Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Congratulations to the Offaly Rose, Jennifer Byrne!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Erik Shin

Came in from 66-1 to evens 10 minutes before the announcement..... Mary Kennedy's taking early retirement!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

Good fireworks display. The disco in the dome sounded the place to be afters as there was feck all in the centre of town.

Said the very same thing to my wife, it looks very measly compared to other years, and what looks like black plastic sheeting as a backing!
    Actually as you say that. On the Friday night there was a very good Queen tribute act on and they said towards the end of the gig that this is the point where they go off and the crowd shouts 'we want more' but as they had literally no where to go they would just carry on as if we had gone through that process.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Pirates Ale

kn wrote: »
    Actually as you say that. On the Friday night there was a very good Queen tribute act on and they said towards the end of the gig that this is the point where they go off and the crowd shouts 'we want more' but as they had literally no where to go they would just carry on as if we had gone through that process.
    Could they not have jumped off the stage, run around the back....and BURST through the black plastic singing 'I want to break free'..

• Advertisement

Another thing struck me last night re the Taxis'. As there is a County Council Road Closure Notice in place for Castle Street they actually have no insurance within the area of the Order - so why are the Guards not taking the vehicles off them for operating without insurance that they would do to anyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Clab mor

Another thing struck me last night re the Taxis'. As there is a County Council Road Closure Notice in place for Castle Street they actually have no insurance within the area of the Order - so why are the Guards not taking the vehicles off them for operating without insurance that they would do to anyone else?

I actually think because there is a road closure in place you don't actually need tax and insurance as technically it's not a public road during the closure!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Was watching the Roses last night,Derek Ryan was singing, he hadnt the first verse done and dusted and Daithi and the winning rose were off the stage and RTE had the credits flying across the screen at a rate of knots,

As for the singing of the Rose of Tralee,no one has come near Liam Heaslip since he stopped doing it

Clab mor wrote: »
    I actually think because there is a road closure in place you don't actually need tax and insurance as technically it's not a public road during the closure!!!

Its still the public highway. Its not a private road as a result of the Order. If your interpretation is correct then the Guards should not be there as they have no business enforcing public order in a private place.

Its still the public highway. Its not a private road as a result of the Order. If your interpretation is correct then the Guards should not be there as they have no business enforcing public order in a private place.

They moved them away Saturday evening ..that taxi Facebook page was having a moan, but they were let back on Sunday....
    The thing with the taxi association is that frankly, they're not the brightest stars in the sky, so theres a mob/bully mentality coming through in both their words and actions....I'd think that they'll get a swift kick in the arse in the next week or so

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Clab mor

No it's not a private road but it's still a public space, just not open to public traffic. Normal public order rules apply but traffic law does not!!!

The taxis were always accommodated in castle st at the discretion of the festival and I think this is all that happened again this year!!!

If the Gardai feel that there is too many or that the crowds are getting too busy they have every right to move them on!!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

It's looking like at least 2019 before works start on a permanent dome/events centre!

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Brock Stevens

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    It's looking like at least 2019 before works start on a permanent dome/events centre!

It will be nice to see that site being put to use all year round. It's been an eye sore for way too long now. I'm feeling hopeful for our town. A lot of projects in progress such as the mall and some planned like Denny's. Hopefully it will all mean a better future for us all. If only the nite life would return.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

Anyone know of a good panel beater in or around town?

The new paving in the Mall is filthy already! Probably even more so from the food stalls. Will the council be power hosing it? Its the same in the square, its filthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Brock Stevens

The new paving in the Mall is filthy already! Probably even more so from the food stalls. Will the council be power hosing it? Its the same in the square, its filthy.

I would imagine since it's still technically a building site that it will be done in November by the builders just before completion date. Doubt it'll be done before that but hopefully I'm wrong. They don't wash the square so I don't see them washing the mall regularly going forward.

More of a patriot than a lot out there that denounced him

• Registered Users Posts: 86,421 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Where is Buddies, the kids play area in Tralee?

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Where is Buddies, the kids play area in Tralee?

It's in Killarney. They have a bowling alley in Manor, Tralee called Bowling Buddies. There is a soft play place in Manor called the Playdium, which would be similar to Buddies.

• Advertisement

A new coffee shop is opening in Edward street, next to the post office. It was previously Taste of Italy. I think it's called Ugly Mug! Looks very nice inside from the pics I've seen on instagram. Best of luck to them!

A new coffee shop is opening in Edward street, next to the post office. It was previously Taste of Italy. I think it's called Ugly Mug! Looks very nice inside from the pics I've seen on instagram. Best of luck to them!

Would be doing breakfast as well...not frys, but granola and cereal types I believe

The better team won really..

Erik Shin wrote: »
    Would be doing breakfast as well...not frys, but granola and cereal types I believe

It reminds me a bit of the Bookshelf in Manor. Same kind of decor & food. Looks good!

The better team won really..

A pity though. Was hoping it was our year. Maybe next year. It's a very new & young team coming through. I would expect to hear that Donaghy & Darren O'Sullivan will be calling time on inter county now?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

I think Mayo played better today - there'll be the usual stuff about the ref, the manager, the ref again etc etc but overall it wasn't to be :( Am wondering will many of the winning minor teams of the past few years get a chance now? May be time to ring the changes but if some do retire its important to remember the great times these lads have given us and not remember them for their last game in the green and gold.
    Meanwhile I have to deal with a gang of Mayo in-laws for the next few weeks :)

A pity though. Was hoping it was our year. Maybe next year. It's a very new & young team coming through. I would expect to hear that Donaghy & Darren O'Sullivan will be calling time on inter county now?!

I thought Kerry were playing negatively from the start, foul after foul, only giving easy points to Mayo
    Over the two games you would have to say that Mayo have a much better chance of toppling Dublin (or Tyrone)
    You would be thinking them two will retire alright, I thought Donaghy was way over hyped by the media this year anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1 traleebandit

long time lurker to here , decided to join and get stuck in the banter etc , but have to admit right out that I agree 100% with Eric the Shin re: the taxis in town , ok on that issue my cards are on the table ...... As a newbie I have to ask the powers that be , what % of the town would the comments here represent ,only asking to try and get a feel for what and who the forum reflects . Sean.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭JonathonS

what % of the town would the comments here represent ,only asking to try and get a feel for what and who the forum reflects . Sean.

There are about 50 very regular posters on here and 50 more who post a few times a year. The population of the town is 24k so the Tralee thread represents a little less 0.5% of them.

Hope that helps. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

JonathonS wrote: »
    There are about 50 very regular posters on here and 50 more who post a few times a year. The population of the town is 24k so the Tralee thread represents a little less 0.5% of them.

Hope that helps. :rolleyes:

I don't think there are even half that many regular
    Posters on the Tralee thread!

Advertisement