Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alternatives to Créche

Options
  • 11-01-2016 11:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

We have a 21mo son. At the moment he is going daily to a baby care station near our home. However, we considering of other alternatives, more productive or more active. In other countries, there are sports facilities for toddlers, painting sessions, music, constructing, etc.

What other options do we have here in Ireland?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Lucuma

what's a baby care station?

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Wizard!

Where you can leave your baby/child for 8 hours a day, when you are at work.
    Is there another word for that? The sign outside says "Baby Créche"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Lucuma

I think they have to be 3 to start playschool but I'm not 100% sure. Once they start playschool you can choose one that includes the kind of activities you mention. Also you're entitled to 2 years free playschool now for your child once they turn 3.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

We have all those things in Ireland but usually someone has to bring them to the sessions and stay with them.
    My kids started play school at 2 years and 9 months but our play school has a few different classes in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

A lot of play schools start from 2 years old. They take children usually for about 3 hours per day. It's seen as learning/educational/social as opposed to childcare. Hence the reason it's only for 3 hours per day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

The montessori mine attend take children once they're potty trained. Otherwise our minder does activities with them like painting, cooking and reading when she has them before and after school. On days when I have them and they aren't in school I get out and about with them to a local play cafe, museums (they usually have a kids corner), libraries etc. They do swimming once a week, we go to a local pool where it's an open session you pay for per visit. They might start rugby tots or something when they're a bit older.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

my 20 month old in crèche where he paints, doesn't messy play water/sand/clay etc.,

he makes cakes things, glues stuff to paper. they do singing, reading etc.

At weekends we cook with him at home, go to parks, play centres, play cafes and he goes to football training on Sundays

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 736 ✭✭✭chillin117

Au Pair ?

John Mason wrote: »
    At weekends we cook with him at home, go to parks, play centres, play cafes and he goes to football training on Sundays
    20 mo and plays football? I cannot get mine play with the same toy for more than 20 minutes...
    chillin117 wrote: »
    Au Pair ?
    You mean a child minder? Unfortunately, all the Gardai registered near us, cannot accept more children.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Wizard! wrote: »
    20 mo and plays football? I cannot get mine play with the same toy for more than 20 minutes...

You mean a child minder? Unfortunately, all the Gardai registered near us, cannot accept more children.

He doesn't "play" football, he goes to football training - there is a difference :) he has been going since he was 18 months old. He loves it and he sleeps really well afterwards, lots of running around, listening to instructions, waiting your turn, learning colours etc. highly recommend it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭youandme13

Where is the football training?? My son is almost four and loves football would love to get him playing!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

youandme13 wrote: »
    Where is the football training?? My son is almost four and loves football would love to get him playing!!

Look up "little kickers". They have classes all over Ireland. My 3yo has been going since he was 2.5 and I'm going to sign my 21 month old up aswell. They take kids from 18months. They love it!

Sligo1 wrote: »
    Look up "little kickers". They have classes all over Ireland. My 3yo has been going since he was 2.5 and I'm going to sign my 21 month old up aswell. They take kids from 18months. They love it!
    From their website info, they seem to have only in Dublin & Cork.
    http://www.littlekickers.ie/signup.aspx

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 736 ✭✭✭chillin117

Wizard! wrote: »

I meant a live in child minder

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Couchkitten

I think you need a new crèche. What exactly is your child doing during the day?

My LO has been in a crèche since 18 months and does singing, dancing, paint and other art, messy play with sand and foam and many other activities. Most of the crèches I looked at had the same and they are required by the HSE to have activities like these. The crèche should be able to show you a weekly schedule of activities for even their youngest babies.

I think you need a new crèche.
    I think the same, however at the moment, there is no empty slot in any nearby.

Advertisement