Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

I just heard that Dawson's restaurant in Heatons has closed due to retirement. It was open for 26 years. Best of luck to Nuala.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Plenty to do in Tralee this weekend between Culture night and the Food festival. http://traleetoday.ie/seven-things-weekend-around-tralee/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    Plenty to do in Tralee this weekend between Culture night and the Food festival. http://traleetoday.ie/seven-things-weekend-around-tralee/

I went down to the 'concert' in the Square last night and God but it was awful stuff. They had a singer who sounded as if she was strangling a cat then a guy just doing this boom box thing into the Mic for 10 minutes.....absolute drivel. I then went to the County Museum which is at least worthy of the name.

It's a pity the weather was so bad today for the food festival. The cooking demos had to be cancelled. Last year was a beautiful day for it so it's a shame it was a bit of a wash out.
    There was a lot of people around this evening though. I went into town around 7.30 to pick up a take away from Quinlans and it was impossible to get parked! Good to see it so busy around.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

It's a pity the weather was so bad today for the food festival. The cooking demos had to be cancelled. Last year was a beautiful day for it so it's a shame it was a bit of a wash out.
    There was a lot of people around this evening though. I went into town around 7.30 to pick up a take away from Quinlans and it was impossible to get parked! Good to see it so busy around.

Double header of matches on in Austin Stack Park might be one of the reasons the place was busy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Erik Shin

Erik Shin wrote: »

I was just about to post the same. Between this and the library I think we can take the title of 'stab city' off Limerick.....compensation for the All-Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭The_Mac

kn wrote: »
    I was just about to post the same. Between this and the library I think we can take the title of 'stab city' off Limerick.....compensation for the All-Ireland?

Somehow I don't think we're quite there yet. Limerick has so many stabbings most aren't even reported in their news.

Good news for the town. Gold medal in the Tidy towns awards and we received the Purple flag! Well done to all involved!
    http://traleetoday.ie/tralee-retains-gold-medal-awarded-purple-flag/

Good news for the town. Gold medal in the Tidy towns awards and we received the Purple flag! Well done to all involved!
    http://traleetoday.ie/tralee-retains-gold-medal-awarded-purple-flag/

How does a Town with no night-life get a purple flag?

• Advertisement

Just have a proper grade A bullshït artist show the judges around the town

It's not about just a night life, it's about promoting a town which has good restaurants, pubs and a nice atmosphere.

To quote John Drummy of Tralee chamber Alliance:

"The aim of the Purple Flag is to increase footfall into town centres, lower crime and improve the night time experience. Purple Flag destinations distinguish themselves by being vibrant and well-managed and this achievement will give Tralee a much needed boost".

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭RevBlueJeans

Purple Flag Assessment Pack.

https://www.atcm.org/programmes/purple_flag/apply_for_purple_flag/pfresourcepack

I think the town has a lot of work to do to maintain and constantly improve.

Purple Flag Assessment Pack.

https://www.atcm.org/programmes/purple_flag/apply_for_purple_flag/pfresourcepack

I think the town has a lot of work to do to maintain and constantly improve.

It does, and it needs the people of the town to get behind it, not knock it! It's a good award, not a negative thing. It shows the town is improving slowly but surely.

The comments and results of the recent gold medal from the tidy towns award are now published. Interesting reading actually.
    http://traleetoday.ie/tidy-towns-judges-said-handsome-town/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I just heard that Dawson's restaurant in Heatons has closed due to retirement. It was open for 26 years. Best of luck to Nuala.
    I wonder has that anything to do with Sportsdirect taking over Heatons?  An old school type café catering for older customers wouldn't be Sportsdirect's target market of customers.
    I went there last year with my mother, the previous time was probably back in 1995.  I don't think the menu had changed since but I guess it's appeal was that it was reassuringly familiar to it's clientele. My grandmother religiously went there every Thursday for their roast beef! :-)

ongarboy wrote: »
    I wonder has that anything to do with Sportsdirect taking over Heatons?  An old school type café catering for older customers wouldn't be Sportsdirect's target market of customers.
    I went there last year with my mother, the previous time was probably back in 1995.  I don't think the menu had changed since but I guess it's appeal was that it was reassuringly familiar to it's clientele. My grandmother religiously went there every Thursday for their roast beef! :-)

They retired according to the owners. They are in their 60's so I would assume they just feel now is the time to do it.

They retired according to the owners. They are in their 60's so I would assume they just feel now is the time to do it.

Nah, the staff got called in at 4.pm and told they wouldn't be open the next day...some very unhappy staff indeed

Erik Shin wrote: »
    Nah, the staff got called in at 4.pm and told they wouldn't be open the next day...some very unhappy staff indeed

I did hear something about that, not nice for staff. the owners may have been forced into closing too. Unfortunately banks/revenue etc can insist on a business closing with no notice under certain circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭sudaltsov

any ideas what's going to be there now?

• Advertisement

sudaltsov wrote: »
    any ideas what's going to be there now?

It's going to be Heatons Xmas shop...they bought out the 99 year lease ;)

Both the Kerryman and Kerry's Eye report that there was a large scale incident around the Square last Thursday night at around 11:15pm. It involved a 'feud' between a local family and an East European family (this could be code for Traveller and Roma BTW). One person was stabbed and a range of weapons were used. A large number of Gardai were required to bring about any order and they maintained a presence in the Square until midday the following day.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭The_Mac

Both the Kerryman and Kerry's Eye report that there was a large scale incident around the Square last Thursday night at around 11:15pm. It involved a 'feud' between a local family and an East European family (this could be code for Traveller and Roma BTW). One person was stabbed and a range of weapons were used. A large number of Gardai were required to bring about any order and they maintained a presence in the Square until midday the following day.

Ah Jesus if I'd known ECW were restarting in Ireland I would've stayed around to watch it.

Does anyone know what's going into the unit next to BMobile just off the square? New entrance put in and shop is being fitted out.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Pirates Ale

Does anyone know what's going into the unit next to BMobile just off the square? New entrance put in and shop is being fitted out.
    Was Yummys busy....

Was Yummys busy....

I Don't know, why?

I Don't know, why?
    I was in there the other day looking across at the work going on in that shop as I drank my coffee, thought you might have been doing the same! :o

I was in there the other day looking across at the work going on in that shop as I drank my coffee, thought you might have been doing the same! :o

No, I did pass it yesterday but I also saw something on instagram I think. Something about doughnuts was mentioned but I don't know if it means a doughnut shop or they were just messing!

No, I did pass it yesterday but I also saw something on instagram I think. Something about doughnuts was mentioned but I don't know if it means a doughnut shop or they were just messing!

More temptation!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭phormium

Oh I'd like a doughnut shop :)

Mind you the odd one I'd buy wouldn't keep them in business, I love a cinnamon bun from the market on a Saturday but always feel guilty just buying one every few weeks.

Advertisement