Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Took in stray cat - Cat flu

• 11-01-2016 10:05am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭

As the subject says last night I arrived home to find a cat sitting on my doorstep, initially I thought it was one of mine. I opened the door and it ran in through to the kitchen at that point I realized it wasn't. It seemed perfectly fine with my dog, chihuahua and passed no heed at my other two cats either which was rather bizarre.

I felt it and its incredibly skinny, bones can be felt etc. after checking her out ( I think it's female) I noticed breathing problems (I believe she has cat flu) , at this point I decided to separate the other cats. I have an adolescent cat 7 months and he hasn't been vaccinated, I'm going to bring him to vet today, he's an indoor cat. My priority is obviously my own cats so I've separated food, water and litter tray.

I don't intend to keep the cat but I want to at least get her nominally healthy again. She doesn't appear to be a typical stray though, apart from the fact she's emaciated. I've left her in the house today, hoping she will figure out what a litter tray is for... How long does cat flu normally take to pass?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

It's always better to treat it - it is very debilitating and of course the cat feels miserable. Might partly explain why she is so thin. I would definitely take her to the vet OP. And get her a worm dose, too.

Vaccination doesn't provide complete immunity from cat flu - it simply reduces the signs, should the cat become infected. Your cat won't have immunity until at least a week to ten days after their second shot - i.e. a minimum of a month from now, if you go back in three weeks rather than four, for the second shot. Also bear in mind that if she has the chlamydial form of cat flu, this is only included in the Fevaxyn Pentofel vaccine.

Definitely time to chat to your vet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Xcellor

boomerang wrote: »
    It's always better to treat it - it is very debilitating and of course the cat feels miserable. Might partly explain why she is so thin. I would definitely take her to the vet OP. And get her a worm dose, too.

Vaccination doesn't provide complete immunity from cat flu - it simply reduces the signs, should the cat become infected. Your cat won't have immunity until at least a week to ten days after their second shot - i.e. a minimum of a month from now, if you go back in three weeks rather than four, for the second shot. Also bear in mind that if she has the chlamydial form of cat flu, this is only included in the Fevaxyn Pentofel vaccine.

Definitely time to chat to your vet.

I want to deal with my own cat first and get at least the first vaccine done. I didnt know there was a follow up vaccine.

Concerning the stray she is eating well (mad appetite) and drinking well and is not overly lethargic so im going to observe her. Im cleaning her eyes nose etc. If i notice she is not improving ill bring to vet. Her belly is not swollen which normally happens with worms but ill get a tablet at vets this eve.

I may put her in the shed with some form of heating as its very difficult keeping a quarantine in the house!

Cat flu can cause permanent damage to the eyes and the lungs. Personally I would not wait. It could take weeks to run its course or may linger and not resolve at all, without antibiotics.

boomerang wrote: »
    Cat flu can cause permanent damage to the eyes and the lungs. Personally I would not wait. It could take weeks to run its course or may linger and not resolve at all, without antibiotics.

Ill talk to the vet im bringing my cat in for vaccine this eve. I want to limit exposure to the other cats as much as possible. I cant bring the two of them to the vet without exposing my cat.

From what i can see antibiotics are useless against cat flu which are both viruses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

OP you are very kind to take in and care for this cat. If its sheltered - even in your shed - and fed and warm, it will hopefully regain its strength

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

Cat flu is viral so antibiotics don't help unless theres a secondry bacterial infection, as in maybe a bacterial chest infection. OP Lysine is really fantastic in helping the symptoms of cat flu, just sprinkle it on the food, you can get it in capsule form, which you can break to use the powder, in health food shops.

aonb wrote: »
    OP you are very kind to take in and care for this cat. If its sheltered - even in your shed - and fed and warm, it will hopefully regain its strength

I went and got some kitten food because its usually more calorific and she devoured it. The vet gave me some antibiotics which he said could help the appetite but in fairness doesnt need any help with that... I got worming tablet so ill do that tomorrow.

Shes using the litter tray and have a box with vet bed and a small electric radiator just to take the chill off.

Shes a sweet cat and despite feeling like ****e shes still trying to purr. Could take a week or so before she stops showing symptoms. She seems really comfortable. I thought she might go a bit bat**** crazy in the shed but she took herself to bed...

Ill update thread at some point when she starts to pick up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

Sounds like she has her paws in under the blanky alright ;)

Youre very good to help a sick cat.

Xcellor wrote: »
    From what i can see antibiotics are useless against cat flu which are both viruses.

The effect of the virus on the respiratory tract and the conjunctiva of the eyes invites bacteria to multiply. Watery eyes, greenish discharge from the eyes or nose, wheezing, hacking cough - all indicators of bacterial infection secondary to cat flu.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭kathleen37

Really, you're a star for looking after her like this. Thank you!!! I hope she recovers quickly.

• Advertisement

Kitty is making progress still quite blocked up eating well. I wormed her yesterday. I thought she may want to stretch her legs a bit but she seems to not want to leave the shed.

Then I started to think maybe she could be pregnant? Would it even be possible for a cat so skinny to get pregnant?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

Xcellor wrote: »
    Would it even be possible for a cat so skinny to get pregnant?

Yes. She absolutely could be.

Thats she is eating well is a great sign, one of ours had an upper respiratory infection a while ago and she just stopped eating because she couldnt smell her food. She went downhill very quickly too, dehydrated and very weak.

Yes. She absolutely could be.

Thats she is eating well is a great sign, one of ours had an upper respiratory infection a while ago and she just stopped eating because she couldnt smell her food. She went downhill very quickly too, dehydrated and very weak.

Cat who I refuse to name is making progress but still snotted up. She is meowing though and looks bright enough.

I dont think shes preggers at least there arent any obvious signs.

Im giving her lysine as suggested in previous posts and shes finishing anti biotics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Try giving a little natural yogurt after it finishes the anti biopics, also our old boy who suffers with flare ups more and more as he ages got a shot of B vitamin after and made a huge improvement for quite some time.

Advertisement