions of the Kerryman often seems like 2 weeks out of date in comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Zefff

Is there sidewalk or bike path access from Tralee proper all the way to Ballyseedy Wood? We have a baby stroller.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭The YOPPA

Zefff...there isn't a dedicated sidewalk/bike path from Tralee to Ballyseedy but you could walk there from the Manor side, out past Ballingarry Hotel on the 'old' road...very little traffic, so safe for walking.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,784 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

The YOPPA wrote: »
    Zefff...there isn't a dedicated sidewalk/bike path from Tralee to Ballyseedy but you could walk there from the Manor side, out past Ballingarry Hotel on the 'old' road...very little traffic, so safe for walking.

The old road has been cut off since the bypass was built so that is no longer an option. There is a decent hard shoulder though all the way from Manor along the main road to the turn-off after Ballygarry Hotel so it's quite walkable.

There is a firm plan for a walk/cycle-way along the river from Lidl to Ballyseedy but it's currently awaiting funding.

Quackster wrote: »
    The old road has been cut off since the bypass was built so that is no longer an option. There is a decent hard shoulder though all the way from Manor along the main road to the turn-off after Ballygarry Hotel so it's quite walkable.

There is a firm plan for a walk/cycle-way along the river from Lidl to Ballyseedy but it's currently awaiting funding.

Oh yeah, we crossed the road near Lidl hoping that walkway continued. Much to our dismay, we discovered that it didn't! Glad to hear there's a plan to extend it.

We're avid walkers and like getting out to the surrounding countryside. Our son is getting too heavy for the carrier, so that restricts us to the stroller, which in turn restricts us to sidewalks and/or very quiet roads which are at times a little unnerving. People prob think we're crazy. Maybe we are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

Would a preschool carrier be an option? My almost 4 year old (who's on the 90th percentile!) would still be comfortable on my back in a sling. Would be easier than the stroller! It can be about finding the one that's most comfortable for you though!

cyning wrote: »
    Would a preschool carrier be an option? My almost 4 year old (who's on the 90th percentile!) would still be comfortable on my back in a sling. Would be easier than the stroller! It can be about finding the one that's most comfortable for you though!

We have a backpack carrier that I might give another chance. You're right. It depends mostly on comfort.

We ended up walking up to Collis Sandes House today. Nice little woods there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

Zefff wrote: »
    We have a backpack carrier that I might give another chance. You're right. It depends mostly on comfort.

We ended up walking up to Collis Sandes House today. Nice little woods there.

Somewhere I never think of going despite spending hours their as a child. I loved it!

There's a sling library in town: their next meeting is Wednesday at 1130 in Bowling Buddies you can rent slings to find one that's comfortable. Really handy for walking in places that aren't as accessible. There's a Facebook page BWI- Kerry Sling Library if you want to check it out. It mightn't be for you either :)

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭bobdcow

Just wondering, being hearing a lot about "spice bags" lately, is there any chipper in town that does them?

• Advertisement

Plenty of things to do for the family this Easter weekend with the Tír na nÓg Children's festival. Check out their FB page for info:
    https://www.facebook.com/Tirnanogchildrensfestival/?fref=ts

Advertisement