Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Had a walk around today. There seemed to be a good crowd around the Mall. Denny street empty as there are no stalls there, so it felt very quiet. We went into the park but it didn't seem as though there was much going on. We were particularly looking for the petting zoo & farm but all we found was a tiny stall that apparently only had a few animals, which we Couldn't get near anyway. I was expecting a lot more to see, so it was a bit disappointing.
    Thankfully the weather was good.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

On the Festival, I am old enough to remember a 'stand' in the Mall, another in the Square, bottom of Denny Street of course (Ashe Hall, so as not to confuse Ciarrai76 ;)) and a 'mobile' one up Ashe Street near the Courthouse!

Do you mean a music stage? I remember one in Ashe steeet, castle st and at one point there was one up Boherbee and even a small amount of amusements in Dom O'Donnell carpark! Can't remember when that was!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

Did anyone go to Gypsy Kathleen by any chance??

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Pirates Ale

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    Do you mean a music stage? I remember one in Ashe steeet, castle st and at one point there was one up Boherbee and even a small amount of amusements in Dom O'Donnell carpark! Can't remember when that was!?

Yes, stage, the one I suggested was in the mall was probably nearer the ashe street junction, so more Castle St as you say.
    I have no memory of amusements in DOD car park though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Erik Shin

Yes, stage, the one I suggested was in the mall was probably nearer the ashe street junction, so more Castle St as you say.
    I have no memory of amusements in DOD car park though!

About 14 or 15 years ago, only did it for 2 years I think...a couple of small kiddie rides

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭SecretsOfEarth

Did anyone go to Gypsy Kathleen by any chance??

I saw the sign with her pictured beside Enda and a few others and was very tempted but sadly no.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,150 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Had a walk around today. There seemed to be a good crowd around the Mall. Denny street empty as there are no stalls there, so it felt very quiet. We went into the park but it didn't seem as though there was much going on. We were particularly looking for the petting zoo & farm but all we found was a tiny stall that apparently only had a few animals, which we Couldn't get near anyway. I was expecting a lot more to see, so it was a bit disappointing.
    Thankfully the weather was good.

Probably all up in Ennis for the Fleadh:)

Didn't watch the parade but headee down for the fireworks, crowds on Denny Street definitely a bit down, but it was a fantastic display and the fireworks were straight above the Ashe hall as opposed to being inside the green and hidden by tall trees(as has happened the last few years)

Weather not looking too promising for todays events..

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭g1983d

Erik Shin wrote: »
    Didn't watch the parade but headee down for the fireworks, crowds on Denny Street definitely a bit down, but it was a fantastic display and the fireworks were straight above the Ashe hall as opposed to being inside the green and hidden by tall trees(as has happened the last few years)

I thought the crowd watching the parade this year was up, watched it at the library and then walked to Denny Street, good crowd all the way. Was in the square later when abba esque were on and there was a decent crowd there too. Weather helps big time, today looks like a wash out

• Advertisement

g1983d wrote: »
    I thought the crowd watching the parade this year was up, watched it at the library and then walked to Denny Street, good crowd all the way. Was in the square later when abba esque were on and there was a decent crowd there too. Weather helps big time, today looks like a wash out

Crowd was definitely down imo, it was barely reaching the access road into st John's church, but the fireworks show was much better this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭The_Mac

bobdcow wrote: »
    Went through town this morning - taxis were outside heatons - when we were on Denny St going towards Castle St we had to cross over the solid white line onto the other side of the road to get around the bend there.

On a side note - which way is up/down on Denny Street - Is heatons to the ashe hall "up Denny St", or "down Denny St"?

You have unleashed the question that will tear the boards.ie Tralee community apart

Did anyone venture into town in the rain yesterday? I didnt hear what the crowds wee like, but it couldn't have been great with all that rain. I could hear the Conor Mckeown band playing from my house until just after midnight. Wonder if there many at it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Was down in Tralee at the weekend. The amount of blatant anti social behaviour and drug dealing going on around the Castle near Siamsa is crazy.

Walked past it a few times in the evening and there were large groups (20 plus) teenagers drinking and yelling at one another with absolutely blatant drug dealing exchanges (the type that are getting extensive coverage on the boardwalks in Dublin).

quad_red wrote: »
    Was down in Tralee at the weekend. The amount of blatant anti social behaviour and drug dealing going on around the Castle near Siamsa is crazy.

Walked past it a few times in the evening and there were large groups (20 plus) teenagers drinking and yelling at one another with absolutely blatant drug dealing exchanges (the type that are getting extensive coverage on the boardwalks in Dublin).

Any yokes?

Did you report it to the Gardai?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

Did anyone venture into town in the rain yesterday? I didnt hear what the crowds wee like, but it couldn't have been great with all that rain. I could hear the Conor Mckeown band playing from my house until just after midnight. Wonder if there many at it?

