Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Was in the town park playground earlier. A group of about 7 teens sharing a vape machine. Cool dudes

I was there too, saw them also! Of all the places to hang out in the park, they choose the playground for kids!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

The Independent are reporting that there was a man in his 70's found dead in Boherbee tonight...I think near the Grotto, but I'm not sure on that.
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/body-of-man-found-lying-outside-house-in-co-kerry-36250964.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 152 ✭✭Karangue

Rip

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

Hi All,

I checked already some posts about Tralee but mostly they are old, and I will be very grateful if you could help me with the current post recession situation in Tralee.
    Personally I see Tralee as a lovely town with beautiful surroundings, easy access to nature and endless walks. With the current property situation in Ireland it also looks very affordable.
    We are a family with one child that is only 1 year old and my husband got good job as head chef in Killarney and because of that we are thinking to relocate. We avoid big town anyway, and so far we mostly were living on countryside or outside of towns in small developments.
    Killarney itself it is too overcrowded for me even it is beautiful I fell that it is to much going on there during the season and also it is very expensive to compare with Tralee.

So please help me out with few stuff:
    1. How do you feel living in Tralee? Do you feel it is nice place to leave regarding safety, schools, shops, walks and etc?
    2. Is there any particular school/ preschool also better that other?
    3. Is there a sense of community in town?
    4. how big is the Sat market? Can I find organic veg/ fruts no problem there or any other org shop?
    5. Can you say that there is enough activities for kids and adults in town?
    6. Does Tralee go the right direction now to be better town in future for our kids?
    7. what is you personal opinion about investing in property there and where would you recommend to live? a bit outside or closer to town? and which are to choose?

Thanks in advance and hoping it will help me to chose proper place to live.

I would say yes 100% it is a good place to move to and bring up kids. In the last few years the town has made huge strides to improve itself - it was traditionally an industrial town and looked very run down but I have seen massive improvements made in the last 10 years. No doubt you will find plenty of begrudgers to tell you otherwise

It's hard to say whether you should live in town or not, I live about 4 miles outside town and there are plenty good country schools if you choose to do so. I haven't really visited the farmer's market but there is an organic store in Tralee http://mannaorganicstore.ie/

Recommending areas to live or not to live in town would be a touchy subject to post publicly online :) you are always going to insult someone. Feel free to PM if you want to ask about a particular area

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Tralee is a place I think is very underrated, by locals as much as anything.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

keane2097 wrote: »
    Tralee is a place I think is very underrated, by locals as much as anything.

It has its flaws but location is second-to-none, considering everything we have on our doorstep.

It's a very walkable town, which is why I'd recommend living in the town/suburbs so as not to be a complete slave to your car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

There was an article in this weeks Kerry's Eye about the Novas operated shelter at Arlington Lodge. I don't tend to spend that much time in the town centre, is the area as effected as they say? There was complaints of things like abuse and drunkenness, drug paraphernalia and the gardai being called down there on a nearly daily basis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

Anyone see the fire works been thrown across the road, behind the brandon hotel last night? Across that sports field, gang of young "gangsta's".

I see part of the Oakpark Road is getting a much needed resurface!

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭phater phagan

Does anyone know were I can buy Bragg's Apple Cider vinegar in Tralee? I know Holland and Barretts carry it in England - not sure if the Tralee branch do. Ta.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 OscarWilde

Here's their phone number (066) 712 0937

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Pirates Ale

I presume 'A Sweet Tale Bakery' in Rock Street has closed it doors?

I presume 'A Sweet Tale Bakery' in Rock Street has closed it doors?

Yeah they closed about a week ago. They put up on Facebook a few weeks ago that they wanted to sell it. Then announced they were closing. They’re barely open a year.

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    Yeah they closed about a week ago. They put up on Facebook a few weeks ago that they wanted to sell it. Then announced they were closing. They’re barely open a year.
    They had lovely stuff at the start, but I think quality went down a tad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭phormium

I liked their stuff but from day one they were selling too cheaply for portion size.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Erik Shin

phormium wrote: »
    I liked their stuff but from day one they were selling too cheaply for portion size.

I thought the opposite...got a tiramisu slice one day and it was way too expensive,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭phormium

I was particularly partial to the cream doughnut, it was too cheap and huge! Practically big enough for two, they even used to put it into one of those plastic pod things that are meant for loaf cakes, expensive packaging for a single item as well. My guess is costings were way off.

There was some very good value there but we ordered a Birthday Cake there for the small lads party and it was pricey.
    When we arrived to collect in on the day they told us it was partly collapsed and we would have to give them a half an hour to 'fix' it.
    It was too late to go elsewhere
    It tasted well,but it collasped totally and looked a total mess at candle time. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭hanamandiol

Does anyone know were I can buy Bragg's Apple Cider vinegar in Tralee? I know Holland and Barretts carry it in England - not sure if the Tralee branch do. Ta.

in holland and barrett Tralee ,in Horan health stores(4 branches) Tralee,in Manna at small roundabout strand st

There was some very good value there but we ordered a Birthday Cake there for the small lads party and it was pricey.
    When we arrived to collect in on the day they told us it was partly collapsed and we would have to give them a half an hour to 'fix' it.
    It was too late to go elsewhere
    It tasted well,but it collasped totally and looked a total mess at candle time. :rolleyes:

I enquired how much a cake would be for my baby’s birthday but it was expensive so I didn’t order one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I see the Sweet shop on the corner of The Mall and Ashe St. has signs saying Wild health food cafe opening soon and are seeking staff.

We witnessed a car going the wrong way down the exit slip road onto the dual carriageway & then just turned off it towards Dromtacker roundabout! They were very lucky no one had decided to take that exit! Morons.

ongarboy wrote: »
    I see the Sweet shop on the corner of The Mall and Ashe St. has signs saying Wild health food cafe opening soon and are seeking staff.

Sounds good. Must let someone I know about that. They would love to work in a place like that.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

We witnessed a car going the wrong way down the exit slip road onto the dual carriageway & then just turned off it towards Dromtacker roundabout! They were very lucky no one had decided to take that exit! Morons.
    What was the rationale for not putting an on ramp at that exit. 1/4 of the movements is poor and would be handy for getting out of the area rather than having to navigate local roads to get back onto the bypas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Erik Shin

I see Every Occasion florist have moved in boherbee, gone to the empty unit beside the Slieve Mish bar

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭3 the square

I need new orthotics any one recommend any good place to get them I'm studying part time in North campus but would give a good price for right ones
    Pain in the shins from shin splints is unreal.

I need new orthotics any one recommend any good place to get them I'm studying part time in North campus but would give a good price for right ones
    Pain in the shins from shin splints is unreal.

I think there’s a place in Church street, which is near the Ashe hotel. I can’t think of the name of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭3 the square

I think there’s a place in Church street, which is near the Ashe hotel. I can’t think of the name of it.

Are they any good i wonder ?

Are they any good i wonder ?

No idea sorry.

• Advertisement

Erik Shin wrote: »
    I see Every Occasion florist have moved in boherbee, gone to the empty unit beside the Slieve Mish bar

Yeah saw their post on facebook. They did a lovely job of their new branding/shopfront, so a bigger premises will be great for them.

Advertisement