I was in town for a few hours while herself was at the fashion show. There was a few heads around all right, but nowhere near the amount that was in town on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

ongarboy wrote: »

The Gaelscoil is proposed to go into the land at the back of Hawley Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭g1983d

https://youtu.be/Xz3B7e-LEMQ

Nice video of the parade, great promo for Tralee

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

This made me smile ...

'As a goodwill gesture the organisers of “Live at the Dome” ticket holders may use the Showband Show tickets to gain entry to the Pat Shortt Comedy Show in the Dome on Friday 25th August.'

In other words, we have lots of unsold tickets for Pat Shortt also, so please come to that instead!

This made me smile ...

'As a goodwill gesture the organisers of “Live at the Dome” ticket holders may use the Showband Show tickets to gain entry to the Pat Shortt Comedy Show in the Dome on Friday 25th August.'

In other words, we have lots of unsold tickets for Pat Shortt also, so please come to that instead!

Less than 50 sold I had heard

This made me smile ...

I was thinking the same thing! What a mess!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Clab mor

I was thinking the same thing! What a mess!:rolleyes:

It's really is!!!

Pat Short in fairness is pretty decent you'd wonder why people are not interested in going!

I don't recall they ever going down the route of comedians before it's usually music acts.

Strange that both in this instance hasn't worked!! The problem is that the festival could have easily had a bigger act booked and the same thing could have happened!!!

Tickets sales must me very hard to predict no matter what the act and the risk of loosing is very high!!!

On a positive note strolled into town last night as the weather was good, not a bad crowd around. Obviously not as good as the "good ole days" but I think we can safely say those days are gone for good.

Two decent bands in the square to cater for young and old and both FREE!!!!

I'm not quite sure if the festival as it stands is all it can be however. The location of the stages in relation to the bars and stalls is very disjointed!!!

If your at the end of Denny Street you can't buy a pint or a burger.

There should be way more seating by day for families to sit and enjoy the athmosphere.

It's crazy that you can't buy a pint on the street from a tent like most other festivals.

The person who was in charge of the street entertainment these last few years is this year, in charge of the Dome's programme of events....
    Ronan Collins played the siamsa...330people is about his capacity...the same with Pat Shortt...these are not acts that will pack 2-3k into a tent...the same lad is being given free reign...and soon enough people will realise they should have been using a lot of Vaseline

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Seems to me as the years go on the stage is getting smaller and smaller in front of the Ashe Memorial Hall

In 10 years time there will be no stage there,be just a fella standing on a chair a and they will have two chairs for the night the winning rose is introduced to the crowd :D

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭The_Mac

By drug dealing do you mean lads passing weed about or a junkie shooting up by the wall?

Clab mor wrote: »
    It's really is!!!

Pat Short in fairness is pretty decent you'd wonder why people are not interested in going!

I don't recall they ever going down the route of comedians before it's usually music acts.

Strange that both in this instance hasn't worked!! The problem is that the festival could have easily had a bigger act booked and the same thing could have happened!!!

Tickets sales must me very hard to predict no matter what the act and the risk of loosing is very high!!!

On a positive note strolled into town last night as the weather was good, not a bad crowd around. Obviously not as good as the "good ole days" but I think we can safely say those days are gone for good.

Two decent bands in the square to cater for young and old and both FREE!!!!

I'm not quite sure if the festival as it stands is all it can be however. The location of the stages in relation to the bars and stalls is very disjointed!!!

If your at the end of Denny Street you can't buy a pint or a burger.

There should be way more seating by day for families to sit and enjoy the athmosphere.

It's crazy that you can't buy a pint on the street from a tent like most other festivals.

Yeah, I really think a big overhaul is needed. I know the budget isn't there for an awful lot, but why can't they take a leaf out of other festivals? Do any of the entertainment committee go to any other festivals for inspiration!?
    The stage on Denny street definitely looked smaller is yesr, as someone else said. I mentioned that on Saturday when I was heading to the park. Denny street was empty sat afternoon, no music, nothing. Only people going to & from the park or the amusements. The stalls aren't great either. I don't know why they are allowing all these fake brands to be sold! I thought that was illegal? There are definitely less stalls too and it's too narrow up the middle of the mall for everyone to pass through. It looks nice, but really hard to get up at times, especially with a pram. I had to give up half way go back!

I don't know how many were at Conor mcKeown on Denny street on Sunday night, but it looked empty from the video I saw. And he is good, as I've seen him a couple of times before. I heard Abbaesque was good too. It's just not working in its current format and each year it gets worse!

• Advertisement

Seems to me as the years go on the stage is getting smaller and smaller in front of the Ashe Memorial Hall

Said the very same thing to my wife, it looks very measly compared to other years, and what looks like black plastic sheeting as a backing!

Advertisement